New User Contest - July 2014 (WIP thread)

Comments

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Test renders are usually... not that cool

:D

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    TobiasG said:
    A localized dust cloud can be done very easily with a plane primitive (similar to how Jepe's props work). Of course, that's a bit cheating, since it's not a volumetric effect. :)

I have a set of Jepe's props and was just experimenting with it to see if I can make it work.

The rules state it has to be done within DAZ and not through post work. ;-) I believe Jepe's props qualify.

If not, please tell me know.

I'm not a mod or anything, but I'm certain Jepe's props (or a DIY version) qualify just fine - however, that way, you don't learn as much about volumetrics and haze effects :) That's all I'm saying.

Sorry to disillusion you. We specify that we are dealing with atmospheric effects managed within the app, so not using any props to get the effect.

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Hah! Good thing I'm not a mod then :)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    TobiasG said:
    TobiasG said:
    A localized dust cloud can be done very easily with a plane primitive (similar to how Jepe's props work). Of course, that's a bit cheating, since it's not a volumetric effect. :)

I have a set of Jepe's props and was just experimenting with it to see if I can make it work.

The rules state it has to be done within DAZ and not through post work. ;-) I believe Jepe's props qualify.

If not, please tell me know.

I'm not a mod or anything, but I'm certain Jepe's props (or a DIY version) qualify just fine - however, that way, you don't learn as much about volumetrics and haze effects :) That's all I'm saying.

Sorry to disillusion you. We specify that we are dealing with atmospheric effects managed within the app, so not using any props to get the effect.

Thanks Chohole for the clarification. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

bobfisher said:
    @ evilproducer
    Very nice renders. Just wondering how much was done in render and how much in post as this month we have to get our effects without postwork.

Sandstorm

Another updated version with the poses of the figures tweaked and I lightened the volume effect slightly.

Looking really good

That's a great question! I tried to select images that had no postwork, or unrelated postwork. Whatever postwork was done, was not to add clouds or change their shape or properties.

The picture of the Enterprise and Nebula is a render straight out of Carrara.

The one with the Storm Troopers and ATATs may have had a DOF done in Carrara or Photoshop. I can't remember for sure.

The image with the the Cygnus was a postworked DOF with Photoshop.

The airship picture was a postworked DOF as Carrara's DOF and dynamic hair don't play nice together.

The Knight and dragon picture only had levels adjustment.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Items that are designed to use actual lighting such as Simple God Rays and Stage Effects light beam effects are allowed. Those item's require the user to adjust them to get different effects from the same sets. Things like Plane prop items that are configured for just load and use work such as Jepe's items are not allowed in this contest. The goal is for the New user to learn new techniques this contest not to just use content made to create the effects for them. Hope this opens new doors for some users.
    Lets see some God Rays here too folks, if that seems like something you might enjoy trying.

edited December 1969

So what can Studio and Poser do for atmospheres? I didn't think they had atmospheres, volumetric clouds or fog?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Items that are designed to use actual lighting such as Simple God Rays and Stage Effects light beam effects are allowed. Those item's require the user to adjust them to get different effects from the same sets. Things like Plane prop items that are configured for just load and use work such as Jepe's items are not allowed in this contest. The goal is for the New user to learn new techniques this contest not to just use content made to create the effects for them. Hope this opens new doors for some users.
    Lets see some God Rays here too folks, if that seems like something you might enjoy trying.

Sunbeams were introduced in Carrara with version 8. I use Carrara 7, but it is possible to fake the effect somewhat by using light gels and a 3D light cone.

This one uses that effect plus a hazy atmosphere and a volumetric cloud used as mist. Raw render except for name and date.

