Windows Update seems to have broken DAZ (as well as Photoshop and Hexagon)

Hello, I checked the more recent posts on here and haven't seen anyone else having this issue, so I apologize if someone else already posted a similar post. A few days ago, Windows did an update and after I restarted my pc, I opened Daz and started working on a scene I had already been working on prior to the update (Windows updated on it's own, I had no control over it) and not only did the scene crash 3 times, the 4th time it blue screened my computer. And not only that, the next day I was using Photoshop and it crashed too, which it has never done before and Hexagon keeps crashing as well. In the following days, Daz keeps consistently crashing at random times, even when just opening a folder to browse for things (such as importing an object or texture) and I don't even load anything, I just closed the folder as I didn't find what I was looking for and it just crashed. I also updated my Nvidia graphics card drivers, thinking that might be the issue, since it's only my 3D and 2D programs that are doing this (other stuff like my internet browser, notepad, wordpad, ect are not crashing), which made me think the update messed up my graphic card drivers (it's done that in the past). But that did not fix it and it's making me feel very defeated and not motivated to do anything with Daz anymore, since I can't get any work done and I'm scared that it will cause another blue screen and I can't afford a new pc if this breaks my computer. If anyone knows what might be going on, please help, thank you in advance.

Comments

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

You can also go to a pass restore point. Most windows updates create one before installing them. Use System Restore - Microsoft Support

• Thank you for your responses... To Richard, yes I did run that and it did find some missing files and said it fixed them, but I'm still having the same issues even after restarting the pc. And to Agitated Riot, I looked for that and it said there was no restore point.

edited April 2023

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features on the Click view updates, then you can uninstall the update.

Or Select the Start button, then select Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update  > View update history Uninstall updates.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • GUnit111GUnit111 Posts: 5

KixiePixie13 said:

Thank you for your responses... To Richard, yes I did run that and it did find some missing files and said it fixed them, but I'm still having the same issues even after restarting the pc. And to Agitated Riot, I looked for that and it said there was no restore point.

Run it again and again until it say it found no problems.  Then run (as administrator):

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  • GUnit111 and Richard, apparently I missed a step, because I only ran the system file checker and not the DISM part (since that's what my search on broken updates on google told me to do, I never read anything about DISM, but I have Windows 10, so I'm assuming that's something I should do then). But before I do that, I want to make sure that it won't reset my pc and mess up all my settings/uninstall programs or remove files, etc, becaue all of the information about it online is very confusing. I'm not that great with pc's, other than the 3D/2D programs, but when it comes to using command promt and all that, I go off of what the instructions tell me to do and I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. 

Agitated Riot, will it only uninstall recent updates or all of them?... since there's a very long list of updates spanning all the way back to 2021 and I only want to go back to before the more recent updates (a week ago about).

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

KixiePixie13 said:

GUnit111 and Richard, apparently I missed a step, because I only ran the system file checker and not the DISM part (since that's what my search on broken updates on google told me to do, I never read anything about DISM, but I have Windows 10, so I'm assuming that's something I should do then). But before I do that, I want to make sure that it won't reset my pc and mess up all my settings/uninstall programs or remove files, etc, becaue all of the information about it online is very confusing. I'm not that great with pc's, other than the 3D/2D programs, but when it comes to using command promt and all that, I go off of what the instructions tell me to do and I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. 

Agitated Riot, will it only uninstall recent updates or all of them?... since there's a very long list of updates spanning all the way back to 2021 and I only want to go back to before the more recent updates (a week ago about).

It will restore your computer to exactly how it was when you installed the updates. It won't delete personal files even if created after the installation of the updates. It will however remove any program that was installed after the update. DISM just scans for corrupt Windows files and if it finds any it will replace/repair them so there should be no worry about it removing any data/personal files. I usually back up my important stuff but it isn't necessary in this case, but it is a good habit to get into before doing any maintenance on the computer.

edited April 2023

KixiePixie13 said:

GUnit111 and Richard, apparently I missed a step, because I only ran the system file checker and not the DISM part (since that's what my search on broken updates on google told me to do, I never read anything about DISM, but I have Windows 10, so I'm assuming that's something I should do then). But before I do that, I want to make sure that it won't reset my pc and mess up all my settings/uninstall programs or remove files, etc, becaue all of the information about it online is very confusing. I'm not that great with pc's, other than the 3D/2D programs, but when it comes to using command promt and all that, I go off of what the instructions tell me to do and I want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. 

