Aug 2016 New User Contest "General Render" (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

This is the beginnings of a backdrop for my submission this month. Really, really rough draft.

My biggest problem with it is that there's no atmospheric depth to it. Unfortunately, I am using ToonyCam Pro so I can get those outlines, which means I can't use an atmospheric camera. I didn't see any other recommendations, though. Would appreciate any direction.

I have used the smoke props in this product to create fog.  Unfortunately it is not on sale at the moment.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Linwelly said:
    dracorn said:

I just had so much fun with the Melidae Crown that I had to create this render.  I had been working on a Faerie Queen who's appearance changes with the seasons, and I had in mind a crown of butterflies but wasn't sure how to do it.  So I snagged Melidae Crown immediately.

I made some modifications to conform to my mental image of a summer crown - with more green leaves and bunches of grapes. 

It's too bad the portrait contest is over. 

I wanted to see what people thought.

I was very tempted by that crown as well but I put if off for now. But I like the thought of making it a summer elf/ goddess version.

What irritated me most is the lights in this one. The light on the lady does not correspond with the backgound and the butterflies in the front don't seem to belong to the rest of the image.

You might as well want to think about the pose and expression of the lady. They don't tell a story to me and I don't understand what her expression has to do with the pose nor with the environment. Small nitpick at the end, the trees / bushes in the back are all leafless, which seems strange on a summer render

Yeah, it was a background that I picked up, but you are right about the trees.  Maybe I should make my own background in Photoshop.  Sometimes shortcuts don't work out as well as we hoped.  I wasn't particularly happy with the lighting, either.  There is a strange golden glow on her face that I wasn't able to remove. 

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited August 2016
    dracorn said:

I just had so much fun with the Melidae Crown that I had to create this render.  I had been working on a Faerie Queen who's appearance changes with the seasons, and I had in mind a crown of butterflies but wasn't sure how to do it.  So I snagged Melidae Crown immediately.

I made some modifications to conform to my mental image of a summer crown - with more green leaves and bunches of grapes. 

It's too bad the portrait contest is over. 

I wanted to see what people thought.

with your picture one can take a break, just to discover what all is to see. From your text I understand that the women is the star in the scene, so I find the crown too dominat. Has it bones ? And just an idea. I asume that exchanging top and dress shader would give her self esteem

Post edited by harrykim on
    edited August 2016
    Linwelly said:
    harrykim said:
    Linwelly said:

Linwelly said:

was it intentional that the skin of your guy doesn't fit the UV map? Other than that I like the idea of working with light and shadow and that guy half emerged into the green wall has a lot of potential. in the other render the shadows are not as prominent to make an interesting part of the render as the environment has rather dark colours.

Hi Linwelly, thanks for your feedback

was that skin intentional ? No it wasnt , but when I tried to find out which of that load of adustment oportunity shows me something interesting I found the Horizontal Tiles.  I was happy with this effect from the beginning and still I am. You mean "... failed" does not work because of the dark environment. So, should I focus my attention more to a less stiled background ?

I wouldnt say less stiled, I get what you want to aim for and the concept is working as you can see from the other comments. I was thinking that your shadows do play an important part and to make them more prominent I would choose a less dark colour for the back wall and the floor. Not really bright but a step or two lighter but still muted.

Well,  in one point I am totaly with you, brighten light looks like " NEXT " ... a intersting theme too, but not what I wanted to show. It is intersting to discuss this with you, because you prefered "I am" .

(Sorry Linwelly, this part of my prvious text I had to edit, because it was nonsense )

Attached are 2 render wich I made after I lost my Keylight and after I did some camera setups. This brought me in big truble. However it is not the same distance, I think this is what you wanted to see.

Btw. If there is a way and you woukd like too, I would like to talk outside the contest about " I am". As like I have already said, I like it very much too

...failed2.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 681K
    ...failed3.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 615K
    edited August 2016

t

• Finely found a set that my crue could be in and rendered all at once.

august2016-5a.png
    1700 x 600 - 1M
  • zax797zax797 Posts: 15
    edited August 2016

This was just a goofball render, trying to get the Futurama "Flight Crew" in one shot.

futurama crew.jpg
    1000 x 1618 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited August 2016

Finely found a set that my crue could be in and rendered all at once.

Cool light idea, only that it went to fast to dark. It`s hard to recognize the dragon   And you as the leader are responsible for the working morale. Take a look at the 2 at right hand sidewink

• zax797 said:

This was just a goofball render, trying to get the Futurama "Flight Crew" in one shot.

Nice render. One question though, were the heck are they?

