Omni Shader Hair Thread

Comments

• beanbean Posts: 19

Just wanted to drop in and say wonderful job im gonna have fun with this, first render not much tweaking almost threw the laptop out the window updating Daz again grrrr.

strand based hair.jpg
    984 x 1079 - 121K
  • chevybabe25chevybabe25 Posts: 1,199

Looking good!!! It's nice to see some great examples of what this shader can do :)

• beanbean Posts: 19

I also used it on the chest hair but didn't show up as well me and my bad lighting wink

• JB007JB007 Posts: 99

Ok .. I have 4.22.016 installed .. but I'm getting a "file not found" error when using the Holo hair (https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-holo-hair-for-genesis-9) when loading / applying a material

/data/Daz 3D/Built-in Content/OmniSurface/OmniHair Root-Tip Blend.dsf

The other Omi hair released today (The Nordic one) works fine .. 

You need to install the default resources.  You can find those in dim.

edited February 28

chevybabe25 said:

You need to install the default resources.  You can find those in dim.

There's nothing showing in my DIM for default resources - my entire "Ready For Download" is empty

EDIT : Might have found it when I tick "DISPLAY HIDDEN" .. 

Post edited by JB007 on

Check and see what you downloaded. Maybe the default resources need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

The reason why one works ( The nordic knots one, is that was the original custom shader) before Daz did stuff to it.

Holo Hair was done with the newest version which has become a default resource..

chevybabe25 said:

Check and see what you downloaded. Maybe the default resources need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

The reason why one works ( The nordic knots one, is that was the original custom shader) before Daz did stuff to it.

Holo Hair was done with the newest version which has become a default resource..

Yeah, it's sorted Chevy .. The Default Resources were in the Hidden list in DIM for some reason so when I hit "Display Hidden" I found them .. thanks

Excellent :)

• jd641jd641 Posts: 429
    edited February 28

I thought maybe I'd update to 4.22 but I'm having major issues. First I renamed my 4.21 folder to a backup so nothing would be overwritten in Program Files, then I installed 4.22 via DIM and everything looked like it was installing but I can't find 4.22 anywhere on my system... dim doesn't show it as installed and when I go back to the install tab to try again, no version of studio is listed... WTF

Post edited by jd641 on

That i dont know how to solve for you, other than suggesting maybe you download it from your account instead of dim?

• jd641jd641 Posts: 429

chevybabe25 said:

That i dont know how to solve for you, other than suggesting maybe you download it from your account instead of dim?

That's alright I figured out a strange solution and it worked!

Now I'm trying to load the new Nordic Knots and I thought going from 4.21 to 4.22 would stop an error I'm getting but it hasn't "Could not find file: /Runtime/Textures/Daz/Characters/Genesis9/Ivar9Ivar9_Head_R_1001.jpg" I can ignore the warning and it loads just fine but it's kinda strange that that's the error I'm getting. hahah

• DireWorksDireWorks Posts: 133

morrisonmp said:

Another Newbie Question: How do you know if a hair is a "strand-based hair" or not?

Thanks.

maybe already answered but, in the shop all the strand based hair are name "dforce" hair name, hair name "with dforce" if the hairs are using the dforce clothing surface or no dforce mentioned for standard conforming hairs

Currently,naming is all over the place. Instead, you can use my list a little further back in this thread with the names

of vemdors who do provide strand hair.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218

chevybabe25 said:

Does that mean we should apply the Omni shader from Default Resources to the Knots hair to get the shader compatible with your color presets?

The nordic knots hair has a ton of mat files that work properly. It uses the same omishaderstuff, its just a bit different. You can always apply thr new presets in the store if you wish, thats really  up to you. 

chevybabe25 said:

The nordic knots hair has a ton of mat files that work properly. It uses the same omishaderstuff, its just a bit different. You can always apply thr new presets in the store if you wish, thats really  up to you. 

OK, thanks. I finished my shopping and bought it all now. I'll give it a try soon.

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,031
    edited February 29

A little B-Movie Ancient Villain Action. 

