January 2024 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Composition, Instancing, & Duplication

Comments

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,879

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Linwelly! smiley I'm off to try everything! LOL Thank you! heart

• suffo85suffo85 Posts: 160
    edited January 20

Iray can be used with or without nVidia.  I would assume the post denoiser built into Daz Studio would work as well.  I'm not really sure why it wouldn't since CPU fallback/rendering is a thing.  Me assuming things can sometimes have a bad outcome though.  TRIAL BY FIRE!  Ah, don't ask.  You'd think I'd have learned not to ever assume anything by now?  Naa, life would be too boring.

Only mentioning it since it didn't look like anyone else had, and as far as simplicity goes you really don't get anything more simple then two clicks to turn it on.  I like simple solutions, doesn't necessarily mean it's the best or most optimized solution, but it has denoised anything I ever rendered that turned up with noise in it (mostly from rendering on my old laptop when I first began my Daz journey and couldn't even get the housecat to render on my half built new system...ah, don't ask...lmao).

I'm still Jon Snow when it comes to Daz Studio. (Okay by now I might know a little bit.  But still mostly nothing.  Yup.  Nothing.)

These guys all know a lot more, so I'm sure the Intel denoiser is certainly worth checking out.  But you can always try the built in denoiser for (hopefully), a quick fix.  Turning it on is in the Iray Render settings, you captured the setting in your second or third screenshot.

Another thing I don't think I saw mentioned was image editor filters.  But in my case I'm specifically referring to Gimp's denoise filter.  I don't use Photoshop so I wouldn't be able to say whether or not Photoshop does denoising "out-of-the-box," but it probably does.  In Gimp (open source and free), it's under the Filters menu, then Enhance, then Noise Reduction.  I have never had to use it so can't say whether it's worth trying or not, but since I know it's there it would be something I attempted before other routes.

Whatever works the best for you, and gives you the desired results you're looking for. :) 

I hope you submit your project to this month's contest.  Extra points for the daz house cat being in it!  Kek. :)

Post edited by suffo85 on
  • ElorElor Posts: 736

suffo85 said:

Iray can be used with or without nVidia.  I would assume the post denoiser built into Daz Studio would work as well.  I'm not really sure why it wouldn't since CPU fallback/rendering is a thing.  Me assuming things can sometimes have a bad outcome though.  TRIAL BY FIRE!  Ah, don't ask.  You'd think I'd have learned not to ever assume anything by now?  Naa, life would be too boring.

Sorry, I was not trying to imply that the denoiser included with Daz Studio would not work without an Nvidia GPU.

Having said that, I think that one created to work with a CPU could work better on a CPU than the Nvidia one fallbacking to CPU, but yes, it requires a bit more work to set it up.

edited January 20

Elor said:

Sorry, I was not trying to imply that the denoiser included with Daz Studio would not work without an Nvidia GPU.

Having said that, I think that one created to work with a CPU could work better on a CPU than the Nvidia one fallbacking to CPU, but yes, it requires a bit more work to set it up.

Nothing to apologize for! :)  I only wanted to offer some alternatives.  I had forgotten to mention that rendering time would more than likely increase from using the built in denoiser since it's working during the actual rendering process, and the person asking is already dealing with some pretty long render times.  CPU rendering isn't really optimal but for some is adequate and all they need. :)

The Intel denoiser being aimed specifically at the intel architecture would certainly do a better job at denoising versus something nVidia made for their GPU lineup.  The post denoiser in the Iray settings is, while not certain (though nVidia does reference it on their site), an nVidia love child and not a Daz3d product so it's specifically aimed at GPUs rather than more of a generic denoiser like I would think is in Photoshop or Gimp.  My making more assumptions.

My comment about Iray working with or without nVidia was more or less just saying my thought process out loud which is largely unnecessary, just a bad habit I can't seem to break and constantly has me editing anything I write.  My apologies if that came out wrong or seemed to target you, as that really wasn't intentional. :)

For a moment I thought this might be one of the rare posts I never edit.  Sure sure...**edits up above somewhere** gah.  lol.  Terrible at public speaking on any medium....

