December 2015 New User Contest - Free Render Month (WIP Thread)

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    TreeDee said:

I have added rain and bumped up the window emission and that's hidden any pixelation :) Still not happy with the rain but here's my latest. Am thinking I may have to do some postwork for the rain.

I actually like the blur you're getting with the rain.  I think it is coming along nicely.  There are also some nice reflections on the ground water going on as well.

Okay worked on this just a tiny bit more.  I also rendered each element in png pormat so that when I add the snow etc. I can add it in between elements.  I need to work on the depth of field to push the mountains back and blur them a bit.  i could do it in photoshop easy enough but I want to learn dof and more about cameras.  So far I have only been using the main viewport.  I need to go read through the dof thread from Sept I think it was?  It was the month before I started doing these.  Will be using Kath's hair brushes on teh wolves to tidy them up a bit and make the hair not quite so wispy. Still need footprints and to make indents where their feet are.  Will probably add some rocks etc to break up the ground but will have to do that in photo shop since I dont think I have any actual stones in my runtime at the moment.  Might give Hexagon a run to make some boulders and see what happens. I still feel like its missing ... something lol.  And the mountain is far too white compared to the rest.  Not sure if dof will help that or not.

This is coming along nicely, Sonja.  I really want to see how you do the snow.  If possible, try adding some depressions for footprints, too.  I think that would look nice.  If you think the snow on the mountain is too white, try finding that surface on the mountain and just click on the color base and use the arrow on the slider to just tone it down a notch. 

Joe Webb said:

Well, there is certainly a lot to absorb in this thread, things move fast.

Here is my first try. Years ago I had written a role playing adventure featuring Santa Claus in the far future, so here he is in his red space suit. I love AntFarms Heavy Mech, and was reading about Santa's traditional companions (Krampus featured in that horror movie, farmer Rupert, the Devil, etc.), so I added the Mech as his "companion". And I threw in the Starship Vampire to make it clearer Santa is in a space suit.

Interesting concept, Joe.  Looks promising.

Joe Webb said:

There are some obvious problems, like his beard in the suit. Another is the way his pointing hand nearly disappears as it is straight at the camera. And the placement of the ship; I may replace it with something else, or set the whole scene in space - somehow.

First is the base render, with no background. The second I've gone over it a little with some of those great Deviny Winter Collection brushes.

Any critique or suggestion is welcome.

EDIT: I forgot to add I was thinking of adding some texture to the spacesuit, it looks so clean, but not sure if that would be worth it if its going to be covered by snow flakes. I could just make the image a portrait and put Santa right up next to the Mech, so the texture of the suit would show up.

I think adding in some grunge will still add to the dimension of the piece even if you can't see it that well.  Ron's brushes are great and if you have the grunge one even better.  Otherwise there are some nice grunge shaders in the store. 

If you need to go the free route, I found these brushes on ShareCG.  I don't know how good they are.  Or if you are good with the shader baker, I suppose you could make your own shader, but I haven't played with that much so I don't even know how difficult something like that would be.  I think a spotlight highlighting each individual character would add some dimension.  Especially, the robot since he is so dark as he almost blends into the scenery.  I like what you have so far, though, Joe.

Shinji Ikari 9th - I actually like the one with the girl.  I agree about the pipe being in a bad position.  The camera angle you have now works better.  I'm not sure which building prop you are using.  If it isn't too big, maybe you can use a deformer and kind of nudge towards the outside of the building.  I don't know if it would help, but that is what I would try.  Her outfit looks a little one dimensional and she kind of fades into the background.  If you want her there fine, if not, I would try to find an outfit like his with varying shades of black or grey.  Looking better, though, IMO.

lucasdestoop - I'm not even sure what to say about the zombie and dragon.  I can say that I'll be interested to see where you go with this one.

Everyone's renders look promising.

