New User Contest - October 2014 (WIP Thread)

13»

Comments

• KzickasKzickas Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

Trick or Treat

Trick_or_treat.jpg
    800 x 533 - 77K
  • XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited October 2014

Atticus Bones, nice work with the zombie look! You did a great on the German officer and rife as well. janerik_l, Nice scene, the baddies could have a little bit more light. It reminds me of a scene from the "purge".

Post edited by Xangth on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,460
    edited December 1969

janerik_l said:
    Trick or Treat

Nice job so far. You may wanna put a low intensity light in to highlight the figures in the back

edited December 1969

Ok, so I added a weak bluish distant light and made the spot light on the woman a bit weaker and made it slightly warmer. Now you see the pose of the baddie on the left better though so I'll need to make it a bit more dynamic looking

Trick_or_treat.jpg
    800 x 533 - 154K
  • cleerenadriaancleerenadriaan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

is it hard to make something like this? or does the program explains itself?

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

is it hard to make something like this? or does the program explains itself?

Welcome cleerenadriaan.

There are some free tutorials in the DAZ store which will help explain the process. (I am assuming at this point you are referring to DAZ Studio.)

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-originals/create-fiery-genesis-in-daz-studio

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-originals/sci-fi-warrior-bundle

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-originals/inside-the-asylum-bundle

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-originals/day-at-the-beach-bundle

http://www.daz3d.com/daz-originals/slaying-the-dragon-bundle

These have the added bonus of including the props, clothing, etc that you will need. If you have any specific questions there is always someone around that can help.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Depending on whether you're referring to Daz Studio or Poser (I started off with the latter, but had my reasons for swiftly moving to the former; mainly the auto-installer), You Tube has some great videos to start getting you going.

Just search for 'daz studio tutorial' and you should find them!

• spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

I call her Valkyrie in Flight, just for starters

Valkyrie_in_Flight.jpg
    846 x 772 - 334K
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

I've added a couple really dim spotlights just to make sure the rugs are able to be seen.

Welcome.png
    900 x 506 - 546K
    edited October 2014

A new idea; Still working on it. Suggestions and comments are most welcome.
    No Postwork.
    I was thinking of a title of "The Unwanted"

possesed3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 41K
    Post edited by Xangth on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited October 2014

janerik_l said:
    Ok, so I added a weak bluish distant light and made the spot light on the woman a bit weaker and made it slightly warmer. Now you see the pose of the baddie on the left better though so I'll need to make it a bit more dynamic looking

The lighting is looking great, though it might still be very slightly too dark (at least for my taste). I agree with making the figure on the left's pose more dynamic, and maybe also the woman...if you can add just a little more panic to her pose or [removed]without going overboard) that might help to build the suspense. Maybe her hands would be one place to focus on. I like it very much just the way it is, though, so do what feels right to you.

Edit: For some reason the word e-x-p-r-e-s-s-i-o-n got removed from my post above (I've seen that before...I think the forum might be interpreting it as code or something). But that's what I meant, in case anyone was wondering. :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

spmwc said:
    I call her Valkyrie in Flight, just for starters

Very nice. One thing with the lighting...with the sky like that, I'd expect to see more warm colors on the figure's skin and clothing. Make sure your lights are consistent with what's going on in the scene. You might also play with the morphs on the hair and clothes a bit more to try to achieve a wilder, more windswept look. Good work so far.
    edited December 1969

I've added a couple really dim spotlights just to make sure the rugs are able to be seen.

This keeps getting better every time you post an update. :) If it were my render, at this point I'd probably turn my attention to surface settings, to try to get a bit more realism out of the skin and other materials.
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    A new idea; Still working on it. Suggestions and comments are most welcome.
    No Postwork.
    I was thinking of a title of "The Unwanted"

I love the contrasts of color and light/darkness. The poses and expressions are nice, too, though it kind of looks like the male's attention is directed somewhere to the side of the ghostly female character. There's a strong sense of tension already, but if it was clearer that the two characters were really focused on each other I think that tension would be heightened. I'd like to see a little more light coming in from the front (from the viewer's direction). Nice start!
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

This keeps getting better every time you post an update. :) If it were my render, at this point I'd probably turn my attention to surface settings, to try to get a bit more realism out of the skin and other materials.

I was actually just thinking about that yesterday. Unfortunately that's one area I haven't even messed with yet so I'm pretty clueless :(

edited December 1969

I was actually just thinking about that yesterday. Unfortunately that's one area I haven't even messed with yet so I'm pretty clueless :(
    Some of the previous new user contests have some good information for getting started with surfaces, materials, and shaders:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19908/
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29938/

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

I don't think I'll get to finish either the WIP I already posted, or the one still sitting in my To Do Folder. Life is pretty busy right now. Wish you all luck and a lot of fun! :)

edited December 1969

Trying to hurry with mine! Know what you mean!

edited December 1969

Tweaked the stance of the monster and the lightng a bit further. I know I could improve the woman's pose, but the reason I put the lights as I did originally was to cover her hands in shadow because I'd given up trying to pose them in a way that looked natural.

Alley.jpg
    800 x 533 - 175K
    edited October 2014

Thank you for the suggestions. I reworked the characters a bit, added a few more things. I was trying to make it as spooky as possible. There is not much time left. Comment and suggestions are welcome.

Here is the newest render so far, no post-work.

possesed5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 54K
    Post edited by Xangth on
    edited October 2014

Unless someone wants to critique the basic characters I've come up with in pure static poses, I'm not sure it'll be worth placing my in-progress render here, because of the deadline. Managed to finally get all the characters and clothing how I mostly want them.

Tomorrow shall be taken up with rendering a surrounding environment, poses, lighting and smoke effects within Daz Studio's render. Composition, basically. Then I'm hopefully done!

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,460
    edited December 1969

Just a reminder. Today is the last day for submission so get your images uploaded into the entry thread.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

Depending on whether you're referring to Daz Studio or Poser (I started off with the latter, but had my reasons for swiftly moving to the former; mainly the auto-installer), You Tube has some great videos to start getting you going.

Just search for 'daz studio tutorial' and you should find them!

I can not recommend this tutorial more highly!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGqlyOS_fA

After more than 10 years of trying to get myself to learn to use these 3D programs, trying the official tutorials, and giving up, THIS video got me going an interested!

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Just a reminder. Today is the last day for submission so get your images uploaded into the entry thread.

Juuuuust made it! So much trouble trying to get a relevant environment and lighting working together right... Then miraculously managed to find just the right combination.

edited December 1969

The contest is now closed. Good luck everyone!