NEW USER Contest April 2014 “WIP Thread”

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,470
    edited December 1969

Good job so far. What kind of lighting are you using? The image looks a bit on the flat side.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited April 2014

Title: Easter Egg Hunt

Softened the shadows and added some props from the new Easter Accessories freebie from DAZ.

Thanks DAZ for the wonderful freebie.

Also resized to make sure it is within the rules for this contest.

Easter_Egg_Hunt_24.jpg
    800 x 640 - 374K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited April 2014

Frank0314 said:
    Good job so far. What kind of lighting are you using? The image looks a bit on the flat side.

Thank you;) I only used low sunlight from the left and uberenvironment. I didn't use a back light so maybe I'll try that. I also added a slight haze using GIMP that may have flattened it a bit. Here's the image before the haze was added. Also, now that I'm looking at it, the tree looks a bit flat doesn't it.

Woodgod5.jpg
    783 x 702 - 529K
    Post edited by SGCBearcub on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Try some Background Items if your PC can handle it. I see trees on the far side of a open glade in my minds eye. Blurred by DOF of course.

Thanks for the idea:)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

SGCBearcub for the tree check its surface settings, Up the Bump or displacement on the Bark. Glad you liked my idea.

EDIT to ADD: I'm not sure of your level of experience but if this makes any sense to you I think it would help your image as well. On the Helm check the hanging things, Feathers and the other, for any movement type dials, tweek those so they are either hanging properly for gravity or both reacting to a wind the same. It's the little touches that often make a good image a great one.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited April 2014

Softened the shadows and added some props from the new Easter Accessories freebie from DAZ.

This has turned into one very GOOD render. As for the Size thing I'm still in talks with the Boss for getting those changed a little. With today's monitors the old size is no longer the average default that most can view properly. Also most of the Programs we can now use will do larger than that as a max size. Time moves forward so should the contest.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

This has turned into one very GOOD render. As for the Size thing I'm still in talks with the Boss for getting those changed a little. With today's monitors the old size is no longer the average default that most can view properly. Also most of the Programs we can now use will do larger than that as a max size. Time moves forward so should the contest.

Thanks Jaderail. Changing the size requirement would be helpful.

edited December 1969

okay, I've somehow lost my DOF. I moved the planes so that everything in front of M4 would be in focus and everything behind him (willow tree, deer, bird) would be out of focus. Not sure what I did wrong but its all in focus now. Help?

Woodgod6.jpeg
    785 x 702 - 612K
    screenshot.jpeg
    1201 x 426 - 530K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited April 2014

okay, I've somehow lost my DOF. I moved the planes so that everything in front of M4 would be in focus and everything behind him (willow tree, deer, bird) would be out of focus. Not sure what I did wrong but its all in focus now. Help?

I think you just need to narrow the DOF frames... I don't think the background stuff is really in focus, it's just not out of focus enough. To be honest I thought the DOF in your previous version was perfect (I liked the little bit of blur in the foreground). Very cool scene you have going--keep at it...I can't wait to see how this ends up.

Edited to add: I'm also wondering if the background objects might be better off even further in the distance... Not the deer, I like that where it is...the other stuff. That could help with the DOF issue, plus it would help to keep the focus on your character.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

MN-150374 said:
    The first one is the bright day light image with increased render Settings. Actually I like this one the most! :)

In the second and third image just playing with blue-ish lights and a lower light angle.
    Compared to the first one, its better to skip the afternoon mood. :red:

Please tell me what you think? Any comments?

I like the bright, sunny one the best too. You might be better off just sticking with that lighting, but if you want to keep playing around with a later afternoon look, I'd say you should go really subtle with the blue hue...don't overdo it, especially on the distant light.
    edited April 2014

@SGCBearcub: You just need to Adjust the Depth again. With items in the Background the old setting is not as noticeable is all.

Capture-003.PNG
    775 x 454 - 54K
    Capture-002.png
    497 x 477 - 60K
    Capture-001.png
    505 x 463 - 44K
    edited December 1969

@Jaderail and Scott Livingston- Thanks! I got my DOF blur back.

