The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,376

kyoto kid said:

..ah, a bonafide complaint. this time.

My dual window fans stopped working. A real bugger as I can't afford a new set (bought them with pandemic stimulus money and they've been a big life saver, particularly when we had those Death Valley-like temperatures here a couple years ago) and we still likely will have a few more 90°+ days before summer is over. 

I don't think it's the motors as both would not have quit at the same time since each fan has its own individual one. Most likely It has to be something in the control unit as it also has a thermostat that turns the fans off when a certain ambient temperature is detected.  There is a setting to bypass it but they still won't start.  Will have to take it apart when I wake up later to see what the deal is.  I fear that it might be something like a temperature sensor chip that failed which I don't have the tools or expertise to fix.

It might also something as simple as a fuse. Some fans even have the fuse built into the plug. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

I need to switch to a prepaid SIM after being with the same phone company for 30 years

not with them either because all their plans dear

I only make calls and occasionally SMS on my phone but they are doubling my fee to provide unlimited data and I don't use any

it's a PITA

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,231
    edited July 2023

Similar situation here.  I don't use my cell phone except when on mini-adventures out of the house.  Rarely used for calls.  I use it for double-verification texts when logging on to banks & catalogs.  I've gotten along well with a generation or two old TracFone (about $100), for several years now.  I use to get a pre-paid plan for $21 for 3 months ($7/month) but I think they stopped offering that and were tempting people over to a subscription plan.  So I switched to their lowest yearly subscription plan for about the same yearly total as my old plan.  I used to have to futz around and put in a new license key every 3 months but now I don't worry about it.   In my home I get Internet via DSL from my phone company as well as my hardline phone which is only used to scream through, or make other creative stress relieving noises, at spam callers.yes  I did have to purchase 2 or 3 of gigabytes of data usage, but in 4 years I haven't used it up yet.  But now I think some data usage is included with the subscription.  Regardless, I haven't had to buy more data useage at all.  I have no sympathy for people with $1000+ phones, live-streaming their life.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

they want $50 a month surprise

edited July 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Either I'm grandfathered in to my plan or you're not finding it.

The following is a line from my spreadsheet. I pay once a year in March. 

TracFone 365 days: 03/21/23 $131.37 *

Oops, over the years it has crept up a bit, it's now about $11/month. (132/12 = 11.5)

edited July 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oops, over the years it has crept up a bit, it's now about $11/month. (132/12 = 11.5)

Coles down here apparently have a 365 day prepaid SIM for $150 so thinking of getting  that 

they is my current provider not yours, I'm in Australia 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited July 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

LeatherGryphon said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Coles down here apparently have a 365 day prepared SIM for $150 so thinking of getting  that 

they is my current provider not yours, I'm in Australia 

Ah, 'splains a lot.indecision  (pay no attention to the gibbering from the gibbon in the back of the room.blush)   Although I did find a TracFone REFILL plan for $99 for 365 days that did include 3x1200 minutes talk, 3x1200 text, and 3x1.7GB data  (special temporary deal 3x the normal plan.)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,774

I forgot what I was going to say.  Oh I am hoping to get a new backpack soon.  Once someone gives it to me.

I found something green in my pot I left outside.  I brought it in so I can keep an eye on when it needs to be watered.  I hope it is oregano instead of a weed?

IMG_8938.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627

Charlie Judge said:

kyoto kid said:

..ah, a bonafide complaint. this time.

My dual window fans stopped working. A real bugger as I can't afford a new set (bought them with pandemic stimulus money and they've been a big life saver, particularly when we had those Death Valley-like temperatures here a couple years ago) and we still likely will have a few more 90°+ days before summer is over. 

I don't think it's the motors as both would not have quit at the same time since each fan has its own individual one. Most likely It has to be something in the control unit as it also has a thermostat that turns the fans off when a certain ambient temperature is detected.  There is a setting to bypass it but they still won't start.  Will have to take it apart when I wake up later to see what the deal is.  I fear that it might be something like a temperature sensor chip that failed which I don't have the tools or expertise to fix.

