MacOS Catalina & Daz Studio

Is anyone running Daz Studio on MacOS Catalina yet? 

The reason I ask is because when I upgraded my Mac to Mojave last year, it broke Daz install manager for a little while. So I'm hesitant to update my Mac at the moment.

Cheers!

Comments

• Daz is working on making DIM compatible with Catalina, but the version has not yet been released http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403
    edited October 2019

I have not seen any issues and have upgraded two Macs. To be fair, however, I've only had it for less than a day so YMMV.

Edit: Hold up...File->Open is being goofy... More below

Post edited by Aabacus on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

So far, the file open dialogs (file->Open, texture map selection, etc) seem to be broken in Catalina, but I haven't spotted any other issues (yet...)

Lots of stuff reportedly broken in various different software though, so I'd recommend holding off on it for a while.

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403
    edited October 2019

So far, the file open dialogs (file->Open, texture map selection, etc) seem to be broken in Catalina, but I haven't spotted any other issues (yet...)

Lots of stuff reportedly broken in various different software though, so I'd recommend holding off on it for a while.

File->Open seems to have a challenge right now...as in...all my files are grayed out. The only thing I can open is from recent. That's an interesting thing to have snuck through QA. For what it's worth my files are on a removable drive (data drive is removable) sooo...yeah. Interesting.

Edit: So you can't go to File->Open and get to your files (at least I can't) BUT you can drag and drop from your file location onto a NEW scene (seems to want to be a merge). Not perfect but could help some folks keep moving forward.   

Post edited by Aabacus on
  • Aabacus said:

File->Open seems to have a challenge right now...as in...all my files are grayed out. The only thing I can open is from recent. That's an interesting thing to have snuck through QA. For what it's worth my files are on a removable drive (data drive is removable) sooo...yeah. Interesting.

Edit: So you can't go to File->Open and get to your files (at least I can't) BUT you can drag and drop from your file location onto a NEW scene (seems to want to be a merge). Not perfect but could help some folks keep moving forward.   

Me Too!!

In the environment settings, I gave full access rights, but it was no good.

• Aabacus said:

Yeah.. this works, but sort of a mess.  I was on the phone with Apple earlier and they believe, after going through quite a bit, that it's a DS bug...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Well it's only a bug to the extent that DS doesn't meet a new file handling requirement that didn't previously exist...

• Thanks so much for the info everyone! I definitely think I'll wait for a while before I upgrade to Catalina :)

• N3p3nth3N3p3nth3 Posts: 129

How's dforce?

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

My Questions (Although, really One Big Question): Does Catalina contain Open GL and Open CL? Or, is there only Metal? Can present users of Catalina and DAZ Studio pose and render scenes in DAZ Studio. Does iRay run via the CPU, as it does in, for example, Sierra?

• inquire said:

My Questions (Although, really One Big Question): Does Catalina contain Open GL and Open CL? Or, is there only Metal? Can present users of Catalina and DAZ Studio pose and render scenes in DAZ Studio. Does iRay run via the CPU, as it does in, for example, Sierra?

Hi, Luxrender 1.6 works under Catalina for me. It's Daz Studio my problem, i can't File-Open my works, files are grayed out :(

So my conclusion OpenGL and Open CL is in Catalina.

• mclaughmclaugh Posts: 221
    Aabacus said:

Random shots in the dark here, but ... have you tried repairing file/folder permissions and giving DS full disk access (System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access)?

• Tried to install Carrara 8.5 Pro (64 bit) with the DIM (64 bit). Carrara WILL NOT install! Is it a problem with the install manager or with Catalina?

Thanks

Weet

• LD1LD1 Posts: 135

Can anyone open 3rd party OBJ's in DAZ? They are greyed out in the Finder window when I search inside DAZ> ? But they show just fine in the Finder window when I search inside ZBrush.

DAZ import.jpg
    848 x 789 - 107K
  • LD1LD1 Posts: 135

Quote: "My Questions (Although, really One Big Question): Does Catalina contain Open GL and Open CL? Or, is there only Metal? Can present users of Catalina and DAZ Studio pose and render scenes in DAZ Studio. Does iRay run via the CPU, as it does in, for example, Sierra?"

Catalina is not supposed to support Open CL or GL - only Metal. At this point, I do not believe that DAZ supports Metal.

FYI: I was able to open DAZ in Catalina, load Victoria 4 and render it on my Mac. I believe it is working off the CPU NOT the GPU. So far I only notice a problem opening OBJ's (as I mentioned in the previous post).

