Nov. 2016 New User 3D Art Contest - Materials (WIP thread)

Comments

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648

What's going wrong?

Today I have try to make a few exercises with the UberBase Shader in Iray. I have created a primitive sphere and set one distance light.

The sphere on the right side have the shader, the left one is without, but both produces some iritating triangles in the render. 
    Untill today I never had such triangles. Have I unintentionally changed a setting?

Test 2.jpg
    2133 x 1600 - 155K
  • harrykimharrykim Posts: 225

ok I changed my mind , ...

Here is my entry to the competition. I was focused on the dragon and tried to make it the shader star of the scene ... without success

But maybe you want to help me a bit. Do you know the pictures of that albino python? This is what I would love to create, including this subtle transparency. 

I dont know anymore what all I have tried to get even a snake skin. No, that is not the full story. In 3Dlight I could bring some effects to work, but not in Iray

Would you please have an eye on the brightness. I think it is to bright, but am not sure if is only my monitor. Thanks for your comments

My name is Simon, I eat meat.png
    750 x 556 - 650K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,801
    daybird said:

What's going wrong?

Today I have try to make a few exercises with the UberBase Shader in Iray. I have created a primitive sphere and set one distance light.

The sphere on the right side have the shader, the left one is without, but both produces some iritating triangles in the render. 
    Untill today I never had such triangles. Have I unintentionally changed a setting?

this looks strange, did you use some kind of background? maybe try two simple planes an bottom and back, so the environment is not completely black. Is it the same when you rotate the spheres? how close are you, and what resolution do you use?

edited November 2016
    harrykim said:

ok I changed my mind , ...

Here is my entry to the competition. I was focused on the dragon and tried to make it the shader star of the scene ... without success

But maybe you want to help me a bit. Do you know the pictures of that albino python? This is what I would love to create, including this subtle transparency. 

I dont know anymore what all I have tried to get even a snake skin. No, that is not the full story. In 3Dlight I could bring some effects to work, but not in Iray

Would you please have an eye on the brightness. I think it is to bright, but am not sure if is only my monitor. Thanks for your comments

I'm no good with Iray but maybe if you make a screenshot of the settings on the dragon surface some of the more advanced in iray could offer some advice. For 3delight i would know what to tell you te get into the right direction

Post edited by Linwelly on
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

What's going wrong?

this looks strange, did you use some kind of background? maybe try two simple planes an bottom and back, so the environment is not completely black. Is it the same when you rotate the spheres? how close are you, and what resolution do you use?

Ok, now I implent in pic1 two planes and the spheres are 1m in diameter. Resolution set to W 2133, H 1600, light intensity set to 100% 

and the same Scene in Pic 2 with 3Delight and Uber surface base shader.

pic1.jpg
    2133 x 1600 - 1M
    pic2.jpg
    2133 x 1600 - 436K
    Linwelly said:
    harrykim said:

I'm no good with Iray but maybe if you make a screenshot of the settings on the dragon surface some of the more advanced in iray could offer some advice. For 3delight i would know what to tell you te get into the right direction

I went back to DS default shader in case I added something what blocks futher adjustments ( the subsurface for example ).. So what I can show is what maps I`ve used for Diffuse, Bump and Displacement.  Screenshots in this order, direction, ... ? ( sorry , my bad english ) and a warning in log file :

WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend error: Degraining filter cannot be combined with "black pixel filter"

No Idea where to find this filters to delete

The Diffuse map btw. shows a nice effect, but it seams to be MUCH to large. There are only 20 - 30 big dotts visible on the dragon body. With the horizontal offset I at least could bring it to a good distribution. Bump is doing nothing and displacement, ... well, you know what it does if it works allone.

imagesG5695SGS.jpg
    83 x 80 - 3K
    imagesG5695SGS.jpg
    83 x 80 - 3K
    Graustufenlinear.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 105K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    @Saphirewild - What's the difference between the shader mixer and the shader editor? It seems like there's a large number of ways to modify the surfaces of the models, and I can't seem to wrap my head around it all. Can I ask you to explain a little about what you learned from the tutorials on the shader mixer?

Well TFM I learned that with Shader Mixer I can change any kind of surface (clothing, objects like boxes or buldings) with what they call BRICKS that have plug-ins that connect to each other. You can use many many bricks as well to get the results you want or need to get out of your scene. Also when you apply a shader mix you will not see the results untill it is rendered out, so it is good to do a lot of spot renders while working in the Shader Mixer tab.

Here is an Intro to Shader Mixer it will help you understand it better:

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    daybird said:
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

What's going wrong?