Okay, after a couple of crashes I finally managed to render the attached scene.  I will decide if I need more trees once I've added a few other elements like some animals.  I've come up with a couple of stumbling blocks and I'll have to see about PMing the AM and Marshian as I'm having trouble adding textures to their products.  I can't quite get the Above the Fog to looks more like snow.  So far, this is as close as I've gotten it.  I have my snow texture on the ground cover under the fog and you can see it popping up where the fog in below the ground level or where the fog is particularly thin.  I haven't figured out how to put the texture actually on the fog itself.  I'll have to ask to see if that is even possible.  I also can't get the snow on the cabin to show my texture.  No matter what texture I put in the surface settings, it only shows the snow that comes with the product.  Which isn't bad, I just wanted all of the snow to kind of match.  I'll have to ask AM about that one.

I think the picture as a whole is starting to come together.  I still need to add some elements, but I'm liking what I have so far.

Lovely work with the snowy trees, it really comes together with them. Some ideas, I feel it would look more interesting if there was coming light from the window, maybe even turn the hut a little more so we see more of the window, probably as well try to move the window to one of your sweet spots on the grid. another little add would be smoke coming from the chimney

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    Linwelly said:
    TreeDee said:

I have added rain and bumped up the window emission and that's hidden any pixelation :) Still not happy with the rain but here's my latest. Am thinking I may have to do some postwork for the rain.

I actually like the blur you're getting with the rain.  I think it is coming along nicely.  There are also some nice reflections on the ground water going on as well.

Okay worked on this just a tiny bit more.  I also rendered each element in png pormat so that when I add the snow etc. I can add it in between elements.  I need to work on the depth of field to push the mountains back and blur them a bit.  i could do it in photoshop easy enough but I want to learn dof and more about cameras.  So far I have only been using the main viewport.  I need to go read through the dof thread from Sept I think it was?  It was the month before I started doing these.  Will be using Kath's hair brushes on teh wolves to tidy them up a bit and make the hair not quite so wispy. Still need footprints and to make indents where their feet are.  Will probably add some rocks etc to break up the ground but will have to do that in photo shop since I dont think I have any actual stones in my runtime at the moment.  Might give Hexagon a run to make some boulders and see what happens. I still feel like its missing ... something lol.  And the mountain is far too white compared to the rest.  Not sure if dof will help that or not.

This is coming along nicely, Sonja.  I really want to see how you do the snow.  If possible, try adding some depressions for footprints, too.  I think that would look nice.  If you think the snow on the mountain is too white, try finding that surface on the mountain and just click on the color base and use the arrow on the slider to just tone it down a notch. 

Joe Webb said:

Well, there is certainly a lot to absorb in this thread, things move fast.

Here is my first try. Years ago I had written a role playing adventure featuring Santa Claus in the far future, so here he is in his red space suit. I love AntFarms Heavy Mech, and was reading about Santa's traditional companions (Krampus featured in that horror movie, farmer Rupert, the Devil, etc.), so I added the Mech as his "companion". And I threw in the Starship Vampire to make it clearer Santa is in a space suit.

Interesting concept, Joe.  Looks promising.

Joe Webb said:

There are some obvious problems, like his beard in the suit. Another is the way his pointing hand nearly disappears as it is straight at the camera. And the placement of the ship; I may replace it with something else, or set the whole scene in space - somehow.

First is the base render, with no background. The second I've gone over it a little with some of those great Deviny Winter Collection brushes.

Any critique or suggestion is welcome.

EDIT: I forgot to add I was thinking of adding some texture to the spacesuit, it looks so clean, but not sure if that would be worth it if its going to be covered by snow flakes. I could just make the image a portrait and put Santa right up next to the Mech, so the texture of the suit would show up.

I think adding in some grunge will still add to the dimension of the piece even if you can't see it that well.  Ron's brushes are great and if you have the grunge one even better.  Otherwise there are some nice grunge shaders in the store. 

If you need to go the free route, I found these brushes on ShareCG.  I don't know how good they are.  Or if you are good with the shader baker, I suppose you could make your own shader, but I haven't played with that much so I don't even know how difficult something like that would be.  I think a spotlight highlighting each individual character would add some dimension.  Especially, the robot since he is so dark as he almost blends into the scenery.  I like what you have so far, though, Joe.