Jungle_Encounter.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio comes with the Uber Volume shader which was built exactly for adding atmospheric effects and Fog effects. And then we have other pay for addon's such as the Atmospheric Camera set, and As I just mentioned the Simple God Ray set and others. The very first and second post of this Thread has a good list of many of the items and even includes a step by step for creating your very own Atmospheric Camera in DAZ Studio. There are many ways to get Volume and other effects in DAZ Studio at this time. Two of those are 100% free to all users.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

@danwat801: nice work! As was pointed out already, you're welcome to submit up to two entries.

@bobfisher: love the interaction of the lighting and haze. The render needs something, I think, in terms of composition/subject, but the stage has certainly been set.

@TobiasG: Composition and overall green color scheme looks great. Lighting is coming along...keep working at it. Might be nice to see some rays of light, or light falloff, for example.

@angel82879: the fog is looking good! I like the light too. I would like to see you expand the scene a bit. If some background objects are barely visible through the fog, I think that will sell the effect even more. I like the woman's pose but to me the man's body language seems a little off. Maybe try having him lean forward slightly and adjust his left shoulder and arm?

@evilproducer: thank you for showing these excellent examples!

@Kismet2012: Very good start, and nice improvement from the first render to the more recent version.

edited July 2014

Jaderail said:
    DAZ Studio comes with the Uber Volume shader which was built exactly for adding atmospheric effects and Fog effects. And then we have other pay for addon's such as the Atmospheric Camera set, and As I just mentioned the Simple God Ray set and others. The very first and second post of this Thread has a good list of many of the items and even includes a step by step for creating your very own Atmospheric Camera in DAZ Studio. There are many ways to get Volume and other effects in DAZ Studio at this time. Two of those are 100% free to all users.

Good info. Thanks. I understand the terminology a bit better now, despite efforts to attach silly trademarked names to common 3D technology.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited July 2014

@bobfisher: love the interaction of the lighting and haze. The render needs something, I think, in terms of composition/subject, but the stage has certainly been set.

Thank you Scott. I have started on another scene because every time I reload my first scene and try to render DAZ crashes and I can't work out why.
    Post edited by bobfisher on
  • angel82879angel82879 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

The Title: In The Dark

This focused on the light volume effect please give me your thoughts like to know if I should use a fog camera or not

InTheDark.jpg
    619 x 800 - 66K
  • TheDarkerSideOfArtTheDarkerSideOfArt Posts: 84
    edited July 2014

Oh I like this challenge :) let me see if i can muster up something with some god rays this week.
    so am i allowed to use "any" 3D modleing app ? (I mean outside of poser /carrara /daz or bryce)
    or should i just stick with what most are using? (I still wanna create one in Daz Studio so i can learn studio more ,but also wanna create an other one in Maxwell Render if permitted)

Post edited by TheDarkerSideOfArt on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Good info. Thanks. I understand the terminology a bit better now, despite efforts to attach silly trademarked names to common 3D technology.I just use the Content Names as that is what most New Users will look for. I know the proper tech terms as well but this is a New User contest geared toward those just learning the programs.

edited December 1969

chk2033 said:
    Oh I like this challenge :) let me see if i can muster up something with some god rays this week.
    so am i allowed to use "any" 3D modleing app ? (I mean outside of poser /carrara /daz or bryce)
    or should i just stick with what most are using? (I still wanna create one in Daz Studio so i can learn studio more ,but also wanna create an other one in Maxwell Render if permitted)
    You can do a Maxwell Render to Post to the WIP thread but the Contest is DAZ 3D based and its main focus is DAZ Studio, Carrara, Bryce and Poser. The programs it fully supports I do believe, for Entry Renders.
    edited December 1969

Ok thanks..Daz Studio it is then :)

• bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You can do a Maxwell Render to Post to the WIP thread but the Contest is DAZ 3D based and its main focus is DAZ Studio, Carrara, Bryce and Poser. The programs it fully supports I do believe, for Entry Renders.