Woodgod2.jpg
    785 x 702 - 410K
    edited December 1969

@Jaderail and Scott Livingston- Thanks! I got my DOF blur back.
    Yep, your looking good now.
    edited December 1969

Let me offer you some of my Teach because I like it stuff as well. I was going to say teach because I can't but I can... Sort of, some... :-P
    For some of that it is the little things that can take a good image to a great image try this on your work. In the Boys hair, if possible a little hair hanging forward in the front would really add to this one in my view. Maybe other places if doable, don't over do it, but some would help.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    SGCBearcub for the tree check its surface settings, Up the Bump or displacement on the Bark. Glad you liked my idea.

EDIT to ADD:... On the Helm check the hanging things, Feathers and the other, for any movement type dials, tweek those so they are either hanging properly for gravity or both reacting to a wind the same.

Here's the new image after tweaking the bump settings on the tree. Thank you for pointing out the things on the helm. It never even occurred to me.

Caleb.jpg
    772 x 702 - 463K
    edited December 1969

Looking much better. Do you have any displacement on the tree. It would really made the bark stand out.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Looking much better. Do you have any displacement on the tree. It would really made the bark stand out.

Unfortunately,I seem to have pushed the displacement as far as it can go. Any higher and the bark looks all spikey. Thanks for the idea though.

edited December 1969

What are you using as a displacement map? Are you just plugging in the bump or do you have an actual black or grey and white. A lot of times just using the bump as your displacement works pretty well.

edited December 1969

I used the grey map that was plugged into the bump channel. Is that right?

edited December 1969

You can but you won't get the best results. A black and white is what it should be or a grey white. Its easy to make one. If you have photoshop just copy the texture map, desaturate it and adjust the levels Till you get good detail on the bark

edited December 1969

Thank you ! I'll try that.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Let me offer you some of my Teach because I like it stuff as well. I was going to say teach because I can't but I can... Sort of, some... :-P
    For some of that it is the little things that can take a good image to a great image try this on your work. In the Boys hair, if possible a little hair hanging forward in the front would really add to this one in my view. Maybe other places if doable, don't over do it, but some would help.

Thank you Sensei.

That is something I should have thought of myself. I was so preoccupied with the DOF & lighting I missed that detail.

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited December 1969

MN-150374 said:
    The first one is the bright day light image with increased render Settings. Actually I like this one the most! :)

In the second and third image just playing with blue-ish lights and a lower light angle.
    Compared to the first one, its better to skip the afternoon mood. :red:

Please tell me what you think? Any comments?

I like the bright, sunny one the best too. You might be better off just sticking with that lighting, but if you want to keep playing around with a later afternoon look, I'd say you should go really subtle with the blue hue...don't overdo it, especially on the distant light.

Thanks for the comment. Maybe I will make some experiments with the afternoon mood, but seems like I have made my final version.

This is my first contribution to the new users contest, better to ask this now:. Postwork is allowed, if I understand the rules correctly?

Added a bit of a Vignette effect in postwork. For comparison I will attach the plain render again.

Some comments would be nice ...

Spring_Bunny_WIP1.jpg
    800 x 500 - 327K
    Spring_Bunny_Final.jpg
    800 x 500 - 402K
    edited December 1969

Impressive. Great job. I'm really liking the lighting and the DOF is perfect

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Impressive. Great job. I'm really liking the lighting and the DOF is perfect

So I should post this quickly to the entrys thread, before the afternoon mood hits me again. :-)

Happy Easter to everybody!

edited December 1969

LOL, yes post it. You can always change it later if you think of something else. I would pick one of them and post it. If you post both then that will be your 2 entry limit.

edited December 1969

It is a great render MN-150374.

edited December 1969

Love the Rabbit render. Well done and happy you came and joined the contest.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the compliments. :red:

Followed Franks proposal and added the plain render too.

edited December 1969

Here's what I have on my second entry so far:

Black-Eyed_Susan2.jpg
    772 x 702 - 322K