(Released!) Vellus Horizon Shader System USER GUIDE IN COMMENTS

Comments

• Daventaki said:

Those Things said:

Well now, that's strange. It should absolutely go to the lip line. It did in all my tests, and I tested about 25 different characters. Is there any chance that you altered your character's shaping after you created your geoshell? I'm not even sure that would matter, just guessing here. 

Did not change the shape and cannot remember if I did the smile before or after the geoshell.  Will test further to see what I get.

Update: I stand corrected, it does go all the way to the lip.  I tried a few mouth smile morphs and couldn't repeat so maybe a fluke or the character I used...  (The morphed jacked up the teeth also, don't know if that holds any bearing at all but maybe thats why it didn't work quite right.)

Whew! Mystery solved. :) 

• lilweep said:

SimonJM said:

lilweep said:

when will you be releasing g8m if at all?

In theory, load G8M, add Geoshell, go to Surfaces and change UV map from Base Male to Base Female and continue as normal. 

G8F/base female is not a default UV set for G8M and G8.1M

i tried adding the G8F UV as a new UV set to G8M/G8.1M and it just keeps saying invalid UV set - so i dont think this method works. Unless im doing something wrong.

It would make sense that this doesnt work if G8F and G8M have different geometries, which i assume they do - this isnt Genesis 1.

Looks like a G8M version is in order... 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,933
    edited February 2021

Another render of Babina 8 HD - https://www.daz3d.com/babina-8-hd-add-on

with Vellus Horizon Shader applied.

Babina109pic02.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 220K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • MortzeMortze Posts: 184
    edited February 2021

It looks like it also works on G3F.

It is very subtle, probably not perfect because of the UVs difference, but my guess was right. 

G3 velus.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 225K
    Post edited by Mortze on
  • I converted the opacity maps with Ultimate Unwrap 3D to make a G8M version :

G8M_Vellus.jpg
    2156 x 1033 - 570K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Those Things said:

Artini said:

Below is my try of https://www.daz3d.com/iray-vellus-horizon-shader-system-for-genesis-8-female

on one of my favorite Genesis 8 Female characters - Babina 8 HD - https://www.daz3d.com/babina-8-hd-add-on

You know, I imagined this product as a product for closeups, but it's great to see the effect working on full-body shots like this one. Also, someone's bikini needs mowing. laugh 

It looks like extra long velus hair to me

edited February 2021

Raiya release a new model, and I do like what they produce and was interested to see what they do with 8.1; I like ver much.

Now, think there is some velus affects around the jaw and cheeks, but maybe it's just me?

Inessa and Velus.png
    1273 x 1800 - 4M
    Post edited by nicstt on
  • markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 529
    edited February 2021

This is by far the best Vellus hair product I have used so far! Thank you very much Those Things

Here is a comparison of Inessa with and without the shader

Inessa_H2021-02_Mystique_PortraitWide_VellusHD.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Inessa_H2021-02_Mystique_PortraitWide_NoVellusHD.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by markusmatern on
  • markusmatern said:

This is by far the best Vellus hair product I have used so far! Thank you very much Those Things

Here is a comparison of Inessa with and without the shader

Markus, that looks great! And thank you. :) 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,900

This is 8.1 with Darcy materials swapped in, and then Vellus Horizon on a geoshell.

It's very subtle, but adds a really nice touch.

How: made a G8 figure, put a geoshell and set it up.

Made a G8.1 figure, added a geoshell. I copied most of the previous geoshell, and then Torso -> Body and Head, then set UV to 'Base Female' (which is G8F). Worked like a charm.

Just have to remember to set the proper surfaces Off (eyes, nails, mouth/teeth/tongue)

Darcy 81 v.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 295K
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

I imagine it is possible to get this working on males with the UV Swap product. 

nicstt said:

Those Things said:

Artini said:

Below is my try of https://www.daz3d.com/iray-vellus-horizon-shader-system-for-genesis-8-female

on one of my favorite Genesis 8 Female characters - Babina 8 HD - https://www.daz3d.com/babina-8-hd-add-on

You know, I imagined this product as a product for closeups, but it's great to see the effect working on full-body shots like this one. Also, someone's bikini needs mowing. laugh 

It looks like extra long velus hair to me

Yes, I have enlarged it a bit, to see it better.

You know, I am getting old... laugh

edited February 2021
    Noemi04pic03.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 436K
    Post edited by Artini on

Oso3D said:

This is 8.1 with Darcy materials swapped in, and then Vellus Horizon on a geoshell.

It's very subtle, but adds a really nice touch.

How: made a G8 figure, put a geoshell and set it up.

Made a G8.1 figure, added a geoshell. I copied most of the previous geoshell, and then Torso -> Body and Head, then set UV to 'Base Female' (which is G8F). Worked like a charm.

Just have to remember to set the proper surfaces Off (eyes, nails, mouth/teeth/tongue)

I did it by adding straight to i.1, just had to copy and paste some materials and change settings

My first dealing with geoshells - they are useful it seams

• VilleSVilleS Posts: 25

Thank you for the product, Those Things!

