Nov. 2016 New User 3D Art Contest - Materials (WIP thread)

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

This is still a work in progress.  Obviously I used the frozen shaders on the girl on the left.  The snowflakes on the human girl were done directly on the skin in photoshop (an area that I am very interested in exploring).  I want to work a bit more on the cape as well.  Not sure if I am entering this one or not, I have something else in mind as well.  Not totally happy with this but its late and I'm brain dead at the moment.

what you could try in order to get all the surfaces into one mesh is to export the icy girl as an object and reimport her again. then appy the icy shader on her. this makes it impossible to move parts of her later, so all posig need to be done in advance.

for the 3Delight users there is as well the possibility to apply the Shades of life projection shader (http://www.daz3d.com/shades-of-life-nature) on all surfaces that should be changed at once, which makes them one as well

• social_stigmasocial_stigma Posts: 107
    edited November 2016

I think I like this better than any of my other ideas so far ... same Martian, different mission.

martian 2.jpg
    579 x 938 - 322K
    Post edited by social_stigma on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited November 2016

I've been absent for a while - life can get in the way of a good render!

I've been working on the background (3Delight) and have been using Lumina Materials Library and also playing around with subsurface adjustments.  All the glass objects on the table have new surfaces, some of them using AoA's Metalized Glass Shaders.  I have the basic lighting the way I want.

Here is my wizardress (initial pose):

I completely revised her skin surfaces using AoA's Surface shader and this tutorial.  The dress is Eowyn, which I retextured using Ye Olde Cloth (just LOVE those gorgeous old fabrics!).  I added a material zone for the gold collar.  The Eowyn billowy sleeves were giving me fits to pose.  I just couldn't get them to look good, so I used some sleeve items from the MFD.  All the materials on the necklace and ring were also replaced, using Gemologica.

Mage Tower 25.jpg
    900 x 600 - 469K
    Catherine dress.jpg
    600 x 600 - 175K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    soc_stig said:

I think I like this better than any of my other ideas so far ... same Martian, different mission.

I love this character.  Great look.

I'd like to make some suggestions regarding the pose.  First of all, her legs convey the sense of movement and her stance a sense of tension. 

Unfortunately, it looks like she has impaled herself in the butt.  Having her sword behind her seems a little awkward.  I suggest that you stand in front of a mirror and assume the pose you want - use some sort of prop for the sword.  What feels natural to you?  You can use this as a basis for your pose. 

To add to that sense of tension and the story: 
    Play around with her left hand - use your own hand as a guide.  If she is ready for battle, what is the left hand doing?  Ready to grasp something?  Throw a spell?

Her expression:
    I'm not sure where her eyes are focusing.  Consider what is off camera - what is she looking at?  Is it something that she is preparing to fight?   Is she afraid?  Your current expression is one of interest, perhaps wonder.  Is that what you want?  These things tell the story behind your render.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Chatting on the TerraceI

This is the second version of my image.

I have added some shadows and managed to get some reflection on the stone floor.

BoyGirlTerraceMaterials.jpg
    800 x 494 - 269K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thanks everyone!  Will make adjustments to the skull cap, I had noticed that as well but figured I would get input on all of it before making more changes.  Hoping to to have some time to work on this some more this week.

Dracorn, glad to see you back! Love the texturing on the dress.  What is the Lumina Materials library?  If you don't mind my asking...

edited November 2016
    soc_stig said:

I really like the metal texture on her shirt (skin?) in this. Is the little bit at the bottom of her neck the collar?  You might want to change that texture or hide that piece so it is a bit more cohesive.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    sueya said:

Chatting on the TerraceI

I have added some shadows and managed to get some reflection on the stone floor.

Definitely better and the reflections on the stone floor look good.

Thanks everyone!  Will make adjustments to the skull cap, I had noticed that as well but figured I would get input on all of it before making more changes.  Hoping to to have some time to work on this some more this week.

Dracorn, glad to see you back! Love the texturing on the dress.  What is the Lumina Materials library?  If you don't mind my asking...

Lumina Materials Library by Wowie is a set of advanced 3Delight shaders based on UberSurface2 Layered Shaders.  These are general shaders for all kinds of surfaces.  I loaded them holding down the CTRL key so I could keep the original mats.  There are two sets of shader materials since it's layered, i.e. Diffuse 2, Specular 2, etc.  So I took a texture map for the golden marble and manually added it to Diffuse 2, so it's layered on top of the original texture.  I used this on the columns with the golden marble.  So far the ones I used for this render are Glossy Stone. 

http://www.daz3d.com/lumina-materials-library

You need this as well for it to work:

http://www.daz3d.com/ubersurface2-layered-shader-for-daz-studio

sueya said:

Chatting on the TerraceI

Nice reflection.  Which render engine are you using, Iray or 3Delight?

