Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,480

The promo images for Mediterranean Backyard don't even look good. They look like amateur 3Delight renders with a sharpness filter run over them. Not only do they presumably not represent the set as it actually appears, they don't even make the set look attractive, at least to me.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,165

emanuela1 said:

Has anyone tried Mixamo Rigged G9? Sounds interesting, but does it works? Usually the compatibility between mixamo and DAZ characters reaches up to g2, to transfer Mixamo movements to DAZ for g8 you need to import them with g2 and then transfer the movement from g2 to g8 with the appropriate scripts (this is the only method I know) . Also, is there anything similar for g8?

I bought it, but can't get it to work correctly.
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,929
    edited June 4

brainmuffin said:

benniewoodell said:

@brainmuffin no, not that one. I don't think I can link it here, but if you google Fix: Import Mixamo Animations with Genesis 9 - DAZ Studio, that's the one you want. 

What's your channel name?

My channel is Bennie Woodell on youtube, but that's not my video that I gave the text to google search for.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • LilwolffLilwolff Posts: 180

As requested concerning Mediterranean Backyard ;

A straight out of the box render, default lights, no sky.  If I used a bright light, I am sure it would come closer to what the artists rendered. 

Of course we are all different in what we like but I happen to love it and saw several views that will be very useful to me. 

Hope this helps those who were wondering. Feel free to download and lighten if you want. If I can't say that, I am sure Richard will delete me... smiley

MedBacksample.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M

To me, that looks better than any of the promos, but it still doesn't look good. 

benniewoodell said:

brainmuffin said:

benniewoodell said:

@brainmuffin no, not that one. I don't think I can link it here, but if you google Fix: Import Mixamo Animations with Genesis 9 - DAZ Studio, that's the one you want. 

My channel is Bennie Woodell on youtube, but that's not my video that I gave the text to google search for.

this one?
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,929
    edited June 5

brainmuffin said:

benniewoodell said:

brainmuffin said:

benniewoodell said:

this one?

That's the one!

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,593

tsroemi said:

PerttiA said:

tsroemi said:

I'm confused, is the new Mediterrenean Backyard an expansion to Stonemason's Mediterrenean Haven without saying so? Cause to me, it seems to be literally the mirrored version of it, plus a few different plants. Compare:

https://www.daz3d.com/mediterranean-backyard
    https://www.daz3d.com/mediterranean-haven

I mean it's pretty and all, but ... what? Or is it just me?

The pottery is different cheeky 

laugh laugh

Weird, right? I mean, how does this happen? Was the original house and setting a viral travel destination on Insta? 

Wow another weird experience. Today we have FG Summer Camp But I own Sleep Away Camp and also The Youth Camp (and the Youth Camp Dining Hall and The Youth Camp Shower House).  It's a tough sell for me.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,547

Lilwolff said:

A straight out of the box render, default lights, no sky.  If I used a bright light, I am sure it would come closer to what the artists rendered. 

Of course we are all different in what we like but I happen to love it and saw several views that will be very useful to me. 

Hope this helps those who were wondering. Feel free to download and lighten if you want. If I can't say that, I am sure Richard will delete me... smiley

Thank you, your render is really helpful. Still, the set looks basically the same as the Stonemason one, so there's no reason for me to buy. It's really really strange that DAZ would let this pass I think, however nice it looks. 

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,378

Gordig said:

The promo images for Mediterranean Backyard don't even look good. They look like amateur 3Delight renders with a sharpness filter run over them. Not only do they presumably not represent the set as it actually appears, they don't even make the set look attractive, at least to me.

+1! 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,801

caravelle said:

Gordig said:

+1! 

+2 As usual, I'm with you, Gordig.

That looks much better, @Lilwolff. Thank you.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,881

Lilwolff said:

Thank you @Lilwolff. That is a lot better than the promo shot. While they may have had the concept at the same time Stonemason's was in QA, I have bought it and this didn't bring anything new to the table.

Mary

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960

memcneil70 said:

Lilwolff said:

Thank you @Lilwolff. That is a lot better than the promo shot. While they may have had the concept at the same time Stonemason's was in QA, I have bought it and this didn't bring anything new to the table.