Ok, now I implent in pic1 two planes and the spheres are 1m in diameter. Resolution set to W 2133, H 1600, light intensity set to 100% 

Basically, the only way to fix it is to increase the 'density' of the sphere.  You are hitting a known issue, with not just Iray, but almost every photorealistic raytracer.  It's known as the shadow terminator 'bug'/effect.  It happens because there isn't enough 'real' mesh to cast accurate shadows.

http://blog.irayrender.com/post/29042276644/shadow-acne-and-the-shadow-terminator

Just looking at the spheres, I can tell they are fairly low poly...up the number of both the segments and sides and it should go away.  Sometimes, but not always, converting to SubD will also help.

harrykim said:
    Linwelly said:
    harrykim said:

I went back to DS default shader in case I added something what blocks futher adjustments ( the subsurface for example ).. So what I can show is what maps I`ve used for Diffuse, Bump and Displacement.  Screenshots in this order, direction, ... ? ( sorry , my bad english ) and a warning in log file :

WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend error: Degraining filter cannot be combined with "black pixel filter"

No Idea where to find this filters to delete

The Diffuse map btw. shows a nice effect, but it seams to be MUCH to large. There are only 20 - 30 big dotts visible on the dragon body. With the horizontal offset I at least could bring it to a good distribution. Bump is doing nothing and displacement, ... well, you know what it does if it works allone.

Please post a screenshot of one of the dragon's surfaces...the main body would be great.  Go to the Surfaces tab and select the main body, take a screenshot of what will fit, then repeat to get the rest of the settings. 

Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

What's going wrong?

mjc1016 said:
    daybird said:
    Linwelly said:
    daybird said:

What's going wrong?

Basically, the only way to fix it is to increase the 'density' of the sphere.  You are hitting a known issue, with not just Iray, but almost every photorealistic raytracer.  It's known as the shadow terminator 'bug'/effect.  It happens because there isn't enough 'real' mesh to cast accurate shadows.

http://blog.irayrender.com/post/29042276644/shadow-acne-and-the-shadow-terminator

Just looking at the spheres, I can tell they are fairly low poly...up the number of both the segments and sides and it should go away.  Sometimes, but not always, converting to SubD will also help.

Thanks a lot for the answer. Now I'm calmed down. Thought my graphic card would be broken.laugh

mjc1016 said:
    harrykim said:
    Linwelly said:
    harrykim said:

Please post a screenshot of one of the dragon's surfaces...the main body would be great.  Go to the Surfaces tab and select the main body, take a screenshot of what will fit, then repeat to get the rest of the settings. 

Hi mjc1016, attached are 3 screenshots, showing the setup of the dragon body ( wings, inner mouth, claws , ... each of them do have its own)

Screenshot1 is a short render in 3Dlight. It is not yet nice but is a good point to go further. But I would like to render in Iray since all I did so far looks great  ( for my feeling wink​ )

In Screenshot 2 and 3 , which is rendered in Iray, you can see the adjustments in surface tab and its clearely visible that ther is no relief/structure anymore.

On the very top in "Tags" slice is "architectural" listed. Honestly I dont know when I did this and I cannot remove it. Meanwhile I asume that the dragon is unusable for Iray.

Btw. , a shortrender in 3Dlight takes 16 sek, in Iray I stopped it after 15 min at 6% ... unbelivable.

Screenshot (24).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Screenshot (22).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Screenshot (23).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    harrykim said:
    mjc1016 said:
    harrykim said:
    Linwelly said:
    harrykim said:

Hi mjc1016, attached are 3 screenshots, showing the setup of the dragon body ( wings, inner mouth, claws , ... each of them do have its own)

Screenshot1 is a short render in 3Dlight. It is not yet nice but is a good point to go further. But I would like to render in Iray since all I did so far looks great  ( for my feeling wink​ )

In Screenshot 2 and 3 , which is rendered in Iray, you can see the adjustments in surface tab and its clearely visible that ther is no relief/structure anymore.

On the very top in "Tags" slice is "architectural" listed. Honestly I dont know when I did this and I cannot remove it. Meanwhile I asume that the dragon is unusable for Iray.

Btw. , a shortrender in 3Dlight takes 16 sek, in Iray I stopped it after 15 min at 6% ... unbelivable.

one thing I can already tell you from these screnshots is that you need to turn the surface into an Iray surface before rendering in Iray. when you select something from your library that already has Iray surfaces the dials in the surface tab have a bluish tint some green and red. The 3delight shaders always have grey dials in the surface tab.

