February 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Lighting

Comments

• daybird said:

*Hihi* The longer I work with DAZ, the more difficult it seems to handle.

My intention was to create a melancholic Scene, but it's not easy to find a good camera position and I have also problems with the light. Maybe I should reduct the enviroment light a little and find another position for the spotlight in the room. Another problem is the skydome texture. First I tought it was a nice idea for the whole scene, but now I have realiced, that I have nearly nothing in my content, that fits in the scene...especial for a focuspoint outside. 
    Ah and I have a big problem with the free Window prob. It seems not possible to implie a stone texture on the red wall in this freebie. (Free Bay Window by Adam Thwaites)
    Have someone a idea, what it prevents?

Are the textures not showing like they should or not taking on new shaders like you expect?  I'm not familiar with the set, but I'll take a look at it.  Do you have a direct link to the set?  Adam has a ton of stuff on his site and I couldn't find the window seat.

• DeliriousDelirious Posts: 34
    edited February 2017

Here is my entry. I stopped the render early because I know it still needs work. Any suggests?

lighting_contest.jpg
    857 x 856 - 670K
    Post edited by Delirious on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Are the textures not showing like they should or not taking on new shaders like you expect?  I'm not familiar with the set, but I'll take a look at it.  Do you have a direct link to the set?  Adam has a ton of stuff on his site and I couldn't find the window seat.

The texture doesn't shows up. I hope the link works http://www.most-digital-creations.com/free_poser_poses_textures_morphs_props_55.htm

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited February 2017

Figure fallen asleep and dreaming while reading a book

My aim for this month’s challenge is to create a dark(ish) dream/nightmare scene depicting a figure who has been reading a book and is just nodding off to sleep where she sits, the book still in hand and almost ready to drop. I want the scene to have a psychological dimension, which I hope I can achieve through some interesting lighting and choice of props.

I’ve studied the suggested tutorials as well as some others I’ve found online to do with Iray and building up a scene with lights. I’m learning the ropes with lighting scenes. So far I have an external light shining in through the open windows along the side of the room, a key light above and left of the figure, and a fill light to the right. All lights are emissive sources. I’m rendering each light source as a separate render (attached below), then combining as layers in PS to significantly cut down on render times.

I’d like the book in her hand to perhaps be more obvious, and I want to add some rays and dust around that window. Still thinking about colours, DOF, other props, and more light sources. At the moment, it doesn’t seem all that spooky or dreamlike. Most likely things will be chopped and changed as I discover what works/what doesn’t.

Back to tutorials and maybe some rethink! No specific questions from me as yet but suggestions and feedback are welcomed :-)

External Light_01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 624K
    Key Light_01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 912K
    Fill Light_01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 1010K
    Combined_01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 761K
    Post edited by Shortcut on
    Delirious said:

Here is my entry. I stopped the render early because I know it still needs work. Any suggests?

I like the contrast between the cold weather outside and the warm colors from the fire. She seemed a little sad, but I would rather give her a relaxed atmosphere. 

Maybe you should give her someting in her hand ( like a cup of tea or coffee ) that give the appearanc that she rearly enjoys her evening after a hard day. 

• daybird said:

*Hihi* The longer I work with DAZ, the more difficult it seems to handle.

My intention was to create a melancholic Scene, but it's not easy to find a good camera position and I have also problems with the light. Maybe I should reduct the enviroment light a little and find another position for the spotlight in the room. Another problem is the skydome texture. First I tought it was a nice idea for the whole scene, but now I have realiced, that I have nearly nothing in my content, that fits in the scene...especial for a focuspoint outside. 
    Ah and I have a big problem with the free Window prob. It seems not possible to implie a stone texture on the red wall in this freebie. (Free Bay Window by Adam Thwaites)
    Have someone a idea, what it prevents?

I think the composition is good and the isolation of the figure is well conveyed. The cat is an endearing touch, but it's easily missed if one isn't paying attention to the scene. The view outside is a problem for me, as it is extremely bright, a lot of detail is lost, and seems to wash out the interior.

• dHandle said:

Stopped this one early because I noticed an odd wrinkle at the right shoulder.  Also, it's really taxing my poor system.  I need an upgrade...

I'd love even a lower end workstation with a quadro card ... I know that feeling about outdated hardware, but, I think the best tools we have are our emotions, not the GPU etc. A strong personal emotion connected with your subject will tell the story attached to that subject more convincingly than with a subject you don’t care about and ultimately create a more engaging image. I think this is an aspect of composition that is often overlooked or not discussed much because there is no real rule to apply, nothing concrete to identify, no number to change. Every person’s experience brings something different to the table, and how you treat your subject is the most interesting thing about any particular image.

