February, 2016 New User 3D Art Contest “Lighting” (WIP Thread)

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited February 2016

FyreHeart- thanks, I'm happy with how that one came out. Still playing with the hands and trying to get some light in that window behind him, which appears to be opaque and part of the wall. I'll keep messing with it.

Shinji- How about something like "Standoff in Sector 9" or "Crossfire at Checkpoint 11"? Since we're seeing it from the point of view of whoever's holding the red and silver gun, the title could reflect that person's thought process. If they turned down that hallway by mistake, you could call it "Trouble Ahead", "Uh Oh" or "Wrong Turn". If they meant to go there: "So We Meet Again!" or "Lock and Load!" Have fun with it!

PS. I'm partial to the title "Lock and Load" myself!

Post edited by Llynara on
  • RafmerRafmer Posts: 564
    Rafmer said:

Time for me to take my first image again. I wasn't really satisfied with it, so I changed quite a few things.

I switched positions on camera of the two fencers, changed their poses for a more dynamic ones and increased the overall luminosity of the scene.

There are a few things I would like to improve; things like the hands grip on the saber, the reflections on her hair and maybe rotate the scenario to avoid those pillars behind him. But it's a 10+ hours render and I would like to get your opinions and feedback first if you would be so kind. Thanks in advance!

Sometimes what I do when I want a slightly different camer angle is to load another camera.  That way I can keep the original view and play around with different looks, go back and forth and try to figure out which one I like the best.

Something else to keep in mind is to try not to cut off small bits of a figure.  Currently you have the edge of the image cutting off part of your bad guy's right foot.

A well done image that just needs a bit of tweaking.

Thanks for the tips. Let's see if I have the time to make another render before the end of the month.

To render, or not to render. That is the question!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited February 2016

Made a few changes last night. I think that I'm about there, but like usual I have no idea for a title...

I just had a "well duh" moment - I had not realized there was a person holding the gun... Guess I thought it was a robot or something. Perhaps if you let us see the hand holding the gun, it would be very obvious so nobody else makes a silly mistake. Besides that, it looks really good. I don't have any more suggestions. As for a title, how about "You're not part of the plan." Actually I feel kinda sorry for the gunman, considering the amount of heat pointed back at him.
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Made a few changes last night. I think that I'm about there, but like usual I have no idea for a title...

I am like that for titles.  They either come to me while I am working or I have no idea what to call something.

Good luck

Llynara said:

To render, or not to render. That is the question!

The answer is... 42. =o)

LOL! It certainly is! :D

• Hi! Everyone, 

Meet Lushia resident of the Khidell House. She is part of a series I have been developing called "Anowar" . She is rendered using pointlights and 3Delight. I tried Nvidia but it made her skin look texturized and I played around with the uberenviornment lights but they seemed harsh on her skin. This was the render that I liked the most, although I really wanted to make her eyes glow more. 

LUSHIA 1.jpg
    1002 x 822 - 511K
  • Hi Everyone, 

Its me again, here is another scene from "Anowar". This is the "Battle at Longmare". I used spotlight and a skydome light setting to render this scene 3Delight. The shadows is why I wanted to post this one. 

The Battle at Longmare.jpg
    1002 x 822 - 426K
  • Hi Everyone, 

Its me again, here is another scene from "Anowar". This is the "Battle at Longmare". I used spotlight and a skydome light setting to render this scene 3Delight. The shadows is why I wanted to post this one. 

The Battle at Longmare.jpg
    1002 x 822 - 426K
    RomonaJ said:

Hi! Everyone, 

Meet Lushia resident of the Khidell House. She is part of a series I have been developing called "Anowar" . She is rendered using pointlights and 3Delight. I tried Nvidia but it made her skin look texturized and I played around with the uberenviornment lights but they seemed harsh on her skin. This was the render that I liked the most, although I really wanted to make her eyes glow more. 

Welcome RomonaJ:

Lushia is very striking. 

