Any way to split a morph, like eyeballs

Is there a way to split a morph bringing in from ZBrush (or other modeling program)?  

One thing I have to say about Poser is that they have this code that if you go to the little fly out menu next to exch morph dial there is a way to split it.  I'm not talking about splitting a head and body morph but a X morph so one can use say a blink morph fully and a left and a right for winking or what have you.  IS there a way in DAZ Studio to accomplish this without having to jump through a million and one hoops?  

I'm suspecting it may be with morph loader pro but looked that over and can't see where that would be.  I have the full morph loaded in DS but made it for both eyes so need to split it.  

Thanks so much

Richard 

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,169
    edited November 2023

Morph Loader Pro,Attenuate by... option, a few ways there, by Influence Weight, Face Group, Surface or Selection Set freely defined by you...

Post edited by crosswind on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

There are no splits though for the head.  So I can't just select Left eye or Right eye in the Attenuate fly out menu!  crying

RAMWolff said:

There are no splits though for the head.  So I can't just select Left eye or Right eye in the Attenuate fly out menu!  crying

Oh, that'll be simple. You just use Geometry Editor to create two Selection Sets for Left Eye / Right Eye by using Region - Eyes (Alt + Marquee Selection to 100% unselect one side !, then save as selection set separately...). Then Attenuate by Selection Set...

SNAG-2023-11-26-0013.png
    1504 x 1246 - 639K
    SNAG-2023-11-26-0014.png
    1568 x 1397 - 650K

Thank you.  I just went ahead and created them in ZBrush so I have all three now.  Just need to remember how I get to those areas to drag and drop into the right lines to make each blink morph (full, left and right) work along with the main blink morph.  Sorry to be a pita I'm just SO RUSTY at all this.  Thanks for your help!  

RAMWolff said:

Thank you.  I just went ahead and created them in ZBrush so I have all three now.  Just need to remember how I get to those areas to drag and drop into the right lines to make each blink morph (full, left and right) work along with the main blink morph.  Sorry to be a pita I'm just SO RUSTY at all this.  Thanks for your help!  

No problem at all ~ and one reminder - well use Mask when fixing eyelids.wink

I'm still not sure what I do to get the blink morphs working.  SO I have the Property Hiearchy opened up and do I go to the figures blink dial's first and expand the controllers to add in the blink morphs for "both" and right and then left or do I go to the blink morphs property in the hiearchy and add in the blink in the first and then moprh into the secondary area?  I found a tutorial on YouTube by Sickle but she can get very technical sometimes so I realized that I didn't understand completly.  

Thanks for advice.  

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,371
    edited November 2023

Your question is hard to read.

You need to set Controllers for your blink morph correctives, one at a time.

1. import your two blink corrective morphs (one for L and one for R side) via morph loader or GoZ or whatever

2. Bring up your Left Blink Corrective morph in Property Heirarchy tab (you can put in 'Blink' in the Search bar field, assuming you called it something with blink in the name, or there is another shortcut to bring them up in Property Heirarchy via the Paramaters tab)

3. In Property Heirarchy tab, expand your Left Blink Corrective morph to view its controllers. It obviously won't have any yet because you havent set them up.

4. In the 1st Stage Controllers section, you need to set something logical to 'Control' automatically when your Left Blink Corrective will be dialled in. The obvious choice would be to use the standard left blink morph as a Controller.  i.e., so when you dial in the left blink morph for the figure, your character Left Blink Corrective morph will also be dialled in.

To put the figure's blink left morph as a Controller, you can - while in Edit Mode - drag-drop from the Paramater tab into the Property Heirarchy tab.

5. In the 2nd Stage Controller section, you can put your character head morph as the 2nd Stage Controller, using Multiply as the option.  This means when your character is not dialled in (0%) it will multiply your blink correctives by 0.  In other words, your character correctives are restricted to only load when relevant character morph active.

then repeat for Right Blink Corrective.

Post edited by lilweep on

RAMWolff said:

I'm still not sure what I do to get the blink morphs working.  SO I have the Property Hiearchy opened up and do I go to the figures blink dial's first and expand the controllers to add in the blink morphs for "both" and right and then left or do I go to the blink morphs property in the hiearchy and add in the blink in the first and then moprh into the secondary area?  I found a tutorial on YouTube by Sickle but she can get very technical sometimes so I realized that I didn't understand completly.  

Thanks for advice.  

Yeah, more or less the latter you mentioned is the go. I give you an example - I converted a G9 figure to G8 and fixed / created the Eye Blink corrective morphs... then step by step as attached.

SNAG-2023-11-27 0009.png
    2560 x 1400 - 561K
    SNAG-2023-11-27 0010.png
    2560 x 1400 - 612K

Thanks so much folks.  I'll give it a go.  You've been so helpful!  heart

RAMWolff said:

Thanks so much folks.  I'll give it a go.  You've been so helpful!  heart

No problem ~ take your time !yes

Grrrrrrr... my blink morphs will not go into ANY slots I try.  I've tried most of the controller slots once I put in the main left blink morph but any attempts to get my own corrective into the mix is met with an error message.  As you can see it clearly works as a morph as it's applied at 100% on Fuzzy but getting it over to the correct line won't go.  

