New User Contest - July 2014 (WIP thread)

Comments

• TheDarkerSideOfArtTheDarkerSideOfArt Posts: 84
    edited July 2014

chohole said:
    chk2033 said:
    Come to think of it yeah that's true..in Poser it's extremely simple if you know the setup for godray's .(which is simple) done it plenty of time's just take a while but since that's only cheating (myself) Studio is what it's going to be I guess.

Yeah, you have the right idea...as far as the New User Contest is concerned, you're eligible to enter if you consider yourself new/beginner level at whatever you're trying to do for the contest. So if you're more advanced at doing volumetric effects with one program, you can still enter the contest if you use a different program.

Yes that is so true. I, for example, could actually enter as a New User if I did something in DS. So new in fact that I don't even have DS on my system. However I would not be able to enter if I used Poser or Bryce.

That's good to know, was starting to think maybe i shouldn't enter again because I'm not "new" to the 3D world..but I am so new to Daz studio that I had to ask one of the Admins 2 weeks ago how do I save stuff in Daz.(for distro).and someone else where was all that uber stuff i keep reading about located lol oh well..

Post edited by TheDarkerSideOfArt on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819
    edited December 1969

chk2033 said:
    chohole said:
    chk2033 said:
    Come to think of it yeah that's true..in Poser it's extremely simple if you know the setup for godray's .(which is simple) done it plenty of time's just take a while but since that's only cheating (myself) Studio is what it's going to be I guess.

Yeah, you have the right idea...as far as the New User Contest is concerned, you're eligible to enter if you consider yourself new/beginner level at whatever you're trying to do for the contest. So if you're more advanced at doing volumetric effects with one program, you can still enter the contest if you use a different program.

Yes that is so true. I, for example, could actually enter as a New User if I did something in DS. So new in fact that I don't even have DS on my system. However I would not be able to enter if I used Poser or Bryce.

That's good to know, was starting to think maybe i shouldn't enter again because I'm not "new" to the 3D world..but I am so new to Daz studio that I had to ask one of the Admins 2 weeks ago how do I save stuff in Daz..and someone else where's was all that uber stuff i keep reading about located lol oh well..

"New" comes down to what is new to you. There are plenty of people who have used say Poser but never touched DS. Who may be expert at say posing but struggle with lighting or surfaces etc. There are some people who can catch on to certain things easily but then struggle with others. We consider trying anything you have trouble doing or no to little experience doing as "new to you" if that makes sense :) So in those things you are a New User.

Also, to avoid the same people winning all the time because we decided to leave it open so more can learn from these contests, we have a "graduation" process. Once you win a contest (take 1st place at least once and then one other place - 2nd. HM etc) you are graduated to the mentor program for this contest (basically you can still participate and learn but your entries or renders are non-entries) and to get certificates etc when you are graduated to mentor relies on the help you give those still trying to reach for winning the contest.

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

I added a new volumetric light. The underlying spotlight might use a too bright green tone.

GreenMuck06.jpg
    526 x 800 - 222K
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819
    edited December 1969

I kinda like the bright green-ness, kinda makes it more seem "toxic" to me. That said I could see trying to tone it down a touch but really could work either way since the color does add to the "deadly fumes" feel of the image :) Nicely done so far :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chk2033 said:

But you do have Carrara. ;-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chk2033 said:

But you do have Carrara. ;-)

But as quite a few things in Carrara are similar to those in Bryce it would not be completely fair, even though I am struggling with Carrara.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,470
    edited December 1969

Lets please get back to the original discussion of the contest. This isn't the place for debate.

• angel82879angel82879 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

hear is a take two on Comfort please let me know what you think

Comferttake2.jpg
    800 x 639 - 49K
    edited December 1969

hear is another take on In The Dark adding fog let me know what you think

Inthedarktaketwo.jpg
    800 x 639 - 55K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,470
    edited December 1969

Both are looking really good

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I say all three renders posted to this page, the Green Gas, the Foggy Lamppost and and Posed in Light render are all coming along very nice. You folks keep it up, this to me is what this contest is about. Watching and if possible helping others get from point A to Point B. So far I think everything in the thread has really been helpful in some way to all users, even the long debate.
    I'm still waiting on some good old fashioned God Rays from a user.. hint hint.