I think this image has a a nice, pensive mood to it and I'm curious where you will go with it. I would probably suggest having a stronger fill to show some detail on the figure's face. No idea about that odd wrinkle ... maybe the fill light would help with it and smooth the transition between the light and dark area?

• ShortcutShortcut Posts: 68
    edited February 2017
    dstuffle said:

Any thoughts on this scene?

There's not going to be any "Hentai Noir Snuff" films shot here tonight if she had any say about it.

I like this one a lot :-) and the whole noir look. If I could suggest ... see attached image. Sorry about editing your image, personally I would take the highlight off the foreground figure's back and head and keep it shadowy with enough detail to see what's going on while keeping the attention squarely on the other figure in that spotlight to add some creepiness to the scene by not showing everything so brightly.

9acc2181a259215b31af1cb2ecd227.jpg
    1900 x 1425 - 826K
    Post edited by Shortcut on
    Shortcut said:

My aim for this month’s challenge is to create a dark(ish) dream/nightmare scene depicting a figure who has been reading a book and is just nodding off to sleep where she sits, the book still in hand and almost ready to drop. I want the scene to have a psychological dimension, which I hope I can achieve through some interesting lighting and choice of props.

I’ve studied the suggested tutorials as well as some others I’ve found online to do with Iray and building up a scene with lights. I’m learning the ropes with lighting scenes. So far I have an external light shining in through the open windows along the side of the room, a key light above and left of the figure, and a fill light to the right. All lights are emissive sources. I’m rendering each light source as a separate render (attached below), then combining as layers in PS to significantly cut down on render times.

I’d like the book in her hand to perhaps be more obvious, and I want to add some rays and dust around that window. Still thinking about colours, DOF, other props, and more light sources. At the moment, it doesn’t seem all that spooky or dreamlike. Most likely things will be chopped and changed as I discover what works/what doesn’t.

Back to tutorials and maybe some rethink! No specific questions from me as yet but suggestions and feedback are welcomed :-)

That's a cool start so far, but I would reduct the bright white from the window, cause it turns my eyes away from her. 
    Maybe you could implie a bare tree or a moon in the window, to lessen the white. 
    The pose is great, but unfortunality the book is now on the dark side and nearly disappears in the shadow. 
    I think she should hold it in the other hand on her knees. ( yes I know, that means to do the whole pose again. :/ )
    The creature looks creepy, but I would put him nearer and let his arm reach at her.

• Delirious said:

Only thing I would suggest at the moment is changing the camera view slightly or the position of the figure in the chair so that she isn't quite so central in the image. Otherwise, the light is very beautiful, the contrast between cool colour outside and warm colour inside is lovely. Maybe you could accentuate that even more?

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    dstuffle said:

Here's my first draft for this subject.

The shadows across the arms and chest are distracting. I'd put some lights inside the helmet for the face.

• Shortcut said:
    dstuffle said:

Any thoughts on this scene?

There's not going to be any "Hentai Noir Snuff" films shot here tonight if she had any say about it.

I like this one a lot :-) and the whole noir look. If I could suggest ... see attached image. Sorry about editing your image, personally I would take the highlight off the foreground figure's back and head and keep it shadowy with enough detail to see what's going on while keeping the attention squarely on the other figure in that spotlight to add some creepiness to the scene by not showing everything so brightly.

I'll give it a shot (with the woman's pose adjustments) and post the next draft.  Fortunately this is a fairly quick (15 - 20 min) render. :)

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    edited February 2017
    Shortcut said:

I know this months Challenge is on Lighting - but I have a question that is probably gamma or other related, although I suspect lighting is the answer.

When I look at this on my Windows machine with my Acer monitor - I can see the creature and the book and the comments make sense.  When I look at it on my Powerbook Pro, it's much darker and I see only hints of these things.  This is something I've noticed in the past, but the lighting on this render is dark and subtle and really makes the difference stand out.  Now, in the past I've supported digital artists, who had specific brightness and gamma settings, and even a hardware device to measure how true the representations of pantone colours were.  Is there a calibration/reference we should be doing (not that extreme) to make sure images look like we expect on both major platforms?  Is this an issue or am I just making this up?

Oh, and my $0.02 worth - as mentioned by others, the white light in the window is distracting - maybe moonbeam with god rays to have it say "after 2am (which is when all weird stuff happens)"

Post edited by yhzmurphy on
    edited February 2017

Here's an update - actually rendered yesterday (I tend to post, then edit, then leave rendering overnight because I'm too impatient).

