March 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing and Posing II

Comments

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284
    edited March 2021

Linwelly said:

@Alias52   lot's of tdetail in your render, it's a bit unfortunate that we see only bit's of the poses but I like what I see. I think this could gain from playing with camera angles a bit

Tried a bit of tweaking. Changed the camera angle and added a couple more soldiers. Computer is starting to sob...

Gallery Image

Post edited by Alias52 on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 415
    edited March 2021

vamok said:

katywhite said:

Title: So Comfy

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

Reference photo and my attempt at its recreation. Feedback would be highly appreciated!

This appears to be a 3Dlight render, which I rarely use, of a dog, which I have never toyed with, so my comments may not be helpful. The first thing I would like to see is more of the dog. Currently, it is so bright it is washed out. I do not know how to change the lighting in 3Dlight  but I think toning it down would be a nice touch. I love the reference photo and your doggo looks pretty close, but please, give the pup a wee bit less direct sunlight :-)

@Linwelly

@vamok

Thank you both for your feedback.

I've tried to reduce the lighting by advancing the time from 1pm to 3pm and adding a bit of a haze. I've also tinted the white fur to a bit of a grey and increased the glossy roughness so it won't be so blaring white.

Just some background for this piece...

It is actually Iray not 3delight. Not just the render engine I used but the materials, etc. are all Iray. I used the millenial dog but used a Iray fur shader because the original dog skin was brown and I was trying to make him a bit more fuzzy. For lighting I'm using time of day since the photo was outside.

pose dog test grayier 3_edited.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886

@vamok I really like this with the new light, looks like a scene from a game teaser. I'm probably wrong here, but wouldn't it look better if you added leaves to the right side as well? The brigh colors sort of draw the eye to the left, away from the action - if you added them on both sides it might frame it nicely. Or maybe add them to the right, since you already have a bit of color on the left from the hair, while the ogre has no colorful bits.

And since we're on the subject of posing, do you guys have any tips on figuring when the feet are properly aligned with the floor while posing? My way is to load a floor with a bright color, but it's still pretty hard to see. I tend too look from under the floor, to see if there's any poke-through.

• vamokvamok Posts: 238

katywhite 

The lighting adjustment really brought out the definition on the dog, Nice!

ioonrxoon said:

@vamok I really like this with the new light, looks like a scene from a game teaser. I'm probably wrong here, but wouldn't it look better if you added leaves to the right side as well? The brigh colors sort of draw the eye to the left, away from the action - if you added them on both sides it might frame it nicely. Or maybe add them to the right, since you already have a bit of color on the left from the hair, while the ogre has no colorful bits.

And since we're on the subject of posing, do you guys have any tips on figuring when the feet are properly aligned with the floor while posing? My way is to load a floor with a bright color, but it's still pretty hard to see. I tend too look from under the floor, to see if there's any poke-through.

I will have to toy around with the other plant and see how it looks, It never hurts to try. Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

You know about the Control + D shortcut to move your figure to the floor, yes? Other than that I am also using the methods you mentioned.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Here is version 3 of my image.  I have made some minor adjustments

• Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited March 2021

Alias52 said:

Linwelly said:

@Alias52   lot's of tdetail in your render, it's a bit unfortunate that we see only bit's of the poses but I like what I see. I think this could gain from playing with camera angles a bit

Tried a bit of tweaking. Changed the camera angle and added a couple more soldiers. Computer is starting to sob...

Gallery Image

flowerpunch.png
    721 x 510 - 267K
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on

vamok said:

katywhite 

The lighting adjustment really brought out the definition on the dog, Nice!

Thanks! :)

edited March 2021

Title: Reflecting on the Long Journey Ahead

Second entry - Reference photo and my attempt at its recreation. Feedback would be highly appreciated!

My image:

Reference Image:

francisco-camino-SGYUJtn8pqI-unsplash.jpg
    3199 x 4798 - 2M
    Pose Challenge Person 1_edited.png
    1600 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by katywhite on
    edited March 2021

katywhite said:

Title: Reflecting on the Long Journey Ahead

Second entry - Reference photo and my attempt at its recreation. Feedback would be highly appreciated!

I'll chime in again with my O.C.D. eye. First, let me say this is an odd image and you have a very good start. Please know that I am only making observations. I do not intend to come off as snobby or overly critical. I swear it is just the obsessive compulsion talking :-)

Here is what I see different from your reference image:

His booty is a little higher in the reference making a nice arc up from his shoulder blades and back down toward his extended foot (This is a very slight difference).

His back leg "intersects" his foreleg at the knee in your reference. Your character's foot is much closer to the pelvis.

The reference image's shoulders are rotated away from the camera so that you do not see his upper back, which makes sense the way he is extending his left arm.

The reference image's left hand has a more relaxed, curved feel to it. Also, the fingertips on the right hand are slightly curved and digging into the sand.

It is hard to tell from the reference but it looks like his right toes may be in contact with the wet sand...(trying to determine this from the reflection)

Lastly, and this is not a beginner bit of advice, but it would be epic, is if you could add enough glossiness to the ground plane to get a bit of a reflection! Maybe someone can hint about how to pull that off...