Shinji Ikari 9th - I actually like the one with the girl.  I agree about the pipe being in a bad position.  The camera angle you have now works better.  I'm not sure which building prop you are using.  If it isn't too big, maybe you can use a deformer and kind of nudge towards the outside of the building.  I don't know if it would help, but that is what I would try.  Her outfit looks a little one dimensional and she kind of fades into the background.  If you want her there fine, if not, I would try to find an outfit like his with varying shades of black or grey.  Looking better, though, IMO.

lucasdestoop - I'm not even sure what to say about the zombie and dragon.  I can say that I'll be interested to see where you go with this one.

Everyone's renders look promising.

Okay, after a couple of crashes I finally managed to render the attached scene.  I will decide if I need more trees once I've added a few other elements like some animals.  I've come up with a couple of stumbling blocks and I'll have to see about PMing the AM and Marshian as I'm having trouble adding textures to their products.  I can't quite get the Above the Fog to looks more like snow.  So far, this is as close as I've gotten it.  I have my snow texture on the ground cover under the fog and you can see it popping up where the fog in below the ground level or where the fog is particularly thin.  I haven't figured out how to put the texture actually on the fog itself.  I'll have to ask to see if that is even possible.  I also can't get the snow on the cabin to show my texture.  No matter what texture I put in the surface settings, it only shows the snow that comes with the product.  Which isn't bad, I just wanted all of the snow to kind of match.  I'll have to ask AM about that one.

I think the picture as a whole is starting to come together.  I still need to add some elements, but I'm liking what I have so far.

Lovely work with the snowy trees, it really comes together with them. Some ideas, I feel it would look more interesting if there was coming light from the window, maybe even turn the hut a little more so we see more of the window, probably as well try to move the window to one of your sweet spots on the grid. another little add would be smoke coming from the chimney

I believe Knittingmommy already had planned to do the window light and chimney smoke. :)

Even as much as I hate winter, I think it's a great scenery. Using the fog as snow is really brilliant. However, there's a few spots where the fog still shows as fog. Most noticably around the base of the tree to the right. One could imagine that it's snow blowing in the wind, but the scene doesn't look windy at all so it's the one thing I feel are a bit off. Perhaps it could me remedied in postwork?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Ati said:

here's my latest two versions

With the original picture I immediately had a "story" in mind. The orange glow coming from a fire maybe, the man finding shelter in the run-down remains of a house for the night.

With modern technology added to it (tablet in the second new picture) I can no longer support this story in my mind, and need to find a new one. But I can't figure out what it would be yet.

The tablet would work if he is maybe a fighter on an alien planet.  They would bring tech gear with them but would still be on the ground in the trenches so to speak

• Since the last idea was going nowhere, I tried something else :). The idea here is to let her freeze. Titel : Frozen in time.

I used Ron's Winter Collection brushes in The Gimp. Needs more ice and snow

dancetest.jpg
    1200 x 1484 - 1M

Since the last idea was going nowhere, I tried something else :). The idea here is to let her freeze. Titel : Frozen in time.

That's a cool idea!  maybe you can make her lower body look like ice and have it creeping up.  Not sure if you could do that with a geo shell or if you would need to do it in photoshop or gimp.  Love the icecicles hanging off of her.

• Chohole said:

We moved up here 7 years ago, from south east England, where we didn't get a lot of snow. It snowed 3 weeks after we had moved in. This was taken our 2nd winter here, and as you can see I made it into a card.

We had a little snow a week or so back  but nothing serious yet 

I love Wales!  I am from England too originally... Birmingham.  I moved to California 25 years ago. laugh

• dHandle said:

Hi all.  I realize this will not be submitted for the competition, but I am still moving along with the tutorial from last month laugh 

I fixed the last remaining pokethroughs on the boots with DFormers, and worked on the SSS skin.  

HA!  I had (have?) every intention of continuing to work on this project from last month, too, but I got side tracked by that Star Wars project I started.  And I would really like to do something for this month's project as well.  Shees! Too many irons in the fire, and nothing to show for it...