All this dark, moody, noir stuff has me inspired to try something different, but I'll probably still plug away at this one too, so comments and suggestions are always welcome.

candleShelf4.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 1006K
    edited February 2017

And now for something completely different...

A wall, a frame, a venetian blind.  Spotlight outside, femme fatale inside (with a weak spot with her).

noir1.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 855K
  •  

daybird said:

The texture doesn't shows up. I hope the link works http://www.most-digital-creations.com/free_poser_poses_textures_morphs_props_55.htm

I downloaded and tried this, hoping to be able to show you the anwer.  Oddly, it didn't work for me either, after trying both iRay and 3Delight.  I did see some of the texture briefly on the screen, then it went back to being just the color.  I did open the Poser Prop (it is a Poser file, not Daz, but that shouldn't matter) in Carrara and saw that the wall is a simple vertex object with no depth, more like a plane, but that shouldn't matter.   The wall and the window are surfaced separately, so in theory you should be able to apply materials to the wall separately (and indeed I was able to change it's color and trasnparency).  Clearly we're missing something...the brute force way would be to convert to straight .obj file and reapply materials that way (using Carrara, or Hexagon), but there must be a simpler way and we're missing something.  Maybe layers of materials and something is over-riding something?

• dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38
    edited February 2017

Here's the scene with (I hope) the improvements suggested.

Slim Man Spade BW 2.jpg
    1900 x 1425 - 2M
    Post edited by dstuffle on
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited February 2017
    Shortcut said:
    dHandle said:

Stopped this one early because I noticed an odd wrinkle at the right shoulder.  Also, it's really taxing my poor system.  I need an upgrade...

I think this image has a a nice, pensive mood to it and I'm curious where you will go with it. I would probably suggest having a stronger fill to show some detail on the figure's face. No idea about that odd wrinkle ... maybe the fill light would help with it and smooth the transition between the light and dark area?

Thanks Shortcut.  I did a quick and easy touch-up on that wrinkle in Photoshop.  (This is a draft, after all...)  Looks like if I'm careful next time, I may be able to make it disappear in post.  Would like to know what's up in Studio, though.  I used Iray optimized skin for G2F.  Seems this wrinkle is right on a seam between the back and arm, which is right where I put that butterfly tattoo.  I may have bungled it when I put that on.

Artistically, I like the mood as well.  I like the half-concealed facial features, the almost invisible background, and the hint of light rays coming through the window.  I, too, wonder about that pensive look on her face.  Is she looking AT someone?  Funny how things that you never intended occur to you after you have a look at the finished render...which suggests the next project.

I can't add any lights to this scene (that I know of) because in order to use the godray prop, I'm supposed to render the scene in sun and sky only.  This is my first project with godrays.  I could always put something reflective in the scene to add some fill.

Oh, and I broke down and ordered a new system tonight.  7-10 days until it arrives.  I got the Alienware Area 51 which I hope is expandable.  It comes with a GTX1080 graphics card and 16GB RAM.  I'm pretty sure I would like to run a 2nd monitor at some point, which means I would need a 2nd video card to run the 2nd monitor.

I could always rip the 550 TI out of this one...

Lenore_Tattoo2.jpg
    900 x 506 - 346K
    Post edited by dHandle on
  • Changed the lighting, and HUD glass. Also added in cheetah girl, and did some texture work.

feb2017b.png
    800 x 1040 - 1M
  • daybird said:

I was able to download it.  It's acting like it hasn't been UV mapped.  DS needs the UV map to apply a shader to it.  Otherwise, all you can do is change the colors.  I'm not great at it, but I'll take it into Blender in the morning and UV map it and see if that solves the problem.  If it does, I'll let you know.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    daybird said:

I was able to download it.  It's acting like it hasn't been UV mapped.  DS needs the UV map to apply a shader to it.  Otherwise, all you can do is change the colors.  I'm not great at it, but I'll take it into Blender in the morning and UV map it and see if that solves the problem.  If it does, I'll let you know.

I downloaded that set and tried as well, and it seems the thing is not able to take a tiling, I tried aound for a bit but the only solution I could come up is to create a plane ( about 4m square with maybe 50 dicisions, probably less could work as well) and place it right in front onf the window so that the frame becomes visible and then use the geometry editor to assign a new surface to all the polys inside the frame. Make that part invisibe ( opacity to zero in the surfaces tab) and apply the texture you want to rest  , new wall there.

Changed the lighting, and HUD glass. Also added in cheetah girl, and did some texture work.

I like what you did with the textures, but I think the light is still a bit uniform, for example the guys face aould be interesting to see, so maybe try to get a bit more  light there, make him stick out of the reddish surrounding.

dHandle said:

Its difficult to say what caused that ragged edge between light and shadow on her sholder, one thing to try would be to increase the subdivision count. Otherwise I think  as already suggested the adding of  a bit more fill light help as well.

