Aug 2016 New User Contest "General Render" (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• ewcarman said:
    jmelvin64 said:

Serious Serious stuff going down on Level 19. Would love feedback. I'm 3 weeks into learning this.

Great image! You've got some good DOF going on here and nice composition.

If you can place a rim light to highlight her torso and right arm you will find that she pops away from the background. It would also be consistent with other lights in you scene that are highlighting the right side of her face. 

As an example, note this image I recently did ( http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/181266/ ). If you look at her arms in particular, you can see the light across the tops of her arms. That sort of effect on the underside of your characters right arm and down the right side of her torso should really help here. You should be able to place a spotlight behind her, to her right, to get the effect you want. You might also want to play with the light geometry by changing from point to rectangle to see how that affects the way the light falls on her.

I look forward to see how this turns out. Have Fun!

Thank you, all, for those suggestions. I'll do these this weekend. 

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,442
    edited August 2016

I think this is done.

comeWithMe3Flat.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 834K
    Post edited by evilded777 on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I think this is done.

That turned out really very nice!  I love this image!

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited August 2016

Hi everyone, Great work you all have done. I have decided to pull my image out of the contest as it does not match the theme of the current contest. Good luck to all of you. 

Post edited by Xangth on
  • I think this is done.

Admittedly, I didn't like it that much when you started. But this looks really good. In the originals, I wasn't sure if the "Hero" was flying away after attacking the character, or bidding him to follow. But the lighting really clears it in a way I wouldn't have anticipated.

My only complaint is the smudge by the guy's crotch. Since he's wearing all white, it really stands out. I'm not sure if it's meant to be intentional or not, if it is, it's maybe too obvious. If it's not, I think it's out of place.

• Xangth said:

Hi everyone, it's been a little while. I thought I would throw in a image render I've been working on to the mix in the current contest. I am still working on the lighting and some other aspects. 

Title: Elf Queen

Bryce 7 and Daz studio combo.

I think this has potential, and I think the lighting could really make it. I feel that there is a lot of empty space in the image though. You might fill that up with the right kind of lighting, or textures, or you could zoom in on your subject more.

• Finely found a set that my crue could be in and rendered all at once.

The headlamp is washing out the rest of the scene and the only thing that really jumps out is the stone dragon on the left. You might consider getting rid of that entirely and finding a good fill light to light the rest of the area so we can see the dragon and your crew in action. And it does look like two of your crew have decided to take a break!

Here's version b of this one.

I agree with Ice Dragon that this is an improvement. I think you should cotinue to adjust your lighting to bring more focust to your dragon (I actually didn't notice the dragon in version a the first few times I saw the image, because it was so dark). Unfortunately, you also know have the opposite problem of your characters being too dark.

Typically when we think of light phyically, we think of just one light source, like the sun, or the lamp. However, light actually bounces off of all the surfaces around us, which means that while light is strongest from you single light source (if there is such a thing), it's also being bounced off of all the walls. This is why our shadows (in the real world) are not just completely black, there is still light hitting the objects in our shadows. This is called ambient light.

Unfortunately, 3Delight does not model light physically accurate. It just makes light and shadows, there's no ray tracing. To me, it looks like you have a single light source on the dragon that you are relying on. True, there are the flames... but I don't think they are emitting light realistically, and it might be worth supplimenting them with some spot lights.

Setting up ambient light is kind of annoying, and for me was one of the biggest dissapointments to learn about when I first started studying 3D rendering. However, the Alchemy Chasm scene in Daz Studio has a really good example of an Ambient Light Setup, and I think might be worth checking out for the soft ambient glow of fire in a cavernous room.

Aaaaand, you might have already known all this. I'm just assuming we're all noobs here...

edited August 2016

I think this is done.

Admittedly, I didn't like it that much when you started. But this looks really good. In the originals, I wasn't sure if the "Hero" was flying away after attacking the character, or bidding him to follow. But the lighting really clears it in a way I wouldn't have anticipated.

