February 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Lighting

15678911»

Comments

• soc_stig said:

I thought the same thing about the sign.  A happy accident with an ominous warning attached to it.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited February 2017

Hello!  I am brand spanking new to this forum, and I have to say this is a very cool community to discover. Actually, y'all got me back in to modeling/rendering after a several year creative slump, so a big thank you for the inspiration.

"Facing the Causti-nomicon"  Daz 4.9 / Iray - no post-render work

This challenge got me thinking about ways to controll or "draw" with caustics. The sphere is volumetric (smoke) and the geometry inside is highly refractive glass. There is a WAY too hot spot-light off frame to the right pointed directly at the center. Aiming the whole thing at a white wall generates some slick textures.

Sadly, the system I am currently running Daz on does not quite have the moxie to tackle this scene in full, but I thought the nicer partials I got might be of interest., so here they be. I have one more cooking as I type which I may post if it turns out.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

That's an interesting concept!  I might have to play with that myself.  :)

Here, I have added some wildlife into the centre of the scenery, as daybird suggested. =)  And, I also decided to go ahead and dirty up the lens a bit more.

I love the additions!  Nice!  You have a great atmosphere happening here.

daybird said:

After the last disaster, I renounce a background image and limit myself to the freestuff I own.
    The picture is compiled on the fast and will hardly tear something, but without a contribution I wanted the month also not run out.

I really like this.  Sometimes, the ones we throw together at the last minute can surprise us with how good they are.  

For your other image, there are a lot of stock images on DA that are free to use.  I think Linwelly suggested that, too.  I would still try contacting the artist for the original background and see if they would allow it's use in your render.  If not, though, you might be able to find a great alternative among the free stock of city images on DA.  Usually the only requirement for those is that you post back to their page with a link so they can take a look at what you did with them and/or post a credit for the image used where you post your work.  I've used quite a bit of stock images from DA.  There are lots of quality stock images over there.  

Your image was looking great.  I hope you don't completely scrap it.  Sometimes, reworking an image can be pleasantly surprising, too.

nekyo said:

Finally got a chance play around with exposure levels - let there be light!

High School Bullying

Looks good! :)

Post edited by Chohole on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,210

Here, I have added some wildlife into the centre of the scenery, as daybird suggested. =)  And, I also decided to go ahead and dirty up the lens a bit more.

That deer added so much!

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited February 2017

Played with DOF and light. Not sure if this looks better, but  I gave the idea and advices a try. wink

SC test.jpg
    3334 x 1875 - 5M
    Post edited by daybird on
    edited February 2017
    daybird said:

Played with DOF and light. Not sure if this looks better, but  I gave the idea and advices a try. wink

I like it better. There is more focus on the character and the background is just that now, a background to set the scene.

Post edited by barbult on
  • daybird said:

love it. well done!

• geek-pixiegeek-pixie Posts: 11
    edited March 2017

And here is my second submission. As an Aries, I thought it only appropriate to do a render that was fire-themed.  Titled:  "Forged in the Fires".  Programmes used were Blender, with a bit of post work in Photoshop to bring up the colour levels.

Forged in the Fires

Forged In The Fires-b.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 756K
    Post edited by geek-pixie on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

The Challenge is now Closed.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819
    edited May 2017

Showcased Participants for the February Lighting Challenge

Most Dynamic Use of Lighting - For this showcase we looked for the person who used lighting in a way that helped tell "the story" of the image which helped set the tone or the mood, or added an additional dimension to the scene (helped convey some sort of emotion)

For those reasons we have selected geek-pixie to showcase smiley

Most Creative Shadow Play - For this Showcase we chose the person we felt applied a unique perspective or added some extra creative oomph to their image by experimenting with light cast and shadows.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was Nickashman68

Firefly - For this Showcase we took a look at who we felt best demonstrated the use of emission surfaces to add extra punch to their scene.

The New User we felt best showcased that this month was Delirious

New User - Welcome

BluetideN838 and nekyo

image  image

5f442b91a76b9bd346678807099809.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 37K
    53245ae8406b23c88e81fdbdcb23d2.jpg
    1912 x 1979 - 198K
    168aaa6bfb2531c0e306ff52b427dc.jpg
    793 x 872 - 56K
    62c8610c10f020c70259d0b98f91a2.jpg
    818 x 506 - 50K
    432ec60ff33d6e694bb5d85cbb0633.png
    1400 x 1050 - 2M
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819

Congratulations to everyone! Just like last month, almost every single participant was reconginzed by someone that was reviewing the images for the showcase. All of you (whether you have been showcased or not) are doing an amazing job! heart I have been so impressed with how far you all have come smiley

• Congratulations everyone and a great job to all those who have participated in this challenge!  And thank you all for this great honour.  It encourages me to keep working and to keep looking to put my best efforts forth.  ^_^ *hugs to everybody* 

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434

Congratulations everyone - a great challenge and wonderful images showcased!

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Congratulations to the winners and successful rendering for the coming month.laugh

• bluetidesbluetides Posts: 19

Congrats all for the recognition.  Some great renders.  

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Congrats everyone! 

• DeliriousDelirious Posts: 34

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. The contests are fun and I am learning a lot from the interactions. So many great entries, its really inspiring.

Congratulations to all. I really enjoyed seeing the impressive work done by new users. There were far more stand-out images than could be showcased in a single month. Don't be discouraged at all if your image was not on the list this time. That doesn't mean that it wasn't also really good. Come join us in the March Posing Challenge and learn some more techniques. New users are amazing us again with their skill and the level to which they challenge themselves.

• nekyonekyo Posts: 54

Congrats all! Thanks to everyone who took the time to leave feedback and advice to all the participants - it really does help motivation to get better!