MacOS Catalina & Daz Studio

Comments

• AlfiAlfi Posts: 7
    Aabacus said:

So far, the file open dialogs (file->Open, texture map selection, etc) seem to be broken in Catalina, but I haven't spotted any other issues (yet...)

Lots of stuff reportedly broken in various different software though, so I'd recommend holding off on it for a while.

File->Open seems to have a challenge right now...as in...all my files are grayed out. The only thing I can open is from recent. That's an interesting thing to have snuck through QA. For what it's worth my files are on a removable drive (data drive is removable) sooo...yeah. Interesting.

Edit: So you can't go to File->Open and get to your files (at least I can't) BUT you can drag and drop from your file location onto a NEW scene (seems to want to be a merge). Not perfect but could help some folks keep moving forward.   

Great - thanks -  havn't been able to open any files lately. But the drag and drop tip worked ! laugh 

I'm just curious - why havn't Daz fixed this issue yet ...

• annelise said:
    Aabacus said:

So far, the file open dialogs (file->Open, texture map selection, etc) seem to be broken in Catalina, but I haven't spotted any other issues (yet...)

Lots of stuff reportedly broken in various different software though, so I'd recommend holding off on it for a while.

File->Open seems to have a challenge right now...as in...all my files are grayed out. The only thing I can open is from recent. That's an interesting thing to have snuck through QA. For what it's worth my files are on a removable drive (data drive is removable) sooo...yeah. Interesting.

Edit: So you can't go to File->Open and get to your files (at least I can't) BUT you can drag and drop from your file location onto a NEW scene (seems to want to be a merge). Not perfect but could help some folks keep moving forward.   

Great - thanks -  havn't been able to open any files lately. But the drag and drop tip worked ! laugh 

I'm just curious - why havn't Daz fixed this issue yet ...

It is fixed in the current Public Build https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

• Any ideas when 4.12 beta supporting Catalina would be released as stable?

Thanks!

• byoshka said:

Any ideas when 4.12 beta supporting Catalina would be released as stable?

Thanks!

No, but you can run the Public Build and the General Release side-by-side.

• AlfawulfAlfawulf Posts: 174

OK my livelihood depends on my Daz running smoothly.

Not taking the Cat update is getting frustrating though as Mohave is starting to bug out from lack of support.

Any news??

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186

Add me to the boat. I'm still on Mojave for my desktop, but I've just ordered a new 16" MBP to replace my ageing 2011 13" MBP so that'll be forcing me to Catalina on that machine. I'm debating using it to replace my 4-year-old iMac as well to go down to a single system, but I'd want DAZ to work on Catalina for that to happen. I did just notice a DIM upgrade when I opened it today, so that's promising.

• Just 'upgraded' to Catalina and having a terrible time with it. I am unable to import anything into Daz, either an .obj file into the viewer or any image files into the surfaces tab. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,391

Just 'upgraded' to Catalina and having a terrible time with it. I am unable to import anything into Daz, either an .obj file into the viewer or any image files into the surfaces tab. 

As mentioned in earlier posts, Catalina broke the general release of DS. You have to install the DS beta which includes fixes for that problem.

• Thanks. I have struggled with getting the beta version but I can't get install manager to work, finally only managing to get a tiny public build file installed that seems to make no difference. Is there a manual install?

The beta can only be installed with DIM. It installs a separate version of the program next to the general release, it doesn't replace it.

• danafengdanafeng Posts: 0

Just 'upgraded' to Catalina and having a terrible time with it. I am unable to import anything into Daz, either an .obj file into the viewer or any image files into the surfaces tab. 

Hi!Do you still have this problem. Neither do I. So tragedy!!!

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660

I am running the current Public Beta now, installed because I finally ran out of work-arounds for the file-opening issue - and I'm having a different and worse problem now. When I try to save my scene, it will occasionally give me this error and then crash. The result of this is that my already saved scene file is now lost, apparently deleted in the save process and not replaced. 

At first I thought maybe it was just having this issue with certain scenes, and maybe it is, but I've had it happen with several scenes, some created entirely with the beta, some saved files I created in the previous version. Anyone else had this? My DAZ library and save folders are all on an external drive if that could be the issue somehow, though it has correct permission as far as I can tell, and has managed to make saves successfully. It does it successfully until suddenly it doesn't and I lose the whole scene file. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 9.04.11 PM.png
    3152 x 942 - 533K
  • warrenaowarrenao Posts: 59

My current Catalina build is 10.15.4. My current Daz build is 4.12.1.117.

I've been manually extracting what remains of my hair ever since the upgrade to Catalina. The latest (non-beta) release of Daz seems to have addressed the "DUF files greyed out" problem, which was never particularly egregious, since drag/drop into the Daz window worked well enough — but I have been consistently getting this error, in every version of Catalina, every time I load Studio. The current release still throws it.

"writeAuth: Couldn't open configuration file for writing."

This appears to be a problem with the database engine, but I've been unable to track down what's causing it, or what I need to do to make the "configuration file" writable, or indeed which "configuration file" is even the one that can't be opened for writing.

This doesn't seem to prevent me from being able to actually work with Daz, but it's maddening, and it makes Studio's load halt until I click OK, so there's no such thing as loading Studio, walking away to get a cup of coffee, and returning to find the application loaded and ready to use.

All my Daz content, including its database files, is housed on an external volume, not the boot volume, and not in my home user folder. I don't know if that may be contributing to this problem — but prior to Catalina, that setup was the same, and I never got this error. I cannot change the way the Daz content is stored. It's far too large to fit in my home folder.

