MacOS Catalina & Daz Studio

124»

Comments

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

So are we still relegated to using the beta—and not using keyboard shortcuts even there—in Catalina?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,416

Most of the Catalina fixes are in the release version now, it does still have issues with keyboard short-cuts - I thought the current Public Build had a fix for that.

• DMaxDMax Posts: 637

Is it 100% safe now to upgrade to Catalina?

I am working a lot on Studio these days and am really hoping to avoid a couple of days of downtime. I recently had some difficulty with Studio and the PostgreSQL and it got fixed miraculously and mysteriously so I fear touching anything to awake the sleeping giant... :P

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,416

Try the beta, that won't disturb the older release version.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,908
    edited May 2020

I'm having problems with Catalina (10.15.2) and DAZ Studio 4.12.1.117.

"Parent In Place" doesn't always work properly anymore, "Figure -> Symmetry" has started doing funny things, and "Align" is also problematic. (ETA: looks like I solved that last one.)

I haven't contacted support yet, nor have I spent much time trying to solve these problems. So I'm not sure whether they're general issues with the version or problems that just I have. But all those issues have only started after the latest DAZ Studio update.

At least the thing with the selection menu is solved...

Post edited by Hylas on
    Hylas said:

I'm having problems with Catalina (10.15.2) and DAZ Studio 4.12.1.117.

"Parent In Place" doesn't always work properly anymore, "Figure -> Symmetry" has started doing funny things, and "Align" is also problematic. (ETA: looks like I solved that last one.)

I haven't contacted support yet, nor have I spent much time trying to solve these problems. So I'm not sure whether they're general issues with the version or problems that just I have. But all those issues have only started after the latest DAZ Studio update.

At least the thing with the selection menu is solved...

Thank you for sharing. I contine to be hesitant to upgrade to Catalina. The last thing I need now is to lose access to DS while I am ramping up on learning it.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

Most of the Catalina fixes are in the release version now, it does still have issues with keyboard short-cuts - I thought the current Public Build had a fix for that.

Is there anyone on Mac, Catalina, who can say one way or another?

edited June 2020

There hasn't been much activity on this thread so would it be safe to assume that DS now works beautifully on Catalina as per @RichardHaseltine 's comment above? Asking coz I am in the process of backing up, factory resetting and upgrading iOS :)

Post edited by DMax on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

I can still crash the beta -- sometimes -- by rendering with the keyboard shortcut, even though the spurious error dialogue no longer occurs.  This is on a Macbook running Catalina.

Ostadan said:

I can still crash the beta -- sometimes -- by rendering with the keyboard shortcut, even though the spurious error dialogue no longer occurs.  This is on a Macbook running Catalina.

I guess they have successfully fixed most, if not all, of the major issues then if what is lingering is the keyboard shortcut. I was hesitant to upgrade to Catalina because of the PostgreSQL issues I had.

• frapfrap Posts: 3

I wish I had seen this thread before I took the plunge into Catalina. Running macOS 10.15.5, DS 4.12.1.118 - I can open existing scenes by clicking on them in the content pane, but can't save them with another name, can't save materials or pose presets, can't merge without right-clicking on scene in content page and choosing merge into scene (i.e. the menu buttons do nothing.)

I'll keep soldiering on and see what I can do - in the mean time I guess I could copy/paste an existing .duf scene file in the finder and then work in that... for every new scene I want to build.

In the mean time I'm going to reboot, double-check permissions and maybe try a reinstall of DS.

• frapfrap Posts: 3

Follow-up to my previous post.

Reboot, and a double-check of file permissions for DAZ has it working flawlessly now. (Well, if you don't count a simple dForce items sometimes exploding geometry during simulation, but that's normal.)

Note: in the file permissions DAZ did not have permissions to my Documents folder, but it had permissions to everything else. frown Once that was sorted it was all gravy.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,908

I haven't had any problems with Catalina 10.15.5 and DS 4.12.1.118.

Granted, I haven't used DS much recently so I might have missed some stuff.

• What about Big Sur?

• Daz Central install doesn't work on Mac Os Catalina 10.15.6

• Daz Central install doesn't work on Mac Os Catalina 10.15.6

I have the same issue.

• Nor on 10.15.7 - says "“DazCentral (64-bit)” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin."

• Nor on 10.15.7 - says "“DazCentral (64-bit)” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin."