My only complaint is the smudge by the guy's crotch. Since he's wearing all white, it really stands out. I'm not sure if it's meant to be intentional or not, if it is, it's maybe too obvious. If it's not, I think it's out of place.

Thanks, I'm glad you're opinion changed. I am mostly here to show the progression of the work from initial stages to where I decide its done. I'm not in the contest, I'm not really a new user; but I am always looking for ways to improve and interested in more opinion and thoughts than one gets in the galleries.

The dirt on the pants is all just masks, I haven't looked to carefully at it... just sort of threw it on as an experiment.  But you are right that one really dark smear at his crotch is distracting and once you see it, you can't un-see it. I'll look at that.

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Here is pretty much the composition of the submission I am working on this month. There's still a lot to go, but I wanted to get some feedback a little bit earlier this month, rather than procrastinate till the end like I usually do. There are a few issues with the shaders, and there's no shadows, and I have some issues with outlines not being in some places that I want them to be, and instead being in other places that I don't want them to be.

I'm having fun with this one, but I have a couple of concerns. I don't want to say what I think is not working in this image, cause I want to see if it's just me or if it's really there, so please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I love it! yes  Not without questions though.

The puddles and splashes. It might just be me missing something obvious, but what are they and where do they come from?

The little robot thingy holding the eye. It might be the lack of shadows, but I find it really hard to get a grip on where exactly it is. A closer look shows it is holding on to the grip of the dagger on the girl's thigh so I suppose that places it in the foreground with the girl. But at the same time it seems to be having a "foot" against the window of the building in the background, add to that that the trooper just below it is roughly the same size in the image as the bot and it looks like the bot is up in the air just above the trooper. (that would make it a head sized eye though)

Minor nit picking. The sky seems very empty and I find the empty grey brick wall in the upper left corner to be distracting.

• isidorn said:

Here is pretty much the composition of the submission I am working on this month. There's still a lot to go, but I wanted to get some feedback a little bit earlier this month, rather than procrastinate till the end like I usually do. There are a few issues with the shaders, and there's no shadows, and I have some issues with outlines not being in some places that I want them to be, and instead being in other places that I don't want them to be.

I'm having fun with this one, but I have a couple of concerns. I don't want to say what I think is not working in this image, cause I want to see if it's just me or if it's really there, so please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I love it! yes  Not without questions though.

The puddles and splashes. It might just be me missing something obvious, but what are they and where do they come from?

The little robot thingy holding the eye. It might be the lack of shadows, but I find it really hard to get a grip on where exactly it is. A closer look shows it is holding on to the grip of the dagger on the girl's thigh so I suppose that places it in the foreground with the girl. But at the same time it seems to be having a "foot" against the window of the building in the background, add to that that the trooper just below it is roughly the same size in the image as the bot and it looks like the bot is up in the air just above the trooper. (that would make it a head sized eye though)

Minor nit picking. The sky seems very empty and I find the empty grey brick wall in the upper left corner to be distracting.

Hi Sidon, thank you so much for the feedback. I want the image to tell the narrative, and your questions reveal that I'm not doing that yet. I'll see if I can answer your questions by making some adjustments. I would love it if you would be game to letting me know if they answer your questions when they're posted.
  • harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited August 2016

Hi there,

I would like to know if you see an option for improofement from technical perspective.

thanks for your critique

(by clicking the picture, ...do you see it fullsized ? ... since I just see a small image ... )

failed....png
    3000 x 1920 - 8M
    Post edited by harrykim on
    harrykim said:

Hi there,

I would like to know if you see an option for improofement from technical perspective.

thanks for your critique

From a technical perspective I have some issues.

