Gallery Ads/Popups

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

benniewoodell said:

Just came to the forums and Avast went DING DING DING and a notification popped up that it secured a threat called Tech:Scam. I wonder what ads y'all are running. 

Quite possibly the "ad" I got for Converter Suite - see post above.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,919

the same sort Windows Security blocked on Opera in my earlier post

Malware

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,169
    edited April 19

Richard Haseltine said:

MelanieL said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Is your browser or security software deleting cookies? Are you running ana d blocker, and if so which one?

I'm getting this today too (yesterday I was getting a smaller popup about cookies). Both are annoying. I have Malwarebytes installed and Chrome browser. Setting the ad-blocker "off" for the Daz website makes no difference (except that I then get an advert popup half-obscuring the cookie one).

I thought this was supposed to be being looked at/worked on yesterday? 

You are getting an ad in the store?

Sorry Richard I can't remember whether it was store or forum. It wasn't exactly an ad, just a white bar along the bottom of the browser window with blue-edged boxes inside which were empty but had a little blue "x" in the corner, which I took to be an ad popup. I didn't screenshot it and today I can't seem to reproduce it.

am still getting the annoying cookie popup on every page of both store and forum today.

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited April 19

Here's what the main forum page looks like and what Malwarebytes claims to be blocking.

ETA: Also what the main store page looks like.

Capture.jpg
    1455 x 980 - 250K
    Capture-2.jpg
    1437 x 1065 - 334K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

I finally got rid of the cookie popup clearing out my cookies and browsing history on Firefox on iOS

the point is though DAZ presumably WANTS AdSense revenue so having our Adblockers isn't in their interest 

yet

as soon as I permit any my security/ Antivirus is triggered 

so this really is a DAZ problem they should be fixing 

as I said I whitelist other sites that ask me to disable my Adblocker on their sites because Ads are not a problem. are discrete, might play a short video or 2 unobtrusively 

don't trigger any security 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

benniewoodellMelanieL, reported both of these and they said they are gonna look into them.

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,121

I''m getting the cookie popup on every forum page now, even though I accept cookies every time. Chrome, Windows 11.

frank0314 said:

benniewoodellMelanieL, reported both of these and they said they are gonna look into them.

Thanks, Frank - now I don't know  whether they found the problem or something else changed, but I just came back to my laptop after dinner and a TV evening and got the cookie question on the first store page I landed on and the first one or two pages in the forum, clicked to accept and (crossed fingers) have not had any more cookie popups. I hope it continues this way!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

Yeah, others are reporting the same and we just spoke with them and they are still trying to find the cause and a solution for it.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,532

I can't have my computers going to websites that could potentially host viruses. If one of those spreads to your cookware then you have to disconnect all the dishes from the network and reflash the firmware in all your pots and pans. And some of that firmware is in Dutch.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

You all might be accepting the cookie, but if your browser is set to not accept third-party cookies, nothing will change.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,222

NorthOf45 said:

You all might be accepting the cookie, but if your browser is set to not accept third-party cookies, nothing will change.

Why are Daz cookies third-party cookies?

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

barbult said:

NorthOf45 said:

Why are Daz cookies third-party cookies?

Just that one, I believe. It says "We and our vendors" and all that blurb. (Of course, it doesn't who "we" are, and the rest is suitably vague that it could come from anyone). You can set preferences to decline what can be declined, except for "essential" cookies. Some sites just will not work without them. If I am blocking ads anyway, I'll never see the consequences of accepting. The cookie was saved and I have never seen the prompt again.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,247

As far as I ama ware a cookie controlling the behaviour of the daz site would have to be a daz cookie. You may get others set by things running within the page (e.g. ads) but those are handled by the sub-pages generated by the third-party provider, and would be the cookies deleted under a delete third-party cookies setting.

Well it seems that 14 days was all I get of pop-up freedom.

The cookie acceptance pop-ups are back on store, forums and gallery. All was fine until about five minutes ago.  (Still on Win11 and Chrome browser)

By the way, why is my forum page saying "waiting for www.facebook.com" at the  bottom - what has Facebook for to do with it? (I don't use it)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,071

MelanieL said:

By the way, why is my forum page saying "waiting for www.facebook.com" at the  bottom - what has Facebook for to do with it? (I don't use it)

All those social meedia icons down at the bottom of the page are links to the sites - and a form of trackers.

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,963
    So, I've avoided installing ad blockers on my phone because in the past it's interfered with mobile sites more than desktop. Today, on threads with a few new replies, I'm seeing ads in between every single post. This site is a joke. Did an ad blocker software invest in DAZ or something?
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,256

AlmightyQUEST said:

Did an ad blocker software invest in DAZ or something?

It's started to feel more like Daz just sold itself to any and all advertisers. The ads will keep encroaching bit by bit until the website is nothing but ads.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,256
    edited May 3

Ok, this is a bit much. The ad wasn't even included in the quoted post, it was just inserted into the quote.

moreads.PNG
    1359 x 770 - 430K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Gordig said:

Ok, this is a bit much. The ad wasn't even included in the quoted post, it was just inserted into the quote.

Looks like mature women who are ready to get started right away. And you'll never pay full price again. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,602

Wow, I always have an ad blocker on, so I have not seen what everyone is talking about, but the other day I turned if off for another site and forgot to enable it and came to the DAZ forums. HOLY CRAP, ad city. now I see what you all are experienceing, totally uncool.

surprise

It seems the DAZ decision makers have never cared about the forums. But somebody told them the forums exist so they decided they should turn it into a way to bring in money, in the only way they could think of. And they've probably never looked at the forums themselves so they have no idea what they've done to it.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,655

I see this topic remains understandably acrimonious. Many of us here on the forum have surely paid Daz more money over time than any ad-removal subscription would cost. It's hard to imagine that the ads are providing good ROI or in anyway compensate the ill will their presence generates.

• TesseractSpaceTesseractSpace Posts: 1,170

They really can't care all that much about the forum. Looks like they jacked up the ads to an even more obtrusive level. If they're trying to drive people away, it's working great.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

I'm on safari mobile and am now getting ads inbetween forum posts as well as at the bottom. Anyone else getting this? 

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 577

If a customer is enticed by an ad, clicks on it, and then spends the money they would have spent at Daz on whatever was in the ad, is the trickle of ad revenue worth sending the customer away in the first place? Just a thought.

• ValiskaValiska Posts: 58

I'm using Vivaldi and Ghostery here. I'm not seeing ads.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,222
    edited May 4

This is what I've been seeing on my phone when I access the forum. Often there isn't anything visible on the page except the ads.

Screenshot_20240410_132045_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1440 x 3200 - 729K
    Screenshot_20240410_132114_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1440 x 3200 - 670K
    Screenshot_20240502_065015_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1440 x 3200 - 773K
    Screenshot_20240504_100536_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1440 x 3200 - 682K
    Post edited by barbult on