Sept 2016 New User Contest "Depth of Field" (WIP Thread)

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

I think I'm pretty much happy with the lighting as is, might knock down the exposure that's about it. Thoughts?

The skin on your figure is getting blown out at the moment but that might change once she has been posed.

• I think I'm pretty much happy with the lighting as is, might knock down the exposure that's about it. Thoughts?

The skin on your figure is getting blown out at the moment but that might change once she has been posed.

Yeah I've already  knocked  down  the  brightness  some and got her posed. Not  quite  sure  what  else  to do . 

The DOF is strong.  I realize you plan on adding more buildings but did you consider a different camera angle and concentrating on the Dragon and the building?  Just a suggestion.

Hm, I'll consider it - Thanks for the idea smiley. Didn't yet get to do much on it, though frown.

( And the DOF was strong by intent there - for testing it... It won't necessarily stay that way. )

...oh, and @Holloko :

As I already said, add some reflectivity to the water (in the surfaces pane)

- but, what I had forgotten: Also add some refraction to get the translucency that water should have ( though you'll have to see how much of it you want... ).

[edit:

Urgh sad - wtf have I done wrong just now??? I copied the camera, changed the viewing-angle and a few other things about the camera parameters (maybe alo render settings?) - and though the drawing-view looks completely ok, I only get black images when I render!? - *ouch*  sad !

Oh, and how could I best control the width of my image? The flames were set up somewhat hastily back when I made them, so there's a portion (at the left upper side of the house) I'd like to keep out of the picture, at least for now...   ]

[edit#2:

Here are 2 new pics - the first is an overview ( so no DOF here ) from the scene in its old state - though it somehow stopped rendering at 18% :

...and the 2nd is a save from shortly before the 'blackout' ( this time I stopped the render @ 29% myself - it simply took too long ) - focus is on the dragon and behind the flames, which look very cartoony... :

( and for those who are wondering about the brightness - there's a linear pointlight in the scene - I think I added it to resemble the moon, but since I wanted a dark scene, I'd propably better turn it off in future renders )

On both you can see the part I wanted/want to leave out - the flames at the rear ( from the dragons' view ) section of the roof are a side-effect and shouldn't really be there. The "piercing flames" on the backside of the 1st level of the building though do look good I think - though they aren't too logical...   ]

Camera settings can be tricky.  Once I get a camera angle I like I tend to lock it in position so I do not inadvertently move it.  Something I have done on many occassions.

I can think of 2 options for the flames:  1 would be to scale it to try and get rid of the flames at the back, 2 would be to try using a dformer on the flames

I have no idea why your image is going black.

You can change the width of your render in the render settings.  You can also adjust the Focal Length on the camera settings.  And there is also cropping in postwork.  Not sure this has been that helpful.

Corvyn said:

First off welcome to the newbie challenge thread Corvyn!! There is a couple of things I would like to say about you render, 1. great start, 2. with an expression like he has he should be looking like he is running either away from someone/thing or towards someone/thing. 3. His sword is looking like it is an emmisive so much light bouncing off it. 4. not sure really if it fog atop his boots or not if it is it really needs to be a bit thinner, 5. Maybe you could put a moon in the sky with a bit more light coming down on you charactor.

Again I say welcome and great starting render

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I've made some adjustments as suggested. Changed the expression so he didn't look so panicked. Found the surface of the sword was emmisive, so I turned it off. Then realized I couldn't see the sword, so I gave him a different one. Also gave him a matching shield. Got rid of the fog altogether, added a moon, and changed the lighting around. That last one was my first time trying 3-point lighting, so I made adjustments to it. 

You have a nice rim light on your character.  The buildings are doing a good job of drawing the eye to your character's head. 

sueya said:

I have two ideas for this competition. Feedback is welcome.

I am really enjoying the "I'm mad at you" pose your male character has in your first image.  I would either move his right shoulder slightly to get the fingers on his hand in contact with his left arm or adjust the fingers on the hand itself.

If it is possible maybe a slight adjustment to the lights to try and get some to fall on your character?

Your first image tells such a clear story for me I am a bit confused by your 2nd image.  I am not sure what the relationship is between the characters.  Is the male character instructing the female character?  Are they both looking at someone/something off camera?  His pose seems a bit off.  He is standing on his toes but his upper body is closed off with his hands fisted and arms crossed.