Does this also apply to Lux and Octane.
    edited December 1969

The be honest I'm not 100% sure on plugin Render options. Is it covered in the Main rules thread? I've not peeked at it in a few months now.

edited July 2014

bobfisher said:
    Jaderail said:

That's a good question, because I don't really see any difference between the 2 (using a standalone render engine via plugin's)

In Daz studio you would have to use a plugin (reality or luxus to send it to Luxrender to render it )
    In Poser i would have to use a plugin (Poser fushion to send it to Maya where I can use mentalray,3delight,Vray or Maxwell render)
    or even just export from either of the 2 as a fbx and export to a wide variety of solutions (KeyShot being one).

BUT to be honest..it's doesn't really affect me anyway I just always thought (not only here but everywhere) that in a challenge/contest it isn't really fair to allow user's to use something that didn't ship with the product when the challenge is about the render and its light's at least not fair to those who didn't purchase those "extra" one click solution's Myself,I would prefer it it was just Daz Studio only (not even the other apps including poser)...no plugin's no 3rd party anything..just studio and whatever come's "WITH" studio and that's all.
    It was just a question anyway , I prefer doing things the old school way anyhow though (without 1 click solution's)

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited July 2014

@danwat801: nice work! As was pointed out already, you're welcome to submit up to two entries.

@TobiasG: Composition and overall green color scheme looks great. Lighting is coming along...keep working at it. Might be nice to see some rays of light, or light falloff, for example.

@angel82879: the fog is looking good! I like the light too. I would like to see you expand the scene a bit. If some background objects are barely visible through the fog, I think that will sell the effect even more. I like the woman's pose but to me the man's body language seems a little off. Maybe try having him lean forward slightly and adjust his left shoulder and arm?

@evilproducer: thank you for showing these excellent examples!

@Kismet2012: Very good start, and nice improvement from the first render to the more recent version.

Thanks Scott. The change in pose really made a difference. I still want to work on the overall colour though. According to images I have Googled of sandstorms it is more orange/yellow than beige/brown. But it took a lot of tinkering in the surfaces tab to get it to this point.

I am also starting work on a 2nd entry hopefully using Godrays. It took me a while to find some inspiration. :-)

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:

Good info. Thanks. I understand the terminology a bit better now, despite efforts to attach silly trademarked names to common 3D technology.

I just use the Content Names as that is what most New Users will look for. I know the proper tech terms as well but this is a New User contest geared toward those just learning the programs.

I understand that you're using the marketing names. My comment was more of an aside at DAZ and other companies that think they need a trademarked cutesy name. I think in the end it does their users a disservice to try and assign a proprietary name to common functions. It just confuses things when they (the user) try and communicate with anybody outside the software circle they're in.

In Studio's case, DAZ calls so many different light set ups Uber, it leads to confusion in those that don't use Studio. Sometimes there's a hint in the title after Uber, but many times it's pretty vague.

edited December 1969

chk2033 said:
    bobfisher said:
    Jaderail said:

That's a good question, because I don't really see any difference between the 2 (using a standalone render engine via plugin's)

In Daz studio you would have to use a plugin (reality or luxus to send it to Luxrender to render it )
    In Poser i would have to use a plugin (Poser fushion to send it to Maya where I can use mentalray,3delight,Vray or Maxwell render)
    or even just export from either of the 2 as a fbx and export to a wide variety of solutions (KeyShot being one).

BUT to be honest..it's doesn't really affect me anyway I just always thought (not only here but everywhere) that in a challenge/contest it isn't really fair to allow user's to use something that didn't ship with the product when the challenge is about the render and its light's at least not fair to those who didn't purchase those "extra" one click solution's Myself,I would prefer it it was just Daz Studio only (not even the other apps including poser)...no plugin's no 3rd party anything..just studio and whatever come's "WITH" studio and that's all.
    It was just a question anyway , I prefer doing things the old school way anyhow though (without 1 click solution's)