See the screen grab.  I really hate this, really I DO! 

LBlink gives me errors.png
    1552 x 727 - 379K

RAMWolff said:

Grrrrrrr... my blink morphs will not go into ANY slots I try.  I've tried most of the controller slots once I put in the main left blink morph but any attempts to get my own corrective into the mix is met with an error message.  As you can see it clearly works as a morph as it's applied at 100% on Fuzzy but getting it over to the correct line won't go.  

I'm not so sure but I'm afraid you might've misunderstood the mechanism... You should use "Eye Blink" expression dials from Daz Originals + the corrective morphs you made with Zbrush to make Fuzzy's eyelids 100% closed... That's the SOP to work on a product level Character.

If "PABFuzzy_EyeBlink-L" and "PABFuzzy_EyeBlink-R" you created are the morphs that have already made Fuzzy's eyes fully close with no problem, you've just made "expression dials" rather than "corrective morphs".

If so, it's also doable (for the use of your own), then you just need to assign "PABFuzzy_EyeBlink" as the controller of "PABFuzzy_EyeBlink-L" and "PABFuzzy_EyeBlink-R"...

You know what I mean?

Hiya,  

NOPE, they are correctives.  I've done blink morphs before for my unreleased character Gino for G8.  

I was under the assumption that I would use the default blink R & L for Genesis 9 as the parent and then slave my blink morphs to that to get the eyes to close correctly... 

RAMWolff said:

Hiya,  

NOPE, they are correctives.  I've done blink morphs before for my unreleased character Gino for G8.  

I was under the assumption that I would use the default blink R & L for Genesis 9 as the parent and then slave my blink morphs to that to get the eyes to close correctly... 

Yippee, that'll be right yes, as the screenshots I attached above. 

edited November 2023

RAMWolff said:

but on your screenshot, it shows you do (correctly) have the gen9 left blink morph as stage 1 controller of your corrective.

So whats the problem? 

By the way, this is very simple process (should take like 2 minutes once you know what you are doing). So if you are taking long time/struggling it is clear you are misunderstanding or doing something wrong. Crosswind's diagram is very clear i thought

screenshot.JPG
    3103 x 1615 - 404K

Thank you both.  GOD I can be so dense at times!  LOL 

So another question.  How do I make all the bits and pieces work as one?  I have the inner mouth morph, the eyeball morph and the main character morph.  How do I create a dial so that when I dial up Fuzzy these other elements activate as well?  

Then I promise I'll leave you guys alone (maybe cheeky )

RAMWolff said:

Thank you both.  GOD I can be so dense at times!  LOL 

So another question.  How do I make all the bits and pieces work as one?  I have the inner mouth morph, the eyeball morph and the main character morph.  How do I create a dial so that when I dial up Fuzzy these other elements activate as well?  

No problem at all ~ At your service !

You use another way in Property Hierarchy: create a single control property for Fuzzy first, then assign those morphs to its Sub-Components - 1st Stage, like the attached shot~

SNAG-2023-11-29 0039.png
    1602 x 1396 - 300K

OK, thanks so much.  

Cloudfare took a dumb or I would have posted faster.

Watching Jay's tutorial on how to set up a controller for the eye morphs.  Seems when the default blink morph is set to zero Fuzzy's eyes are SO wide they look like they are popping out of his cute little head.  So I'll need to control the eye blink for him so this extreme fear look (LOL) doesn't happen!  Just not sure where that controller is

PS.  Sub Components >1st Stage has like a million and one entries when I expand it.  So when I added in the mouth and eyes it didn't do anything, as in the eyes and mouth didn't follow along with Fuzzy's shape.  SO I deleted those.  

RAMWolff said:

OK, thanks so much.  

Cloudfare took a dumb or I would have posted faster.

Watching Jay's tutorial on how to set up a controller for the eye morphs.  Seems when the default blink morph is set to zero Fuzzy's eyes are SO wide they look like they are popping out of his cute little head.  So I'll need to control the eye blink for him so this extreme fear look (LOL) doesn't happen!  Just not sure where that controller is

I've almost watched each clip from Jay when I started to learn DS... but not recently. Which one ? I can refresh my memory...

There should be no problem as long as you make all steps correctly. Was the "blink corrective morphs" you made based the figure with Eye Blink property dial 100%... and you import them back to DS with "Reverse Deformatoion" + "Delta Only" in Morph Loader Pro ?

RAMWolff said:

PS.  Sub Components >1st Stage has like a million and one entries when I expand it.  So when I added in the mouth and eyes it didn't do anything, as in the eyes and mouth didn't follow along with Fuzzy's shape.  SO I deleted those.  

Have you ever did an ERC Freeze on Fuzzy's single control property ? It seems that you must've done at least once.... 