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited January 2018

del

Post edited by FrankTheTank on
  • Just about done...

dofcon3.jpg
    486 x 800 - 454K
    edited January 2018

del

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Made a bunch of changes, still need to work on the lighting and creating a muzzle flash

This is looking good, the DOF works out nicely. What I miss are shadows,I guess that comes with the lights you plan to change. The background looks like its HDRI image, to me looks out of place (the topic fits but the colurs are screaming at each other, the first background was fitting better, maybe you still could add a car in the back. The bullet casings are a littel droopy the way the come out, I'm absolutely no expert how these really come out of that kind of gun but thinking of the action movies they usually have more dynamic. Waiting to see the next version!

sueya said:

I have two ideas for this competition. Feedback is welcome.

You already got a good feedback from kismat and I agree with her. There is one additional thing I would like to point out for your "Im mad at you " render. you have a lot of empty space in your render, try to use it to symbolise the space between the two of them. I would suggest to move the guy a good deal to the left side and test how that works.

• Made a bunch of changes, still need to work on the lighting and creating a muzzle flash

The one thing that looks odd to me is the shell casings coming out of the gun and infront of the android on the ground. It seems like your shooter is behind the wall a bit and the andriod's head is just past the wall. I'm not sure how far the gun is protruding through the wall, but since the bricks are still flying, my assumption is that the barrel of the gun has not yet passed through the hole. Given that, it seems a long way for the shell casings to travel forward. Of course I might just not be seeing it correctly (to which I blame old age).

Looking forward to see how this comes along.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,165
    edited September 2016

Made a bunch of changes, still need to work on the lighting and creating a muzzle flash

Looking good friend, like Linwelly said you need shadows to tie it together. As for the muzzle flash, if that minigun is what I think it is, it should have a morph for one.

(Quick question, whered he get the cigar?)

@Linwelly if I'm right about the gun then the casings came with it.

Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    edited January 2018

del

Linwelly said:

This is looking good, the DOF works out nicely. What I miss are shadows,I guess that comes with the lights you plan to change. The background looks like its HDRI image, to me looks out of place (the topic fits but the colurs are screaming at each other, the first background was fitting better, maybe you still could add a car in the back. The bullet casings are a littel droopy the way the come out, I'm absolutely no expert how these really come out of that kind of gun but thinking of the action movies they usually have more dynamic. Waiting to see the next version!

Thanks for the comments, Linwelly, I've included a couple overall screen captures to show how I've layed out the scene. I may have cheated too much with background since you think its an HDRI, and I didn't want that. Its actually not an HDRI but just the ground from Urban Sprawl 2 and a single building from Urban Sprawl 2 which I kind of just threw back there. The colours are coming from the emissive primitives that I created for the police lights on the cars. Maybe I need to do make the lights on the cars in a different way? Or do I need to change the building or move it closer? Not sure what to do there. Or is it just the lights that from the cars that look bad? I'll have to work on this for sure. I also agree on the bullet casings looking droopy. Its a parented prop and I didn't make any changes to it except to change the texture on them with a Mec4D brass shader. So I'll have to mess with the casing projectile angle as well.

The one thing that looks odd to me is the shell casings coming out of the gun and infront of the android on the ground. It seems like your shooter is behind the wall a bit and the andriod's head is just past the wall. I'm not sure how far the gun is protruding through the wall, but since the bricks are still flying, my assumption is that the barrel of the gun has not yet passed through the hole. Given that, it seems a long way for the shell casings to travel forward. Of course I might just not be seeing it correctly (to which I blame old age).

Looking forward to see how this comes along.

@ewcarman, Good observations, as you can see in the screen capture, I cheated big time. The shooter is already in the building as the wall is blasted back. The gun is right in the androids face and the hero is stepping through the wall with shell casings falling into the room. So I took a lot of Hollywood cheats here..lol. Too many!  I might need to rework this whole scene.  If I put the hero further back where he should be, it will be less dramatic and hard to see him, but I will have to figure something out.

Looking good friend, like Linwelly said you need shadows to tie it together. As for the muzzle flash, if that minigun is what I think it is, it should have a morph for one.

(Quick question, whered he get the cigar?)

@Linwelly if I'm right about the gun then the casings came with it.

@Shinj Ikari 9th, Yes, I need to work on the lights/shadows, I'm thinking that light from a muzzle flash as well as maybe a police spot light, or helicopter spotlight could make for some interesting lighting. As far as the muzzle flash, there is an included muzzle flash with that gun, you are right, but I can't get it to show up in iray. I've tried eveything I could think of but I just can't get it to show up. I wasted an hour last night trying to make it show up. So I'm going to work on using a dragon fire effect I have and see if that will work.