I've scoured the net and the forums here for help, but either no one's had this problem since 2015, and the solutions there weren't workable now; or I haven't been searching for the right kind of help in the right way. I'm at a loss, and it is even conceivable I'm the only human on the planet seeing this error.

Screencap of the error is attached, for what it's worth. I'd appreciate some suggestions on where to look for the solution. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 11.54.13.png
    390 x 304 - 119K
    danafeng said:

Hi!Do you still have this problem. Neither do I. So tragedy!!!

Release version 4.12.1 seems to have corrected it, which is nice.

warrenao said:

My current Catalina build is 10.15.4. My current Daz build is 4.12.1.117.

I've been manually extracting what remains of my hair ever since the upgrade to Catalina. The latest (non-beta) release of Daz seems to have addressed the "DUF files greyed out" problem, which was never particularly egregious, since drag/drop into the Daz window worked well enough — but I have been consistently getting this error, in every version of Catalina, every time I load Studio. The current release still throws it.

"writeAuth: Couldn't open configuration file for writing."

Small step in the right direction, but then a step back. Per a comment in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/744220/

…I uninstalled LAMH via DIM. That did away with the error. However, a subsequent reinstall of LAMH (also via DIM) caused the error to return, which is not the behavior noted by others in that thred.

So it now looks as though I know which component is causing the problem — the third-party "Look at my Hair" extension — but short of uninstalling it, I don't see how to correct it permanently.

• Hey all! 

I've just seen from DIM and from the last few comments here that there is an update for DAZ on Mac. Does anyone know if it's fixed the issues with Catalina? I'm still running Mojave as part of my livelyhood requires a smooth running DAZ. I would quite like to updrade to Catalina as it's been out a while but I'll hold off until I know it can suppport DAZ properly. 

Cheers for any info :) 

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

I created a Catalinia VM and am trying a few things. I'm not seeing errors BUT BUT BUT would HUGELY recommend you do the same. VMWare Fusion...Catalina install. DAZ. Do the thing and see if it works for you. It's currently working for me. 

• Aabacus said:

I created a Catalinia VM and am trying a few things. I'm not seeing errors BUT BUT BUT would HUGELY recommend you do the same. VMWare Fusion...Catalina install. DAZ. Do the thing and see if it works for you. It's currently working for me. 

Cheers for the info. Might do the same. Still seems that a few people are having issues with Daz running on Catalina even after the new update

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

Catalina has changed things so that portions of the operating system are stored more securely. LAMH may be trying to write its configuration file to a newly-"protected" area. It probably needs an update to be more sensitive to where it stores things. 

• dragon440dragon440 Posts: 33
    edited May 2020

I'm using macOS Catalina for over 6 months now and I'm a bit surprised because there wasn't any specific update for DAZ studio yet. I'm not a programmer, but I don't think would be that big effort. I'm using Studio anyway. File requesters are broken, to open a project I have to drag the icon inside the viewport.  To open a texture I have to change its extension to .jpeg instead of .jpg.. please, it's really time for an update, remeber this fall there will be another update of macOS crying

Post edited by dragon440 on

Which version of DS are you using? Fixes for Catalina were added in DS beta months ago, and that version is now the General release.

Leana said:

Which version of DS are you using? Fixes for Catalina were added in DS beta months ago, and that version is now the General release.

The last available of course. Installed from scratch 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,416

Please check Help>About Daz Studio for the actual version number.

edited May 2020

It was 4.12.0.86

Ok, you have a point there, sorry but I really missed the 4.12.1.117 . If I've read well, was released as April 20th (not months ago, just 1), so still 6 months after the release of Catalina. I really hope it won't  last 6 months, after another macOS is released. Thanks anyway for help me

Schermata 2020-05-21 alle 20.00.10.jpg
    1372 x 1052 - 231K
    Post edited by dragon440 on
    dragon440 said:

It was 4.12.0.86

Ok, you have a point there, sorry but I really missed the 4.12.1.117 . If I've read well, was released as April 20th (not months ago, just 1), so still 6 months after the release of Catalina. I really hope it won't  last 6 months, after another macOS is released. Thanks anyway for help me

The latest general release was indeed released in April, but the fixes for Catalina were added in the first 4.12.1 beta which was released last October. 

I never used beta's before maybe it's time! Thanks for helping. 

I already regret I updated, you know, lol. IMHO is very unstable and crashes very often. When I open a project I have 2 requester windows, 2 renders window with render (with relative message, render is already in use). When I save a project, very often says "unable to save a file". I save again and all is good. Very strange for me. Anyone have the same? 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,416
    dragon440 said:

I already regret I updated, you know, lol. IMHO is very unstable and crashes very often. When I open a project I have 2 requester windows, 2 renders window with render (with relative message, render is already in use). When I save a project, very often says "unable to save a file". I save again and all is good. Very strange for me. Anyone have the same? 

In the beta? That is an issue in the release version (and the crashing may well be related to the double commands) that has beena ddressed in the beta - if you want to stick with the release version avoid using short cuts like cmd S and cmd R for now.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

I have an issue open where the beta (and release version) crash... sometimes... when a render completes or sometimes when the completed window is close, or sometimes when the render is cancelled.  This occurs more often (I think) on High Sierra (my main computer) than on Catalina (my laptop), but it is hard to tell.  I *think* it is related to the shortcut issue: when I render by clicking the render button rather than the shortcut, I do not seem to get the crash.   

Anyone else seeing this?

dragon440 said:

In the beta? That is an issue in the release version (and the crashing may well be related to the double commands) that has beena ddressed in the beta - if you want to stick with the release version avoid using short cuts like cmd S and cmd R for now.

Yes the beta and release version. Indeed, I use shortcuts, I will try without, thx!