I just noticed the dirt on his body and face. Very cool! I am looking forward to seeing how this pieced develops.

Post edited by vamok on

Rogues Inn Waiting

Intermediate

First play with a second scene for this month. Already have a few ideas to add to this, as the Inn is underpopulated but I wanted to see what it looked like.

edited March 2021

The Blight

Intermediate Challenge - version C

ioonrxoon said:

@ioonrxoon - Nope, I don't think you are wrong. Do you still think you are wrong? Thank you for the advice!

Oh, I should also mention this "ogre" is actually a troll (Troll HD for Floyd 8)

the blight v3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by vamok on
  • Sorry for not posting for a while, but I was distracted by the IWD contest DAZ is running.

Hot Scramble

Version B for Intermediate challenge entry #2

@Linwelly - I attempted the flashing light thing to add some excitement/drama.

This took 2 days and 10 hours to get to 90% rendere, at which time it shut down, because I never imagined I would need more time/iterations then that.

I probably could have bought a new computer with all of the funds I have thrown at March Madness sales....sigh

hot scramble v2.png
    2000 x 1708 - 5M
  • perlkperlk Posts: 847
    edited March 2021

Hi everyone, this is my entry into the beginner's posing challenge! I used to be a permanent fixture here on the Daz forums until I left to go have kids, etc... I am a Poser user, or was until I upgraded my computer. Since I can't get Poser to run right, I started using Daz Studio a few weeks ago and it's definitely a lot different than Poser!

This pose would have been a lot easier if I could figure out inverse kinematics in Daz Studio. Advice welcome! Thanks!

Title: Ballet

Software: DAZ 3D

dancer.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    beautiful-young-woman-dancing-dance-studio_23-2147856636.jpg
    626 x 937 - 155K
    Post edited by perlk on
  • _7_7 Posts: 0

Title: Jump

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

Heyo! My first attempt at posing--sorry that the image isn't very creative! Would really appreciate feedback c:
    I tried for a bit to get the lighting like in the reference as well, but I couldn't quite figure it out in the end.

pose-jump1.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 148K
    55c7440ba98b9724157684e99e81bab0.jpg
    600 x 900 - 37K

vamok said:

Hot Scramble

Version B for Intermediate challenge entry #2

@Linwelly - I attempted the flashing light thing to add some excitement/drama.

This took 2 days and 10 hours to get to 90% rendere, at which time it shut down, because I never imagined I would need more time/iterations then that.

I probably could have bought a new computer with all of the funds I have thrown at March Madness sales....sigh

I really think the extra lighting has worked well. It really shows the textures better. I also like the tweak to the background aircraft with the adding of missiles.

Alias52 said:

vamok said:

Hot Scramble

I really think the extra lighting has worked well. It really shows the textures better. I also like the tweak to the background aircraft with the adding of missiles.

Thank you. I forgot to mention the ordinance loaded onto the Condor aircraft. Good eye! 

perlotk_326646d265 said:

Hi everyone, this is my entry into the beginner's posing challenge! I used to be a permanent fixture here on the Daz forums until I left to go have kids, etc... I am a Poser user, or was until I upgraded my computer. Since I can't get Poser to run right, I started using Daz Studio a few weeks ago and it's definitely a lot different than Poser!

This pose would have been a lot easier if I could figure out inverse kinematics in Daz Studio. Advice welcome! Thanks!

Welcome Back. You are off to an excellent start.

I would really like to see you implement the elegant curvature of the wrist on the upraised arm. Do you see that beautiful bend in her wrist? That may be beyond the Genesis Model's ability, I am unsure. You may have to unlock the limits a bit. The other thing is her leading foot. In the image are the toes curled a bit with a bit of arch to her foot. You have picked a beautiful pose with a lot of pronounced curves. The challenge will be getting as close as possible. Let's see what you can do! 

edited March 2021

_7 said:

Title: Jump

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

Heyo! My first attempt at posing--sorry that the image isn't very creative! Would really appreciate feedback c:
    I tried for a bit to get the lighting like in the reference as well, but I couldn't quite figure it out in the end.

Greetings. This is a strong start.

Lighting is hard, and I do not profess to have it figured out yet. After careful consideration, I am still trying to figure out how they lit the reference model. The shadow on her arm is sharp, but the shadow on her legs is not. That is cool, but I do not know how to achieve that. Hopefully, a photographer will pitch in. What I would recommend in the meantime, is to change the background from black to something lighter. Use a room wall or throw a primitive plain behind her (create - new primitive - plane), tip it on its side, and add a shader. Alternatively, you can go to the environment tab, select backdrop from the 'type' dropdown menu, and pick a color for the background.

If you use the primitive it will provide a surface that will interact with the light. I do not think the background will, but it will change the overall look to be more similar to your reference. Once, you have a lighter background you can make a better "apples to apples" comparison.

I hope that is helpful in some way. I look forward to seeing how this comes along!

