Aug 2016 New User Contest "General Render" (WIP-THREAD)

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    isidorn said:

This is what I have in progress. Focusing more on the "It's all fun and games" part than the "until someone loses an eye" part. The only lights right now are from the beach HDRI and I don't think it's doing a particulary good job here, so I need to work on that.

Isi there is something odd going on with the skin of the George in the left corner. The skin on his arms seem to be a different than the rest of the body. Beyond that, I agree with Kismet.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

Here is yet another set of charactors right outta the box HIM and HER going to be adding them to the scene as well once it is totally finished.

I like that clay figure feeling (or Play doe) they got to themselves. Would be great fun to go and use some d-formers like she is twisting his arm or something of that sort

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653
    Linwelly said:

Here is yet another set of charactors right outta the box HIM and HER going to be adding them to the scene as well once it is totally finished.

I like that clay figure feeling (or Play doe) they got to themselves. Would be great fun to go and use some d-formers like she is twisting his arm or something of that sort

That is a great idea Linwelly I think I will do that once I get them into the scene I am still working on!!! Thanks for the input Linwelly

• SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42
    edited August 2016

Got the rigging in Blender done. The face, except for the jaw and eyes/eyelids, isn't rigged. It's just bare deform bones. I'm not really decent with expressions, and consequently it's going to be difficult to get a decent expression using just the bare bones, but since I don't really understand expressions, I don't have the first clue how to build a decent rig to control it all.

Ultimately it's about the final render, and I've got a really decent idea. Just hope I can pull it off. :)

Char_7-7.jpg
    800 x 800 - 137K
    Post edited by SkpFX on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited August 2016

This time I am going with the theme: "It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye," with an emphasis on humor.

Here's my line up of characters.  The first three faces are out of the box for Dwarf Creator for G2M.  The rest have been modified.  I modified all the bodies a little and used a combination of my G2M and G1M skin textures.  I have to say, these little guys are fun to work with - love their faces.

Since their heads are non-standard shape, it took some serious adjustments to fit the hair onto some of them.  Kit-bashing was especially hard, since they are about 1/3 the size of G2M, shirts and pants would litterally "accordian."  Trying to fit the pirate shoulder and sword belt gave me fits.  It is still colliding on the Captain's side - but I won't show you that side. 

My thanks to AllanArt for his freebie dwarf hat which I used on the guy with the red plaid vest - and to Sickleyield for Hat & Hair Helper to get the hair to fit under it.

...My husband says that the Captain looks like a caricature of Walter Mondale.

Dwarf Captain.jpg
    700 x 700 - 91K
    Dwarf Worker 01.jpg
    700 x 700 - 90K
    Dwarf Worker 02.jpg
    700 x 700 - 97K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    edited August 2016

And here's the other three:

Oh, and before you ask me, "why aren't there seven dwarves?" ... well, actually there are, but the seventh guy will have his face hidden so I didn't bother to modifiy it or post him here.

Dwarf Worker 03.jpg
    700 x 700 - 83K
    Dwarf Worker 04.jpg
    700 x 700 - 93K
    Dwarf Worker 05.jpg
    700 x 700 - 88K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I've got to buy both those dwarf products. I wish there was a Genesis 3 version. And a dwarfette version with Trachten style clothing.

I've got to buy both those dwarf products. I wish there was a Genesis 3 version. And a dwarfette version with Trachten style clothing.

Your answer: GenX2. The morphs are individual parts of the face which gives more options than the presets. You will have to kitbash the clothes, but I would try the peasant dress,tavern maid and others like it.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    dracorn said:

Your answer: GenX2. The morphs are individual parts of the face which gives more options than the presets. You will have to kitbash the clothes, but I would try the peasant dress,tavern maid and others like it.

Thanks for that. I will buy the GenX2

•  

Here's my latest pair of characters,and I think that my crew is finished. Now to figure out where they are and "Whiskee Tango Foxtrot" they've gotten themselves into.

august2016-character-idea3.png
    533 x 864 - 353K
    august2016-character-idea4.png
    533 x 864 - 314K
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited August 2016
    Linwelly said:
    isidorn said:

This is what I have in progress. Focusing more on the "It's all fun and games" part than the "until someone loses an eye" part. The only lights right now are from the beach HDRI and I don't think it's doing a particulary good job here, so I need to work on that.

Isi there is something odd going on with the skin of the George in the left corner. The skin on his arms seem to be a different than the rest of the body. Beyond that, I agree with Kismet.

Oops! I hadn't noticed that. It's on both his arms, although only one is seen in the render. Not sure what went wrong there. The character is btw Ivan 7 with some extra weight added. Probably the result of too many summer BBQ parties with his buddy George. Anyway, I re-applied Ivan's skin to him and it solved the issue. I've also added some lights on the guys and changed George's hand poses. This is what I got atm

The ladies are invisible as my poor computer can't handle four characters at the same time and will make DS crash, so I'm rendering two characters at a time and then put the two renders together.

Also attaching the render showing Ivan's two red arms, if anyone is interested.