Mary

I loaded both last night - the Stonemason has a flat roof, and the building is quite shallow, so it's probably more limited in the range of camera angles that will work. Although the layout is very similar the actual size and precise placement of the doors and especially the windows are quite distinct.

benniewoodell said:

That's the one!

Ok, thanks. Though I thought this is what the product from Havanalibere was supposed to do. Since it doesn't work, I will give the method in the video a try.

Richard Haseltine said:

memcneil70 said:

Lilwolff said:

Mary

I loaded both last night - the Stonemason has a flat roof, and the building is quite shallow, so it's probably more limited in the range of camera angles that will work. Although the layout is very similar the actual size and precise placement of the doors and especially the windows are quite distinct.

I wish they would take that attitude and apply it to the products deemed to have an editorial license because this this a closer facsimile than most of the editorial licensed products.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,960

ArtAngel said:

Richard Haseltine said:

memcneil70 said:

Lilwolff said:

Mary

I wish they would take that attitude and apply it to the products deemed to have an editorial license because this this a closer facsimile than most of the editorial licensed products.

I don't know what principle was applied, or even if they noticed the resemblance - I was just commenting on the resemblance bwing less strong than the image might have led people to expect, and saying that it didn't appear to be a "redux" version of the Stonemason original.

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 510
    edited June 6

They are both Mediterranean homes. This is a very popular home and courtyard style. I see a lot of differences between them (if you're thinking of the Mediterranean Haven). There are tons of other Mediterranean style products in the store and even stonemason had more than one product in this style. I love these style of homes and don't mind seeing a new product. The new one also includes an extra side yard and pergola that is not in the haven. If you wanted to make a neighborhood scene, you could put both of these houses on a hill with a small, winding road and imagine you're on the island of Capri. :)

Post edited by Shimrian on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,425

I think it's far more likely that there's a house used in some film which both vendors have used as a reference.

While I cannot categorically say that a vendor wouldn't use an existing product from the same store as a reference (sometimes people do daft things), I can't see any good reason they would do so knowingly.

The most sensible way I can see that one product is actually based on the other is that the second vendor has found references online they thought were photos but were actually renders. But I don't think it's something any vendor would do deliberately; it's too much work to model a product that you *know* has competition and you know has a high chance of being rejected or pulled based on the similarity. It just doesn't add up.

I just took a closer look at both, and I really don't think they look as similar as some are suggesting, certainly not to the point where they couldn't have been modeled entirely independent of each other.

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 510

ArtAngel said:

Shimrian said:

They are both Mediterranean homes. This is a very popular home and courtyard style. I see a lot of differences between them (if you're thinking of the Mediterranean Haven). There are tons of other Mediterranean style products in the store and even stonemason had more than one product in this style released. I love these style of homes and don't mind seeing a new product in this style. The new one also includes an extra side yard and pergola that is not in the haven. If you wanted to make a neighborhood scene, you could put both of these houses on a hill with a small, windy road and imagine you're on the island of Capri. :)

Bull droppings. There are very few distinctions. Having copyrighting numerous works with .gov and excluded derivative rights, I can assure you this is certainly an infringement. A diriviative work is a 'variation distinguishable from the origina and it differs from the prior work in a meaningful manner'. It's a fail for dirivative too. But I am an artists who forbids dirivatives. Sometimes I make exceptions to nice people who request such and give them a license. But most times it is a flat no. My motto is be original or buy a license and adhere to it..

Apologies. I was actually looking more at the garden and I've seen many variations of this type of backyard in real life and assumed the architecture was also very similar to all the Mediterranean home styles I've seen in art and paintings over the years. My thinking when I replied that this was a case like when I see very similar G9 figures or hair styles launched on the store. Looking at it closer, that roof is very unique. I can't see the top of the roof on the Haven, but if it's the same as the Backyard roof, that does seems quite the coincidence to come up with independently. My search on roof styles shows this as a shed style roof that is more common in modern style homes and tbh, I didn't see any Mediterranean homes with the style of roof in my search. I'm not an architect tho, so what do I know? I'd also like to hope that it was more of a case described by @Matt_Castle then someone actually ripping off someone else's work.