EDIT: It also appears they are using a tighter spread angle because her right leg isn't getting much direct light from the knee down. You may want to experiment with the spread angle in your lighting tab or play with the distance of your light in relation to your model. All pure guesswork...shrug. I also just noticed that it appears that the flesh on her lower back, right shoulder blade, and upper left leg are the darkest areas on your reference image. That may help you perfect your light positioning. Good luck, I barely know what I am talking about :-)

Post edited by vamok on

Great! I didn't think about turning limits off. I was struggling to get her to bend the way I wanted to. I'll try that - thank you!

vamok said:

perlotk_326646d265 said:

Welcome Back. You are off to an excellent start.

I would really like to see you implement the elegant curvature of the wrist on the upraised arm. Do you see that beautiful bend in her wrist? That may be beyond the Genesis Model's ability, I am unsure. You may have to unlock the limits a bit. The other thing is her leading foot. In the image are the toes curled a bit with a bit of arch to her foot. You have picked a beautiful pose with a lot of pronounced curves. The challenge will be getting as close as possible. Let's see what you can do! 

Here's my revised version. I definitely needed to turn off limits to achieve it but it's closer, I think!

dancer2.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M

perlotk_326646d265 said:

Here's my revised version. I definitely needed to turn off limits to achieve it but it's closer, I think!

Yes! Very nice! 

• Title: Solid

Software: Daz Studio, Postwork in Topaz 2

Hello everyone, I am so happy to join you. This is my first time posting and all critique is welcome. Thank you!

Source Image.jpg
    465 x 700 - 38K
    Solid.jpg
    848 x 851 - 279K
    edited March 2021

isis4444merlin said:

Title: Solid

Hello everyone, I am so happy to join you. This is my first time posting and all critique is welcome. Thank you!

Welcome! What an odd posing set. Despite that, you have faithfully recreated it with notable accuracy.

The only difference I am spotting on my initial viewing is a bend in the female's left wrist. whereas you have modeled it laying smoothly against the shoulder. Personally, I like your rendition better than the original, but if you wanted to match the reference image you might have to unlock the limits on the wrist. Her fingers are also not as relaxed on the left hand as you have portrayed them. Once again, I think your model looks more graceful regarding her hand/finger position, so you will have to decide whether or not to follow the reference.

Edit: I also noticed from the attachment pics that the reference model's left leg is positioned a little more to the left (counter-clockwise if her leg were a minute hand) than your rendition. I am betting this will require removing the limits from the hip...or something in that neighborhood. There is a small difference here, be gentle.

Note: This is a posing challenge and your lighting is fine, so take the following info as creative input that you may, or may not wish to apply to your render :-)

In the reference image, the light is actually behind the figures and the shadows are cast forward. This results in a really nice highlight along the viewer's right side of the image (edge of the female's left leg, male's left bicep, etc). The shadows also appear to be a bit softer in the reference image.

To soften the shadows you can play with the spotlight distance and/or change the type of light in the parameters to rectangle or disc. Increase the height and width from 10 to a larger value to get softer shadows.

If you choose to make the primary light coming from the right/rear as in the reference I would definitely make a copy of your original save first. I am not sure how many lights you have in your scene, but you will certainly need a light coming from the front so there is not too much shadow on the characters' front sides. Of course, you would have to be careful with the distance/spread angle so that did not wash out your beautiful shadows.

That may be more trouble than it is worth...but it would be a great learning experience. Even if we never see it here. It depends on how much free time you have :-)

Keep up the great work!

Post edited by vamok on
  • perlotk_326646d265 said:

the camera is also better I think

• Title: Solid

I took a stab at the corrections/suggestions given by vamok earlier. I am so grateful for the feedback. Like many others, I am learning on my own and help is deeply appreciated :- )

I will also explore the lighting suggestions when I have more time...I struggle a lot with lighting and welcome the guidance.

Source Image.jpg
    465 x 700 - 38K
    Solid.jpg
    848 x 851 - 277K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,798

sorry for the late welcome, glad you joined us @sis4444merlin

You've made a great entrance with a really complex posing challenge the only thing I see that looks a bit odd is his left hand which seems to collide with his shoulder. I'ts hard to say from the front though, but maybe check that from the side

welcome to the DAZ side of things @perlotk_326646d265 I can imagine it's quite different from Poser

I think you've come pretty close to the pose with your character already. I think you can give her pectorals a push upwards wo help the little details. The legs already look perfect. her upper body probably bends and turns backwards only with the lower chest bones and her neck is even a bit more stretched

Glad to see a lot new folks here, so welcome to you as well @_7

I think for the light or rather coloration of you image a simple off while background would already help a lot, simplest thing would be posing a plane upright behind your character and give it a light grey colouring. (you probably need to reduce the glossyness, since the primitives come in a very glossy surface)

Your posing is already off to a good start. Now the details can be a challenge. there is more bent and twist in the original. her left hand looks perfect, the right hand needs a bit stronger bend and a slight twist to turn the palm a tad more to the camera and her neck needs a stronger bend and twist as well. probaly try to pull the collarbones a bit more as well