May 2016 New User 3D Art Contest "Action & Props" - WIP

Comments

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited May 2016

I have finished and posted my picture in the entries thread. I hope I did everything good. 

Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,165

ment to post this yesterday, but here's version h. doesn't look like i'll be able to do anything with the cheetah's ears as is, and i know nadda about making dformers.

may2016h.jpg
    1031 x 872 - 760K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

I have finished and posted my picture in the entries thread. I hope I did everything good. 

Sorry to come to you so late, I like you image, there are a lot of nice details, what I miss a little is the action. Te figures are both stable in their position and don't get into a lot of movement. I know its a tough thing tomanage, as it works best ignoring some of the ususally basic ideas to compose a picture.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited May 2016

@Holloko  I really like the Greek spearman image.  It's really turning out nicely.

Shinji - Even without the ears, you've done a very nice job.  You should be proud at how far you've come along since your first image.  This one has really turned out great.

@tcmehan I really like the valleyball scene.  It shows the action nicely and you did a great thing with that camera angle and DOF.

Sorry if I've missed anyone.  I'm not always the best when it comes to critiquing or giving advice!

I added the free ice rink that I found and converted to play nice in DS and ran a test render.  I think I have the materials pretty much laid out well with Iray shaders.  I popped in my hockey players with their previous lighting.  First thing I'll need to do is add way more lighting since you can't see the hockey rink that well.  I still have to work on posing more and I'm still working on changing the textures of the uniforms.  So, I still have a bit of work ahead of me.  But, at least the rink is done and now it is just fine tuning the other stuff.

HockeyPlayers02.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 446K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

@Holloko  I really like the Greek spearman image.  It's really turning out nicely.

Shinji - Even without the ears, you've done a very nice job.  You should be proud at how far you've come along since your first image.  This one has really turned out great.

@tcmehan I really like the valleyball scene.  It shows the action nicely and you did a great thing with that camera angle and DOF.

Sorry if I've missed anyone.  I'm not always the best when it comes to critiquing or giving advice!

I added the free ice rink that I found and converted to play nice in DS and ran a test render.  I think I have the materials pretty much laid out well with Iray shaders.  I popped in my hockey players with their previous lighting.  First thing I'll need to do is add way more lighting since you can't see the hockey rink that well.  I still have to work on posing more and I'm still working on changing the textures of the uniforms.  So, I still have a bit of work ahead of me.  But, at least the rink is done and now it is just fine tuning the other stuff.

Hiya Knitting not sure if you have seen my posting on posing and such but going to post it again here for you!!

@bungle  I like what you did here.  There is still a little bit blurred distortion around the edges for a kind of modified DOF effect and yet the girls' faces are in focus now.  I like the sharpness of the image in the floor, too.

Shinji - I like the expended shells on the ground.  That's kind of a nice touch.  Not sure if that type of gun would do that, but then it is Sci Fi so anything is possible.  I have to ask if that missile is headed straight at her or if it will miss and it's just the camera angle.  I love her expression, though.  It's like she sees it coming, but she isn't giving up.  I would probably jump out of the way.  But, then I'm a weak, puny human!  I do like what I'm seeing.  You have really come a long way since your first image way back when!

So, I finally got my act together since I finally figured out what I wanted to do.  Action isn't exactly my thing.  However, I have a friend who likes hockey and it's the middle of all the playoff games, here and over on his side of the pond.  So, I thought a little hockey action was in order since I actually have some hockey gear for M4 and stuff.  This is just the basic setup with some temporary mesh lights and blacked out background.  I found a free hockey rink that I managed to get into DS, but I'm still working on all of the surfaces.  I'm, also, working on doing some custom texturing for the hockey uniforms.  Right now, they just have the default textures that came with the pack.  I can't do too much with the textures until my friend sees this image so I can pick his brain about any favorite players' numbers and what the proper uniform color is as I found two different colors and I'm not sure which one is the right one for his team for the first guy.  The other guy will be sporting my team's colors.  Although, it remains to be seen if my player will be sporting the US uniform for the World Championship or if I go for my favorite US team who is currently still in it for the Stanley Cup.  I guess that depends on whether or not they beat Tampa on Monday.  We'll see if I can pull it off!