I haven't had so much fun playing with a DAZ product in a while.  So many possibilities and 'out of the box' excellent results without any tweaking.  I like this hair by UncannyValet over at Art Station - I like the stray hairs giving me a chance to see how the shader works on fine detail.

temp.png
    1080 x 1350 - 2M
    Post edited by bohemian3 on
  • chevybabe25 said:

Mixing instalaltion methods can cause issues, so I would not recommend this - rather, I would suggest unisntall/reinstal, and if that fails check to see if the product was installed through DS (which would take precedence over a DIM install, which is one of the perils of mixing methods).

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115

I've got a couple questions please.

How do I search my content library for strand based hair I already have installed?

How do I search the store to find strand based hair?

• Light+dark test. Pretty good.

lab furtest.png
    1500 x 1200 - 3M
    edited February 29

Nordic Knots and Halo Hair

G9 Nordic Knots Omni Shader Brunette_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Pixie Bette Mix Halo hair_Camera 2.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

barbult said:

This looks fantastic Barbult 

• Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 405
    edited February 29

jd641 said:

chevybabe25 said:

That's alright I figured out a strange solution and it worked!

Now I'm trying to load the new Nordic Knots and I thought going from 4.21 to 4.22 would stop an error I'm getting but it hasn't "Could not find file: /Runtime/Textures/Daz/Characters/Genesis9/Ivar9Ivar9_Head_R_1001.jpg" I can ignore the warning and it loads just fine but it's kinda strange that that's the error I'm getting. hahah

I had the same problem, since I don't have Ivar. I opened the .duf file and the Specular Lobe 1 Roughness channel is asking for that particular texture.

I love this hair, it's so pretty!

imsiu-nk-2.jpg
    700 x 1050 - 215K
    Post edited by Pax Asteriae on
  • PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 793

I have the same issue its looking for a texture from Ivar a character I dont have....

In the color presets product, the Snow White hair preset seems to clear some of the dForce settings. This is what I get in a full render:

Screenshot 2024-02-29 042900 Snow White.jpg
    794 x 792 - 184K
    edited February 29

Redz Katz Hair with Revolution Omni Shader presets. The character was made with the Code 66 G9 Randomizer.

G9 Randomizer Feminine People Recon Redz Omni_Camera 2.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

Alll of these look so awesome!!! Ill wait a little longer, make sure nothing else is wrong and ill submit the fixes. 

• Mattymanx said:

barbult said:

This looks fantastic Barbult 

I second that!  I had to add either Nordic or Holo (bob) hair to lower the price in my cart.  I was a little concerned I chose the wrong one when chevybabe25 said in an earlier post "The nordic knots hair has a ton of mat files that work properly. It uses the same omishaderstuff, its just a bit different. You can always apply thr [sic] new presets in the store if you wish, thats [sic] really  up to you."  After seeing this render I'm glad I chose Nordic. 

I checked out just in time,  When I clicked on the home shop page Kara 9 was just released & I saw this: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-kara-ponytail-for-genesis-9 ; ... but now I'm still glad I got Nordic.  I really like the tight hair in the braided section.  I was a bit OCD about my hair when I was young.  The "bed head" look didn't resonate with me until later in life.  I don't comment about female reporter's appearences because I'm not Ron Burgundy but I'm going to make an exception this 1 time.  When Ana Kasparian has her hair either pulled back in a ponytail or up in a bun I think it looks really cool & I wish there was a 3D product close to it.  Just the hair.  Not Ana.  The dForce Kara Ponytail for G9 isn't something I'm interested in.  I am looking forward to trying the Omni Shader on other strand based hair like: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-floor-length-hair-for-genesis-8  ; I just have to build a new PC, but first I have to go explain to the electrician someone chose for a new property that in my world $100 electrical outlets are the innexpensive outlets.  I'm not going to plug my gear in to flimsy tin foil Home Depot outlets.  I'll rest when I'm dead.  I'm excited about this Omni Shader release.  Well done everybody.  Now how much is it going to cost me to get a spell checker in the forums?  I'm a human in 2024.  I can't be expected to remember things like phone numbers, birthdays, holidays, aniversaries and how to spell words wink