Except that Carrara and Bryce are in DAZ's software stable and also have new users. Additionally, many of DAZ's figures and sets are also marketed to Poser users. This forum isn't DAZ Studio New User Contest and Events after all. ;-)

edited December 1969

The main thing here is that this is a New Users contest. We don't normally expect New Users to have got far enough in their experience level to be even thinking about using alternative render engines, to be honest.

edited July 2014

Understandable but since I'm assuming you are responding only to that one thing I said...it also say's "Myself,I would prefer it it was just Daz Studio," and that was since from the images I seen "most" are studio user's.
    I don't know ..maybe they could break it down into those different app's..
    because there are something's I've done in Carrara and Bryce and for that matter even Poser (which i been using since version 3)
    which "can" be done in studio...just with a lot more tinkering and effort on the end user's part,it can be done,just not as simple.
    not to sound sarcastic or anything like that but I've entered contest with artist who were using 3DS Max/Maya Vray the work's(one guy who has his tutorial on digital tutors) and i still beat them..with poser, so I wasn't saying what i said because i don't think it's fair toward's me..it doesn't matter to me what anyone use's,im going to still do my own thing as best i can,,it was more for other artist who you have to admit sometimes feel like because they don't have Carrara they don't have a chance or because they didn't buy the latest or greatest plugin's theirs wont stand out.or the one's that load click and done! while some have to actually struggle to get the same effect's because the app their using isn't that simple to get the same effects done in it.
    I hope i made a little sense with all that up their

edited December 1969

What you're saying does make some sense, but having tinkered with Bryce and through my use with Carrara, it can take quite a bit of work to get a volumetric cloud to do what you want. ;-)

From what I understand, it can be difficult sometimes to force sun beams in Carrara as well.

edited July 2014

Come to think of it yeah that's true..in Poser it's extremely simple if you know the setup for godray's .(which is simple) done it plenty of time's just take a while but since that's only cheating (myself) Studio is what it's going to be I guess.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

chk2033 said:
    Come to think of it yeah that's true..in Poser it's extremely simple if you know the setup for godray's .(which is simple) done it plenty of time's just take a while but since that's only cheating (myself) Studio is what it's going to be I guess.

Yeah, you have the right idea...as far as the New User Contest is concerned, you're eligible to enter if you consider yourself new/beginner level at whatever you're trying to do for the contest. So if you're more advanced at doing volumetric effects with one program, you can still enter the contest if you use a different program.
    edited December 1969

chk2033 said:

Yeah, you have the right idea...as far as the New User Contest is concerned, you're eligible to enter if you consider yourself new/beginner level at whatever you're trying to do for the contest. So if you're more advanced at doing volumetric effects with one program, you can still enter the contest if you use a different program.

Yes that is so true. I, for example, could actually enter as a New User if I did something in DS. So new in fact that I don't even have DS on my system. However I would not be able to enter if I used Poser or Bryce.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819
    edited July 2014

On the external render engines, there is no rule against them and never has been in the course of this contest. There are plenty of people who purchase, download, try things, and even buy things without knowing anything or barely anything in relation to those things. I know I purchased Poser, a TON of content, and even bought merchant resources when I started way back when and that was without knowing how to even open Poser yet. I couldn't even dress V3 for the first 2 or so months but I still kept buying things others were recommending (or downloading them) LOL My point being there are some who may have LuxRender, Octane, etc who may feel they need to learn them to get the results they want (based on what they have seen others do with them) or who may have felt they were needed (since so many around here speak of them), that I see no reason to exclude them as such. That said the composition does need to be done in Poser, Carrara, Bryce, or DAZ Studio and only "rendered" (and possible material tweaking if needed) in the external render engine if that makes sense. In the specific case of this contest, only those render engines with bridges would probably work since the atmospheric effects need to be done in Poser, DS, Bryce, or Carrara as well and Im not entirely sure whether those carry over if you render in the other render engines that aren't bridged.

Thanks to those that asked for the clarification though. It's always better to ask to be sure :)

For this contest the main exclusion is no doing volumetric effects in post work.

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on