It might also something as simple as a fuse. Some fans even have the fuse built into the plug. 

...nothing in the plug so I'll have to take it apart.  The thing is the indicator LEDs still turn on and cycle through the temperature settings, It's just the fans that don't move.  If it were a fuse none of the LEDs would light up. I also checked the power strip and its breaker didn't trip

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,527
    edited July 2023

I wanted to have a bagel with cream cheese, pate and capers . . . but my bagel was moldy. Why is the rum always gone bagel moldy so soon, when the sour dough and butter milk bread isn't?

And now for a non-complaint. What retirement means:

My son called today and said, "K----- called."

Me: Hmmmmm.

Him: Yep I kew you'd know if all I said was those two words.

Me: How olds she now? Eighteen? Nineteen?

Him: Twenty-one.

Me: [Goodness]. Time does fly. Well she did better than us. I was 15, you were 18 . . . what did you say?

Him: It's your choice but decide soon. I support whatever decision you make.

Me: I raised you well. But, know this. Remember how you moved in with us when she was born and how we had to help support you while you got on your feet? The torch is yours. It's your turn to be a grandparent . . .  we're retired.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627
    edited July 2023

...update on the dead fans,  I dug out the owners guide and indeed there is a fuse in the plug (so tiny ir's easy to miss seeing it)  However again I would think if it is the fuse no power would go to the unit at all so the LEDs should also not light up.  I filed a support ticket with the manufacturer detailing the situation and hope to get a response. 

There are a couple troubleshooting videos on You Tube but like most "home brewed" tutorials, they are not well produced. . 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433

I'm having trouble finding my own recently started discussion thread. The way things are done here is confusing, which is why I cannot find it. It is about the Surfaces Edit pane in DAZ Studio, and how all images that have been loaded, either with a product, or applied after loading the product to a list, that can be found when clicking on the little square to the left of certain surfaces channels. Some of these channels include the Diffuse, Specular, Ambient, Normal, and Displacement channels. Clicking on the square to the left of the color bar calls up this list which contains the names of all the images that have been loaded or applied in a current session of using DAZ Studio. While composing a scene, any images used on a loaded product, whether default or applied after the product has been loaded, appear on this list. The trouble is that if you are testing different texture sets or shaders on a surface, if there are images associated with those textures or shaders, those images will be added to the list. If you are testing several textures in this way, those images add up as the images no longer being used will still be on this list. The names of these images are what appears on the list, but the images they represent are still in the memory for the session. The amount of images added in this way can and do become quite numerous! I have seen them get to as much as 500+. The effect of this is that it slows the render down, and especially when there are a couple hundred or so. And if you have not done a render yet, starting the render causes a message to popup, stating "Optimizing Images!" The more images there are on the list, the longer it will take to optimize all the images that are on this list. The problem is that the unused images remain on the list, even though they are no longer applied! If there are hundreds of images on the list, your render will take a lot longer to complete.

The only way I have found to remove all images that are not being used from this list is as follows:

1. Save you scene as either a Scene Subset, or a Scene.

2. Close DAZ Studio.

3. Open DAZ Studio for a new session.

4. Load your scene.

5. Start your render.

You will see the popup stating "Optimizing Images", This time though all unused images are no longer on the list. When the optimizing is completed your render will start.

This is a very inefficient way to work, and it seems to me that there must be a way to remove all unused images from the list, without having to close DAZ Studio. The most efficient way to remove these images would be when they are replaced by a texture set or a shader, they are deleted from the list. But that is not happening here. So there must be a hidden tool that can remove all the unused images. Once that is done, Optimizing Images will only occur for the used ones. The render will be faster as well.

So the question is this. Is there a way to remove all unused images from the list, without having to close DAZ Studio?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,032

kyoto kid said:

...update on the dead fans,  I dug out the owners guide and indeed there is a fuse in the plug (so tiny ir's easy to miss seeing it)  However again I would think if it is the fuse no power would go to the unit at all so the LEDs should also not light up.  I filed a support ticket with the manufacturer detailing the situation and hope to get a response. 