So what you need to do is select all surfaces that are now in 3delight in the surface tab, go to your shaders shader presets/Iray/!Iray Uber Base and apply that to all your surfaces. Now try rendering again.That should shorten the Iray render times ( probably save the file to a separate if you want to keep playing around in 3delight because the Iray shaders would then look odd in 3delight and take forever to render.)

let us see what it looks like then.

•  

Here is an Intro to Shader Mixer it will help you understand it better:

Thanks for the link. It all looks so simple in the tutorial, but when I opened up the shader mixer on my computer, I was completely lost! Lol! This tutorial was made using DAZ 3D 3, and since I'm using version 4.9, I'm assuming there have been a lot of changes.

So I'm taking a new approach: I've recreated my scene, gotten an angle I like with a camera setup I can go with - although I'm still tweaking the lighting - but I've tried to change all the surfaces to a single type. I changed all the surfaces to a simple surface base shader with a diffuse value of 75%. That 'simple' exercise taught me a lot about surfaces, and how they are constructed in Daz3D. I realized how really easy it is at the end of the exercise, but at the beginning I really struggled. 

I'm still trying to understand 'ambient' light and a few other characteristics, but I'm ok with the idea of 'diffuse', and with starting to differentiate between an Iray shader and a 3Delight shader in the 'Surfaces' tab. I know Iray uses an unbiased render engine and 3Delight uses a biased one, and I know the conceptual differences between the two. It makes sense then, that the two types of shaders would render differently according to which render engine you render with. Sorry for the tangents.

Anyways, I'm going to start building my surfaces from the bottom up. Since I have the same surface on all my objects, I think learning to differentiate between, and to manipulate the individual characteristics of my surfaces should be easier, hypothetically speaking. I'm going to attempt to stay away from Iray shaders for the time being, and stick with 3Delight for rendering this project. 

I've tried to include examples of objects with a variety different surface qualities in my scene, fur, a couple of different fabrics, a couple of different woods, a wall, the eyes of the cat, etc. For the time being I'm going to stay away from bump maps, displacement maps, and texture maps. Between finding the UV maps and the textures in Daz's file structure, and then trying to figure how to save the edited files in my own file structure, I'm saving that for a little later. 

I promise this is the last time I will drastically change the project I work on for my entry! 

Nov2016CatMat.png
    1380 x 673 - 921K
    edited November 2016

​Hi Linwelly, what can I say, ... It has worked immediately ... Thanks enlightened

​Concerning rendertime, ...uhh there seams to be allot of them in my scene  *lol*

I mean the wrong shaders  uhh

Post edited by harrykim on
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,164
    edited November 2016

Ment to post these earlier this week. Note the new camio from "The Droid, The Myth, The Legend."

nov2016-2e.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
    nov2016-2f.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • Also tried to make some tweeks to cheetah after getting some facial morphs for G3F to try and move her ears back and down some.

nov2016f.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M

Ment to post these earlier this week. Note the new camio from "The Droid, The Myth, The Legend."

For the globe and the 'projector haze' I would probably add/convert to SubD...one level would probably be enough.  That should get rid of the facetted look.

harrykim said:

​Hi Linwelly, what can I say, ... It has worked immediately ... Thanks enlightened

​Concerning rendertime, ...uhh there seams to be allot of them in my scene  *lol*

I mean the wrong shaders  uhh

glad to hear that it works, sometimes its hard to catch all those surfaces, then just take your time and go through them every single one

•  

That R2D2 model is the best thing I've seen all day. yes

• mjc1016 said:

For the globe and the 'projector haze' I would probably add/convert to SubD...one level would probably be enough.  That should get rid of the facetted look.

Found the subd settings under hidden properties, and made a couple of tries with it. personaly don't see much change.

nov2016-2g.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M

Edit > Geometry > Convert to SubD

Then in Parameters. make sure the Resolution is set to High.

• mjc1016 said:

Edit > Geometry > Convert to SubD

Then in Parameters. make sure the Resolution is set to High.

Thanks for the tip mjc1016. The only dificulty was that they are part of the tables geomitry and not seperate, but I got around that by adding another copy of the table, copying the material settings from the first, hiding the map and glow frim the new table, and doing likewise with the rest of the geomitry from the first one.

nov2016-2h.png
    1031 x 872 - 2M
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited November 2016

Wow you guys have been busy!  

One tip when converting to Iray from 3Delight is to hit the control key (might be the shift key, I have something cooking and can't check right now) when doing the conversion and choose ignore from the drop down box.  This will save the original textures. Also, if you are using 3Delight shaders and rendering in Iray, a lot of times, they just don't work so double check which render engine your particular shader is in. This is also true of Iray shaders while rendering in 3Delight. 

