Omni Shader Hair Thread

Comments

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963
    You can't always rely on "dforce" in the name either, before the dynamic hair was added to Studio, some vendors (notably Lindsay if I'm remembering correctly) used the cloth dforce on hair built as a mesh with transparency maps. If you end up with ribbons that sounds like exactly what you were applying it to.
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,099
    edited February 29

Back on page 1 of this thread, there's a list of vendors who have strand based hair offerings. Look for the newer hairs by these vendors that mention being strand based.

Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218

DarkElegance said:

Artini said:

@DarkElegance:

Yes, I have that problem, too, with https://www.daz3d.com/ardamir-hair-for-genesis-9

The hair you are using is not compatible with Omni shader.

Would be great to have a list of the hair compatible with Omni shader.

I have now tried this on a good number of my hairs, including "dforce" hairs and so far....It doesnt seem to work. Or, (this is odd) on one of the dforce hairs, it worked and then showed the "ribbons".

Please state exactly what hair you are trying, so people can help diagnose the problem. As others have said, the term "dForce" is not enough to ensure that the hair is strand based. Linday often uses cloth based dForce on hairs, not strand based hair dForce engine.
    Also, be sure that you have set Line Tessellation to 0. Older hairs will have it set to something like 3. Line Tessellation is in the Parameters pane. If your hair is selected and you don't see a Line Tessellation parameter, the hair is not strand based dForce hair and the Omni shader cannot be expected to work with that hair.

edited February 29

jd641 said:

barbult said:

Nordic Knots and Halo Hair

Most of the time I can guess what morphs are being used but I'm at a total loss at who you used here, looks fanstatic though. I hope you don't if I ask you who/what you used?

@jd641 Here are the morphs I dialed:

/Actor/Full Body/People/Feminine/Mira 9 Body HD Details: 1

/Actor/Full Body/People/Feminine/MB Herlinda Body: 0.25

/Actor/Full Body/People/Feminine/Mira 9 Body: 0.25

/Actor/Hands/Base/MSO_G9_Nails: 0.719

/Actor/Head/Base/Proportion Head Size: 0.079

/Actor/Head/Neck/Base/Proportion Neck Length: -1.00

/Actor/Head/People/Feminine/Mira 9 Head HD Details: 1

/Actor/Head/People/Feminine/Base Feminine Head: 0.400

/Actor/Head/People/Feminine/P3D Mia Head: 0.400

/Actor/Head/People/Feminine/MB Herlinda Head: 0.25

/Actor/Head/People/Feminine/Mira 9 Head: 0.600

/Actor/People/Feminine/Mira 9 HD Details: 1

/Actor/People/Feminine/Mira 9: 0.5

/Actor/People/Feminine/P3D Mia: 0.200

/Actor/People/Feminine/MB Herlinda: 0.5

The materials are from Maryam 9.

Post edited by barbult on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited February 29

The Kara Ponytail hair default Omni shader under HDRI lighting on Josie 9

kara hait-test-05.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    kara hait-test-012.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Mattymanx on

Gosh, does Daz test ANYTHING? When I apply the updated Snow White preset I get this missing file error.

Screenshot 2024-02-29 200335.jpg
    533 x 318 - 22K
  • chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,199

Sigh. That is 100% my fault. I cant send them down the river on that.  Ill get it fixed asap.

chevybabe25 said:

Sigh. That is 100% my fault. I cant send them down the river on that.  Ill get it fixed asap.

Aren't they supposed to test things before putting them live in DIM? Maybe you made the file error, but I still think they should have tested it. I probably don't know the update process, though. Maybe they let PAs upload anything as a fix. Anyway, it is an easy fix and I already edited my copy of the duf file to fix it.

Mattymanx said:

OK, I wasn't going to buy anything today, but now I have too. It looks lovely.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

barbult said:

Mattymanx said:

OK, I wasn't going to buy anything today, but now I have too. It looks lovely.

On the bright side its got a good discount

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

chevybabe25 said:

You will need to update to the newest version of Daz. Im not sure about drivers.

.....well I guess that leaves me out as I'm still on W7 and not about to go back to glacial CPU rendering. 4.21.0.5 is the last version that allows GPU rendering after Nvidia stopped driver support for the OS. 