Pls DO NOT ERC Freeze on a control dial, freeze on "morph dial" as needed. Like this - there should be 3 basic dials for Fuzzy: Fuzzy, Fuzzy Head, Fuzzy Body on a Base Genesis figure. ERC Freeze on the last two, never on the 1st one.

Here are Fuzzy's dials.  I followed Jay's tutorial on how to combine morphs to one dial using ERC but the strange thing is that the mouth is not added to the list so I have no way of knowing how I can add that to the mix. 

And yes, Fuzzy, as well as all my other custom morphs are all ERC'd so that the bones follow the shape properly!  :-) 

Fuzzy's Dials.png
    336 x 291 - 27K
    edited November 2023

RAMWolff said:

Here are Fuzzy's dials.  I followed Jay's tutorial on how to combine morphs to one dial using ERC but the strange thing is that the mouth is not added to the list so I have no way of knowing how I can add that to the mix. 

And yes, Fuzzy, as well as all my other custom morphs are all ERC'd so that the bones follow the shape properly!  :-) 

Okay, memory's been refreshed. But what he did was making a single Pose Control dial which is related to bones rotation, then using ERC Freeze to build the relations to bone rotations. It was a different thing. You should've ~~ as below

SNAG-2023-11-29 0055.png
    1064 x 835 - 192K
    edited November 2023

RAMWolff said:

I have the inner mouth morph, the eyeball morph and the main character morph.  How do I create a dial so that when I dial up Fuzzy these other elements activate as well?  

For gen 9 mouth and eyeball, they are fitted figures to Genesis 9, so they will have a hidden autogenerated autofollow morph on them for any morph dialled on the main character.

You can take advantage of this. If you make the name of your mouth corrective and eye corrective the exact same 'Name' as the character morph, then save them out, they will be autodialled in whenever the Genesis 9 character morph is dialled in on the main character.  

You dont need to use property heirarchy/subcomponents to control behaviour of autofollow morphs - Just make them the same 'name' as character morph.  Notice i am saying morph 'name' and not morph 'label'.

There are videos on youtube for Gen 9 eyes and mouth autofollow morphs. It is very common problem so solutions are written/recorded all over the place.

edited November 2023

That's right, as lilweep mentioned, no need to use Property Hierarchy if the dials are hidden "auto-followed" properties, 'cause they don't need to be ERC linked with PH.

That's kinda weird but if it works I'm not going to complain!  LOL 

edited November 2023

RAMWolff said:

That's kinda weird but if it works I'm not going to complain!  LOL 

Sad... So what's the problem on earth, on Fuzzy, by far?

BTW, you may try to create some new control properties for testing. I'm afraid there might be some problems on the existing ones that you created and freezed...

edited November 2023

OK, figured out why the ERC method wasn't working for the teeth.  I moved the teeth and eyes (as well as tear, eyelashes and eyebrow card) from the main figure so I guess ERC didn't "see" them but funnily the eyes were seen so that's kinda strange.  The morph works great now but I still need to figure out how to tamper down how much of Fuzzy's eyes from "over opening".  I looked all over to see how to limit the blink morph to open only to the 75% range.  At 100% range it's just too much.  I looked all over in the Property Hierarchy and just couldn't find a way to control that for the morph there but I was sure it's located there.... 

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited November 2023

RAMWolff said:

OK, figured out why the ERC method wasn't working for the teeth.  I moved the teeth and eyes (as well as tear, eyelashes and eyebrow card) from the main figure so I guess ERC didn't "see" them but funnily the eyes were seen so that's kinda strange.  The morph works great now but I still need to figure out how to tamper down how much of Fuzzy's eyes from "over opening".  I looked all over to see how to limit the blink morph to open only to the 75% range.  At 100% range it's just too much.  I looked all over in the Property Hierarchy and just couldn't find a way to control that for the morph there but I was sure it's located there.... 

That's great !

As for limitation, you may try to set Min - Max value in Parameter Settings of the dial(s) or use Attributes Type - ERC [Keyed] to define the keyed values in Property Hierarchy. However, you shouldn't have to do that, as TBH I'm still afraid that there might've been something wrong in the corrective morphs when you made/fix them with Zbrush.

As a tinker, I've ever fixed lots of pairs of eyeballs and eyelids (tiny, huge, real and toons...) for PHM, eJCM, cbs... whatever, I never had to set specific formulas to "control" them "open/close", just made them work in very standard ERC way(s), because all these corrective morphs should be only "delta" to the existing expression property dials. As long as "delta" is correctly made and set up, they'll work with no issue.

Pls DO further check or remake some corrective morphs to test.

edited November 2023

Hmmm, I don't think it's my morph.  I actually revised it to have the lids set to a more slightly relaxed look but I need the blink morphs to cooenside with that so they look right.  Right now.... see the screen shot...

Never mind.  NOW the eyes are open to the value they should be.  Not sure what changed.  Perhaps when I slaved the morphs together?  It's all very strange.  Not complaining but strange!  

Now he just needs fur.  

PAB Fuzzy-Shorts.png
    850 x 850 - 207K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on