Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

adbc said:
    My entry for the contest.
    Software used : Bryce
    Title : Hanami

Such beautiful soft colours.

I do love Bryce renders and am so happy to see a Bryce user participate in the contest.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited April 2014

Title should be Love is in the air mostly inspired by this song Milk & Sugar feat. John Paul Young - Love Is In The Air https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpWJt4sT9r8

I finaly learned Depth of field mostly thanks to this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AGMU46mGKs but also others that i could see in previous contest thread, though i am sorry i couldn't get my render for it. Also i have used a bit better render settings then i was using till now, thanks to Jaderail post about Depth of Field.

For lightning, i was not here and i missed that one, i just used uber environment and i guess it looks ok. And I am not sure what is double focus also.

Anyway here is what i have, any comments are welcome.

Love_is_in_the_air._._._.jpg
    800 x 800 - 343K
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited April 2014

I think what he meant by double focus is (Lighting and DOF) 2 Focus's
    I like the picture so far, but the ground has got to go. everything in the photo is high resolution, but the ground. The balance of quality due to the ground settings is off set. Try using a higher res ground, also adding a sun couldn't hurt. The car and the people look like they do not belong in the picture, like as if they were cropped in.

Post edited by Angel on
    edited April 2014

Here you can use my sun preset I made.
    This photo is a sample of what it's capable of.
    All you need to do is go File > Merge > Angels Sun. Adjust the sun accordingly and render.
    These are all default daz lights, so there is no need for special add ons.

http://www.filedropper.com/angelssun

Lights_1.jpg
    1500 x 938 - 1M
    Post edited by Angel on
    edited December 1969

If that link dont work, PM me and I'll send the file to you Via skype

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

gulan7 said:
    Title should be Love is in the air mostly inspired by this song Milk & Sugar feat. John Paul Young - Love Is In The Air https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpWJt4sT9r8

I finaly learned Depth of field mostly thanks to this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AGMU46mGKs but also others that i could see in previous contest thread, though i am sorry i couldn't get my render for it. Also i have used a bit better render settings then i was using till now, thanks to Jaderail post about Depth of Field.

For lightning, i was not here and i missed that one, i just used uber environment and i guess it looks ok. And I am not sure what is double focus also.

Anyway here is what i have, any comments are welcome.

Hey if you need help that has been covered before I keep this thread for all the Users. Tips and Tricks the Master List This is a list of all the WIP threads and they have all the links to the Tutorials and the Help posted to the other users. Very much can be learned from those older Contests.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Awesome, thanks for the file, i will try using it tomorrow. You are right about the streets, i will try changing them. And thanks for the list, it will help a lot though i am missing links to Entry threads. I will try to find them :) and add to the list maybe.

edited April 2014

I only listed the WIP threads as only they have the links and help posts in them. I never thought to do a Entries List so people could look at all the art. I think that is a very good idea.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited April 2014

I hope so, beside all the tutorial and links are there. I will probably need to go trough them and see what i can learn.

For the light it worked but it is too dark and somehow figures doesn't look too good. I tried using uber environment together with it and result is somewhat better, i like the bunny costume but i think other things don't look as good as on first picture.

I was thinking to do new texture for the road, but there are three texture there and i am not really sure what are they used for. One is used in diffuse color (Render/Editor/Surfaces tab) and other is in Bump Strength. I think i need to go trough a nice texturing tutorial to do that good, although i have found a nice road textures. Those that are used now are something like cobblestone but they seem a bit bigger then they should be.

Love_is_in_the_air._._._02_.jpg
    800 x 800 - 335K
    edited December 1969

Pull up the surfaces tab for the ground texture. Replace it with this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Cement_texture.jpg
    Make sure to put the specular down to zero and no gloss value. Add the same image to the bump and adjust the bump and displacement values. Then tile it as needed. It should come out similar to this. I just made that render today. But I was using the lighting set I gave you.

Car_1.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 770K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited April 2014

@gulan7 - A few thoughts:

As to the light, you could try out a classic three-lights setup. Set up a Distant Light, possibly with a very slight yellowish tint, and with shadows, to simulate the sun. Set up a Rim Light (a Spot Light), to hit the very edges of the figures, at a lower intensity with no shadows, and then add (at least one) Bounce Light (another Spot Light), again at a lower intensity, no shadows, coming from the ground, possibly with a darker color.
    Playing around with basic lights helps, imo, to learn a lot both about the DAZ program itself and about using light in a render. Uber is a cool and powerful light, but it takes some of the decisions where and what to light away from you; same a preset lights.

In the surface of the street, the Diffuse Map is the stones you're seeing. Bump simulates height differences, literally the "bumpy" parts. Displacement does basically the same as Bump, but it's not a simulated, but rather a rendered height difference. Bump and Displacement maps only use the black/white values of a file, with lighter tones being higher and darker tones being depressed (I hope that makes sense). If you google "Bump Map", you'll see what I mean.