It looks like you have a single source of lighting, which makes it a little dark and results in the strange highlight on the girl's lips.  It also doesn't appear that shadows are turned on, because I don't see any on the floor.  Turn the shadows on for your primary source of light.  Add a second distant light but make sure the shadows are turned off - this creates and ambient light.  I can tell you how to do that in 3Delight but you will need someone else's advice in Iray.  Lastly, you can place a few spotlights to add additional lights to their faces.

Lastly, if you have stone shaders, add some to the pillars to give detail, especially to the pillars that are closest to the camera.  They currently appear blurred.

dracorn said:

Lumina Materials Library by Wowie is a set of advanced 3Delight shaders based on UberSurface2 Layered Shaders.  These are general shaders for all kinds of surfaces.  I loaded them holding down the CTRL key so I could keep the original mats.  There are two sets of shader materials since it's layered, i.e. Diffuse 2, Specular 2, etc.  So I took a texture map for the golden marble and manually added it to Diffuse 2, so it's layered on top of the original texture.  I used this on the columns with the golden marble.  So far the ones I used for this render are Glossy Stone. 

http://www.daz3d.com/lumina-materials-library

You need this as well for it to work:

http://www.daz3d.com/ubersurface2-layered-shader-for-daz-studio

Thank you!

• social_stigmasocial_stigma Posts: 107
    edited November 2016
    dracorn said:
    soc_stig said:

I'd like to make some suggestions regarding the pose.  First of all, her legs convey the sense of movement and her stance a sense of tension. 

Unfortunately, it looks like she has impaled herself in the butt.  Having her sword behind her seems a little awkward.  I suggest that you stand in front of a mirror and assume the pose you want - use some sort of prop for the sword.  What feels natural to you?  You can use this as a basis for your pose. 

Play around with her left hand - use your own hand as a guide.  If she is ready for battle, what is the left hand doing?  Ready to grasp something?  Throw a spell?

Her expression:
    I'm not sure where her eyes are focusing.  Consider what is off camera - what is she looking at?  Is it something that she is preparing to fight?   Is she afraid?  Your current expression is one of interest, perhaps wonder.  Is that what you want?  These things tell the story behind your render.

Dracorn: I updated the stance to disimpale her (I had not thought of that possible appearance, so thanks for making that point (pun intended)). Gave her left hand something to do and modified her expression. On the expression, this is about the best i could manage -- every attempt to make her look angry just woulnd up making her look like she was about to cry, which she most definitely is not.

Ice Dragon Art: I'm glad you like my attempt at body art/skin jewelry; i thought it was pretty clever of me and am very pleased with how it turned out (it's part of the exo suit, with various material shaders added, of course). The "collar" is actually a necklace -- she's as fancy as she is fierce. I changed the materials of it for this new version, but if it still doesn;t read as a necklace, I can jst remove it.

martian 2.1.jpg
    579 x 938 - 325K
    Post edited by social_stigma on
  • kanegskanegs Posts: 80
    Linwelly said:
    kanegs said:
    daybird said:
    kanegs said:
    kanegs said:

Almost every scene I render I make some material changes.

Is the below image within the scope of this contest? Or are these changes too subtle?
    (If you want to see what I started with, here's the product page for The Pit)

It still needs a lot more work done. I just want to be sure that I in the right neighborhood... 

You have done an amazing job on this set.  It's dark and grity and looks like a space sport in a movie.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Going with the space port suggestion, I added a ship. I also roughed up many of the textures and changed the sky to a sunset (which really changed the lighting for the upper parts).

Nice work so far, but I think, the area under the space ship is to dark and empty. Maybe you can insert some glowing primitives, to simulate drive engines. So you have an eye catcher.

You beat me to it @daybird.  I was going to suggest that.

It is looking great @kanegs.  You have some wonderful contrasts betweent he sunset light on the upper parts of the station and the light and shadow from the electric lights.

Thanks for the suggestions @daybird & @kismet2012. I think this is a step in the right direction, but it's not quite "there" yet.

Nice progress! I lieke the steam, the flashlights of that shuttle are a bit strange, too "material" if that makes sense. As well the lights of the pit are a bit sidtracting from the action right now.

But gosh that is going to be a crash if they don't stear clear of that beam overhead...;-)

Moved the ship so it doesn't look like it's crashing, and reduced the amount of steam. I also adjust the tiling on the glowing energy effect and found more surfaces to light up.

I also changed the exposure settings to brighten things up a bit.

