Do Over . . how to uninstall so I can reinstall 4.9

too much headaches from the start, figure just uninstall  from the directory it's at now (which is  the wrong one) and seems any attempts top fix it is just making things worse for me.

I cannot find the Uninstall, it's not in Programs  where I can just go to and click uninstall.

yet when I look in my drives it is there DAZ Studio, both in C and E, nether of which has a uninstall

just want to start over

Help me Please

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

If you installed with DIM, uninstall from there.  That won't erase your user settings, though, if that's where the issue lies.

• XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 873

oh dang, lol had uninstalled that first

okay will reinstall DIM

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If I recall, there isn't any way of actually uninstalling Studio that will remove the registry keys that house the user settings...

mjc1016 said:

If I recall, there isn't any way of actually uninstalling Studio that will remove the registry keys that house the user settings...

what does that mean ?

(probably asking it wrong way)

Basically, all the ways that uninstall Studio leave the user settings intact.  Those are stored in a bunch of registry keys (at least in Windows...not sure where, but probably a config file of some sort on a Mac).

So, for most problems, uninstalling isn't going to fix much...and very rarely does uninstalling/reinstalling all the content fix things.

thanks, I was thinking that was what you were meaning, but too unsure, so had to ask

just finished with manual installing 4.9, and  things are looking better, in the right drive, and some icons are showing where they had not before.

going to see if DIM will now instaLL Correctly, may need to uninstall the content that didn't    load correctly, going to do a test here in a moment

XaatXuun said:

thanks, I was thinking that was what you were meaning, but too unsure, so had to ask

just finished with manual installing 4.9, and  things are looking better, in the right drive, and some icons are showing where they had not before.

going to see if DIM will now instaLL Correctly, may need to uninstall the content that didn't    load correctly, going to do a test here in a moment

Where there are actual broken installs, messed up content (actual missing files, etc) a remove/reinstall will work...but generally many problems are bad paths and not bad content.

edited February 2016

yes, I saw it was bad, tried to fix it, and all it was doing was making a bigger mess

The manual installing from the start would had been the thing I needed to do at the start.

oh well lesson learned, whole day of down loading wasted (over 24 hours worth). but knowing it is working correctly now has added calmness to my mood

did my first test  to see if DIM installs correctly, and can use it in DS,  seems to be a success . . so far, and looking good, like it's  working correctly now

but I do need to uninstall all that went to the wrong  place, and Download and install again

Post edited by XaatXuun on

Unless you have DIM dump the download files, it should still have them squirreled away, so you shouldn't need to redownload much, if anything.

yeah it does seem the download portion is going faster

may had spoke too soon

after reinstalling some content,  again it's going to the wrong sppot, right drive

this is taking too long to figure out . . though I am sure once I have it all figure out it won't be so bad . . still a pain .. 4.6 was kazillion tons better and easier to use. 4.9 is just a mess and uncooperative

why the hell does DS want to keep installing itself  in C: drive when I direct it to E: drive

thought I had this problem figured out, now it's back in C,

what the hell is going on here it's doing it on it's own,

I deleted it out of C:, tired of that CRAP

Probably windows 10 doing it to me

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580

Can you post screenshots of the Content Directory Manager in DS and the Settings > Installation tab in DIM as they are now?

Can you post screenshots of the Content Directory Manager in DS and the Settings > Installation tab in DIM as they are now?

yes I can but later, taking a break, need to install it again any ways for the screen shot

need the break on working this out, before I break

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    XaatXuun said:
    mjc1016 said:

what does that mean ?

You can manually delete the references in the registry, but manually altering the registry can be a huge risk.

CCleaner have a free version. After you have uninstalled Daz, run the registry portion of CCleaner to see if it finds Daz to remove. Should you need to remove the registry entries.

nicstt said:
    XaatXuun said:
    mjc1016 said:

what does that mean ?

You can manually delete the references in the registry, but manually altering the registry can be a huge risk.

CCleaner have a free version. After you have uninstalled Daz, run the registry portion of CCleaner to see if it finds Daz to remove. Should you need to remove the registry entries.

perfect, just a couple minutes ago I was mentioning "I will need to get something to clean things up", but I couldn't recall any names, I knew it had the word

'clean' in it

Thank you,

still be a few days before I will do it, just have to avoid that mess a little while to remove the violent thoughts angry it has created

new question

I was looking through the files and saw a log file,  this is a portion of it [copy and paste]

Current Content Install Path:
        Location = C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library
        Disk Total: 931.5 GB (1000202039296)
        Disk Avail: 916.7 GB (984352272384)

now here is the question,

Is that saying my C: drive has 900gb ?

because that drive certainly does not have that much , which is why  I am trying to keep things in E:

I'm just wondering if DS is calling my E drive C

XaatXuun said:

That's what it looks like to me...is E a 1 TB or bigger drive?

You didn't happen to move the Documents folder to E and create a link back to C by any chance (I think Windows can do that kind of linking now)?

mjc1016 said:
    XaatXuun said:

That's what it looks like to me...is E a 1 TB or bigger drive?

You didn't happen to move the Documents folder to E and create a link back to C by any chance (I think Windows can do that kind of linking now)?