Go with the one at the top of the list. That should be the most recent. Yes, you can uninstall as many as it shows you. It will also show when they were installed.

• Okay, there are 2 methods that I'm seeing, so now I'm unsure which method would be the best route?... should I uninstall the most recent updates or attempt the DISM/system restore? 

KixiePixie13 said:

Okay, there are 2 methods that I'm seeing, so now I'm unsure which method would be the best route?... should I uninstall the most recent updates or attempt the DISM/system restore? 

Try the DISM/system restore first.

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn This applies to 10 and 11

• An update on what's going on: After doing the DISM and SFC, Daz wasn't fixed and neither was the rest of my pc because I got another blue screen and the pc crashed. So I looked up whether others are getting this issue, since this time Windows Explorer crahsed it, not even Daz or any 3d/2d program and yes, others are experiencing the exact same thing (blue screens and crashes). It's from the March update (I didn't restart my pc til recently, since I don't like it updating automatically, as this isn't the first time an update has broken my pc) and I uninstalled that specific update and restarted. So far things seem better, but then Windows reinstalled it and wants me to restart to finish re-updating it (and I know it's the same one because of the codename it has and it was complaining about missing an update). I'm trying to figure out how to stop this from updating completely (at least until the updates are fixed), since I really don't want Windows to kill my pc, it was very expensive and right now I'm completely broke. It's very frustrating that they force people to do these updates, when they aren't necessary, my pc was perfectly fine until this update and I thought the solution to just uninstall it would work, but didn't realize it'd just reinstall it. How do I stop that? 

edited April 2023

You can pause them. I think up to five weeks in the updates settings and check on pause.

How to stop automatic updates in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

• I can't that option is greyed out, it says I've used it too many times, except I've never even used that option before...and even then it's not a permanent fix unfortunately... I'm basically just prolonging my pc being broken... I've thought about contacting Windows, but I doubt that will work since the others who experienced this same issue said that Windows never got back to them and have yet to address it.... so it really seems like they don't care unfortunately. I'm at a loss.

They will not help. They will try and pass it on, and that's if you can understand them. I'm going on my 9th year in the insider program. They don't even seem to want to help us, either. Can you back up your Daz3d folders? If you can, you might have to reset your PC, which would fix the problems, If you go on this course. You can save all your files in pictures, documents, and music. On reset, check to keep my files. Then restore Daz—the bad thing is you might have to reinstall everything.

Make sure you read this to stop all updates. 

How to stop automatic updates in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Screenshot 2023-04-08 090547.png
    1213 x 337 - 65K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

KixiePixie13 said:

I can't that option is greyed out, it says I've used it too many times, except I've never even used that option before...and even then it's not a permanent fix unfortunately... I'm basically just prolonging my pc being broken... I've thought about contacting Windows, but I doubt that will work since the others who experienced this same issue said that Windows never got back to them and have yet to address it.... so it really seems like they don't care unfortunately. I'm at a loss.

There are ways to get around this and to permanently disable it or get the option back when it's greyed out (or to shut off auto-update permanently), but it either requires editing the Group Policy Editor, Registry Editor, Services Manager, or a 3rd party app. If you do any of the options save a restore point beforehand so you can undo it if it doesn't work or something gets screwed up. I did a Google search for the "pausing updates to windows 10 option is greyed out, it says I've used it too many times" and there are several options you can try. Most of them are repeated on several sites so they must be common. I've never tried any of them but if you try, do it at your own risk. There is one site that gives all of these options on the same page but I'm not gonna link to it. You will have to do the search and go to it because I personally don't like advising people to mess around with the registry. The one that offers all of the available options is pretty much the first result but not sure how it will turn up for you. Again, do so at your own risk, and be sure to back up.

frank0314 said:

KixiePixie13 said:

I can't that option is greyed out, it says I've used it too many times, except I've never even used that option before...and even then it's not a permanent fix unfortunately... I'm basically just prolonging my pc being broken... I've thought about contacting Windows, but I doubt that will work since the others who experienced this same issue said that Windows never got back to them and have yet to address it.... so it really seems like they don't care unfortunately. I'm at a loss.