Not completely happy, but I feel like it's getting there.

the_pit5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited November 2016

I am using 3 Delight

It looks like you have a single source of lighting, which makes it a little dark and results in the strange highlight on the girl's lips.  It also doesn't appear that shadows are turned on, because I don't see any on the floor.  Turn the shadows on for your primary source of light.  Add a second distant light but make sure the shadows are turned off - this creates and ambient light.  I can tell you how to do that in 3Delight but you will need someone else's advice in Iray.  Lastly, you can place a few spotlights to add additional lights to their faces.

I have several sources of light all of which have shadows. I softened the shadows so that they aren't too dark. I will try switching off shadows on some lights to see if it improves the image.

Lastly, if you have stone shaders, add some to the pillars to give detail, especially to the pillars that are closest to the camera.  They currently appear blurred.

They appear blurred because I added DOF to my camera. I will try changing the DOF or switch it off. Not sure if I have time to do all the suggested changes before the deadline. I may re-submit it to this thread when I have changed it just to see what you think if that is ok.

BoyGirlTerraceMaterials.jpg
    800 x 494 - 269K
    Post edited by sueya on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    soc_stig said:
    dracorn said:
    soc_stig said:

Her expression:

Dracorn: I updated the stance to disimpale her (I had not thought of that possible appearance, so thanks for making that point (pun intended)). Gave her left hand something to do and modified her expression. On the expression, this is about the best i could manage -- every attempt to make her look angry just woulnd up making her look like she was about to cry, which she most definitely is not.

Ice Dragon Art: I'm glad you like my attempt at body art/skin jewelry; i thought it was pretty clever of me and am very pleased with how it turned out (it's part of the exo suit, with various material shaders added, of course). The "collar" is actually a necklace -- she's as fancy as she is fierce. I changed the materials of it for this new version, but if it still doesn;t read as a necklace, I can jst remove it.

Getting an expression that looks good is a real challenge.  You are closer than you realize.  You could try squeezing her brows together slightly but I would focus on her lips.

Currently they are looking a little more pouty than angry.  Most people compress their lips together in a flatish line when angry or perhaps bare their teeth to show agression.  I often apply small amounts (around 20%) of different settings to get the look I want. 

• Here we are with version i. Added a new character at the table and irayed his duds.

nov2016-2i.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M

It looks like a necklace now, much better!

sueya said:

I am using 3 Delight

I have several sources of light all of which have shadows. I softened the shadows so that they aren't too dark. I will try switching off shadows on some lights to see if it improves the image.

They appear blurred because I added DOF to my camera. I will try changing the DOF or switch it off. Not sure if I have time to do all the suggested changes before the deadline. I may re-submit it to this thread when I have changed it just to see what you think if that is ok.

yes its perfectly fine to show it here again with changes. Even after the contest is over.

kanegs said:
    Linwelly said:
    kanegs said:
    daybird said:
    kanegs said:
    kanegs said:

Is the below image within the scope of this contest? Or are these changes too subtle?

It still needs a lot more work done. I just want to be sure that I in the right neighborhood... 

You have done an amazing job on this set.  It's dark and grity and looks like a space sport in a movie.

Going with the space port suggestion, I added a ship. I also roughed up many of the textures and changed the sky to a sunset (which really changed the lighting for the upper parts).

Nice work so far, but I think, the area under the space ship is to dark and empty. Maybe you can insert some glowing primitives, to simulate drive engines. So you have an eye catcher.

It is looking great @kanegs.  You have some wonderful contrasts betweent he sunset light on the upper parts of the station and the light and shadow from the electric lights.

Thanks for the suggestions @daybird & @kismet2012. I think this is a step in the right direction, but it's not quite "there" yet.

Nice progress! I lieke the steam, the flashlights of that shuttle are a bit strange, too "material" if that makes sense. As well the lights of the pit are a bit sidtracting from the action right now.

But gosh that is going to be a crash if they don't stear clear of that beam overhead...;-)

Moved the ship so it doesn't look like it's crashing, and reduced the amount of steam. I also adjust the tiling on the glowing energy effect and found more surfaces to light up.

I really like the contrast of teh upper half being red and the lower half leaning toward blue.

Here we are with version i. Added a new character at the table and irayed his duds.

This is coming along very nicely.  The lighting is looking very good

kanegs said:
    Linwelly said:
    kanegs said:
    daybird said:
    kanegs said:
    kanegs said:

I really like the contrast of teh upper half being red and the lower half leaning toward blue.

Thanks. The read is mainly a result of using a sunset HDR sky.