I know what you mean! I really want to stay focused on learning new tools and techniques but I get sidetracked onto the themes of the competitions :-)
  • White RabbitWhite Rabbit Posts: 231
    edited December 2015

I had another idea for this months theme.  I wanted to experiment with Look at my Hair (or should that be, Look at my Hare?)  so, I now have myself an Arctic Hare, well, its actually the Giant Lapin of the Frozen Lands  wink  I need to add more to the scene, and work on the surfaces of her skin.  I would be happy with any feedback. 

Far left and right - 3Delight

Middle - Iray

rabbit_genesis_3delight.jpg
    600 x 450 - 212K
    rabbit_genesis_iray.jpg
    600 x 450 - 259K
    LAMH_Arctic_Rabbit_3Delight.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 472K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Since the last idea was going nowhere, I tried something else :). The idea here is to let her freeze. Titel : Frozen in time.

The icicles hanging from her arms are clever.  You have set, however, on her left arm near the bicep that is hanging at an angle...at least they appear to be.

Something about the ruins in the background are distracting me from your figure.  I cannot put my finger on exactly what is causing this.

I like the upward camera angle.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 2015

I had another idea for this months theme.  I wanted to experiment with Look at my Hair (or should that be, Look at my Hare?)  so, I now have myself an Arctic Hare, well, its actually the Giant Lapin of the Frozen Lands  wink  I need to add more to the scene, and work on the surfaces of her skin.  I would be happy with any feedback. 

Middle - Iray

I like the iray version in the middle and the 3DL version of the rabbit on the right.  The lighting is off on the version on the left.  It looks like there is too much light on the rabbit and not enough ambient light in the scene overall.

This really shows up when viewing the 3DL and iray versions beside each other.

Her pose needs some work.  If she is riding a bounding bunny she would be bracing herself so she didn't fall off.

The hair on your bunny looks very good.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I think the ruins in the background there needs to be Ice hanging from some of it to help it blend in more with the scene.

I think this is a fantastic render of winter!!!

All I have to do to get inspiration for this months challenge is step outside and look around to our frozen wonderland of Canadian woodlands.

edited December 2015

Okay this is really close I think.  I used LAMH and Kath's hair brushes for the wolves

Winter Wolves.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 900K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2015
    Linwelly said:

Yes, I do plan on adding those elements.  I still have to figure out if I'm doing the smoke during render or in postwork.  The light in the window will be in the next render.  It had to turn it up as it just wasn't bright enough.  I was thinking of moving the camera angle.  I'm still playing with possible views, but haven't decided on one yet.  I just left it in this view while I try to get all of the elements together.

isidorn said:
    I believe Knittingmommy already had planned to do the window light and chimney smoke. :)

Yep, good memory.  Coming soon to a render near you.  :)

isidorn said:

Even as much as I hate winter, I think it's a great scenery. Using the fog as snow is really brilliant. However, there's a few spots where the fog still shows as fog. Most noticably around the base of the tree to the right. One could imagine that it's snow blowing in the wind, but the scene doesn't look windy at all so it's the one thing I feel are a bit off. Perhaps it could me remedied in postwork?

Thank you.  I rarely have my brilliant moments, but when I do they are pretty good.  I'm actually thinking of adding a little wind and maybe some snow if I can't fix that.  Yeah, I saw that by the tree and it isn't really the look I was going for.  I'm still working on it, though.  Just had a to taka take a slight break from it when I had that inpiration for Novica's contest.  So, I'll be working on my winter cabin again once that is finished render it's current version.

White Rabbit - I like your hare!! I agree with Kismet as she always give such good advice.  I like the Iray version better, too.  You might want to look at her leg when you work on her pose.  It looks like it might be sunken into the hare and not in a good way.  I would try pulling some pictures off a Google search for riders, specifically bare back riders.  Try searching 'riding without a saddle', as well, as that will get more pleasure horse riding than the bucking bronco type.  Also, there are lots of pictures out there from this group, Ehcapa Bareback Riders, who are based out of Utah, I think.  They teach bareback riding.  I've seen some amazing pictures of their students even jumping bareback which I think is amazing.  Good start.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on