Works great straight out of the box.

And even on my favourite G3F character, where all other "fuzz" solutions failed so far...

edited February 2021

... and the enlarged version ...

Noemi05pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 437K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • VilleS said:

Thank you for the product, Those Things!

Works great straight out of the box.

And even on my favourite G3F character, where all other "fuzz" solutions failed so far...

That's fantastic to hear, thank you VilleS! 

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584
    edited February 2021

This adds such a great detail, even though it's barely noticable. I think that's what sets this apart from the other products, this one doesn't TRY to be seen. It instead tries to replicate how subtle a thing these hairs are, and that's why it works so great!

Of COURSE I had to put them on my Romina and give that a shot. Can't have a character that I've been working to try and get as realistic as I can and NOT try them out on her!

Just something very natural here - no makeup, leisurely pose, pajamas. 

RominaVellusHair.png
    1067 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by Thyranq on
  • Thyranq said:

This adds such a great detail, even though it's barely noticable. I think that's what sets this apart from the other products, this one doesn't TRY to be seen. It instead tries to replicate how subtle a thing these hairs are, and that's why it works so great!

Of COURSE I had to put them on my Romina and give that a shot. Can't have a character that I've been working to try and get as realistic as I can and NOT try them out on her!

Wow, that's gorgeous, I can tell you've put some work into this character. Can I ask what hair that is? It so naturally matches her eyebrows. 

• Oh, ha ha, nevermind. Just saw your gallery post, and you listed it there. :) Thanks for the shoutout!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,948
    edited February 2021

Another with and without for comparison

With Vellus 2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 666K
    Without Vellus 2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 667K
    Post edited by SimonJM on
  • ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

Those Things said:

Thyranq said:

Wow, that's gorgeous, I can tell you've put some work into this character. Can I ask what hair that is? It so naturally matches her eyebrows. 

lol that's a hair that I am very guilty of using TOO much

I've been picking at the materials and shape on her for close to a year now, though I'll admit that I don't really know what else to do lol

Appreciate the comment on the eyebrow colour, as that was completely custom, and it took me quite a while to get where I wanted it, so thanks for noticing!

And you're very welcome for the shout out! 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited February 2021

Some really nice images already

So I added a little fibremesh fuzz from Mousso's Flavia with the opacity turned down some and Windfield's Karla hair has those nice wisps. I think it's something you have to light for specifically or you won't get a lot of the effect.  Also it probably won't do much for super pale skin, but that's to be expected.  I was hoping for little more visibility on the ears.  Is there a way to make that happen with this product? If there's a men's version, there definitely needs to be more fuzz there.  There's a pre-post in the gallery with all the inputs.

Oh, and I increased the offset just a smidge.

Post edited by Sevrin on
  • Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
    edited February 2021

Sevrin, it's definitely possible! Since these are shaders, you can tweak them right in your surfaces tab. So, if you want more visibility on the ears, just select your geoshell in the Scene tab, and Ears in the surfaces tab, and adjust the Cutout Opacity setting to something like .03 - 06 (I believe the default is .02). You might want to also bump up the subdivision level to say, 4 or 5. That would probably get you in the neighborhood, but you'll have to see how it looks best in your scene. This same method can be used to adjust visibility on any of the areas. Here, I've cranked the opacity all the way up to .1, and created super fuzzy ears:

Lovely scene, by the way! And also great hair...  

Fuzzy Ear.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Those Things on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited February 2021

That worked fine.  I didn't touch the SubD, but increased opacity to 0.2 here.  Thanks a bunch.

And yeah, Windfield's hair assets are really, really nice.

Fuzzy Ear.png
    800 x 1040 - 1M
    Post edited by Sevrin on
  • Sevrin said:

That worked fine.  I didn't touch the SubD, but increased opacity to 0.2 here.  Thanks a bunch.

And yeah, Windfield's hair assets are really, really nice.

That looks perfect.  

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

I see folks are doing a workaround to get this working on 8.1, but is an update planned?

• Leonides02 said:

I see folks are doing a workaround to get this working on 8.1, but is an update planned?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Right now, it seems to be as simple as flipping the UV switch on the geoshell so it says "Base Female" instead of "Base 8.1 Female". 

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I did try to make that UV switch, but while i thought it worked for me I was wrong, a close up render proved I had not gotten the vellus hair to work (not giving up on trying yet, but that's my less than luck so far :) )

Still love the product though :)

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,253

The only change to UVs and surface zones for 8.1 (which would be relevant here) are that G8 'torso' was split into two surfaces: G8.1 'head' and 'body'.

So if you have g8.1 figure, you need to apply the torso shader to the 'head' and 'body' surfaces of the geoshell and make sure the UV set (also on the surfaces tab) for both the 'head' and 'body' surfaces is set to 'base female'

It should take 10 seconds?