I got a few more surfaces to light up and added a transparency mask to the top tier fence texture. I also changed the steam and moved the ship. I also adjusted the exposure and lighting. Finally, I added some spot lights and a giant mesh light for fill-in to make thr ship pop.

I'm really happy with how this turned out.

the_pit7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Wow, I am so impressed with everyone's renders.  Feeling very inadequate.  I am still stuck on simple things.  My current problem is related to the surfaces pane.  I created an opacity mask to make a pair of shorts and a vest look like a guy had been trying to survive in wild circumstances.  Think pulp adventure cover.  The opacity mask seems to be working OK,  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tile the maps in the diffuse and bump channels without also tiling my opacity map.  I see the tiling channel, but it affects all of the maps simultaneously.  I don't see an option in the diffuse or bump channels to tile a map loaded there separately from the rest of the channels.

ee01 tiling set to 1.JPG
    1217 x 835 - 109K
    ee02 no opacity.JPG
    1007 x 916 - 94K
    ee03 tiling does all channels.JPG
    1240 x 919 - 126K
    diomede said:

Wow, I am so impressed with everyone's renders.  Feeling very inadequate.  I am still stuck on simple things.  My current problem is related to the surfaces pane.  I created an opacity mask to make a pair of shorts and a vest look like a guy had been trying to survive in wild circumstances.  Think pulp adventure cover.  The opacity mask seems to be working OK,  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tile the maps in the diffuse and bump channels without also tiling my opacity map.  I see the tiling channel, but it affects all of the maps simultaneously.  I don't see an option in the diffuse or bump channels to tile a map loaded there separately from the rest of the channels.

I can do it in Iray with the image editor, but I can't get that feature to work in 3Delight.

You could manually shrink and tile the textures in Photoshop (or GIMP) and then use the modified image files.

Thanks, Jeff.  I see an image editor in the surfaces tab for 3Delight, but changing the x and y scale is not having the results I expect.  The best solution for the moment might be to bake the tiled diffuse and bump textures in the modeling program before importing to Studio.  Or, maybe I should use a color instead of a map.

edited November 2016

I did some playing around in 3Delight.

I hope this makes sense... like I said I don't do much with 3Delight.

Post edited by kanegs on

Thank you very much.

edited November 2016

Well, here is a scene.  Genesis 2 male Garen and the Earth Elemental character in the CliffHanger set.  Default lighting.  I have managed to load a figure in Studio, fit some clothing and hair content to it, apply a preset pose and expression, load a second figure with a pose, and load a prop/set. Feeling good.   As mentioned above, the ragged look for the clothes comes from using a map file in the opacity channel.  The surfaces/material links at the beginning of the thread were very helpful, as was Jeff (and others).  I will have to retexture the Earth Elemental.  Where should I look for more information on inserting and manipulating lights in Studio?

WIP New Studio User Pulp Cover 1.jpg
    1545 x 881 - 526K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

As soon as my Daz behaves I will render off my pic for this month I hope it will be soon!!! I filed a ticket with a bug report because daz shuts down on me when I try to connect to daz shop sort of thing!!

edited November 2016
    diomede said:

Well, here is a scene.  Genesis 2 male Garen and the Earth Elemental character in the CliffHanger set.  Default lighting.  I have managed to load a figure in Studio, fit some clothing and hair content to it, apply a preset pose and expression, load a second figure with a pose, and load a prop/set. Feeling good.   As mentioned above, the ragged look for the clothes comes from using a map file in the opacity channel.  The surfaces/material links at the beginning of the thread were very helpful, as was Jeff (and others).  I will have to retexture the Earth Elemental.  Where should I look for more information on inserting and manipulating lights in Studio?

diomede said:

The February, 2016 New User Contest was about lighting. 

The January, 2016 New User Contest featured Composition.  I mention this because you have cut off part of your Earth Elemental's head and feet.  Cropping an image to that not all of a figure is visible is a compositional technique.  If I had to choose I would angle the camera upwards to keep the Elemental's head.

Good job on the ragged look to the clothing.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

As soon as my Daz behaves I will render off my pic for this month I hope it will be soon!!! I filed a ticket with a bug report because daz shuts down on me when I try to connect to daz shop sort of thing!!

Good luck Saphirewild.  DS crashing on you is very frustrating.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    diomede said:

looking good so far with the work in the opacity channel. Just as an additional information, you can make holes into clothes as well with the geometry editor though the result depends on the size of the polys on the clothes. For the Tiling I like to use this product http://www.daz3d.com/tiler-shader-for-daz-studio applied to the suface in question it gives you tiling options for every channel available, but with that is also is necessary to go though every tiling channel and adjust to what you want to have.