E is 1TB, C is not, it's 250GB, just enough for my games.

as for the document folder, at that time, no I had not, but I did later, was hoping that would help

I'm looking in E: and there are like 3 different DS folders, one is inside of another, E is a mess, so attempting to get it organized, and looking neat.

I haven't done the CCleaner thing yet

It may be as simple as collapsing all those Daz folders into one...post a screenshot of it...

that is the process I going through now, but I think I moved into wrong DS surprise

screen shot at the moment won't help, been posting those  for A day now. what I mean by won't help, kinda burnt out posting them and  nothing helping,  so a bit screen shot shy now

trying to remember how to change where the folders open in a new window, don't like having to right click ever time to do that

okay, uninstalled again,

after install everything is like it was before, messed up, but in the right directory.

even though I used DIM to install, I still have to use daz connect and install from there, so I can use the items

Everything is in the Products and not in DAZ Studio Formats>My DAZ 3D Library

so I have to install everything twice it seems, and not where I want it frown

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

It is telling you how much harddrive memory/space you have total.  Harddrive manufacturers use decimal math for the size while your computer uses binary math, that is why it looks like you don't have as much memory as you thought.  Decimal a GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, binary a GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes

jestmart said:

It is telling you how much harddrive memory/space you have total.  Harddrive manufacturers use decimal math for the size while your computer uses binary math, that is why it looks like you don't have as much memory as you thought.  Decimal a GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, binary a GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes

yes I know, just that the log was pointing out that there was over 900GB in C drive. My C drive is only 20% of that

I mean if my C: drive was that big (900GB +) I wouldn't be too concern where DS is installed

No it is not saying your C: drive is that big, it is reporting the total of all your drives.

I just checked my DIM log...I've got all sorts of 'strange' links and redirects (as far as Windows is concerned, WINE created them and sees them as 'normal').  DIM reports them the way 'Windows' is seeing them.  In no case is DIM reporting the total of all the drives involved.

It is most definitely saying that C: is 1 TB.  If the folder were moved by way of a 'softlink' then Windows will see C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library as being on C: still, even if it is actually on E.   So DIM will report E as C.

This process...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7

Using that to move/redirect the folder will create a link to it, so Windows will 'see' the new location as the same thing as the old one (soft link).

edited February 2016

okay, seems I might have a solution,  but may be bad that can't use DIM

I think DIM may be the problem the whole time, and not going to uninstall and try  it again to see  if it is.

what I did this time, was, I manual downloaded, (did that before), but I placed the ZIP in E:,  and extracted there,  it still wanted to place in C:, but I changed it to E:

Now last time that seemed to have worked, but later I installed  DIM, but  I believe DIM moved everything to C:  since later DS ended up  in C: even though I made sure everything was to go to E:

I can't say it's DIM doing the moving or not,  For now I'm just going to Manual install what I can,  I want to get  back to rendering

I did one test but I had only have Genesis 3 Starter essentials  installed when I did the test, and I can't find the render folder, I had to open the one in DS to view the final render, I shouldn't have a problem finding where DS stashed that Folder, just at the time I just wanted to look at the render, then  install some more and test some more

oh and I had to install content in "My Library" and not "My DAZ Library"

Post edited by XaatXuun on

should wait till tomorrow , but everything is looking good so far,  Thought I try DAZ connect, and see what happens,

it went where it was suppose to, in E:

I'm not a fan of Smart content, but  it is from there I have to install from once connected.

I'm used to just going to My Library,,  going to Categories  means I need to  remember,  well  I had to do that in My Library, but I was used to it, and most everything was manually installed so I already knew where to look, now I'll have to search and look for it.

No Fun . . .  same program just a new way of doing things . . I don't think I'll have problems adjusting to that, just a frustrating start.

Since DAZ Connect is working for me, I don't think I will bother installing DIM.

I was hoping to just have one area to look for my content, since some stuff comes from a third party, that will end up in "My Library" where all the items from DAZ, will be in Categories.   might be whining too soon about that and there still will be a way to get it all in the same area to select from

well, lets hope things stay the way it is now, . . I'll be blowing a gasket, if tomorrow I turn  the machine on start DS and happen top notice it's no longer in E:

DIM will only do what you let it.  If you want to download and install to locations other than its default you need to open the preferences (click on cog icon) and make the changes.

jestmart said:

DIM will only do what you let it.  If you want to download and install to locations other than its default you need to open the preferences (click on cog icon) and make the changes.

been there . . did that  . . . several times

I can't say it was DIM doing it, but  it was awful coincidental that it kept happening after letting DIM do the installs,  Heck it could be Win10 doing it, I don't know

I had to toss logic or reasoning out the door.  even when I have  everything set to install in E: .  . they still ended up in C:

If what I have done here, to get it go where I want and it's working, I'm happy.  And I can use DAZ connect (which is doing what I want and staying that way) just as I did with DIM . . so I don't need DIM, my Feelings about DAZ connect and DIM are the same . . I don't care for either, but  I don't see where I need 2 installers any ways. So no DIM any more. Guess you could say I selected one of the 2 evils ( or is it lessor evils, tho they felt like Major Evils devil)