New User Contest - October 2014 (WIP Thread)

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Alright, I think I managed to get the eyes bright enough :)

What do you guys think, what needs fixed?

Good choice on making the gremlin eyes brighter; I'd also have missed they were there otherwise. Nice room setup. What products are you using for the room and gremlins?

Nice use of the shadow on the wall. Does her demeanor mean she's happy to see him?

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

The gremlin is this guy http://www.daz3d.com/gremlin scaled to 50%
    The room is this piece http://www.daz3d.com/the-living-room
    I added a bookcase from this http://www.daz3d.com/the-bookcase-collection
    Then I have V4 with shadows turned off and behind her is another V4 using the creature creator with phantom turned on :)

Originally the idea was to have the gremlins barely noticeable (they were hiding after all) but needed to bring attention to them so they wouldn't be missed. Between the lighting and half behind objects, I could barely see them and I put them there.

The thought is She's seducing/enticing the visitor (viewer) where they will meet a very bloody death. I attempted to give her a proper facial expression that would portray that, but it may not have come out as I hoped. I may have to do the finger curl "come here" gesture to make it more obvious?

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited December 1969

The thought is She's seducing/enticing the visitor (viewer) where they will meet a very bloody death. I attempted to give her a proper facial expression that would portray that, but it may not have come out as I hoped. I may have to do the finger curl "come here" gesture to make it more obvious?

DM's products often including an "enticing" pose or two.
    I also love how the gremlins are trying their best to hide as not to spoil the surprise.

edited October 2014

A combination of two of the most common "baddies".

grey.jpg
    720 x 960 - 456K
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • les-2605719les-2605719 Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Nice one Atticus!

That last pic is cool looking!
    I did some more work on my scene, but being a newbie I lost my last render camera pose,,, ugh
    I'm going to have to keep messing with my focal point because I really like the view on my first attempt, but
    I learned a lot more from my mistake. So its all good! Its close but still not the same.
    Anyways I need to work on my skins of my Undead in the back ground.
    Because right now they don't look the part.

Trying to find a link to make my own textures for them.
    Any tips or links to Tutorials.would be appreciated.

All Comments Welcomed

The_Sulking_Dead_3.png
    935 x 701 - 701K
  • les-2605719les-2605719 Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Say,
    I resized the last one to be more square like my first attempt, but
    does this wide screen look better? I think it might.

The_Sulking_Dead_1.png
    1512 x 701 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Great start, les! I think the widescreen version look better too. To me the other version looks a little "squished".
    Lots of of good stuff going on: Nice POV, atmospheric lighting, and it's got an uncomfortable, almost claustrophobic feel (in a good way).
    Maybe try adding some depth of field to your camera to blur out the foreground and create an even more enclosed focal point...
    Also, do you have any photo editing software? A few simple adjustments would really bring out the details and increase the overall clarity.

edited December 1969

She's now winking and gesturing with her finger. That definitely makes the seductive part of the render a bit more obvious. I'm not sure the shadow and gremlins are doing enough for the ominous doom part though...

Welcome.png
    900 x 506 - 558K
    edited December 1969

Les,
    I agree with Atticus. I was going to post something about it looking squished or deformed but hadn't gotten around to it yet. The 2nd widescreen is much better :)

edited December 1969

A combination of two of the most common "baddies".

Great character, Atticus. :)

edited December 1969

She's now winking and gesturing with her finger. That definitely makes the seductive part of the render a bit more obvious. I'm not sure the shadow and gremlins are doing enough for the ominous doom part though...

kaotbliss, when there are lights in your scene, and you disable them, it makes everything in your scene black. Disable visiblity on everything but your figure so she is a black silhouette and study your pose. You want that pose to read, especially since you have her beckoning with her crooked finger. Using a silhouette helps you see how strong your pose is or if you need to change it to read better. The stronger your silhouette, the more readily the pose reads.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure the shadow and gremlins are doing enough for the ominous doom part though...
    How about a devil tail peaking out the back of the skirt, or a demonic hand concealed behind her back?
  • XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Try folding the wings and seeing if it looks any better. Sometimes, it helps to give elements a more defined emphasis to show what they are meant to be. In shadows, especially.

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

wow lots of great stuff from everyone this month!! Competition is hard as usual.

I have a few ideas but this one seems to be the best of them as yet. I'm still working on it.

No title on this yet. comments and suggestions are welcome.

east_wing2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 36K
    edited December 1969

Adjusted the arm a little more, also adjusted the wings (thanks for those bits of advice :) )
    Also added some cobwebs and I'm trying to figure a way to bring attention to the blood-stained rug in front of the bookcase...

Welcome.png
    900 x 506 - 569K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Added some misty/fog.

New_User_Oct,_2014_Entry_One_22.jpg
    1060 x 848 - 842K
    edited December 1969

Everyone is doing a great job. Glad I am not a judge.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited October 2014

Nice progress, everyone!