There are ways to get around this and to permanently disable it or get the option back when it's greyed out (or to shut off auto-update permanently), but it either requires editing the Group Policy Editor, Registry Editor, Services Manager, or a 3rd party app. If you do any of the options save a restore point beforehand so you can undo it if it doesn't work or something gets screwed up. I did a Google search for the "pausing updates to windows 10 option is greyed out, it says I've used it too many times" and there are several options you can try. Most of them are repeated on several sites so they must be common. I've never tried any of them but if you try, do it at your own risk. There is one site that gives all of these options on the same page but I'm not gonna link to it. You will have to do the search and go to it because I personally don't like advising people to mess around with the registry. The one that offers all of the available options is pretty much the first result but not sure how it will turn up for you. Again, do so at your own risk, and be sure to back up.

This is why I didn't mention the regedit

• Agitated Riot, I don't want to reset my pc, while I do have everything backed up on a seperate HDD, I don't use Daz 4.20, I still use 4.11, because I don't trust the updated versions until they've been around for a while and so far I've seen some people say they had issues with 4.20, so I'm avoiding updating that for now. I unfortunately don't have a backup installer for 4.11 and I don't think there's a beta version of 4.20 at the moment to check it out first (at least that I'm aware of), so I'm not gonna risk not being able to roll back to 4.11 if 4.20 doesn't work. I guess all I can do is just not restart the pc and keep uninstalling it when it does update, not sure how many times it'll let me do that though and while my pc hasn't crashed since I uninstalled the update, if it does end up crashing again as a result of them automatically reinstalling it (I'm hoping it doesn't take effect until I restart though), then it's going to update automatically when the pc reboots. I'm not good with computers, so I don't trust myself to do anything that could break my pc if I do it wrong, so hopefully they'll maybe patch this and fix it in the next update and I won't have to constantly keep removing the update.

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Hi KixiePixie13,

I have experienced  a somehow different, but also related to windows update effect. -> https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/625231/application-reaction-dramatically-delaied
    But no reaction over here so far from the community.

On my side it is strange, that the problem disappears after system deadlocks and re-appears again only after windows updates. No idea what win-process collides with DAZ. crying
    No anomalias noticable in the DAZ log files.

Andy

• Andy, when did you start noticing your issue? The update that messed my (and many others) pc up was in March, which is when your post is dated. I don't know if yours has been going on much longer than that, but if it got worse after March, then it's the same update that's causing my issues. Many people complained that the March update messed up not only their entire pc performance, but it seems to mostly affect 3D/2D programs and gaming stuff, so it did something to make the pc's freak out when having to do anything graphic related I think, but I'm not a pc expert, it's just a hunch.

• KixiePixie13KixiePixie13 Posts: 63
    edited April 2023

I was just looking at all the updates installed in March and one is for .NET framework... does anyone know if .NET framework affects Daz studio, Photoshop, etc? (I read it has to do with 'studio' stuff, which I assume means art software/gaming, etc?)

Edited: Removed some information I misread in the log file

Post edited by KixiePixie13 on
  • Does anyone know if there's a current beta release of Daz?... So I can see if installing a new version of Daz would fix anything or not?... I don't want to risk losing my current version of Daz if it isn't going to help, so I want to test it out first before commiting, but I can't find whether there's a beta version right now or not.

• My computer just blue screened again while I was reading through DAZ's log file, not even rendering or anything. So I'm at a complete loss, I think my pc is just done for, so I hate Windows. I can't do my passion anymore and there seems to be no solution to this, so I'm completely defeated. I don't know what to do, other than just never use Daz or any 3D/2D programs again, which would break my heart.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,701
    edited April 2023

Did you happen to catch the error code on the blue screen? If you did, usually searching that up on microsoft's site can give you some insight into whatever issue is causing the BSOD.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • zombietaggerung, no I didn't, this time it wasn't on the screen very long, then turned to black, but took a long time to even shut down to restart it. I'm hoping it doesn't crash again, but if it does, then I'll try to catch it. At this point, I'm scared to even open up Daz at all to recreate the crash though.

