NEW USER Contest April 2014 “WIP Thread”

124»

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,470
    edited December 1969

Nice so far but if the plant is the focus point in the scene it should be closer to center

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here's what I have on my second entry so far:
    For this one I highly suggest the Rule of Thirds be followed. That to me would give it the POP power it needs.
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Here's what I have on my second entry so far:

One thing about this strikes me as a little strange, at least as far as environmental realism is concerned...if you look at the clouds, you'll see that they appear tilted which leads me to think that the camera itself is tilted (Dutch tilt)...but, the plants are growing straight up and down. If the camera is tilted then the plants should look tilted also; if not, then the clouds should be horizontal I would think.

Aside from that (and the compositional point that Frank and Jaderail made), I think this is excellent.

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited April 2014

Well this went places I didn't expect. But I kinda like it.

Susan.jpg
    772 x 702 - 432K
    Susan1.jpg
    772 x 702 - 287K
    Post edited by SGCBearcub on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Well this went places I didn't expect. But I kinda like it.

The 2nd one looks much better but I really like the 1st one.

edited December 1969

The 2nd one looks much better but I really like the 1st one.

thank you:) I was fooling around with the rule of thirds when I came up with the second one. Not sure what i did to make it look so flat - I think its the angle the light is at. Wouldn't you know it though, I accidentally didn't save the file for the first one. I'm seeing now if i can recreate it.

Thanks to Frank, Scott and Jaderail for all the pointers!

edited April 2014

So I was experimenting with the rule of thirds and the ambient color channel on the petals. This is closer to what I wanted, but there is still something off about it. Comments? Criticisms? Thanks in advance.

Yellow1.jpg
    772 x 702 - 343K
    Post edited by SGCBearcub on
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

So I was experimenting with the rule of thirds and the ambient color channel on the petals. This is closer to what I wanted, but there is still something off about it. Comments? Criticisms? Thanks in advance.

I know what you mean - I like it, but it could be improved still. Hmm, you might try changing the camera angle, so the view on the flower is more frontal, less top-down. This would make more sky visible, too. Just a thought.

edited December 1969

I am not seeing much or any shadows. The flowers do not look like they are growing out of the rock. In your first image you had strong shadows which anchored everything. They may have been too strong in the first image but they seem to be absent in this image.

edited April 2014

In terms of lighting...the latest version is nice though I agree that some stronger shadows might be needed.

In terms of composition...I kind of like the feel of the earlier version, with the flowers (and maybe the hiker's legs also) taking up a larger portion of the frame.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

In terms of composition...I kind of like the feel of the earlier version, with the flowers (and maybe the hiker's legs also) taking up a larger portion of the frame.
    I say Plus one to this. I like that version better myself.
    edited December 1969

So I had to start over since I overwrote the original file. I couldn't get the feet right again. But I came up with this version.

Susan_3.jpg
    772 x 702 - 297K
    edited December 1969

So I had to start over since I overwrote the original file. I couldn't get the feet right again. But I came up with this version.

Something I do with renders before I make a major change is to do a Save As and rename it so I have 2 different versions. That way if I do not like the change I made I still have the original. Sometimes I end up with multiple variations of the same file.

Unfortunately, I had something similar happen to me just recently. I had a render about 90% complete. I was really happy with it and was tweaking the lighting when the file became corrupted. I did not have another copy because I did not make any major changes.

I reproduced the file but it never had the same feel.

Now I am making a second copy of ALL the renders I am working on so I always have a base to go back to and hopefully, with the help of notes I make while working, I can reproduce the results.

edited December 1969

My work flow involves no less than 4 save flies from start to 4th save. If I make it to save 5 I re-place save 1 with the 5th and so on. This way I can always go back 4 versions if I need to.

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited December 1969

Maybe my second entry for the contest? Used UE2 Occlusion with directional shadows and one Distant Light.

Some comments would be nice.

Title: Ladybird
    Rendered in DAZ STudio 4.6

Ladybird_WIP1.jpg
    800 x 500 - 203K
    edited December 1969

Nice, but I say unless she is 80 years old lower the Bump on the hand just a bit... Sort of ruff for a youngish hand.

edited December 1969

Actually I´ve never done such a close up. It´s V5 Valerie Skin, why is it that rough by default? :roll:

Adjusting the bump ... very good idea! ;-)

Ladybird_WIP2.jpg
    800 x 500 - 265K
    edited December 1969

Title: Easter Egg Hunt

Latest version. Tweaked some things that were bugging me and did my best to make adjustments to the boy's hair as per Jaderail's suggestion.

Easter_Egg_Hunt_32.jpg
    800 x 640 - 408K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

It looks a tad menacing - huge boots smashing the flowers... :)

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Bunny Girl

She is almost too old to be doing kids stuff like going out Easter Egg hunting! Almost... maybe just this last year....

Amy

Bunny_Girl02.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 780K
    edited December 1969

Bunny Girl

She is almost too old to be doing kids stuff like going out Easter Egg hunting! Almost... maybe just this last year....

Amy

I remember those days. :-)

edited December 1969

@Kismet and Jaderail

Thanks for the suggestions regards backing up my work. It's one of those things you know you should do and I just forgot. I like the idea about five rotating versions.

edited December 1969

MN-150374 said:
    Maybe my second entry for the contest? Used UE2 Occlusion with directional shadows and one Distant Light.

Some comments would be nice.

Title: Ladybird
    Rendered in DAZ STudio 4.6

Nice DOF

edited December 1969

MN-150374 said:
    Actually I´ve never done such a close up. It´s V5 Valerie Skin, why is it that rough by default? :roll:

Adjusting the bump ... very good idea! ;-)

Nice job with the bump adjustments, and in general. Often characters' default bump settings are too strong for extreme closeups, and sometimes too strong for not-so-extreme closeups. Had the character artist made the bump weaker, it would appear too smooth in distant shots. Not sure exactly how the physics of that work, but it's something to keep in mind for those types of renders.
    edited December 1969

Nice DOF
    Thank you!

Nice job with the bump adjustments, and in general. Often characters' default bump settings are too strong for extreme closeups, and sometimes too strong for not-so-extreme closeups. Had the character artist made the bump weaker, it would appear too smooth in distant shots. Not sure exactly how the physics of that work, but it's something to keep in mind for those types of renders.

Definitely I will remember next time. Thanks for the feedback.
    edited December 1969

Reminder. Last day to submit your final images to the contest thread.

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:

It looks a tad menacing - huge boots smashing the flowers... :)

lol, thanks.

edited December 1969

Good luck to everyone.

@SGCBearcub: I really like your last entry in the Entry Thread. A very sweet picture with the little girl offering the fireman flowers.

edited December 1969

Good luck everyone. The contest is now closed