White rabbit that's pretty cool!  I agree about the pose, maybe lean her upper body forward a bit, many people on a fast moving horse are leaning forward to keep their balance.  Knittingmommy's idea to google is a good one. I like the Iray render better as well.  I don't generally use Iray so I don't have anything else intelligent to say about it at the moment other than it the best.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    >Okay this is really close I think.  I used LAMH and Kath's hair brushes for the wolves

That looks great Sonja! Only one thing I'm not quite sure about and that's the tree in the foreground. It's the only thing closer to "us" than the wolves, it's a different tree than the others and the only of it's kind and it's just a bare tree trunk. Putting in more trees would probably just clutter up the image, but changing that tree to the same type as the others could possibly be an idea?

White Rabbit, that's an excellent concept! It made me giggle when I saw it. And I agree with that the others have said.

• hi;

My name is PAPAJohn, fairly new at DAZ. I'm not sure if this is where I should enter the contest. attached is an example f what I learned using Bryce 7 Pro and DAZ 4.8. the Titles are "A New Morning" and Cinderella's Castle

I'm interested in opinions( or Sugestions)on how I'm doing.

my email is [email protected]                                                                           Thank Y'all

A New Morning_edited.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 658K
    Untitled3.jpg
    858 x 563 - 634K
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,083

Haha, this is a funny one! :)

I think this version looks best. Although I do like the look of the one with teh rabbit only, too. Is the first one 3Delight? Strange, I usually like the looks of 3Delight better, but somehow in that image the background and the image look so different, as if they were two separate images.

edited December 2015

Okay this is really close I think.  I used LAMH and Kath's hair brushes for the wolves

It's funny how a little detail, like the falling snow can change the whole picture. I copmared this with the previous version, and this looks complately different. :) It's nice!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Hi PAPAJohn.   I am moving your post into the WIP thread

• I had another idea for this months theme.  I wanted to experiment with LAMH so, I now have myself an arctic rabbit, well, its actually the Giant Lapin of the Frozen Lands  wink  I need to add more to the scene, and work on the surfaces of her skin.  I would be happy with any feedback. 

Middle - Iray

Middle - Iray

I like the iray version in the middle and the 3DL version of the rabbit on the right.  The lighting is off on the version on the left.  It looks like there is too much light on the rabbit and not enough ambient light in the scene overall.

This really shows up when viewing the 3DL and iray versions beside each other.

Her pose needs some work.  If she is riding a bounding bunny she would be bracing herself so she didn't fall off.

The hair on your bunny looks very good.

Thank you Kismet! Yes, I totally agree with you on all items mentioned.  The 3Delight version looks too dark and I will need to work on the lighting to brighten it in the right places.  

Yes, her pose looks off a bit.  She is riding bareback so she would need to be holding on pretty tightly like you would on a horse.  I was thinking of adding in a bit more action by having the bunny jumping over a fallen tree branch which might add more appeal maybe?  

• Linwelly said:

Yes, I do plan on adding those elements.  I still have to figure out if I'm doing the smoke during render or in postwork.  The light in the window will be in the next render.  It had to turn it up as it just wasn't bright enough.  I was thinking of moving the camera angle.  I'm still playing with possible views, but haven't decided on one yet.  I just left it in this view while I try to get all of the elements together.

isidorn said:

Yep, good memory.  Coming soon to a render near you.  :)

isidorn said:

Thank you.  I rarely have my brilliant moments, but when I do they are pretty good.  I'm actually thinking of adding a little wind and maybe some snow if I can't fix that.  Yeah, I saw that by the tree and it isn't really the look I was going for.  I'm still working on it, though.  Just had a to taka take a slight break from it when I had that inpiration for Novica's contest.  So, I'll be working on my winter cabin again once that is finished render it's current version.

White Rabbit - I like your hare!! I agree with Kismet as she always give such good advice.  I like the Iray version better, too.  You might want to look at her leg when you work on her pose.  It looks like it might be sunken into the hare and not in a good way.  I would try pulling some pictures off a Google search for riders, specifically bare back riders.  Try searching 'riding without a saddle', as well, as that will get more pleasure horse riding than the bucking bronco type.  Also, there are lots of pictures out there from this group, Ehcapa Bareback Riders, who are based out of Utah, I think.  They teach bareback riding.  I've seen some amazing pictures of their students even jumping bareback which I think is amazing.  Good start.