NU0816left2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    NU0816Arms.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by isidorn on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Ivan looks much better, Isidorn!  Uh, somehow you lost the girls.  It was actually kind of funny to see bikinis floating in midair, but I'm not sure that was quite what you had in mind.  :)  Was that to save resources or just one of those things that happens?  I know it has happened to me more times than I care to count.

edited August 2016
    To avoid the clothes and hair floating when you hide a character: put them into a group. Select the character and everything he/she is wearing or holding, then Create, Group, and name it different than your character. Then hide the group and everything disappears at once. Open up the group to get to your character.

I do that for groups of objects too. It really cleans up your scene tab.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    dracorn said:
    To avoid the clothes and hair floating when you hide a character: put them into a group. Select the character and everything he/she is wearing or holding, then Create, Group, and name it different than your character. Then hide the group and everything disappears at once. Open up the group to get to your character.

And I just learned something new....

dracorn said:

And I just learned something new....

I do that on a regular basis cause I am usually working with lots in a scene so have to group things together and close out the group to speed up render times

dracorn said:

I just learned how to do that last month for a render.  I was watching a Sickleyield video and she showed how to do that.  I hadn't come across that technique before.  It came in really handy for hiding things when I needed it.

edited August 2016

Here is the big brother to Gerald, Darel. This is my first go at LAMH so plz be gentle with me smiles, but all comments are very welcome at this point.

00 A Big Brother Darel Dwarf.png
    800 x 1294 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
    dracorn said:

Thanks for that. I will buy the GenX2

Make sure you get the Genesis 2 and Genesis 3 add-ons.
  • Thought that I had my full crew, but I guess I was wrong.

august2016-character-idea5.png
    533 x 864 - 220K
    Cheetah Girl is back! So what's in store for our intrepid crew?

So where did you get the cat face?

• dracorn said:
    Cheetah Girl is back! So what's in store for our intrepid crew?

So where did you get the cat face?

http://www.daz3d.com/cheetah-girl-for-genesis-3-female

dracorn said:

That's one of those good tips that I never manage to remember to use. A word of caution though, adding things to the group after it has been created tend to mess up positioning as it places every addition to it on the group's center point. So if you for example want to add a guitar to a figure that you have in a group, remember to first add the guitar to the group before starting to position it to fit the figure's pose. Unless, of course, there's a trick to adding things to a group without it changing position. Anyone knows?

@Knittingmommy It says under the image why the girls are missing. wink

Lighting is causing me more trouble than I expected, although I should have learned and expected that because lighting always causes me trouble! So I'm currently back to the drawing table regarding the lights.

• I don't know what it is, but I've put my characters into a sceen and set the system to render, but my memery maxes out and the program crashes. I've just rebooted the system and haven't tried again.

I don't know what it is, but I've put my characters into a sceen and set the system to render, but my memery maxes out and the program crashes. I've just rebooted the system and haven't tried again.

That's what happens with my beach scene too, which is why I'm splitting it up in two. Try rendering the scene with just 2 or 3 characters, or perhaps even just 1 if you have lots of props in it.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,442

I don't know what it is, but I've put my characters into a sceen and set the system to render, but my memery maxes out and the program crashes. I've just rebooted the system and haven't tried again.

Which renderer?

isidorn said:
    dracorn said:

That's one of those good tips that I never manage to remember to use. A word of caution though, adding things to the group after it has been created tend to mess up positioning as it places every addition to it on the group's center point. So if you for example want to add a guitar to a figure that you have in a group, remember to first add the guitar to the group before starting to position it to fit the figure's pose. Unless, of course, there's a trick to adding things to a group without it changing position. Anyone knows?

Lighting is causing me more trouble than I expected, although I should have learned and expected that because lighting always causes me trouble! So I'm currently back to the drawing table regarding the lights.

I know what you mean about adding to a group after it has been created. Usually I'm trying to clean up a busy scene tab, so I will create a new group, i.e., Tree Group 2.

I like Your suggestion: "So if you for example want to add a guitar to a figure that you have in a group, remember to first add the guitar to the group before starting to position it to fit the figure's pose." If I'm thinking, I can add props, lights, etc. to a group before positioning them. I didn't know that - thank you. It just takes planning on my part.

isidorn said:
    dracorn said:

blush  Yeah, that's what I get for reading anything at almost 3 am!  I completely missed the text at the bottom of the page!  But, I figured it was a resource things as I know exactly how much RAM you have. It was kind of funny, though, seeing floating swimsuits.  Still, I can't believe I totally missed an entire section of text!

• SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42

@isidorn If you haven't already go through your objects and ensure that they aren't set to a subdivision level higher than what you need. For each subdivision level you remove, it simplifies the object by a factor of 4.

isidorn said:
    dracorn said:

blush  Yeah, that's what I get for reading anything at almost 3 am!  I completely missed the text at the bottom of the page!  But, I figured it was a resource things as I know exactly how much RAM you have. It was kind of funny, though, seeing floating swimsuits.  Still, I can't believe I totally missed an entire section of text!

And, apparently I can't read timestamps because that was at almost 3 PM!  So, yeah, no excuse for me concerning that either!  I'm such a ditz at times!

•  

Had to do this as two renders, one of the set, and one of the crew. Was a pain in the rear trying to create the mask when I brought things togeather though. I also haven't a clue about how to handle the crew's shadows thou.

august2016a.jpg
    1023 x 767 - 873K