• harrykim said:

Cool light idea, only that it went much to fast to darkness. I canot recognize what the enemy is ( a dragon ? )  And you as the leader are responsible for the working morale. Take a look at the 2 at right hand sidewink

I used the camera's headlight on this one. It was feeling like it was too dark otherwise. And it is a dragon that they are fighting.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    zax797 said:

what a great start to this amazing version of the cartoon comic show Futurerama!!!!

• DefenistratDefenistrat Posts: 68
    edited August 2016

Linwelly said:

This is the beginnings of a backdrop for my submission this month. Really, really rough draft.

My biggest problem with it is that there's no atmospheric depth to it. Unfortunately, I am using ToonyCam Pro so I can get those outlines, which means I can't use an atmospheric camera. I didn't see any other recommendations, though. Would appreciate any direction.

what I like to do is use some planes set vertically to the camera in different distances with a greyish colourvalues in the opacity channel (I have one made with GIMP with washed out greys) and tune the opacity to different intensities. That gives me some atmosphere without increasing render times. Important is that your planes don't cut through the buildings at places the camera sees them as that results in ugly lines.

I have used the smoke props in this product to create fog.  Unfortunately it is not on sale at the moment.

Thanks for these suggestions. I was planning on trying these out tonight. Unfortunately I decided to be an "askhole" (what my wife calls someone who asks for advice and then ignores it) and had an idea to try something different.

So I wound up buying the Atmospheric Camera anyway so I could create a depth map. There are a few transparent objects in the scene that prevent me from creating a depth camera from the shader mixer, so I grabbed this so I could use the fog camera to create a depth map (although in retrospect, I wonder if I could have created one in shader mixer :-/ ). Anyway, I did a normal render, and a depth render. In GIMP I created a new layer that was the color I wanted my sky to be, and added the inverted depth map as a layer mask on the sky color layer. Then adjusted opacity on the sky color layer till I was happy with it. I left the atmosphere a little sublte, but I think looks a lot less flat with just a little bit of the sky color overlay *said as a statement with just a small amount of inflection at the end to suggest that I'm looking for validation*.

funAndGamesDepth.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Defenistrat on

I think this will help loads of peeps, I just found it on youtube

• Had a devil of a time with lighting (as I do with any scene) So using a mega cheat of speedlights. Hopefully its working.

I still have a few bits to sort out. The outfits are causing a bit of grief. Infamous and Steampunk lady, both for V4 are having a bit of a grump being parented to G2.

Both skins are V4s, so is the hair. Cannot morph G2 as i haven't got the body or head morphs for her.

Have attached the version I have done some postwork on just to hide the outfit grumps.

01_its all fun until_c_web.jpg
    750 x 562 - 104K
    edited August 2016
    rhidragon said:

Had a devil of a time with lighting (as I do with any scene) So using a mega cheat of speedlights. Hopefully its working.

I still have a few bits to sort out. The outfits are causing a bit of grief. Infamous and Steampunk lady, both for V4 are having a bit of a grump being parented to G2.

Both skins are V4s, so is the hair. Cannot morph G2 as i haven't got the body or head morphs for her.

Have attached the version I have done some postwork on just to hide the outfit grumps.

Well I think it is a good start to this amazing render for sure but I will leave it up to the pro's to let you know about the lighting and that stuff.

EDITED TO LET YOU KNOW: There are tons of free morphs on shareCG and else where there is a couple down in the freebie section of the forum you just have to dig around and you will find them.

Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • social_stigmasocial_stigma Posts: 107
    edited August 2016

Not sure I'll have time to finish this, or the other one, before the end of the month, but here's another thought I had.

aye foreign eye.jpg
    700 x 420 - 189K
    Post edited by social_stigma on
    edited August 2016

Here is going to be my second entry I think for the challenge, Rendered in Daz Studio, 3Delight, using speed lights. First one used regular camera then second used the camera that came with the speed lights not sure if there is enough DOF on that second one for my liking. Any and all comments are welcome, I think I need lots of help with this one.

Praying for Rain closer.png
    1500 x 927 - 2M
    Praying for Rain.png
    1500 x 927 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • rhidragon said:

Had a devil of a time with lighting (as I do with any scene) So using a mega cheat of speedlights. Hopefully its working.

Well I think it is a good start to this amazing render for sure but I will leave it up to the pro's to let you know about the lighting and that stuff.

EDITED TO LET YOU KNOW: There are tons of free morphs on shareCG and else where there is a couple down in the freebie section of the forum you just have to dig around and you will find them.

Thank you. Haven't been well enough to play around with it today. Will have another go tomorrow. I will also look on shareCG for those morphs.

Liking your render with the speedlights too. You can adjust the DOF in the camera settings. I haven't played around with that much yet.