Thank you Knittingmommy!  I really appreciate the feedback from you guys!  Yes, totally agree!  The leg is sunken in way too far as you say.  Great idea for getting some bareback rider reference from the Web!  Its not easy at all trying to get the pose to look right as I found out.  

I was suprised with how the Iray version came out.. not bad.  I will need to do some work on the 3Delight lighting as mentioned.  Thanks again.

• Ati said:

I think this version looks best. Although I do like the look of the one with teh rabbit only, too. Is the first one 3Delight? Strange, I usually like the looks of 3Delight better, but somehow in that image the background and the image look so different, as if they were two separate images.

Thank you Ati!  laugh  Yes, the first is the 3Delight render.  The Iray version seems to meld together everthing so it looks more uniform as you mentioned.  I did try Lux too but it crashes every time I try rendering?  Maybe its a known issue?

Ati said:

Thank you Ati!  laugh  Yes, the first is the 3Delight render.  The Iray version seems to meld together everthing so it looks more uniform as you mentioned.  I did try Lux too but it crashes every time I try rendering?  Maybe its a known issue?

I love so much that you keep up with the rabbits, I have two at home and thei are so funny, always makes me happy to see them.

So, yes the iray looks best for now as the colours are most fitting, there are ways to achieve this in 3dlight as well, question is, will you keep up with both? What I miss are the rabbit teeth, If there are none with the model i would close the mouth.

PAPAJohn said:

hi;

My name is PAPAJohn, fairly new at DAZ. I'm not sure if this is where I should enter the contest. attached is an example f what I learned using Bryce 7 Pro and DAZ 4.8. the Titles are "A New Morning" and Cinderella's Castle

I'm interested in opinions( or Sugestions)on how I'm doing.

my email is [email protected]                                                                           Thank Y'all

Welcome PapaJohn, here in the WIP thread you will get comments and hints for improvement on your renders, they will appear in this thread as well (please don't post email addresses open in the forum, it invite the spambots)

you made an interesting start: the reflections in the window are looking good and the things behind the window are still seen. I think there is even a bit much going on in your render, maybe reduce the complexity of the city outside. then maybe think of applying the thirds rule. In Daz ther ist a grid in yellow lines that indicates where people expect to see the most interesting parts of the render, we call the places whre they cross sweet spots and it helps to put the most interestin parts of a render on those spots.

The same is true for your nice Pumpkin coach render, maybe you could say which renderer (iray or 3dlight, or is this another program entirely?) you used on that so we might help to reduce the gritty spots

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2015

Okay, latest render.  I stopped it before it finished, but ran it long enough to see how new elements were going.  I think I like the light in the window.  Was trying to go for reflections from a fire in the fireplace kind of lighting.  I won't know for sure until I let it run to the end.  I tried the Blowin' in the Wind Tool.  I've had it for awhile, but hadn't played with it yet.  I don't really like the snow flakes as they are too large.  I will have to play with it more.  I am going to have to change the cabin's position though or fill in that landscaping in the background that is just bare.  I would just expand out the 'fog' layer, but I'm afraid I might stretch out my resources.  We'll see if I crash again.  Getting that extra 16GB of memory is looking more and more like a must have buy in the near future as my current 16 GB is pushing it's limits since I'm running Iray on a CPU only system.  I am going to take out the snow and render out a non snow scene and see what I can do with Gimp and Ron's Magical Snow brushes.  I bought the Winter Bundle awhile back so I have all of the winter brushes and I'm slowly getting better at using brushes.  While I'm in there I'll add smoke in the chimney because so far I haven't really liked anything I've tried for the chimney smoke yet.  I do still have a couple of more products to try, though, so one never knows.