Have you tired using point lights to try and give her eyes some glow?  You would have to scale them down in size.  Linear Point Lights would give you more control over how far the light reaches with the falloff settings.

RomonaJ said:

Hi Everyone, 

One or both of your lights might need to be toned down a bit.  The white is being overpowered by the light. 

You do have some great shadows and I really like the minimalist landscape and background.  It makes your figures and what is happening with them the focus.

RomonaJ said:

Hi! Everyone, 

That is one seriously interesting headdress - not sure it's too comfortable, though. 

Do you want the eyes to glow on their own, or have more light shining on them?  The latter is an old Hollywood trick of the black and white movie era.  Pointlights could work, but to keep her nose from glowing you would have to set up one for each eye.

If you want the eyes to glow on their own, go to the Surfaces tab and turn the Ambient from dark to a light color.  Then increase the Ambient Strength just a little - maybe only 5% or less, otherwise you will have stark white.  UE2 is the way to make the eyes emit light, but you didn't want to use it. 

Llynara said:

Fyreheart- I like the gun! I think it compliments what's already going on. 

Liana- I would move the camera angle to the right more, so her gaze is looking more at the camera. Also, her top blends in with the chair she's sitting in. I'd make it a different color, something contrasting to make it pop more. You have a lot of browns and dark reds here. Maybe go for a blue or yellow top. Could be the same hue- a gold would look very nice. 

Here's one more I might enter (need to decide soon!) This is Elroy Brown, the villain of my book series. His mother tried to name him "Leroy" (after the song, "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown") but was drunk when he was born and screwed up his name. He's been pissed off ever since. The title of this render is "Not For Long".

Psst- I used Mech4D's mullet hair for G2M available free this week here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58276/mec4d-s-celebration-with-freebies-commercial/p52

Thanks for the link - I'll be sure to look it up.

You have a slight collision problem with the thumbs and the bars.  Hands holding things are the hardest, I know.  Just keep practicing.

• dracorn said:
    Llynara said:

Fyreheart- I like the gun! I think it compliments what's already going on. 

Liana- I would move the camera angle to the right more, so her gaze is looking more at the camera. Also, her top blends in with the chair she's sitting in. I'd make it a different color, something contrasting to make it pop more. You have a lot of browns and dark reds here. Maybe go for a blue or yellow top. Could be the same hue- a gold would look very nice. 

Here's one more I might enter (need to decide soon!) This is Elroy Brown, the villain of my book series. His mother tried to name him "Leroy" (after the song, "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown") but was drunk when he was born and screwed up his name. He's been pissed off ever since. The title of this render is "Not For Long".

Psst- I used Mech4D's mullet hair for G2M available free this week here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/58276/mec4d-s-celebration-with-freebies-commercial/p52

Thanks for the link - I'll be sure to look it up.

You have a slight collision problem with the thumbs and the bars.  Hands holding things are the hardest, I know.  Just keep practicing.

looks like his right palm is colliding as well. can't tell with the left.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited February 2016

To make a long story short. :) I was able to make adjustments to her shorts, they did not look too flared out sitting. lol I did not change the shirt color was a bit more complicated than just changing colors in daz and no templates. I did change the chair and table though. :)

As for lights I ended up with the spotlight as my sunlight through the window, made the distant light in the room, and made adjustments to get this result. :)

So....tada!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/98/311e049653b80087d4354698b108b5.jpg

for the love of vases3.jpg
    600 x 480 - 215K
    Post edited by Liana on
    edited February 2016
    Liana said:

To make a long story short. :) I was able to make adjustments to her shorts, they did not look too flared out sitting. lol I did not change the shirt color was a bit more complicated than just changing colors in daz and no templates. I did change the chair and table though. :)

As for lights I ended up with the spotlight as my sunlight through the window, made the distant light in the room, and made adjustments to get this result. :)

So....tada!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/98/311e049653b80087d4354698b108b5.jpg

Are her feet sinking into the floor? 