• Here is going to be my second entry I think for the challenge, Rendered in Daz Studio, 3Delight, using speed lights. First one used regular camera then second used the camera that came with the speed lights not sure if there is enough DOF on that second one for my liking. Any and all comments are welcome, I think I need lots of help with this one.

The main issue I see, is that the tree in the right foreground is casting a shadow on the characters, puttin ghtem in the dark. You can try to move the tree out of the way, or adjust the angle/rotation of the lights.

I like the tighter crop because the black windows in the wider shot draw my attention away from the characters.

Here is going to be my second entry I think for the challenge, Rendered in Daz Studio, 3Delight, using speed lights. First one used regular camera then second used the camera that came with the speed lights not sure if there is enough DOF on that second one for my liking. Any and all comments are welcome, I think I need lots of help with this one.

The main issue I see, is that the tree in the right foreground is casting a shadow on the characters, puttin ghtem in the dark. You can try to move the tree out of the way, or adjust the angle/rotation of the lights.

I like the tighter crop because the black windows in the wider shot draw my attention away from the characters.

I think you are right about the tree and the windows I am going to try and fix those tonight once I get home that is :D

• Here's yet another idea for this month. I might try to go back to the first one and see of lowering the resolution will help with the memory problem I was having.

august2016-7a.png
    800 x 640 - 756K
  • tikiman-3dtikiman-3d Posts: 34
    edited August 2016

Serious Serious stuff going down on Level 19. Would love feedback. I'm 3 weeks into learning this.

13680058_1208469392530605_2678368830856450093_o.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 355K
  • social_stigmasocial_stigma Posts: 107
    edited August 2016
    jmelvin64 said:

Serious Serious stuff going down on Level 19. Would love feedback. I'm 3 weeks into learning this.

Really impressive for 3 weeks in! My only suggestion is to tweak the lights a bit (or add 1 or 2 more in the right places) to bring out some definition in the sweatshirt and help separate it from the black area in the background.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    jmelvin64 said:

I really like this one as well. Her fingernails are too clean though they stand out against all the blood on her hands.  You may have to do that in post work though.  Nice use of depth of field.

The headlamp is washing out the rest of the scene and the only thing that really jumps out is the stone dragon on the left. You might consider getting rid of that entirely and finding a good fill light to light the rest of the area so we can see the dragon and your crew in action. And it does look like two of your crew have decided to take a break!

• Finely found a set that my crue could be in and rendered all at once.

The headlamp is washing out the rest of the scene and the only thing that really jumps out is the stone dragon on the left. You might consider getting rid of that entirely and finding a good fill light to light the rest of the area so we can see the dragon and your crew in action. And it does look like two of your crew have decided to take a break!

Here's version b of this one.

august2016-5b.png
    850 x 300 - 425K
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    jmelvin64 said:

Great image! You've got some good DOF going on here and nice composition.

If you can place a rim light to highlight her torso and right arm you will find that she pops away from the background. It would also be consistent with other lights in you scene that are highlighting the right side of her face. 

As an example, note this image I recently did ( http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/181266/ ). If you look at her arms in particular, you can see the light across the tops of her arms. That sort of effect on the underside of your characters right arm and down the right side of her torso should really help here. You should be able to place a spotlight behind her, to her right, to get the effect you want. You might also want to play with the light geometry by changing from point to rectangle to see how that affects the way the light falls on her.

I look forward to see how this turns out. Have Fun!

Here's version b of this one.

Better!

• DefenistratDefenistrat Posts: 68
    edited August 2016

Here is pretty much the composition of the submission I am working on this month. There's still a lot to go, but I wanted to get some feedback a little bit earlier this month, rather than procrastinate till the end like I usually do. There are a few issues with the shaders, and there's no shadows, and I have some issues with outlines not being in some places that I want them to be, and instead being in other places that I don't want them to be.

I'm having fun with this one, but I have a couple of concerns. I don't want to say what I think is not working in this image, cause I want to see if it's just me or if it's really there, so please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

funAndGames2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Overall I like this.  However, the one thing that seems to stand out is the lack of shadows.  Even in comics, there is some type of texturing to indicate shadows and it usually helps to give the comic a little more depth.  I don't see any kind of shadows in your image and it seems a little bit flat.  I like the composition, the camera angle, and the coloring.  Overall, I think it's a great start.  Let me say that I am definitely not and NPR expert.  I'm just to explore the whole NPR world so it's possible I'm totally off base.  The lack of shadows is just what stands out to me, especially where the big things like buildings are concerned.

Boy you guys have been busy in here.  I got distracted by other projects and haven't even had a chance to keep up with the thread.