You need to Disable Gatekeeper,

Open a new Terminal Window and enter the following

sudo spctl --master-disable

Once you have finished installing Re-Enable Gatekeeper by entering the follwoing into the Terminal Window

sudo spctl --master-enable

If you look at your Security Settings while Gatekeeper is Disabled you will see that you have the 3 options like you did in MacOS Mountain Lion

• mavante said:

Is there anyone on Mac, Catalina, who can say one way or another?

Keyboard shortcuts seems to be working fine on MacOS Catalina

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,130
    Platnumk said:

Nor on 10.15.7 - says "“DazCentral (64-bit)” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin."

Once you have finished installing Re-Enable Gatekeeper by entering the follwoing into the Terminal Window

If you look at your Security Settings while Gatekeeper is Disabled you will see that you have the 3 options like you did in MacOS Mountain Lion

I am impressed by just how many terminal commands you know. Is there any application that can list the Terminal Commands, describing what each does? And, then, hopefully, even insert a typed terminal command into the terminal for you?

• inquire said:
    Platnumk said:

Nor on 10.15.7 - says "“DazCentral (64-bit)” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin."

I am impressed by just how many terminal commands you know. Is there any application that can list the Terminal Commands, describing what each does? And, then, hopefully, even insert a typed terminal command into the terminal for you?

I normally google how to do something in the terminal then keep a note of it for later use,  Here is a full list of MacOS Termonal Commands

OH, thanks for the list of terminal commands.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831

'Terminal Commands' on the Mac are essentially the full set of UNIX commands supported by the Darwin OS (Darwin is a UNIX or UNIX-like operating system that underlies MacOS). These will include standard UNIX commands like 'ls' and 'mv', and Mac-specific ones like 'spctl'. The full list might well be longer than the one linked by @platnumk.

You should also be aware that UNIX assumes you know what you're doing. Unlike the MacOS, it does not try to protect you from the consequences of doing something foolish (ask the man who recently took down an entire webserver by doing something bone-headed). If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily lose files or even damage your system. For example, I once had to clean up after a guy who figured he could save disk space by deleting a clearly unnecessary directory called '/tmp'. Spoiler: it was not unnecessary at all, and things did not go well.

Rather than playing around on the command line, you might want to look at an app like Onyx, TinkerTool or Cocktail. These give you a more 'control-panel' like interface for working with the low-level features of your Mac, and might prevent you doing anything too fatal to your computer.

Note: it's been a while since I used any of the apps mentioned above, so use at your own risk. Overall, though, unless you have some familiarity with using command-line interfaces and with the UN*X command set, they may be a safer choice than diving into Terminal and typing whatever.

Much good advice here, and thank you for it. I wasn't planning on playing around. Yep, I know that UNIX or Darwin doesn't give you a chance to "undo," it just does it. I do use Cocktail, which I've used for years. There is a new version for Catalina, which I've got. I was just wonderfing if there is an application that would tell you what the specific command would do, and then would even paste it into the terminal for you, so that you would not make a mistake, at least not a mistake with the typing.

• bytescapes said:

'Terminal Commands' on the Mac are essentially the full set of UNIX commands supported by the Darwin OS (Darwin is a UNIX or UNIX-like operating system that underlies MacOS). These will include standard UNIX commands like 'ls' and 'mv', and Mac-specific ones like 'spctl'. The full list might well be longer than the one linked by @platnumk.

You should also be aware that UNIX assumes you know what you're doing. Unlike the MacOS, it does not try to protect you from the consequences of doing something foolish (ask the man who recently took down an entire webserver by doing something bone-headed). If you don't know what you're doing, you can easily lose files or even damage your system. For example, I once had to clean up after a guy who figured he could save disk space by deleting a clearly unnecessary directory called '/tmp'. Spoiler: it was not unnecessary at all, and things did not go well.

Rather than playing around on the command line, you might want to look at an app like Onyx, TinkerTool or Cocktail. These give you a more 'control-panel' like interface for working with the low-level features of your Mac, and might prevent you doing anything too fatal to your computer.

Note: it's been a while since I used any of the apps mentioned above, so use at your own risk. Overall, though, unless you have some familiarity with using command-line interfaces and with the UN*X command set, they may be a safer choice than diving into Terminal and typing whatever.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

bytescapes said:

Nowadays, MacOS does other things to make it hard for even a knowledgeable root user to do things. For example, putting files into /usr/lib requires booting into safe mode, because MacOS mounts /usr/lib read-only.  I understand why they do this, but it is no less frustrating for that.

I guess they are trying to make the OS as secure as possible from viruses.