• I'm loving this product!

Here's my test of using it...

Thank you, chevybabe25 and DAZ!

Lee

OmniShaderHairTest.jpg
    966 x 1251 - 960K
    OmniShaderHairTest (monochrome).jpg
    966 x 1251 - 599K
    edited March 1

Good thing I bought the Kara ponytail yesterday, It is more expensive today, although there may be discounts. This is the hair material as it loads. I didn't change the materials.

V9 in Upper Class Roadster Driving pony tail draped_001_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • NewGuyNewGuy Posts: 149
    edited March 1

I'm loving how realistic this shader makes the hair look. Now I'm wishing there were more SBH products in the store.

Kara 9, ponytail with Revolution - Omni Shaders Fiery Red Intense:

Kara 9 Ponytail Business Suit.jpg
    1563 x 2032 - 826K
    Post edited by NewGuy on
  • stelaristelari Posts: 74

The shaders are excellent, but also the new hairs are super nice. Looking forward to more compatible hairs in the future. Here's a test on each of the 3 new hairs (Holo, Kara Ponytail, Nordic Knots), plus Redz Kaz.

Gallery Link

• Love these shaders and hairs heart

Noa.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
  • Nena LuNena Lu Posts: 1

I'm amazed by the look of the hair, just a shame, that it means, that I need tons of new hair, to use this shader.

newhair.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 2M

Loving all these images!!! heartheartheart 

• stelaristelari Posts: 74

Whoops, posted the before (turning off line tesselation) image for the Kaz hair - here's the after:

• mdingmding Posts: 1,143

Are these shaders very demanding considering render time / duration?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited March 1

Some great examples posted on this thread!  Here is a test using a promo from my upcoming product Action Heroines (watch out for that!) comparing my original promo with my Femme Fatale Hair and then with tesselation set to 0 and a new Omnishader applied - quite a difference!  Just to confirm that all of my hairs since Longdrape Hair and Femme Fatale are dForce Hair strand based hairs and so will be compatible with the new Omni-Shader. Just apply a preset and set the Tesselataion of both preview and render to 0, it is considerably lighter on system resources and looks great!

Popup07 FaceG Pirate.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 274K
    Face G Pirate3 with Omni Shaders and Hair Curves.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 302K
    Post edited by PhilW on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

So one has to re install all their hair products seriously?

You need to install the new version of daz studio and the default resources. You do not need to reinstall things that are already in your library.

I have the new DS what is the default resources??

Default Resources 4.22 +

These are the extra shader things that have to be installed for everything to work properly.

I found it on the DS DL section thx

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

chevybabe25 said:

Vendors that I know (other than myself)  make or have made strand hair:

Toyen

Oso3D

Redz

Propschic and Aidano

PhilW

HM

Aprilysh

On occasion I have seen strand hairs from different vendors including: Several by Linday,  a couple from Mihrelle,1 from CakeOne, Lady LittleFox,Vyusur, Valzheimer, Will Dupre, MAB and 3Diva.

If I have missed any, I can add them to this list.

Wouldn't Neftis3D more recent hair offerings work with  your system?  

Well funny thing.. I tried that, and it is a hard no.   Hers use transparency maps, and this just makes a mess of her hairs. True fibermesh it seems to work on nicely though ( CC's Beard Boss) looks great with it

• SGattonSGatton Posts: 59

chevybabe25 said:

I just tried this on one of Neftis hairs, and the outcome was not spectacular.  This is definitely for strand hair only.

I may have figured out how to use the shaders on "regular" hair. The problem is the cutout opacity. When you apply the shader, it kills the opacity transmap. If you turn on opacity and then set the regular trans map, the hair disappears. But, if you open the mat in Daz's Layered Image Editor, invert the image (swap white and black) & apply, and set the opacity to around .35, the hair looks like it should. Did it on Neftis's Jeremy Hair. It's made from tubes, but this method seems to have handled the problems. This is only a quick render, but the dude on the left has Neftis's Jeremy Long Hair & AprilYSH's Iden Beard (strand), while the woman on the right is wearing your Feisty Feather Bun. All are using these shaders and they look freaking awesome.

Shader Test.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Hmmm, so turning off or removing the transparency on her hairs wouldn't improve results?