• Its noisy. It needs to render longer or it needs to be brighter to clear up faster.
    • Shadows. It looks like you have one broad light and that is the only illumination. This makes for confusing shadows.  Look where the table and the floor intersect. There's nothing there. Its hard to tell where the table ends and the floor begins.
    • Depth. That one light phenomenon again. It makes for a very dramatic shadow on the wall, but its not doing anything else for your image, its flat and uninteresting, If it wasn't for the gimmick of the skin texture with the UVs (which I personally don't care for), this would be mostly uninteresting and I'd flip past it after barely perusing it.

The headlamp is washing out the rest of the scene and the only thing that really jumps out is the stone dragon on the left. You might consider getting rid of that entirely and finding a good fill light to light the rest of the area so we can see the dragon and your crew in action. And it does look like two of your crew have decided to take a break!

I agree with Ice Dragon that this is an improvement. I think you should cotinue to adjust your lighting to bring more focust to your dragon (I actually didn't notice the dragon in version a the first few times I saw the image, because it was so dark). Unfortunately, you also know have the opposite problem of your characters being too dark.

Typically when we think of light phyically, we think of just one light source, like the sun, or the lamp. However, light actually bounces off of all the surfaces around us, which means that while light is strongest from you single light source (if there is such a thing), it's also being bounced off of all the walls. This is why our shadows (in the real world) are not just completely black, there is still light hitting the objects in our shadows. This is called ambient light.

Unfortunately, 3Delight does not model light physically accurate. It just makes light and shadows, there's no ray tracing. To me, it looks like you have a single light source on the dragon that you are relying on. True, there are the flames... but I don't think they are emitting light realistically, and it might be worth supplimenting them with some spot lights.

Setting up ambient light is kind of annoying, and for me was one of the biggest dissapointments to learn about when I first started studying 3D rendering. However, the Alchemy Chasm scene in Daz Studio has a really good example of an Ambient Light Setup, and I think might be worth checking out for the soft ambient glow of fire in a cavernous room.

Aaaaand, you might have already known all this. I'm just assuming we're all noobs here...

Here's version c of this one. I've been using Iray on it, and haven't a clue when I last rendered something with 3delight.

august2016-5c.png
    850 x 300 - 444K

Here's version c of this one. I've been using Iray on it, and haven't a clue when I last rendered something with 3delight.

We'll, look at my face. There's egg all over it. ;) It took me a long time to think of lighting from a physical standpoint to the way that 3Delight does it. And now I am struggling to understand Iray. It's strange to me that you are not getting more ambient light in your scene. Maybe you are using an HDRI? but it looks like your scene lights are working... On the other hand, maybe you want the characters to be dark silhouettes. In that case I would offer the advice that others have given for other images, and at least outline them with a rim light. (btw, like your user name. I'm waiting for the copy of NGE Platinum I found on Ebay to come in the mail... Hope I didn't end up buying a bootleg (fingerscrossed))

We'll, look at my face. There's egg all over it. ;) It took me a long time to think of lighting from a physical standpoint to the way that 3Delight does it. And now I am struggling to understand Iray. It's strange to me that you are not getting more ambient light in your scene. Maybe you are using an HDRI? but it looks like your scene lights are working... On the other hand, maybe you want the characters to be dark silhouettes. In that case I would offer the advice that others have given for other images, and at least outline them with a rim light. (btw, like your user name. I'm waiting for the copy of NGE Platinum I found on Ebay to come in the mail... Hope I didn't end up buying a bootleg (fingerscrossed))

2 options if you are trying to lighten the whole scene: Check your render settings.

A) You can adjust the "Exposure Value" on the "Tone mapping" tab (lower = lighter; higher = darker). 

B) You could adjust the strength of the "Environment Intensity"  on the "Environment" tab (lower = darker; higher = brighter).

Best of luck on your perchase not being a bootleg friend.  I got my user name from a fanfic idea that I had years ago for the anime.  I was trying to bring Shinji and comp togeather with their decendants from 200 year/8 generations later. The family tradition was to have the first born in Shinji's family line to be named for their ancestor. If it was son and daughter twins, they both got the honor. Only three of the generations has had that accured including my namesakes. His twin is only the forth to carry the name Asuka. (Not sure why I went that way given how she treats Shinji in cannon.) 

