off topic thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

it's not the same as suspended animation smiley

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Sorting my kitchen cabinets and freezer.  Would you keep frozen fish that was 3.5 years beyond the expiration date?  I mean, it’s frozen, right?  What could happen to it while its frozen? 

it'll dehydrate, so you wind up with something akin to fishy cardboard.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited February 2019

oh cool Poser11pro fitting room weightmapped clothing works on Michael 4 in Carrara

One of my outfits I made for Genesis 3 shaped using the clone and exported as an obj then fitted in Poser
    Carrara Octane render

l0014.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 271K
    l0051.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 298K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • video

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Excellent discovery, Wendy. I've been able to convert all my Poser7 Sydney and Simon content to V4 and M4 using Poser's wardrobe wizard (and apropriate modules), then to Genesis and Genesis 2 figures using Daz Studio's transfer utility.  I had purchased an Occupations pack, a Historical pack, and a World Leaders pack from smith micro for Poser 7 figures.  Very happy to retain that functionality.  

• yeah figures give issues but conformed clothing is fine

I just imported obj files already shaped to fit

so thats another way if you use clones 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,995

I never thought about trying that.... must put on my to do list ... thanks yes

sounds exciting !

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited February 2019

Seem to have a diverse group at Carrara so I thought the following surveys might be a fun conversation starter and way to break the ice since I'm new.  :)

Where were you raised in Ireland, UK, USA & Canada?  (Be interesting to see if the British survey can ID Australia & New Zealand)

(The links are through the New York Times.  As far as I know they don't have a paywall until you've read 10 articles, or you have to log in)

Ireland_UK

Canada_USA

No surprise, as an American taking the survey for British English, results were: “You’re not from around here are you!”  wink

The one for us in the states & Canada was interesting.  It had me as being from the beltway: Washington DC, Arlington, VA or Baltimore, MD.  Thought that was odd until I remembered my Dad would’ve been stationed at the pentagon around the time I was learning to talk.  Did that make a difference in pronouncing words?  Maybe it did if survey is to be believed. 

Most regional word I used was‘soda’ for “a sweet carbonated beverage.”  Pointed to Midwest-- Kansas & Nebraska.  Dad had a farm there we’d visit every summer.  Had me pegged pretty good! 

Post edited by Tynkere on

mm.. I am born and raised in Australia and also said I'm not from around here lol.. but it does show my heritage pretty well which is Manchester area.. in England.  surprise

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

It has me in Jackson, Birmingham and Montgomery (Mississippi and Alabama), pretty much the Deep South, and not in New England.  I grew up in Oklahoma and have lived in Houston for decades.  Not too bad, although most Houstonians would say they are not from the Deep South, Texas being Texas after all.  

A friend had a brother from New Jersey visit, they took off for Beaumont (on the Lousiana border, the edge of Cajun country) and stopped for gas.  The friend told the Jersey guy to ask for directions, then asked what the station guy said.  "I couldn't understand a word" he replied.  Try it yourself:

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Pegged me very well.  Survey said I was from Philadelphia, which is where I grew up.  I’ve lived in Texas, Virginia, Florida, and Washington, DC as an adult, but I learned to talk in Philly.  I think one question identified Philly, which was a question about the name of a type of sandwich.  We call them hoagies.  Rarely hear hoagie elsewhere.  

Pegged me very well.  Survey said I was from Philadelphia, which is where I grew up.  I’ve lived in Texas, Virginia, Florida, and Washington, DC as an adult, but I learned to talk in Philly.  I think one question identified Philly, which was a question about the name of a type of sandwich.  We call them hoagies.  Rarely hear hoagie elsewhere.  

learned of hoagies in Florida

Po'boys in Naw'Leans

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2019

placed whereabouts in Britain I grew up really well. Put me in the South East of England and for some parts pinpointed NW Kent. Did also show some influences  from places I visited often before moving to Wales.  I did avoid clicking on things I know I have picked up since living in Wales.

Apparently the fact that I said "Cheesy Bug" for an insect that curls up  was the one that pinpointed only a tiny are in SE England which was alomost spot on.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

It is all lost on me.

I was born and raised in Southern Ontario in Canada.

It gave me Boise, Idaho; 

Seattle, Washington;

and Floarida, Cant remember the city.

So it was not so accurate for me. I must admit though having been in the army I have picked up lingo from all across Canada suchas the Newfoundland saying

Stay where your at and I will come where your too.

But it did not pick anything Canadian.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

It was pretty accurate for me in Kent too, although we called them "pea bugs".

The US one reckoned I came from New York!!

having trouble snapping out of it this mornin.  caffeeeene!

I did get the impression with the UK one that the person who wrote it wasn't familiar with the british "class" system, as some of the answers did tend to be affected more by class than area. 