Anyway, to everyone else... I should know better to chime in on a post that has any amount of controversy and I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my misunderstanding of what is allowed for creating 3D content.

And because this is supposed to be a thread to appreciate/discuss today's new releases, I'll give a shout out to the new Man'o'War ship from Kara Pitat. It's the monthly freebie for Daz+ members and is an organic Warship with crystalline armor plating. I can't wait to render it flying over Planet Taira using USC 2.0 (with the older ecology)! 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,801
    edited June 6

I've been waiting for something like the XI Cyberpunk Metro Train, Station, & Bridge. Xivon's previous sets have me concerned whether these are scaled appropriately and optimised enough for a few characters to be added. Also, wondering about these cables that suspend in the air with no terminator.

Post edited by xyer0 on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,547

xyer0 said:

I've been waiting for something like the XI Cyberpunk Metro Train, Station, & Bridge. Xivon's previous sets have me concerned whether these are scaled appropriately and optimised enough for a few characters to be added. Also, wondering about these cables that suspend in the air with no terminator.

Hehe, hadn't even seen the cables, good catch! - Xi has lately taken to splitting all their sets up in a way that feels kind of unwholesome to me. As in here, especially the bridge on its own.  But I'm not much into Cyber so that's alright wink.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,191
    edited June 6

Shimrian said:

I can't see the top of the roof on the Haven, but if it's the same as the Backyard roof, that does seems quite the coincidence to come up with independently.

It's not the same at all. As Richard had already mentioned, the roof of the Haven house is flat.

There are many other differences in the models, for example the stairs, courtyard stones and arches are different, roof tiles in Haven house are curved while the ones in Backyard house look flat like shingles, the windows also look pretty different and those in Haven house are integrated into the wall while those in Backyard house protude from it, and so on.

Definitely looks like a case of "2 artists used some of the same reference pictures when designing their product" to me.

2024-06-06_10h17_06.png
    893 x 861 - 1M
    Post edited by Leana on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,289

A number of years ago I went to Crete, and most modern houses there had flat roofs with re-bar sticking out of the top. When I asked why, I got an understandable but utterly mad response. Apparently unfinished houses didn't have to pay tax on finishing the building or annual local government taxes. So.. all houses sought planning permission to build one floor higher than required, and left the rebar sticking out of the top to be able to claim it wasn't finished yet...

So, where's the re-bar in the house above? cheeky

Regards,

Richard

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,172
    Leana said:

Shimrian said:

I can't see the top of the roof on the Haven, but if it's the same as the Backyard roof, that does seems quite the coincidence to come up with independently.

It's not the same at all. As Richard had already mentioned, the roof of the Haven house is flat.

There are many other differences in the models, for example the stairs, courtyard stones and arches are different, roof tiles in Haven house are curved while the ones in Backyard house look flat like shingles, the windows also look pretty different and those in Haven house are integrated into the wall while those in Backyard house protude from it, and so on.

Definitely looks like a case of "2 artists used some of the same reference pictures when designing their product" to me.

Just to clarify since this is dragging on and it's being said that we used the same reference ... The only reference I used was for the flowers around the stairs, the rest of it was just freestyled.

When I said "reference pics" I just meant pics used as inspiration for the style.

I LOVEheartheartheart the Spell Workshop. The Bundle has betwitched me and refuses to leave my cart. Yes the Staff sets are similar to some that came with Wizard outfits etc,. but they just look better.

The workshop bundle is indeed pretty nice, I particularly like the set.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,172

I also like that spell workshop bundle, but it looks like a lot of emissives and i wonder if my system can handle it:

• emanuela1emanuela1 Posts: 538
    edited June 6

Finally I bought Mixamo Rigged Genesis 9 Character, the first attempt seemed to go quite well.
    Even though it's not today's new release I thought I'd post the comment here. I would like to attach a 2 second test video of one of the Mixamo movements, imported with this system, but I don't know how to upload the video, which is not accepted as an attachment.

Post edited by emanuela1 on