New User Contest - July 2014 (WIP thread)

Comments

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

At the moment, I prefer the previous version. But I think the new setup has the potential to be even better.

Thanks! At the moment, I agree - but I'll try to improve v2 :)

On your UberVolume version: the dust cone wasn't parented to the spotlight? That could be why your experiments weren't yielding the results you wanted.

The dust cone was much too small, and not in the render. So I scaled it up, and moved it a tad, so that the camera could see it. It was still parented to the spotlight.

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

still working on this idea, any suggests are fine.

coral_reefs.jpg
    800 x 800 - 110K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Xangth said:
    still working on this idea, any suggests are fine.
    Maybe thicken the dust a bit to give better defined rays, but this is a very good start.
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,047
    edited July 2014

A new member here and a first post straight into a competition thread :)

I have had Daz, Bryce and before that Carrera for a long time but haven't really used them much until the past few months. I have been working on textures and, as it so happens, volumes too. Unfortunately the images have been posted to Facebook so are ineligible for the competition as they have been published publicly.

In the first image (lady of the lake) I wanted mist rising from the water and used a volume plane filled with the 'more low smog' volume texture and worked with it in the deep texture lab. It still isn't quite right but acceptable.

In the second image (washed ashore) I used the same volume plane but it wasn't right with the sky so I changed it for a night sky in the third image (washed ashore 2 which I called Despair) attached here which worked better.

In the fourth image (skeleton factory/recycling dept.) I used a parallel round light with a volume texture as a gel. It didn't look like rain but resembled water running off the hills and building. In image five (skeleton factory/recycling dept.) I added a cube with a volume texture trying to represent falling rain which, although not perfect, looked acceptable.

The figures were posed in Daz 3d 4.6 Pro and transferred to Bryce 7.1 Pro where I composed the scenes and then rendered them

skeleton-in-rain-001.jpg
    800 x 445 - 173K
    skeleton-in-rain-002.jpg
    800 x 445 - 187K
    washed-ashore-002.jpg
    800 x 445 - 181K
    washed-ashore-001.jpg
    800 x 445 - 165K
    lady-of-the-lake-004.jpg
    800 x 533 - 177K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited December 1969

And this is the version not with the Easy Volume Camera, but with the regular Volume Camera. The fog is more subdued here. In any case, I'll only come back to the render next week. Have a nice weekend, everyone!

Green2.jpg
    526 x 800 - 258K
  • angel82879angel82879 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

The Comfort take 3 I moved the camera around and added trees in the background let me know what you think

Comforttake3.jpg
    682 x 545 - 193K
  • angel82879angel82879 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

In the dark plan to add some more reduced to dust cloud and changed the color

Inthedarktake3.jpg
    682 x 545 - 136K
  • bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Have been working on this for a couple of days now.

Vol3.jpg
    720 x 576 - 282K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Barn Cat

This is my 2nd entry trying to create god rays.

Barn_Cat_24.jpg
    800 x 800 - 308K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Everyone's renders are coming along very nicely...great work so far!

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited December 1969

Ok here is one from me, it took 8 hours to render but i think it looks nicely, only that i saved it in png and background wasn't saved and i added it in GIMP.

2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Well i think i will have to do it again :) but you can see what is it about. That yellow sunlight is cloud effect from DS bt now it doesn't look so good as on original render. Still i would like to hear comments.

edited December 1969

Here is draft version, will have to do very high soon :)

007.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 564K
    edited December 1969

gulan7 - The texture of the ground looks off. Do you have any grass props you could add? Perhaps around the base of the rocks?

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2014

gulan7: If you want to work on the ground texture, here's a link to a post by Totte from a previous contest, showing some advice on a situation like this one: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/322837/

Some of the specifics may be different since you're not using the same set, but you should be able to apply the ideas to your render as well by following a similar procedure.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

I've moved, most crates are unpacked, and the internet is up and running.

Here's a somewhat finalized version. Only postwork was the added light on the gas mask lenses.

contest04-sized.jpg
    526 x 800 - 263K
    edited December 1969

Looks good.

@Scott-Livingston Thank you, i will try it, I was thinking to add grass or something to improve ground but this might be better. This picture wasn't really planed but it happened and i would like to make it as good as possible because i like it how it turned out. I will have better render version done on very high settings by tomorrow morning then i will try to fix things as needed. Those tutorials are great help btw, i have done only uber volume but will have to try others. I hope i will do something with Bryce too, as soon as i have some more free time, that is my next step of progres that i am planing, to learn to work better in Bryce.

edited December 1969

Ok, here is rendered only on high setting. Now lets see what i can do about ground.

Highland_Warrior.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 619K
  • AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited July 2014

gulan7 said:
    Ok, here is rendered only on high setting. Now lets see what i can do about ground.

Use this bump map. I used it for the displacement and bump maps on ground all the time.

Then find yourself a high res ground. http://boolean-union.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Grass-Large-Bump.jpg

Also I think the image would look a little more alive if you added some wind to the hair.
    Her kilt thing seems to suggest the wind is coming from the right.

It's Actual one of my favorite bump maps. I've even been known to use it on clothing and furnisher.

The one on the left is the one with the bump

Furnisher_Bump_test.png
    1000 x 500 - 329K
    Clothing_Bump.png
    1000 x 500 - 279K
    Post edited by Angel on
  • AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited July 2014

Try this http://miguelwrattensanchez.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/grass0026_1_l2.jpg

This render is the same 2 images I just linked. If you copy my settings I don't know how you can go wrong :D

Do note. That is a 15 yard plane. If your image is going to need more then that.
    Use tiles or add another plane to the scene and copy surface settings. Don't try to stretch it out. Or it will look unnatural.

BUMP.jpg
    731 x 568 - 66K
    Grass_Test.png
    1000 x 500 - 1003K
    Post edited by Angel on
    edited December 1969

Playing around with something new; a fog based image. I have no idea where these weird artifacts are coming from - something with the wings?

angel2.jpg
    800 x 533 - 218K
    edited July 2014

TobiasG said:
    Playing around with something new; a fog based image. I have no idea where these weird artifacts are coming from - something with the wings?

Great image Tobias.

Are those some kind of handles that are being rendered? Which wings are you using?

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I felt the need to make something brighter :)

The wings are Epic Wings for Genesis - I've used them before, and never had this sort of glitch. It's weird. There's nothing extraordinary in the scene.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It could well be handles on the dress rather than the wings.

edited December 1969

To be quite honest, I've no idea what you mean by "handles." :) How can I get rid of them?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

On the parts of the dress you may find some things labelled possibly skirt right skirt left etc. Make them transparent.

edited July 2014

@danwat801 Thank you, was searching all day on ShareCG and Rendo for good texture and can't say i really found something. Will try it tomorrow :) I would really like to make this pic look good, maybe will add some more details to the ground like flowers or bushes, was thinking of that too.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

Well, this would be sort of a solution to the handle thingy (not yet sized).

angel4.jpg
    1280 x 853 - 493K
    edited July 2014

TobiasG said:
    Well, this would be sort of a solution to the handle thingy (not yet sized).

Oooooo..I really like this version. She seems to stand out better from the background.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks! Not my usual fare, but it's OK :)