Chohole said:

I did get the impression with the UK one that the person who wrote it wasn't familiar with the british "class" system, as some of the answers did tend to be affected more by class than area. 

i think yous graduate school earlier than we do.

we typically graduate high school at age 18/19

edited February 2019
    Mystarra said:
    Chohole said:

i think yous graduate school earlier than we do.

we typically graduate high school at age 18/19

We don't think of it as graduating but typically 18 is school leaving age for those who choose to stay on and complete studies before going on to Further education at Uni.  We only call it graduating when leaving Uni. It is possible, but not recommended, to leave school at 16 but more and more now are choosing to stay through the 6th form and gain better qualifications.   Younger years are different as well.  preschool or nursery school up to age 5, then 5-7 is infants school  7-11 is junior school and then from 11 onwards is secondary education. Most schools nowadays are Comprehensive schools, although there is a move back to some Grammar schools (selective schools, based on exams at 11, called 11+)

But when I said class I was meaning  lower class, middle class and upper class, rather than school classes.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited February 2019

That was funny.... I was raised in the US but have lived here over 20 years.  There are so many words that are regional in the UK. I was up in nr Sheffield last autumn and went into a cafe for some breakfast.  I was looking for a bacon or sausage egg sandwich/sarnie/roll and didn't see it. Found out that's called a cob up there.  (Tasted the same). What do these people do when they go to a MacDonalds?  blush

At the end when they say that the person has some strange mixture of words they have used... well that would happen if you move about even within the UK, or others move from away to where you are living and you get used to them and they you.  frown

My favourite term that did not take getting used to (in spite of never having heard it before) after moving over from the US and working at my first UK job?  Home time!!!  laugh

yes  SIlene

PS... Chohole... in the US they have cap and gowns for KINDERGARTEN!!! surprise

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited February 2019

That was funny.... I was raised in the US but have lived here over 20 years.  There are so many words that are regional in the UK. I was up in nr Sheffield last autumn and went into a cafe for some breakfast.  I was looking for a bacon or sausage egg sandwich/sarnie/roll and didn't see it. Found out that's called a cob up there.  (Tasted the same). What do these people do when they go to a MacDonalds?  blush

At the end when they say that the person has some strange mixture of words they have used... well that would happen if you move about even within the UK, or others move from away to where you are living and you get used to them and they you.  frown

My favourite term that did not take getting used to (in spite of never having heard it before) after moving over from the US and working at my first UK job?  Home time!!!  laugh

yes  SIlene

PS... Chohole... in the US they have cap and gowns for KINDERGARTEN!!! surprise

Oh surely not. 

And regional names for things are fun.  My Stepson's wife and in-laws are 100% Scots, but they live in north Lincolnshire. They say buns where we say rolls or baps or whatever.

And despite living here in Wales 10 years I still think I have Lunch and Dinner,  but next door they have Dinner and Tea

And I have heard they do it in Japan and China now as well.  frown  Silene

And I have heard they do it in Japan and China now as well.  frown  Silene

It's bad enough that they have started having school leaving Proms over here now.

• Peter Tork has taken the last train to Clarksville 

Rest in peace

Its Rodeo time here in Houston, a huge event that goes on for weeks with all kinds of big shows.  Also a big time for barbeque and chili cookoffs, with teams from all over the world.  It brings to mind a funny story, an oldie but a goodie (caution: bad words):

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1101643

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

All quite interesting.  So it seems stilted towards UK and continental US?  A Canadian being told “Seattle.”  (Silly yanks!)  An Englishman being told New York.  (The very idea!)

Colleague from Trinidad & Tobago took it.  Had him as New Orleans, or most regional-- Seattle or Portland because he picked the word “Highway.”  Go figure!

---

Graduating from Kindergarten.  I feel so deprived now.  Maybe air force bases were different.  “School’s out for the summer.  Clean out your desks.   You there... What’s all those crayon marks?  That’s government property you know.  Scrub them off or I’m calling your Dad!”  (Uh oh...)

--- 

Heh.  Chili cookoff in Terlingua Texas not for the faint of heart.  Imagine sunbaked, half mad old hippies dumping pounds of red pepper into the pot and that’s still too mild.  The ground water out there is very bitter and tastes terrible.  They make a lot of money selling beer!  Small world btw.  I’m in San Antonio TX.

---

On a more serious note, thanks Wendy-- hadn’t heard of that.  People made fun of them, but I liked the Monkees. 

RIP Peter Tork-- gave us fond memories and (for me at least) songs I could sing along with as a child. 

Tynkere said:

Heh.  Chili cookoff in Terlingua Texas not for the faint of heart.  Imagine sunbaked, half mad old hippies dumping pounds of red pepper into the pot and that’s still too mild.  The ground water out there is very bitter and tastes terrible.  They make a lot of money selling beer!  Small world btw.  I’m in San Antonio TX.

"Terlingua, Texas. It’s the Super Bowl of chili cook-offs."  Population:58.  Nearby attractions:  Big Bend National Park, Big Bend Ranch State Park, Mexico.  Distance to nearest city: Several fillups.  A funny overview here:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/terlingua-chili-cook-off-at-the-fifty/

Tynkere said:

All quite interesting.  So it seems stilted towards UK and continental US?  A Canadian being told “Seattle.”  (Silly yanks!)  An Englishman being told New York.  (The very idea!)

I think states that border Canada pick up each other's lingo and such. I lived in NH, but down on the coast. Up nr the Canadian border it was hard to tell the difference between the two. Even down where I was, there were a lot of 'ay's' along with the 'ayups'.  

Where I live now, the local accent is very Long John Silver ... there be pirates accent is the local one. Ooo err me lover!  

devil  Silene

This discussion has been closed.