The cigar is from Stan for M4.

Thanks for all the suggestions, you've all given me a lot of food for thought.

Hey, that is surprisng and interesting to see, the layout, so I'll go and revise some of my thoughts, because I think the layout is pretty good, but you need to get rid of the pinkcheeky.

As I#m a 3delight girl and Iray is not my strong point, you might need to work on the how to with what I suggest. So if this was a 3delight scene I would say make the police lights with a strong ambient and a linear point light for each colour, that way you can reduce the maximum distance the light travels, probably there is something for Iray too, so the blue and the red are not combining to a pink.

I would suggest as well to reduce the distandce of the wall to the street, related to figure sice I guess its a bit much. The will reduce the amount of parts you see from the police cars  but that works fine I guess, that american üpolicecar is something the brain will fill in with only bits of it seenwink. Closing in that distance I guess will move the backscene out of the too much DOF area and give it a bit more of a real feel.

The rest is shadows, smoke and dirtdevil

edited January 2018

del

edited January 2018

del

edited January 2018

del

• Additional adjustments made. Any thoughts?

artemis-night-5.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 1M
    edited January 2018

del

• Pretty much tweaked everything, moved everything around slightly, changed lighting, added a spotlight on the building in the background to add some depth behing the cars, added shell casings on the ground, moved the hero somewhat closer, changed his pose slightly, worked on the overhead spotlight on the hero to get some shadows on the sidewalk. I'm pretty happy with it now. I think I'm 95% there. I think I could still work on the android a bit. I think there should be some ricochet action/visual damage happening besides the electrical sparks. 

Casings look a lot better as does the lights in the background. I like this one a lot.

• Corvyn said:

Additional adjustments made. Any thoughts?

The lighter band of fog on the left (my left) keeps drawing my attention away from the main figure.  Not sure if there is any way to fix that, while I have that particular prop I have not had a chance to play with it hardly at all.

edited January 2018

del

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    edited September 2016

Here is my WIP plz tell me what you all think.

I used Daz Studio 3Delight, speed ligting with DOF on the camera, no post work at this point.

00 A Day Out For The Adams Family.png
    1500 x 927 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

I used Daz Studio 3Delight, speed ligting with DOF on the camera, no post work at this point.

Hi Saphire, I have to admit that I'm confused. I'm pretty sure you are aiming at something, but at the moment I don't get it. The size relations are throwing me off, that kid beside the dog was almost lost to me, one of those skulls is as large as that kid and the leaves on the gound have the size of the pink ladies shoe. I hope this is helpful as I find it hard to give really helpful tips when i don't get a feeling for where the jouney is supposed to go.

General tip for 3delight, always check if the shadows are turned on and on raytrace, even with lightsets wink

Pretty much tweaked everything, moved everything around slightly, changed lighting, added a spotlight on the building in the background to add some depth behing the cars, added shell casings on the ground, moved the hero somewhat closer, changed his pose slightly, worked on the overhead spotlight on the hero to get some shadows on the sidewalk. I'm pretty happy with it now. I think I'm 95% there. I think I could still work on the android a bit. I think there should be some ricochet action/visual damage happening besides the electrical sparks. 

this developed very fast laugh! Lights and effects are really getting together. Two things I have to mention, for one the lightning from the robot would make more sense to me if is was surrounding the robot, instead of going of to the sky. Try using a geometry shell and ad the lightning there (take care of the opacity/ translucency channel). The other thing I'm wondering about is the rather clear cut edge of the police car lights. They look much better now but I would expect the outlines blurred. Good work altogether!

edited January 2018

You received some great suggestions from Linwelly.  I will add some suggestions aobut posing.

The guy in the back carrying the girl, his hands are not actually touching the girl.  Try rotating his right forearm and possibly his hand to make better contact with her back.

The left arm and hand are going to be trickier.  It looks like his collar and/or shoulder may need to be brought forward and/or twisted a bit so his hand is closer to the bend in her knees.  Then you will probably need to bend his forearm a bit but that will depend on the adjustments to his collar and/or shoulder.

• FastKattFastKatt Posts: 23
    edited September 2016

Updated. @ewcarman, thank you for the great ideas!

Aftermath.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 842K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • FastKatt said:

Updated. @ewcarman, thank you for the great ideas!

You are very welcome and you've done a great job with this.

edited January 2018