Edited - It is the control key

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited November 2016

This is still a work in progress.  Obviously I used the frozen shaders on the girl on the left.  The snowflakes on the human girl were done directly on the skin in photoshop (an area that I am very interested in exploring).  I want to work a bit more on the cape as well.  Not sure if I am entering this one or not, I have something else in mind as well.  Not totally happy with this but its late and I'm brain dead at the moment.

Frozen.png
    988 x 790 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 485
    Shimrian said:

daybird - What is in the tree?  A goblin?  surprise  Maybe you can add a lightsource from moonlight (as distant light with low intensity)?

I'm also having issues with lights, I don't fully understand iray and have switched back to 3Delight until I figure it out.  I'm not so happy with the how the lighting right now, but I still have 3 weeks to figure it out.  :)

I just reinstalled things on my computer with latest version after maybe 2012?  I was a beginner and took a long break and am coming back and trying to learn everything again.  :)

I've started with my project with Genensis 2, JaguarHair (with photoshop to change hair color to blue/pink) and the background (pergola, aka shaded haven) is from gen2 starter essentials.  I changed the surface (diffuse color) of the recesswall from the clay color to more grayish stone (using photoshop) and gen2 is wearing an elven dress (not edited yet).

I figure I'll add something to the WIP to get early feedback on materials, but I do hope to make lots of changes before the end of the month as I reacquaint myself with Daz Studio.

Gen2 figure with shaded haven backdrop

TheFaxMisher -  It might be nice to add short hair to your cat in the chair.  I recall doing a tutorial for fur on mil cat, but all the searches I come up with are returning a 404.  It would be nice to find it, but unfortunately, I can't find it.  I was able to find: http://www.furrythings.com/presets/ (search for DAZ Millennium Cat).  Maybe that can help?

It isn't easy to come back after some time away.  Are you putting the images you create in photoshop in the channels under surfaces, ie:  diffuse, bump, displacement, glossy, etc?

I took the image from diffuse color and made a copy and in photoshop I replaced the blond hair with gradient blend of purple to pink.  I've been working on some tutorials trying to figure out what everything does, so hopefully I'll have some updates by the end of the weekend.  The tutorials for shader mixer by carnite are really good.  :)

• social_stigmasocial_stigma Posts: 107
    edited November 2016

here's the latest.

at night 11.jpg
    569 x 938 - 547K
    Post edited by social_stigma on
  • This is still a work in progress.  Obviously I used the frozen shaders on the girl on the left.  The snowflakes on the human girl were done directly on the skin in photoshop (an area that I am very interested in exploring).  I want to work a bit more on the cape as well.  Not sure if I am entering this one or not, I have something else in mind as well.  Not totally happy with this but its late and I'm brain dead at the moment.

I like the snowflakes on the eyes -- looks like she has been crying and the frozen girl is trying to console her (with a side effect of freezing the tears), I agree the cape needs a little work -- the texture looks a little too rough, maybe try a little variation in the color too. And since this contest is about materials, maybe put an outfit on the frozen girl and see if you can use ice shaders on that too -- might look neat.

• This is still a work in progress.  Obviously I used the frozen shaders on the girl on the left.  The snowflakes on the human girl were done directly on the skin in photoshop (an area that I am very interested in exploring).  I want to work a bit more on the cape as well.  Not sure if I am entering this one or not, I have something else in mind as well.  Not totally happy with this but its late and I'm brain dead at the moment.

Not a bad start on this. The only thing that might not have been mentioned is the skullcap(?) of the ice girl's hair is distracting. maybe of you hid that part, or changed the settings to try and blind it in better.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    soc_stig said:

here's the latest.

I like your change in posing.  Now her descent into the water seems to make sense.  She is going in there after something.  Nicely done.

• soc_stig said:

here's the latest.

The water looks a little odd, and I think it has to do with the shape of the ripple. Right now it looks like the ripple a perfectly round water drop would make if it fell straight down onto the surface. But her foot isn't perfectly round, and it probably entered the water at an angle - which would add a slightly forward angled ripple. She also probably dropped her foot into the water with quite a bit of force, and by the time she would settle her weight on her front foot, I thinkk the diameter of the center ripple would be larger.

The last thing I see is that the surface of the water is both super transparent and reflective. It seems like that amount of visual detail distracts attention away from the character. I think if you reduced the waters transparency down to something like 10% by making it dirty and murky, bit kept the reflectivity high, it would reinforce the primacy of the character, and put the water more in the background where it belongs.