The figures might look a bit weird because they're not clearly interacting with the environment or each other. The bunny dude isn't looking at the woman (what's with her face, btw?), and the woman is looking at neither the car nor at the bunny. This makes them look somewhat disconnected, "dropped in." When you look at classic paintings, there's all sorts of connections, and invisible lines going through the painting, which pull everything together. Look at this
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bxOy3vDzd2E/Tiytd5u3b8I/AAAAAAAAADw/3QKcQAdVz14/s1600/supper.001.jpg
    for instance (random aside: how the hell do you link to things here?).

Post edited by TobiasG on
    edited December 1969

This should give you an idea of what bump and displacements do.
    What you are looking at is the bump map for my planet. I made a video with this plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUpY26xL_Bk

If you notice, even the clouds have displacement values.

In this render:
    The one on the left has no displacement values what so ever. Causing the surface to be totally flat and lifeless.
    The one on the right has a 100% bump & displacement value at -1.00 min +1.00 max. Which gives the surface life.

Bump_Displace.jpg
    2000 x 1066 - 1M
    edited April 2014

danwat801 said:
    Pull up the surfaces tab for the ground texture. Replace it with this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Cement_texture.jpg
    Make sure to put the specular down to zero and no gloss value. Add the same image to the bump and adjust the bump and displacement values. Then tile it as needed. It should come out similar to this. I just made that render today. But I

was using the lighting set I gave you.

It worked, and this is really good advice about specularity and gloss and i probably should do that to most of the things first.

@tobias and @danwat801 Thanks, now i understand it much better, now i need only to try and to make some bump and displacement maps.

TobiasG said:
    As to the light, you could try out a classic three-lights setup. Set up a Distant Light, possibly with a very slight yellowish tint, and with shadows, to simulate the sun. Set up a Rim Light (a

Spot Light), to hit the very edges of the figures, at a lower intensity with no shadows, and then add (at least one) Bounce Light (another Spot Light), again at a lower intensity, no shadows, coming from the ground, possibly with a

darker color.
    Playing around with basic lights helps, imo, to learn a lot both about the DAZ program itself and about using light in a render. Uber is a cool and powerful light, but it takes some of the decisions where and what to light away from you;

same a preset lights.

Ok i will have to try this, thanks for the suggestion it really made me think :)

And one more thing:

Here you can use my sun preset I made.
    This photo is a sample of what it's capable of.
    All you need to do is go File > Merge > Angels Sun. Adjust the sun accordingly and render.
    These are all default daz lights, so there is no need for special add ons.

http://www.filedropper.com/angelssun

It worked but now i am just curious how did you export this light, if i make one like TobiasG suggested, i might try to export it for later use :)

Now for the results first render is using uber environment and new ground texture, 2nd is using Angels Sun unmodified and 3rd is using and sun modified on light 150% instead of 90%. I also tried using Alchemy Chasm light preset that comes with DS4.5 Alhemy Chasm scene but it doesn't look good and it is too bright.

Btw i really like the planet video i would like to do something like that and well something like Star Trek or D&D Spelljammer :)

Edit: and i have pointed their eyes to look at camera1 which i am using. I am not sure what more could i do?

Love_is_in_the_air_V2c.jpg
    800 x 800 - 323K
    Love_is_in_the_air_V2b.jpg
    800 x 800 - 302K
    Love_is_in_the_air_V2a.jpg
    800 x 800 - 344K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Renders 2 and 3 are relatively dark because you have a strong key light (the main light), and no or very weak secondary lights. In the real world, sunlight reflects and diffuses through the atmosphere, so even an object not in direct sunlight gets lighted. You can simulate this with one or more less intense lights, likely with some sort of muted tint (I'd try something greyish here); or with - less intense - UberEnv light. Your choice.

As to the figures: I'm not seeing what they're doing, or in what way they're interacting. The body language doesn't really establish a connection either between the characters, or to the car. You could, for instance, change the posture a bit: are they talking to each other? Is Bunnyman inviting the girl for a drive? Is the woman interested in the car, or is she observing the bunny? With three figures so strongly as the focus of the picture, I'd expect them to interact in some way, y' know'? :)

The ground is already looking much better. You can increase the definition by setting a higher number if vertical and horizontal tiles in the Surface tab. A bump/displacement map is easy to make yourself: put the texture you're using in something like Photoshop or Gimp, change it to greyscale, and increase the contrast. That's it! Then you load that greyscale jpg in the bump and/or displacement map.

I'm at work, so I can't check the program, but you can "Save as" parts of your render. In that way, you can reuse lights, characters, poses and so on.

It looks like a lot to learn, but it's really relatively accessible :) The free Daz video tutorials are really good, too.

edited April 2014

Thanks, it was really helpful i have increased number of horizontal and vertical tiles to 2. Also i have reduced intensity of uber environment to half and i think it looks much better.

For the story i guess they are just going to party and their car is causing them troubles, so they are just trying to make it there in time :). I opened doors of the car and moved wheels to the right. I think figures are done ok, they are just acting in some cartoonish way.