2 options if you are trying to lighten the whole scene: Check your render settings.

A) You can adjust the "Exposure Value" on the "Tone mapping" tab (lower = lighter; higher = darker). 

B) You could adjust the strength of the "Environment Intensity"  on the "Environment" tab (lower = darker; higher = brighter).

Thanks for the tips. Here's version d.

august2016-5d.png
    850 x 300 - 465K
  • kanegskanegs Posts: 80

Here's something I've been playing around with in DAZ Studio. Rendered with Iray.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Jeff

dragon10.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • kanegs said:

Here's something I've been playing around with in DAZ Studio. Rendered with Iray.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Very nice. I like the use of light and shadows

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Unexpected Meeting second pass.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Welcome to the new user contest dreamfarmer. Most importantly I would advice to get some more light around to the front, so we can see more of what is going on. If you use 3dlight as a renderer I would suggest an UE2 light, which keeps the main light sources dominant but lightens up the shadows a little ( for Iray someone else should be able to give advice). Probably it would be good if you think about why she is sitting there. The pose right now looks a little random to me but that might resolve whith a better view on her.

kanegs said:

Thanks,
    Jeff

I like how you made an often used setting and scene to something new with the lights you used and the camera angle is great as well. Small critique would be that the guy is not really facing the dragon ( his head is turned towrds it but the rest of the body is not, boad posture to attack wink)

harrykim said:

Hi there,

thanks for your critique

(by clicking the picture, ...do you see it fullsized ? ... since I just see a small image ... )

The only thing that makes me wonder is that the table seems to be "floating " on the blue ground. I have the impression, that there is a tad of shadow falling directly behind it but the impresseion stays.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Linwelly said:
    kanegs said:

Thanks,
    Jeff

I like how you made an often used setting and scene to something new with the lights you used and the camera angle is great as well. Small critique would be that the guy is not really facing the dragon ( his head is turned towrds it but the rest of the body is not, boad posture to attack wink)

Yeah, I agree with Linwelly.  My sons' sensei is constantly telling them that their belly button needs to be facing what they are attacking.  Your character's belly button is fighting someone off to the left!  That being said, I love what you did with the lighting.  Great scene!

Linwelly said:

Thanls for the suggestion. I made some rotation / translation adjustments and made another render.

dragon12.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

Yeah, I agree with Linwelly.  My sons' sensei is constantly telling them that their belly button needs to be facing what they are attacking.  Your character's belly button is fighting someone off to the left!  That being said, I love what you did with the lighting.  Great scene!

Thanks for the suggestion. I did adjust the angle so his lead foot is pointing at the dragon (his belly button is still off to the side).

edited August 2016
    kanegs said:
    Linwelly said:

Thanls for the suggestion. I made some rotation / translation adjustments and made another render.

I like what you have going there. I just got one thing to nit pick about and that's the lower right corner of the image. The brightly lit alcove in the wall there draws my eyes. My suggestion would be to either darken that area somehow, or perhaps crop the image to remove it completely.

Post edited by isidorn on
    edited August 2016

And this is my latest (but hopefully not last, as there's some tweaks I still want to do) iteration of my WIP.

I learned some new things about how to move an HDRI around, so that's always good. smiley

NU1608a.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 512K
    Post edited by isidorn on
    Linwelly said:
    I like what you have going there. I just got one thing to nit pick about and that's the lower right corner of the image. The brightly lit alcove in the wall there draws my eyes. My suggestion would be to either darken that area somehow, or perhaps crop the image to remove it completely.

Thanks for the suggestion. I made some more adjustments and started rendering.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow lots of good stuff going on here!  Was in bed with the flu for almost a week so I am probably not going to get my second one done in time.  But I will enter the first one as is and hope for the best.