• Actually the AI denoiser does requier an nVidia GPU, and a chunk of memory on the GPU in addition to the bare render. This is also true of the newer completion measure, which again needs the AI cores of an actual nVidia GPU and doesn't support emulation on the CPU.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

just to add some thoughts on the otpion to use a denoiser

it is ertainly a tool to try as well but personally I rather see that (independent on which one you might want to use) as a last resort, the first aim, and that's where we want to help you get here in the new user challenge, is to get the image done the way you want it with the render tools available.

As well and again peronal perspective is that the denoiser often creates an oilified feel to the image I don't like very much. I never tested the AI version but from the ones I know the gimp one offers the best results so far

edited January 21

Hey everyone! Sorry I didn't get back to you all! I have had my hands in several pots the last couple days! smiley I'm getting back to this now, though and will return with an update. Thanks for all the help! heart Btw... are we permitted to enter more than once by chance? I got another idea in the midst of doing this first one. LOL

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
    edited January 22

I think  I should stop now. I've tried 3 times to post this thing.... maybe it's a sign from the universe to give up. indecision

JasmineSkunk said:

I think  I should stop now. I've tried 3 times to post this thing.... maybe it's a sign from the universe to give up. indecision

from your question above, yes you can enter two images per month for the New user challenge, and don't give up yet

it might be the forum is acting up again, you can try to post the image on the gallery and then add the image link to your post. And remember when you try to put the image inside the post you first need to attach it and then reopen the post and add the image link from the attachment and keep the attachment in place

Okay...

Gonna give this another go... though I'm not at all confident! LOL

The first image is a screenshot of my scene. The 2nd on is the actual render, and the last one is my submission.

CONTEST: Intermediate

TITLE: Dey All Want Me Booty

INSTANCED ITEMS:

Palm Trees - Kings Cottage and Iray Worlds : https://www.daz3d.com/kings-cottage-and-iray-worlds

Grass - Kings Cottage and Iray Worlds : https://www.daz3d.com/kings-cottage-and-iray-worlds

M3 Skeletons:  https://www.daz3d.com/v3-m3-skeletons-upgrade-from-skeleton

Coins - Charmed : https://www.daz3d.com/charmed

Birds - Daz Crow: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-crow

ADDITIONAL ASSETS:

DAZ Studio Iray HDR Outdoor Environments - https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-iray-hdr-outdoor-environments

Genesis 2 Female: https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-female

Monsterina Character: https://www.daz3d.com/monsterina

Adrian Hair: https://www.daz3d.com/adrian-hair-and-beard-for-genesis-3-male-s

Lady Scarlett: https://www.daz3d.com/lady-scarlett-for-genesis-2-female-s

Cinderpanties (shorts): https://www.daz3d.com/cinderella-ball-gown-for-genesis-2-female-s

Effortless V5 Poses: https://www.daz3d.com/effortless-v5-poses

VTC Treasure Chest - Holiday PA Gift 2023 from Valery3D (currently unavailable)

DAG Gun - dForce Dark Assassin for Genesis 9: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-dark-assassin-for-genesis-9

Lorelei Necklace: https://www.daz3d.com/lorelei-mertail-for-genesis-2-female-s

Mermaid Statue and Plate: https://www.daz3d.com/i13-visions-of-the-past

Royal Crown - Crowns for Genesis: https://www.daz3d.com/crowns-for-genesis

BootyScreen.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 433K
    BootyFinal.png
    800 x 1120 - 1M
    BootyFinalFinal01.png
    800 x 1120 - 1M
    edited January 22

smiley Did I do it right?

• chrisvnchrisvn Posts: 0

I just comming in New user of daz , But what i can tel is just very nice !! hope to are able to do this !!!

I guess I didn't do it right...It dissappeared! LOL Oh well, I tried! 

Hi chrisvn! You can do it! smiley

edited January 22

Well... I decided to calibrate my monitor... surprise

My image no longer looks anything like I thought... LOL cheeky

JasmineSkunk said:

it's there in the attachments, that's good enough for us, well done! I really like the DOF you used and the feeling of a breeze you managed to bring into the scene.

And yes calibrating monitors can make a drastic change

chrisvn said:

I just comming in New user of daz , But what i can tel is just very nice !! hope to are able to do this !!!

Welcome to the New User Challenge, this is a great place to start and ask all the questions you might have.