edited December 1969

how dose one do god rays like to know how

edited July 2014

Well in DAZ Studio with buying nothing, it would be to load a set, create a primitive Square to fit your set, add the Uber Volume to that Primitive Square and set its Volume effects, then Shine some beams of light in the volume. Please read the tips on using Uber volume as were the lights are placed and the render camera as well do matter. But in short Uber Volume on a Space, a Spot shining into it, through a window for example a camera and the volume adjusted is all that is needed. All free in DAZ Studio.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Well in DAZ Studio with buying nothing, it would be to load a set, create a primitive Square to fit your set, add the Uber Volume to that Primitive Square and set its Volume effects, then Shine some beams of light in the volume. Please read the tips on using Uber volume as were the lights are placed and the render camera as well do matter. But in short Uber Volume on a Space, a Spot shining into it, through a window for example a camera and the volume adjusted is all that is needed. All free in DAZ Studio.

Can you add gels to the lights in Studio to help the effect along?

edited July 2014

Jaderail said:
    Can you add gels to the lights in Studio to help the effect along?You sure could, either hand made gels or just use a set of lights that already use Gels.
    edited December 1969

I'm assuming if you don't want colors, it would be a black and white or grayscale image map, with black being clear and white opaque (or the reverse) and shades of grey in-between.

edited July 2014

Uber Volume does not remove the color maps used in the other content. I'm not getting the idea of black and white here. The volume will be whatever color of lighting is passed to it as it is the simulated dust in the volume that is scattering or diffusing the beam of light passed into it. If the lighting used was a beam of green light you would get a green God Ray in the Volume. The Volume effects color in no way what so ever.

So if you wanted shades of light yes it would be shades of grey used before a pure white light. I think that is your idea.

edited July 2014

Jaderail said:
    Uber Volume does not remove the color maps used in the other content. I'm not getting the idea of black and white here. The volume will be whatever color of lighting is passed to it as it is the simulated dust in the volume that is scattering or diffusing the beam of light passed into it. If the lighting used was a beam of green light you would get a green God Ray in the Volume. The Volume effects color in no way what so ever.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant in the light gel, not in the volume. A colored gel in Carrara produces a colored light. If you used an image of a stained glass window, then the light would take on those colors. Black and white maps wouldn't change the colors, but if I recall correctly black is opaque and white is clear, with shades of gray in-between.

The first image with the "movie" projected onto the screen is a gel with a black border that acts as a mask to prevent a round projection of light. The projector light (spotlight) also has a light cone for added volume.

Using a spotlight with a gel of a leaf pattern, with areas of light and dark should create shadowed beams in a volumetric cloud or shape (or even a light cone). If the image is strictly black and white it shouldn't impart a color. The moss image uses a light with a light cone and a black and white gel with leaf shapes to create the sunbeam effect. The background is a left-over cyclorama from when I tried an early version of D|S, that I brought into Carrara. The gel enhances the volumetric effect of the light cone, plus it adds some mottled shadows to the scene as well.

holocene_splash.png
    2000 x 2000 - 279K
    Leaf_gel.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 637K
    Moss.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Holocene_Park_screening-captioned.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

BTW, if anybody wants to use the leaf pattern in my post above, feel free to use it as you wish. I've been thinking of sticking a few on ShareCG eventually.

edited December 1969

try the steps that where just give for god rays not working am i missing something can some one give me vide tutorial or image step would like to make god ray on the In The Dark image all I have in dust volume help please

edited July 2014

Not sure how much I can help with Studio.

From a software agnostic perspective, when shining light through a volumetric space, you need things to add shadows to your light beam. This can be achieved a couple ways. You can add a light with an object or objects within the light's beam to do the work of creating shadows in the beam of light, or you could add a light gel to your light as I mentioned above.

Note that wherever you adjust the shadow quality in Studio for the volumetric effect, you'll want to use a mid-to-good level of shadow quality to avoid artifacts and to create crisper shadows within the beam of light passing through the volume.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Done using AoAs Advanced Lights, ambient and spotlights. No postwork.