• So I've been doing a bunch of reading and found out how to find out what caused a blue screen by using the event viewer app, which I didn't even know about. I noticed it's giving a ton of errors related to Intel Driver & Support Assistant. To be more specific, the errors right before the event shows a failure (which I'm assuming is the moment it blue screened, it seems to be around the time it happened today), is: "the energy server service queencreek service hung on starting"

When I looked it up on Google, it says it's related to Intel Driver & Support Assistant, though I don't know which method to try to fix this, since it seems like you can't download and reinstall the program anymore? It just sends me to the website version of Intel Driver & Support Assistant when I click on links to download it and there is no download button, it just shows all the info about my pc, which I already knew about this page. But the solution is usually uninstall it, then re-install it, but I can't do that now apparently. So does anyone know a method that would help solve this now?

I'm not sure why it only started doing this after the Windows Update, so I don't know if Windows tried to replace the Intel drivers (whcih has happened before, but with Nvidia, Windows installed an old driver before and I had to re-install the proper drivers for it) and caused problems or what, but I do think I might be onto something?

KixiePixie13 said:

My computer just blue screened again while I was reading through DAZ's log file, not even rendering or anything. So I'm at a complete loss, I think my pc is just done for, so I hate Windows. I can't do my passion anymore and there seems to be no solution to this, so I'm completely defeated. I don't know what to do, other than just never use Daz or any 3D/2D programs again, which would break my heart.

Don't let that machine get the best of you. I am beginning to think your Windows OS is so corrupted, so I suggested a reset. But I know you don't want to. You made that very clear.

• Agitated Riot, did you read my most recent post?... The Event Viewer shows multiple warnings and crashes caused by Intel Driver & Support Assistant (I put the actual error in that comment and online searches say that error is related to the Intel Driver & Support Assistant). I didn't know about the event viewer before last night, so I had no idea about this and the online searches say that this error causes blue screens. So I'm pretty sure this is what's going on, I just haven't found an updated solution, since the solutions I can find say to uninstall, then reinstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant, but I can't download it from Intel's website anymore (at least not that I can find), it just takes me to the website version of Intel Driver & Support Assistant. 

Also, I'm trying to try all solutions before doing such a drastic thing, especially since I may have found the problem now, (hopefully), if nothing else works, my mom said she'd just buy me a new pc and I could pay her back over time, but for the same reason I don't want to reset the pc unless absolutely necessary, that's only as a last resort thing.

• Did you try just uninstalling the intel driver and support assistant?

Do you even need it. My brief peruse through google seems to indicate it is a culprit to not playin gnice with other applications and can be uninstalled.

KixiePixie13 said:

Agitated Riot, did you read my most recent post?... The Event Viewer shows multiple warnings and crashes caused by Intel Driver & Support Assistant (I put the actual error in that comment and online searches say that error is related to the Intel Driver & Support Assistant). I didn't know about the event viewer before last night, so I had no idea about this and the online searches say that this error causes blue screens. So I'm pretty sure this is what's going on, I just haven't found an updated solution, since the solutions I can find say to uninstall, then reinstall Intel Driver & Support Assistant, but I can't download it from Intel's website anymore (at least not that I can find), it just takes me to the website version of Intel Driver & Support Assistant. 

Also, I'm trying to try all solutions before doing such a drastic thing, especially since I may have found the problem now, (hopefully), if nothing else works, my mom said she'd just buy me a new pc and I could pay her back over time, but for the same reason I don't want to reset the pc unless absolutely necessary, that's only as a last resort thing.

Yes, I understand. I did read your post. So I will show you something about event viewer on my system, and anybody who wants to look at their event viewer will find the same things. I have Intel Support Assistant I'm not running into that error. Every Windows System will have errors and warnings. No matter how versed you are with Windows. You can clean the Event log; a few days later, you could have thousands of more errors. This is normal, and Windows usually recovers without intervention. And Never cause a BSOD. With you having BSOD, something is wrong, and your system is unstable.

System Veiwer.png
    1563 x 1004 - 98K