For the bump/displacement map i will try doing it later. Also for the mentioned lights, searching on the rim light i have found this and it is a good link to see how it can be done http://www.shortcourses.com/use/using6-15.html

Anyway here is what i have now:

Edit: I have seen those DAZ Tutorials and they are really good, so i know how to use spotlights and sun lights though i am not yet used to it. Also this link is really nice now looking more at it. Chapter 6 and others can be used for Daz Studio too http://www.shortcourses.com/use/index.html

Love_is_in_the_air_V3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 351K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

adbc said:
    My entry for the contest.
    Software used : Bryce
    Title : Hanami

Very nice lighting and very springy mood! Is it just me, or are some of the flowers reflective? I wasn't sure if that was intentional or not.
    edited December 1969

Latest version.

Worked on the lights, added and tweaked props.

Looks great! I still think the shadows are a little on the dark side, but overall I like this very much.
    edited April 2014

gulan7 said:
    Thanks, it was really helpful i have increased number of horizontal and vertical tiles to 2. Also i have reduced intensity of uber environment to half and i think it looks much better.

For the story i guess they are just going to party and their car is causing them troubles, so they are just trying to make it there in time :). I opened doors of the car and moved wheels to the right. I think figures are done ok, they are just acting in some cartoonish way.

For the bump/displacement map i will try doing it later. Also for the mentioned lights, searching on the rim light i have found this and it is a good link to see how it can be done http://www.shortcourses.com/use/using6-15.html

Anyway here is what i have now:

Edit: I have seen those DAZ Tutorials and they are really good, so i know how to use spotlights and sun lights though i am not yet used to it. Also this link is really nice now looking more at it. Chapter 6 and others can be used for Daz Studio too http://www.shortcourses.com/use/index.html

If you're going for a cartoonish feeling, maybe try exaggerating the poses and/or expressions a bit (male character in particular).

Nice work on the lighting! I definitely like this version the best of all the ones you have posted.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited April 2014

My first contribution to the New Users Contest. Please tell me what you think?

Used UE2 Occlusion with directional Shadows, one Distant Light as Sun and one Area Light as a fill.

Title: Spring Bunny
    Rendered in Daz Studio

Spring_Bunny.jpg
    800 x 500 - 399K
    Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,460
    edited December 1969

Very nice start. Only one suggestion. The light on the rabbit looks yellow/green. Pry turning that light to a light brown or light grey

edited April 2014

In the first one the Distant Light was yellow to simulate sunlight at late afternoon. Turned the Areal Light in a middle blue because it should not be to dominant.

Thanks for the suggestion! Played around with brown and grey coulors. But both lights in soft grey looks best. At least I think so ...

Spring_Bunny_WIP.jpg
    800 x 500 - 319K
    Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

MN-150374 said:
    In the first one the Distant Light was yellow to simulate sunlight. Turned the Areal Light in a middle blue.

Thanks for the suggestion! Played around with brown and grey coulors. But both lights in soft grey looks best. At least I think so ...

Much better. All the colours in the image pop now.

edited December 1969

@Kismet: Edited my previous post, while you were posting. I was trying to achieve some afternoon light feeling. Now ist bright daylight! ;-)

edited December 1969

Hmm... afternoon-ish lighting. Try some very low blues to simulate the extra depth of the sky as the light travels through more atmosphere to get to the surface. This is often used as the Red pink trick for sunsets and sunrises as well when coupled with longer shadows. I think a little bit of blue (light touch) might be the goal here. Possible blue/green if passing through trees.

edited December 1969

@Scott-Livingston Thanks, i hope this looks better, i have moved camera a bit and characters too :)

Love_is_in_the_air_V5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 333K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hmm... afternoon-ish lighting. Try some very low blues to simulate the extra depth of the sky as the light travels through more atmosphere to get to the surface. This is often used as the Red pink trick for sunsets and sunrises as well when coupled with longer shadows. I think a little bit of blue (light touch) might be the goal here. Possible blue/green if passing through trees.

I will give this a try later this day, just to see how it looks like. Maybe it turns out nice.

But to skip the afternoon Feeling completely wasn´t a bad choice. ;-)

edited December 1969

The first one is the bright day light image with increased render Settings. Actually I like this one the most! :)

In the second and third image just playing with blue-ish lights and a lower light angle.
    Compared to the first one, its better to skip the afternoon mood. :red:

Please tell me what you think? Any comments?

Spring_Bunny_WIP3.jpg
    800 x 500 - 389K
    Spring_Bunny_WIP2.jpg
    800 x 500 - 312K
    Spring_Bunny_WIP1.jpg
    800 x 500 - 327K
    edited December 1969

I agree with you both the New renders look the best. And MN, yep skip the afternoon look.

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

I'm not quite sure where to go next. I like the DOF but the render just doesn't scream finished, but I don't know what's wrong with it. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Spring1.jpeg
    783 x 702 - 526K
    edited December 1969

Try some Background Items if your PC can handle it. I see trees on the far side of a open glade in my minds eye. Blurred by DOF of course.