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what my friend says when he sees this post.

Hiya there Knitting you have hit on my fav sport Hockey!!! I have goggled some ice hockey pics for you to refer to when it comes to posing the players, I agree with Kismet about them being agressive because that is the backbone of hockey is aggression. they need to have snarl like looks on their faces for sure, maybe even have a fight starting on the other side of the rink if you have oneyou have taken on a major task with hockey let me tell you!!!

• tcmeehantcmeehan Posts: 20

Hi again,

I have a question about motion blur.  I just looked over the demo that Kismet2012 linked to and I think it would be a great add to my render but I can't find that option in Iray.  Is motion blur only an option in in 3Delight?

Thanks!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Motion blur in Iray is complicated, but possible.  There was recently a new product out by DraagonStorm call MotionBlur for Iray.  I bought it when it went on sale, but confess I haven't had a chance to figure it out yet.  I managed to crash it the first time I tested it out.  There is a video on the product page I linked to that shows the basics and it might give you some ideas if you already know how to do it in 3Delight.  I bought the product because I couldn't figure out how to do the motion blur on my own in Iray.  I have not found any videos of anyone showing how to do motion blur in Iray as I looked.  Which is why I ended up buying DraagonStorm's new product.

@Saphirewild Yes, I saw that, thanks.  I haven't had a chance to modify the poses yet.  Those are the poses that came straight out of the hockey pose set.  I'll get to it.  It just took a little more finesse than I thought it would to get the ice rink up and working in DS.  Now that the ice rink is working, I can work on the jerseys and the poses and lighting more.

Motion blur in Iray is complicated, but possible.  There was recently a new product out by DraagonStorm call MotionBlur for Iray.  I bought it when it went on sale, but confess I haven't had a chance to figure it out yet.  I managed to crash it the first time I tested it out.  There is a video on the product page I linked to that shows the basics and it might give you some ideas if you already know how to do it in 3Delight.  I bought the product because I couldn't figure out how to do the motion blur on my own in Iray.  I have not found any videos of anyone showing how to do motion blur in Iray as I looked.  Which is why I ended up buying DraagonStorm's new product.

@Saphirewild Yes, I saw that, thanks.  I haven't had a chance to modify the poses yet.  Those are the poses that came straight out of the hockey pose set.  I'll get to it.  It just took a little more finesse than I thought it would to get the ice rink up and working in DS.  Now that the ice rink is working, I can work on the jerseys and the poses and lighting more.

Silly me I so forgot to post the link to the HOCKEY photos to refer to (smacks my head)

edited May 2016

Here is another WIP because I scraped the other one kept making daz crash so onward and upward!!!

Here is the first render of WIP Micheal in Action without any lights except the cam light

Here the second render of WIP Micheal In Action with UE no shadows or any other lighting right now, any and all comments are welcome

first stage of fight render.png
    1500 x 927 - 2M
    second stage of fight render.png
    1500 x 927 - 1M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Here is another WIP because I scraped the other one kept making daz crash so onward and upward!!!

Here is the first render of WIP Micheal in Action without any lights except the cam light

Here the second render of WIP Micheal In Action with UE no shadows or any other lighting right now, any and all comments are welcome

Hey Saphirewild! 

Sorry I haven't been around but I've been buried in overtime, so I have just a few minutes.

There's a little trick to getting a realistic look to the guy being kicked.  Select one of the abdomen body parts, then with your mouse, yank backward!  You will find he doubles over and the limbs go forward.  It's the same premise when you try to move a body part with your mouse rather than using the posing dials.  You can make adjustments afterward. 

By the way, I like how you posed Mike's hair.  It fits the action. 

Gotta go.  Another 10-11 hour day for me tomorrow...  z.zzz.z.z.z.z ... z . z

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285

Ok, so I have a serious question..am I considered a "New User" if I just started using Daz in February?

Just wondering...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

yes

edited May 2016

cool! Thank you, for answering my question...

Muha ha ha!

Jk..no Im serious

Post edited by Aloreea on

wait..another question..Do we have to just use Daz? or can we use multiple software?