Linwelly said:

JasmineSkunk said:

it's there in the attachments, that's good enough for us, well done! I really like the DOF you used and the feeling of a breeze you managed to bring into the scene.

And yes calibrating monitors can make a drastic change

LOL... I thought I had made a MUCH warmer image! It actually looks very "cool" and purple instead of warm and "golden" like I thought! LOL... Oh well... cheeky

edited January 24

Richard Haseltine said:

Actually the AI denoiser does requier an nVidia GPU, and a chunk of memory on the GPU in addition to the bare render. This is also true of the newer completion measure, which again needs the AI cores of an actual nVidia GPU and doesn't support emulation on the CPU.

Thanks for clarifying.  I didn't know the post denoiser was actually the nVidia AI denoiser, which made me do a little digging up more info on it as I have some curiousity towards AI related things.  It still seems to work on my old laptop, but my old laptop does have an nVidia GPU in it.

Off topic from the denoiser, I've been having a problem with disabling camera constraints in Daz.  It leads me to believe I may be trying to do it wrong, but anytime I try to disable the option it just automatically turns itself back on.  It seems to indicate it's disabled but if I were to edit anything in render settings after disabling it, it just re-enables itself without any interaction.  Does anyone know if that is normal behavior in Daz or am I going about disabling the constraints incorrectly? 

For example if I disable camera constraints it's usually because I want to use a custom resolution that's not predefined in the drop down menu.  So I'll turn camera restraints off and edit my resolution to be what I'd like it to be, but the very moment I edit one value of the two (height or width), it automatically sets the other value to correspond with the value I just edited (to maintain aspect ratio), and automatically re-enables camera restraints.  I had a separate post about it a few weeks ago asking for help, nobody answered.  Well, one person did, who merely suggested to disable my camera restraints which was something I said I already tried to do.  It wasn't a well worded post as I was having a little difficulty explaining the problem and anyone who read it likely thought I was confused haha.

That particular post was about using custom resolutions which given as much time as I've had since I made the post I still haven't been able to figure out.  Daz always tries to change one of the two values to maintain aspect ratio and doesn't appear to let me make my own aspect ratio or set my own resolution.  So I mean, is it possible to render in Daz using really weird resolutions that don't conform to normal aspect ratios?  To me camera restraints don't deal too much with resolution and aspect ratio but is more like the distance one can scroll in on an object or zoom out so I'm not even sure if camera restraints are related to what I'm trying to do.  It was something I had tried when I was attempting to get a custom resolution and aspect ratio to work because by default my camera restraints already appear to be disabled (if it's in fact how close you can scroll/zoom out).  I had considered the camera restraint option may mean restraining the aspect ratio and resolution to the pre-defined ones in the drop down menu though and when trying to disable them have noticed I can't, lol, or I'm doing it the wrong way...

TLDR: A project I'm trying to do requires a lot of renders in a 16:3 aspect ratio.  I can't set that ratio in Daz Studio.  Is it possible or am I doing it wrong?

edited January 24

suffo85 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Actually the AI denoiser does requier an nVidia GPU, and a chunk of memory on the GPU in addition to the bare render. This is also true of the newer completion measure, which again needs the AI cores of an actual nVidia GPU and doesn't support emulation on the CPU.

Thanks for clarifying.  I didn't know the post denoiser was actually the nVidia AI denoiser, which made me do a little digging up more info on it as I have some curiousity towards AI related things.  It still seems to work on my old laptop, but my old laptop does have an nVidia GPU in it.

Off topic from the denoiser, I've been having a problem with disabling camera constraints in Daz.  It leads me to believe I may be trying to do it wrong, but anytime I try to disable the option it just automatically turns itself back on.  It seems to indicate it's disabled but if I were to edit anything in render settings after disabling it, it just re-enables itself without any interaction.  Does anyone know if that is normal behavior in Daz or am I going about disabling the constraints incorrectly? 

For example if I disable camera constraints it's usually because I want to use a custom resolution that's not predefined in the drop down menu.  So I'll turn camera restraints off and edit my resolution to be what I'd like it to be, but the very moment I edit one value of the two (height or width), it automatically sets the other value to correspond with the value I just edited (to maintain aspect ratio), and automatically re-enables camera restraints.  I had a separate post about it a few weeks ago asking for help, nobody answered.  Well, one person did, who merely suggested to disable my camera restraints which was something I said I already tried to do.  It wasn't a well worded post as I was having a little difficulty explaining the problem and anyone who read it likely thought I was confused haha.