Good job on the adjustments.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

Thanks, I worked on his hands, got the window to look right and will post a final tonight. Almost there!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,050
    edited February 2016

Thought I would post this render I am working on, this is 30% done rendering.

Lights are - Barcelona Rooftops HDRI, Emissive Shader on bedside light, standing light behind piano and there is an overhead centre light. There is no wall behind the camera so the ambient light coming from there is from the HDRI as if it is coming through another window.

Penthouse View

Click on image for full size.

penthouse-barcelona-rooftops-001.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 1013K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Cool render Fishtales. :)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,050
    Liana said:

Cool render Fishtales. :)

Thank you.

Are her feet sinking into the floor? 

Good job on the adjustments.

Thanks. :)

They had been on renders I did originally and I made adjustments. A person never knows. I have made adjustments thinking I got things and

then find out I didn't,. They are kind of really flat shoes. lol

• Fishtales said:

Thought I would post this render I am working on, this is 30% done rendering.

Lights are - Barcelona Rooftops HDRI, Emissive Shader on bedside light, standing light behind piano and there is an overhead centre light. There is no wall behind the camera so the ambient light coming from there is from the HDRI as if it is coming through another window.

Penthouse View

Click on image for full size.

Overall a good scene, but that's a seriously big dog.  I actually found it distracting given the size relationship between the dog and the bed and the piano.

Love the lighting. It's a beautiful scene, Fishtales. I want to go there!

RomonaJ said:

Hi! Everyone, 

Very interesting head dress (and on the other render too). Reminds me of something from Dune!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited February 2016

Checking to see what you guys are all up to and Wow over 200 posts to slog thru!  I've been busy doing non DS related stuff and haven't been popped in since my last post. 

@Siotrad I really like how the Geisha turned out.  Stunning work.

@dracorn Bishop takes Queen turned out really nicely.

@dHandle I really like the light and shadows that you have going on your vampire/monster render.  Very nice effects.

@Shinji Ikari 9th I really like the lighting changes you've made.  It almost looks like a totally different render from the last time I saw it. 

Welcome to the newbies dropping in that I haven't met yet.  This is a great place to learn and get some helpful tips. 

I have a render in the oven as it were.  It should be finished overnight.  I'm letting it run full out, just in case I don't get a chance to make any changes to it and this ends up being my contest entry.  I made some changes from the last post, but I'm still not happy with it.  Hopefully, I can get some advice and have time to run one more render before the contest ends.  In the meantime, I stopped it long enough to save last render before letting it resume.  This render posting is at about 65% and 8284 iterations so it might actually not be much different at the end.  It has a render time of 1 day 20 hours and 9 minutes when I stopped it.  I honestly can't tell a difference sometimes except in the deep shadows that there has been much of a change once an Iray render gets up past 6000 iterations.

GirlLostFuture05.jpg
    2000 x 1350 - 1M
    GirlLostFuture05b.jpg
    2000 x 1350 - 2M
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited February 2016

Last minute render......

Paradise by the Dashboard Light 

"Though it's cold and lonely in the deep dark night
    I can see paradise by the dashboard light"

-- Meat Loaf

DS 4.9, Iray.  No Postwork

HDRI for background, intensity dropped way down.
    Blue tinted mesh lights for overall ambience
    High intensity rim light to simulate moonlight (as other forum posts said, we've been conditioned to expect it by lots of night scenes on TV and movies)
    Color Saturation dropped to .75 for night scene.
    Emissive surface on the radio panel
    Point light in front of radio for improved emissive lighting
    Additional spot to cheat for the light on the face

Car model:   1953 Cadillac Eldorado by Curro Astorza

Paradise.jpg
    1280 x 853 - 609K
    Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

@TabascoJack This is AWESOME! Lots of good renders this month as well.

KA1 said:

@TabascoJack This is AWESOME! Lots of good renders this month as well.

I agree here. :)

Wonderful render TabascoJack