Atticus Bones: what you need at this point, I think, is a splash of color. Maybe a colored spotlight would do the trick? Maybe tweak the pose/expression a bit too...right now it has a "mug shot from Hell" feeling which I'm not sure properly captures the sense of horror you are going for. Another thing to consider...what's to say that this isn't an image of someone in a really impressive Halloween costume? Is there something you can add that will increase the viewer's appreciation that we're talking about real zombie Nazis? Because that would be truly terrifying...

les: I like the widescreen angle better. At this point I'd focus on the lighting and on the main character's expression.

kaotkbliss: This is coming together really nicely! Increasing the shadow softness a little might yield a nice effect. What is the source of the light that's casting the shadow? Any way we can make that light a more dominant part of your light rig?

Xangth: In your case the lighting on the figure is excellent and I'd start concentrating on the composition of the image. Maybe move the woman off to the side (rule of thirds)? I'd also think about ways to draw attention to the shadowy background figure without actually putting much more light on it. Giving it a little more prominence in the scene can help to enhance the sense of dread and horror in the viewer.

Kismet2012: love the overall atmosphere! Your rider blends in a bit...I'd think about adding a rim light to help draw the viewer's eye. Even if it doesn't really make logical sense to have a light source there...that's something that horror and suspense movies do a lot.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

kaotkbliss: This is coming together really nicely! Increasing the shadow softness a little might yield a nice effect. What is the source of the light that's casting the shadow? Any way we can make that light a more dominant part of your light rig?

I've got 3 lights in my scene (a linear point light in the fireplace using an orange color, a spotlight at a very low strength lighting up the back wall, and the main spotlight off to the left to cast the demon shadow on the wall)

When you say increase the shadow softness, do you mean to increase the value making the shadow darker or decrease the value to make the shadow lighter? Other than changing the intensity or adding an !uber volume to the light, I'm not sure what else I could do with it.

edited December 1969

I was speaking of the light that's casting the demon shadow. If you select that light and go to the Parameters pane (or the Lights pane), in the Shadows section there should be a control for Shadow Softness. This controls how hard (sharp) or soft (fuzzy) the shadow will look. Softer shadows are usually more attractive; hard shadows tend to be more dramatic. In this case I'd try something like 20% and then go higher or lower as needed.

edited December 1969

Thanks Scott for the feedback. You confirmed something I was feeling as well.

I added an additional spotlight to try and highlight the figure. Hopefully I have done that without it being to obvious or look out of place.

New_User_Oct,_2014_Entry_One_24.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 756K
    edited October 2014

Atticus Bones: what you need at this point, I think, is a splash of color. Maybe a colored spotlight would do the trick? Maybe tweak the pose/expression a bit too...right now it has a "mug shot from Hell" feeling which I'm not sure properly captures the sense of horror you are going for. Another thing to consider...what's to say that this isn't an image of someone in a really impressive Halloween costume? Is there something you can add that will increase the viewer's appreciation that we're talking about real zombie Nazis? Because that would be truly terrifying...

Thanks, Scott. I'm going to follow your advice and I'm totally reworking the zombie into a more convincing corpse.

I originally dialed down the Naziness by removing all insignia because I was unsure of guidelines, but now I see that there's also a product in the Daz store with a swastika and sig runes, so I presume i'm ok to crank in back up in this context?

edited December 1969

I was speaking of the light that's casting the demon shadow. If you select that light and go to the Parameters pane (or the Lights pane), in the Shadows section there should be a control for Shadow Softness. This controls how hard (sharp) or soft (fuzzy) the shadow will look. Softer shadows are usually more attractive; hard shadows tend to be more dramatic. In this case I'd try something like 20% and then go higher or lower as needed.

Ahh, I see. I was thinking of the Shadow Intensity setting. I couldn't check to be sure as I had a 10 hour render going.
    I'm playing with that setting now :)

edited December 1969

Alright, so I changed the shadow softness (35%), that really does look a lot better!
    I also decreased the spread of the light to darken the corners of the image up a bit more (sets the image "feel" a little better I think)

Welcome.png
    900 x 506 - 536K
    edited December 1969

Better? :)

zombie.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 413K
    edited December 1969

Kismet2012, kaotkbliss and Atticus Bones: nice improvement, all of you!

edited December 1969

Thank you :)
    As I just found out with another render I'm working on, my monitor at home might be a bit brighter so images are coming out too dark on other monitors (such as the one I'm using right now)

Is that the case with this render? On my work monitor I can't even see the rugs on the floor :(

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited October 2014

Thank you for the suggestions! it is a help. I changed a few things, added some things and retextured things. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Title: Ghouls in the Old East Wing:

gouls_in_east_wing.jpg
    800 x 800 - 53K
    Post edited by Xangth on
  • wflakswflaks Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

The Gathering

DAZ 4.6,post work GIMP2

Making them cute but deadly

3_witches.jpg
    800 x 450 - 264K
    edited October 2014

The Raspberry Virus (a work in progress).

berryvirus.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 361K