WinterCabin07.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 1M
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on

Okay, latest render.  I stopped it before it finished, but ran it long enough to see how new elements were going.  I think I like the light in the window.  Was trying to go for reflections from a fire in the fireplace kind of lighting.  I won't know for sure until I let it run to the end.  I tried the Blowin' in the Wind Tool.  I've had it for awhile, but hadn't played with it yet.  I don't really like the snow flakes as they are too large.  I will have to play with it more.  I am going to have to change the cabin's position though or fill in that landscaping in the background that is just bare.  I would just expand out the 'fog' layer, but I'm afraid I might stretch out my resources.  We'll see if I crash again.  Getting that extra 16GB of memory is looking more and more like a must have buy in the near future as my current 16 GB is pushing it's limits since I'm running Iray on a CPU only system.  I am going to take out the snow and render out a non snow scene and see what I can do with Gimp and Ron's Magical Snow brushes.  I bought the Winter Bundle awhile back so I have all of the winter brushes and I'm slowly getting better at using brushes.  While I'm in there I'll add smoke in the chimney because so far I haven't really liked anything I've tried for the chimney smoke yet.  I do still have a couple of more products to try, though, so one never knows.

Normally, I would say the house positioning is not optimal (door looking so much to the very left), but with these trees, my focus shifts to them, instead of the house. I love these trees. Where are they from? How did you add the snow? (I love the trees so much, I didn't even notice the glow in the window till you mentioned it.)

The snowflakes look totally out of place for me though.

Without the snowflakes, I would put something in the far left corner, and call it done.

It's coming along really well!

• h_habashh_habash Posts: 230

I'm working in this new scene which I've been working on it for some days adding effects and tweaking them here and there, and still under construction. for this render decided to stop it at 77% where I've noticed there is some couple of things missing or not right in it, one of the thing is the rain I will adjust the spread of the rain to the whole scene instead of the them falling mostly at the far back laugh, and another thing is the light and the water in the street I'll take care of them also.

Any way here's what I did so far.

Winter - Bus Stop with Rain and Water - 1.jpg
    784 x 632 - 376K
  • Linwelly said:
    Ati said:

I love so much that you keep up with the rabbits, I have two at home and thei are so funny, always makes me happy to see them.

So, yes the iray looks best for now as the colours are most fitting, there are ways to achieve this in 3dlight as well, question is, will you keep up with both? What I miss are the rabbit teeth, If there are none with the model i would close the mouth.

Hi Linwelly! laugh  Thank you for the feedback. That's great that you have rabbits!  Three rabbits here... Franky, Chester, and Wilson.  I love all the bunnies, but I lost my lovely Baxter last June. He was awesome!  

I would like to keep up with both versions, Iray and 3Delight but it gets tough to keep them both the same with the changes other than textures, and surfaces.  I will try though I think.  Yep, I agree about the rabbits teeth.  The rabbits teeth are there, but they are small.  I will likely need to close his mouth.  

• White RabbitWhite Rabbit Posts: 231
    edited December 2015

This Iray render just finished.  I have made some changes based on feedback and my own.  I saved off the fur as an .OBJ and applied the Iray Uber Base Shader.  Now the strands of fur stand out.  I closed the rabbit's mouth as the teeth are not correct (as mentioned by Linwelly).  To add more appeal I added a fallen tree branch for the Hare to negotiate.  I changed the rabbits pose accordingly and the rider although I am still finished with that yet. I decided to have her hang on to the rabbits fur.  I gave a slight squint to the eye as this is more realistic with the rabbit in motion. Also added DOF.

I have a question regarding the Genesis skin surface (I used V5 for the rider).  I am thinking that Genesis (V5) skin is not setup for Iray of course but should I use the same technique that we used in the SSS tutorial last month from Age of Armour?  I am unsure about this?  I was also wondering whether to switch out Genesis with GF2 or maybe even GF3?  Although the rider is quite far away to see much detail.  

Thats a little strange?  I see some polys extending from the head of the rabbit.. just thin streaks!  This was after exporting the OBJ in LAMH.  Has anyone seen that kind of problem before?  It looks like the hair went a little crazy and needs clipping surprise  

Thanks again!

bunny_iray.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 588K
    Post edited by White Rabbit on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

This is my type of winter scene :)

Click on image for full size.