• DeliriousDelirious Posts: 34
    edited February 2017

Here is a revision of my render after taking the advice everyone offered. In terms of lighting, my idea was to use two lights. A warm light in the fireplace and a cold light outside the window. Since these two lights alone did not illuminate the room I added a light on the left to fill the corners so they were not so dark. Then I added a spotlight pointed at the figure's face in order to creat a highlight. As it is I think I want to make the table cloth a bit brighter, but without losing the sense of evening light. Any suggestions appreciated.

Feb7.jpg
    859 x 856 - 459K
    Post edited by Delirious on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Delirious said:

Here is a revision of my render after taking the advice everyone offered. In terms of lighting, my idea was to use two lights. A warm light in the fireplace and a cold light outside the window. Since these two lights alone did not illuminate the room I added a light on the left to fill the corners so they were not so dark. Then I added a spotlight pointed at the figure's face in order to creat a highlight. As it is I think I want to make the table cloth a bit brighter, but without losing the sense of evening light. Any suggestions appreciated.

I like the addition of the wine glass to her hand.  Amazing the difference adding a simple prop can make to the story being told.  I cannot see the tablecloth but I am currently viewing your image on the darkest monitor I have access to.

The reduced lighting is really giving this a more intimate feel.

dHandle said:
    Shortcut said:
    dHandle said:

Thanks Shortcut.  I did a quick and easy touch-up on that wrinkle in Photoshop.  (This is a draft, after all...)  Looks like if I'm careful next time, I may be able to make it disappear in post.  Would like to know what's up in Studio, though.  I used Iray optimized skin for G2F.  Seems this wrinkle is right on a seam between the back and arm, which is right where I put that butterfly tattoo.  I may have bungled it when I put that on.

Artistically, I like the mood as well.  I like the half-concealed facial features, the almost invisible background, and the hint of light rays coming through the window.  I, too, wonder about that pensive look on her face.  Is she looking AT someone?  Funny how things that you never intended occur to you after you have a look at the finished render...which suggests the next project.

I can't add any lights to this scene (that I know of) because in order to use the godray prop, I'm supposed to render the scene in sun and sky only.  This is my first project with godrays.  I could always put something reflective in the scene to add some fill.

Oh, and I broke down and ordered a new system tonight.  7-10 days until it arrives.  I got the Alienware Area 51 which I hope is expandable.  It comes with a GTX1080 graphics card and 16GB RAM.  I'm pretty sure I would like to run a 2nd monitor at some point, which means I would need a 2nd video card to run the 2nd monitor.

I could always rip the 550 TI out of this one...

Is there something in the scene causing that odd shadow? 

I like the mystery being created with her face obscured by the shadows.

edited February 2017

Changed the lighting, and HUD glass. Also added in cheetah girl, and did some texture work.

I like the change in the colour scheme.  Red implies some kind of danger (at least it does in North America) and Cheetah Gril emphasizes that a team (even if it is just the 2 of them) is infiltrating this location.

I think the questions I need answered is where exactly are they?  The look like they are in a tunnel of some kind.  Where is the red light coming from?  What is the source of the light?  I do not see a string of electric lights (even if they were off) along the ceiling.  There aren't any battery powered emergency type lights. 

What are those panels along the wall just behind your lead figure? 

I like the story being told here.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    dstuffle said:

Here's the scene with (I hope) the improvements suggested.

I like the adjustment to her pose and the slightly darker lighting.  It really gives the feel that she is trapped and knows it.  And your antagonist is getting a little overconfident giving up his gun like that.

yhzmurphy said:

And now for something completely different...

A wall, a frame, a venetian blind.  Spotlight outside, femme fatale inside (with a weak spot with her).

I am really enjoying the play of light and shadow in this image. 

edited February 2017
    yhzmurphy said:

Here's an update - actually rendered yesterday (I tend to post, then edit, then leave rendering overnight because I'm too impatient).

All this dark, moody, noir stuff has me inspired to try something different, but I'll probably still plug away at this one too, so comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Is your figure in the mirror using a camera or a camcorder?  She would either need more lighting or a flash to capture the candle and flower.  If she is using a flash it would be reflected by the mirror.  This is turning into a challenging scene.   Having her stand slightly angled instead of square to the mirror might work...I'm not sure.

Here are some examples I Googled:  here, here, and lots more here.  It looks to me that the photographers that were able to take a picture of themselves in a mirror required lots of either natural or artifical light.

Perhaps doing a search on how to take a photograph using this technique might be helpful.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on