Strange.jpg
    800 x 533 - 337K
    edited December 1969

bobfisher said:
    Done using AoAs Advanced Lights, ambient and spotlights. No postwork.
    There we go, exactly the thing I was talking about.
    edited December 1969

I added a gobo in front of the volumetric spotlight, with no effect - I was hoping it would cast "rays" of light or shadow in the smoke. Right now, the smoke is just a basic cone-shaped field. I also set up a wall opening in front of it, but this also doesn't do anything (again, hoping for visible structure or rays in the smoke/fog). Any clue how I could do that?

I'd also like to have the edge of the smoke cone to be less sharply defined. Any ideas?

I have a few ideas on what to improve on the lighting as such, so right now, I'm mainly concerned with the more technical side.

GreenMuck08.jpg
    526 x 800 - 194K
  • bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

try the steps that where just give for god rays not working am i missing something can some one give me vide tutorial or image step would like to make god ray on the In The Dark image all I have in dust volume help please

I added a gobo in front of the volumetric spotlight, with no effect - I was hoping it would cast "rays" of light or shadow in the smoke. Right now, the smoke is just a basic cone-shaped field. I also set up a wall opening in front of it, but this also doesn't do anything (again, hoping for visible structure or rays in the smoke/fog). Any clue how I could do that?

I'd also like to have the edge of the smoke cone to be less sharply defined. Any ideas?

I have a few ideas on what to improve on the lighting as such, so right now, I'm mainly concerned with the more technical side.

Are you both using Age of Armors Atmospheric cameras and Advanced Spotlights, if so I can do up a tutorial on how I got the three different effects. I have never tried any other way to get volumetric effects in DAZ.

edited July 2014

bobfisher said:

Are you both using Age of Armors Atmospheric cameras and Advanced Spotlights, if so I can do up a tutorial on how I got the three different effects. I have never tried any other way to get volumetric effects in DAZ.

I'm using omnifreakers ubervolume lights, which came with DazStudio. Don't have AoA's lights, unfortunately.

Edited to add: Sitting here at work, reading through AoA's Atmo Lights user guide... I might just get it when I come home.

Post edited by TobiasG on
    edited December 1969

Bought and dl'ed AoA's Atmo Lighting, scrapped the whole lights setup, and fiddled around with these new volumetric effects.

Obviously far from finished, and in too low a quality. The backlight/fog needs to be less bright, the fog perhaps less thick. But I think it's an interesting start.

I'll likely be without computer/DazStudio access from tomorrow evening on, hopefully everything'll be back online come Monday. If I don't react, that's the reason :)

GreenMuck01b.jpg
    526 x 800 - 309K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Bought and dl'ed AoA's Atmo Lighting, scrapped the whole lights setup, and fiddled around with these new volumetric effects.

Obviously far from finished, and in too low a quality. The backlight/fog needs to be less bright, the fog perhaps less thick. But I think it's an interesting start.

I'll likely be without computer/DazStudio access from tomorrow evening on, hopefully everything'll be back online come Monday. If I don't react, that's the reason :)

This definitely has a different feel from the first versions. In the other versions I had the impression of gas coming from an overhead vent.

In this 2nd version I see the light source coming from beyond the 2 characters. Like another member of the team(s) has a really strong flashlight or spotlight of some kind shining from behind them while they recon through a gas filled complex.

They tell slightly different stories to me. Not sure which one, if either, you wanted. :)

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

This definitely has a different feel from the first versions. In the other versions I had the impression of gas coming from an overhead vent.

In this 2nd version I see the light source coming from beyond the 2 characters. Like another member of the team(s) has a really strong flashlight or spotlight of some kind shining from behind them while they recon through a gas filled complex.

They tell slightly different stories to me. Not sure which one, if either, you wanted. :)

Ah, I see how you could get that impression from the first version. It didn't really occur to me, since the volumetric spotlight doesn't sit in the upper left corner, but rather to the right, off screen :) But there's a school of thought who holds that the artist himself isn't qualified to interpret his work, so... ;)

Yes, it's quite different. To be honest, the better defined rays in the second version appeal to me. I'll have to play with it some more.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

At the moment, I prefer the previous version. But I think the new setup has the potential to be even better.

On your UberVolume version: the dust cone wasn't parented to the spotlight? That could be why your experiments weren't yielding the results you wanted.