DS,  Poser, Bryce, Carrara  whichever is your program of choice.

cool! thanks again...sorry for all of the questions...wait i have another one!...jk

again..thanks

wait..so could I use Ps6?

wait..so could I use Ps6?

You are allowed to use PSs Gimp or any other program of that sort for postwork but the intent of the contest is to learn the use a 3D Program, so please try to keep the focus of your work there.

yes as Linwelly said,

I did list 3d programs, not paint programs.   It is a 3d Art contest.

• bunglebungle Posts: 38
    edited May 2016

@bungle  I like what you did here.  There is still a little bit blurred distortion around the edges for a kind of modified DOF effect and yet the girls' faces are in focus now.  I like the sharpness of the image in the floor, too.

I tried to experiment with a bunch of other elements. It is looking more like the trainwreck I wanted. Not sure how good my post was, but oh well, at least I had fun.

f34h_post.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 364K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • 3delinquent3delinquent Posts: 355

I was amused from the start Bungle. That's turned into something great!

'Hmmmm. Do I go for the boquet or try to save the cake?'

Bungle, that scene is awesome!  There are so many fun things happening in the background.  Very inspiring stuff!

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited May 2016

So I tried to tweak my original render and wasn't happy with it.  So....I took some time away from it and also thought about the suggestions around posing and bringing the other character in.

Here's the next iteration.  I'm not quite happy with the postwork but I think I'm making progress.

Clash of Swords 4.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 759K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on

So I tried to tweak my original render and wasn't happy with it.  So....I took some time away from it and also thought about the suggestions around posing and bringing the other character in.

Here's the next iteration.  I'm not quite happy with the postwork but I think I'm making progress.

I must say Jack you did an amazing job on this so far, I can not wait to see it when you are most happy with it!!!

dracorn said:

Hey Saphirewild! 

Sorry I haven't been around but I've been buried in overtime, so I have just a few minutes.

There's a little trick to getting a realistic look to the guy being kicked.  Select one of the abdomen body parts, then with your mouse, yank backward!  You will find he doubles over and the limbs go forward.  It's the same premise when you try to move a body part with your mouse rather than using the posing dials.  You can make adjustments afterward. 

By the way, I like how you posed Mike's hair.  It fits the action. 

Gotta go.  Another 10-11 hour day for me tomorrow...  z.zzz.z.z.z.z ... z . z

Thanks for the info Dracorn I am going to try your suggestion tomorrow and see how it turns out, will be back with the results!!

edited May 2016
    bungle said:

I tried to experiment with a bunch of other elements. It is looking more like the trainwreck I wanted. Not sure how good my post was, but oh well, at least I had fun.

WOW Bungle if it is a train wreck you were looking for then by golly you sure got it in this render!!!! Truely amazing work!!!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,165
    bungle said:

WOW Bungle if it is a train wreck you were looking for then by golly you sure got it in this render!!!! Truely amazing work!!!

You typed it saphire, the one trying to save the cake looks like she's about to get a face full of it.

edited May 2016

I'm so glad I decided to give this competition a try!  I've been working on this scene all week.  i wanted to learn motion blur in DAZ studio so I wouldn't have to do any postwork and lighting and surfaces in 3Delight.  I still need to work on her eyes because I think the highlight is in the wrong place.  Any help would be apreciated!

mopedBeachTcMeehan.jpg
    809 x 521 - 271K
    Post edited by tcmeehan on
    tcmeehan said:

I'm so glad I decided to give this competition a try!  I've been working on this scene all week.  i wanted to learn motion blur in DAZ studio so I wouldn't have to do any postwork and lighting and surfaces in 3Delight.  I still need to work on her eyes because I think the highlight is in the wrong place.  Any help would be apreciated!

Very nice start! I fear for her skin there, driving barefeet and noprotrection wink. As for the eye reflection, depending on the figure you are using there should be different option in the materials (using smart content, the figure selected in the scene tab) there are ususally several presets and a no reflection setting.

• R GolbraithR Golbraith Posts: 45

I tried putting the picture in the body of the letter but it kept saying it was 291845 characters too long. The picture is only 235KB. So, what's the problem? Thanks for the help.