• LD1 said:

Quote: "My Questions (Although, really One Big Question): Does Catalina contain Open GL and Open CL? Or, is there only Metal? Can present users of Catalina and DAZ Studio pose and render scenes in DAZ Studio. Does iRay run via the CPU, as it does in, for example, Sierra?"

Catalina is not supposed to support Open CL or GL - only Metal. At this point, I do not believe that DAZ supports Metal.

FYI: I was able to open DAZ in Catalina, load Victoria 4 and render it on my Mac. I believe it is working off the CPU NOT the GPU. So far I only notice a problem opening OBJ's (as I mentioned in the previous post).

Ars notes Open CL and GL are stuck at ancient versions and are not being updated .. but they're there and work

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/macos-10-15-catalina-the-ars-technica-review/3/

• I have Catalina installed and have been able to render just fine.  Here are two images I have done.  One is in Iray and the other is in 3DL.  My only problems with Catalina are the File->Open issue mentioned above and GenX doesn't work (probably a 32-bit plugin).

Steampunk Bike (3DL).jpg
    1200 x 960 - 305K
    Steampunk Street (Iray).jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 434K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,416
    edited October 2019
    itinerant said:

I have Catalina installed and have been able to render just fine.  Here are two images I have done.  One is in Iray and the other is in 3DL.  My only problems with Catalina are the File->Open issue mentioned above and GenX doesn't work (probably a 32-bit plugin).

GenX is not 32 bit, I am told you should watch the change log http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_1_16

Edited to have the right G*Lateletterofthealphabet name, and to add change log link

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,130
    itinerant said:

I have Catalina installed and have been able to render just fine.  Here are two images I have done.  One is in Iray and the other is in 3DL.  My only problems with Catalina are the File->Open issue mentioned above and GenX doesn't work (probably a 32-bit plugin).

Thanks so much for posting, itinerant, and for posting both a 3DL and an iRay render. Glad to know DAZ Studio still works in Catalina.

• Richard, how do we obtain 4.12.1.16? Is that only available on the beta channel?

• Richard, how do we obtain 4.12.1.16? Is that only available on the beta channel?

It isn't yet available, hence referring you to the chnage log (to show it's happening) rather than telling you to download something. But these issues are being worked on, Daz isn't ignoring them.

• It isn't yet available, hence referring you to the chnage log (to show it's happening) rather than telling you to download something. But these issues are being worked on, Daz isn't ignoring them.

Sorry. Not familiar with how DAZ does these things as I've always stuck with the production release. So this is likely to be a matter of weeks or months rather than days?

• It isn't yet available, hence referring you to the chnage log (to show it's happening) rather than telling you to download something. But these issues are being worked on, Daz isn't ignoring them.

Sorry. Not familiar with how DAZ does these things as I've always stuck with the production release. So this is likely to be a matter of weeks or months rather than days?

I don't know, and couldn't even offer an informed guess - depending on what theya re doing the wait for the next public build/general release can vary over a very wide range.

• IbemeIbeme Posts: 4

I've discovered the merge command no longer works. Since I prefer to setup and tweak figures and poses individually before merging them into a larger scene, this is a problem.

• I'm having the same problem with Catalina OS too. I'm not able to Merge, Open any previous .DUF file and it won't Import any type of file....Specifically .OBJ files. I am able to Open on the Recently Opened Files. One of those is a huge Star Wars Imperial Hangar project with 17 Merged scenes. I'm running it on a 2019 iMac Pro workstation..

• Have you tried the current Public Build - there was an issue affecting soem fiel dialogues which had multiple extensions, I'm not sure if it would affect the Merge dialogue (assuimg it's .duf files you are merging) though.

• Hey, hey. Thought I'd pop back into this thread. How's Catalina & Daz working together now? Seems like people are still having issues. I think I'll probably hold off upgrading to Catalina until Daz receives an update for it. Seems like Catalina has been breaking quite a lot of apps in general (from some stuff I've been reading). Frustrating! 

• Hey, hey. Thought I'd pop back into this thread. How's Catalina & Daz working together now? Seems like people are still having issues. I think I'll probably hold off upgrading to Catalina until Daz receives an update for it. Seems like Catalina has been breaking quite a lot of apps in general (from some stuff I've been reading). Frustrating! 

Have you tried the 4.12.1.x Public Builds?

• Where do I get hose?