That particular post was about using custom resolutions which given as much time as I've had since I made the post I still haven't been able to figure out.  Daz always tries to change one of the two values to maintain aspect ratio and doesn't appear to let me make my own aspect ratio or set my own resolution.  So I mean, is it possible to render in Daz using really weird resolutions that don't conform to normal aspect ratios?  To me camera restraints don't deal too much with resolution and aspect ratio but is more like the distance one can scroll in on an object or zoom out so I'm not even sure if camera restraints are related to what I'm trying to do.  It was something I had tried when I was attempting to get a custom resolution and aspect ratio to work because by default my camera restraints already appear to be disabled (if it's in fact how close you can scroll/zoom out).  I had considered the camera restraint option may mean restraining the aspect ratio and resolution to the pre-defined ones in the drop down menu though and when trying to disable them have noticed I can't, lol, or I'm doing it the wrong way...

TLDR: A project I'm trying to do requires a lot of renders in a 16:3 aspect ratio.  I can't set that ratio in Daz Studio.  Is it possible or am I doing it wrong?

I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly but I will try,

so to achieve a certain aspect ration you have two setting options, the easier one is in the render settings under general and this will take effect on all careras you use in the scene

16:3 certainly is unusual so in that setting you need to deactivate the contraint proportions (global ) and then enter the aspect you want to have after that you need to turn the contrain proportions back on again and set the pixel sise in the field above, now the secons pixel size should automatically follow according to your aspect ratio settings

alternatively if you want only once camera to have the new setting you select your camera in the camera tab and under dimensions you need to switch the "use loal dimensions" to on, now this camers will operate in its own realm and a similar field as in the render settings will pop open where you follow the same procedure

contrain proportions to off

enter new aspect ratio

contrain proportions on

adjust pixel size to the desired number

you can even safe that if you want

sorry for the crappy writing in the images but I hope this helps. if you meant other setting maybe you can add a screenshot of which ones you intend to change so we can help a bit better

Screenshot 2024-01-24 09.09.08.png
    1657 x 608 - 146K
    Screenshot 2024-01-24 09.13.24.png
    1656 x 730 - 165K
    Post edited by Linwelly on

Okay.... I'm trying to make sense of all that. Thanks, guys! smileyheart

edited February 2

Thanks Linwelly!  That's been driving me nuts.  It kept switching into like an ultra stretched out widescreen whenever I tried to 16:3 instead of maintaining the correct width.  I'll follow your instructions, and appreciate you taking the time to help me out. :)

I did a really poor job of explaining the issue haha

suffo85 said:

Thanks Linwelly!  That's been driving me nuts.  It kept switching into like an ultra stretched out widescreen whenever I tried to 16:3 instead of maintaining the correct width.  I'll follow your instructions, and appreciate you taking the time to help me out. :)

I did a really poor job of explaining the issue haha

Glad that I could be of help!

I came to see everyone's entries...  I don't know how to feel about having no competetors... indecision

JasmineSkunk said:

I came to see everyone's entries...  I don't know how to feel about having no competetors... indecision

some month are slower than others

This challenge is now closed

Linwelly said:

JasmineSkunk said:

So, what does it mean? Do I win by default?

JasmineSkunk said:

Linwelly said:

JasmineSkunk said:

you will see in due time wink

Linwelly said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Linwelly said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Okay. Sorry. Did I ask something I shouldn't? I am just trying to understand the rules. :)

JasmineSkunk said:

Linwelly said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Linwelly said:

JasmineSkunk said:

Okay. Sorry. Did I ask something I shouldn't? I am just trying to understand the rules. :)

No you didn't ask anything improper. I'm just saying that the how and why the showcases are selected will stay behind the mod walls, we need our little secrets as well

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819

January 2024

Showcased Participants for the January Composition Challenge

suffo85

Bastet's Muse

Showcased Participants for the January Instancing/Duplication Challenge

Shinji Ikari 9th

JasmineSkunk

Congratulations to all those spotlighted this month! heart