There are a couple troubleshooting videos on You Tube but like most "home brewed" tutorials, they are not well produced. . 

Speaking of Dead fans, I  believe they prefer to be called Deadheads. 

Seriously though, I hope you figure out your problem. 

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

So phobophobia is the only thing to fear? I have a much longer list, but I won't bore you with it. I'm sure you all have lists of phobias of your own.

edited July 2023

TJohn said:

kyoto kid said:

Speaking of Dead fans, I  believe they prefer to be called Deadheads. 

Seriously though, I hope you figure out your problem. 

Grateful Dead fans are usually just Heads

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I think my fan died as it stopped blowing air. I'm trying to find a good fan at Walmart.com

I got new stainless steel earrings.  I don't remember it taking this long putting earrings in when I first got them pierced.  Doubt it has anything to do with having 7 pairs of holes now instead of just 1.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,279

TJohn said:

So phobophobia is the only thing to fear? I have a much longer list, but I won't bore you with it. I'm sure you all have lists of phobias of your own.

No, because the thing to fear is fear itself, not the fear of the fear of fear.

Gordig said:

TJohn said:

No, because the thing to fear is fear itself, not the fear of the fear of fear.

I fear you are right. 

edited July 2023

Complaint:  "Jumping bubbles, Batman!":  My internal eyeball air bubble is almost gone. Yay!yes  HOWEVER,... the remaining bubble is now tiny.  It is now so tiny that it floats around on the top of the eye fluid and is only visible when I look downward.  But it is now so small that as it rolls along the interior of the eyeball it falls into the "blindspot" (the small indentation where the optic nerve leaves the eye heading toward the brain) and gets stuck there until the eye rotates enough to let the bubble pop out of the indent and float back to the surface.surprise  This results in the bubble tracking the movement of my eyeball for a while then popping out of the hole and jumping across my vision.frown  I'd just gotten used to seeing it always at the bottom of my vision like a water drop on my glasses, (yes, bottom, because the eye's image is upside down, but the brain's image is right-side up which makes the floating bubble, appear on the bottom of my field of vision) now it is small enough to be ignorable until it zooms by my view every time I glance at my keyboard and then back at the display screen.frown

A Ponderable:  I can see the outline of the tiny bubble while trapped in the blindspot.  What is it that I don't understand?indecision  Ah..., upon a moment of pensive musing, and re-examination of what I actually see, perhaps, I'm seeing a bubble slightly larger than the blindspot depression and I see the black-appearing, meniscus edge of the bubble in active retinal areas, because as I look carefully, the tiny space in the remaining tiny center of the bubble is grayed out and not transparent as it is when floating free, away from the blindspot.  Yea, that's the ticket.  Physics and Biology in concert.smiley

Or perhaps, the bubble is now so small that it also gets stuck on bumps in the retina from underlying blood vessels?  Because I've now found a couple other spots where I can get the bubble stuck for a moment.

Who would have thought that I'd spend my twilight years entertaining myself by shushing bubbles around the interior of my eyeball?indecision

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  "Jumping bubbles, Batman!":  My internal eyeball air bubble is almost gone. Yay!yes  HOWEVER,... the remaining bubble is now tiny.  It is now so tiny that it floats around on the top of the eye fluid and is only visible when I look downward.  But it is now so small that as it rolls along the interior of the eyeball it falls into the "blindspot" (the small indentation where the optic nerve leaves the eye heading toward the brain) and gets stuck there until the eye rotates enough to let the bubble pop out of the indent and float back to the surface.surprise  This results in the bubble tracking the movement of my eyeball for a while then popping out of the hole and jumping across my vision.frown  I'd just gotten used to seeing it always at the bottom of my vision like a water drop on my glasses, (yes, bottom, because the eye's image is upside down, but the brain's image is right-side up which makes the floating bubble, appear on the bottom of my field of vision) now it is small enough to be ignorable until it zooms by my view every time I glance at my keyboard and then back at the display screen.frown

A Ponderable:  I can see the outline of the tiny bubble while trapped in the blindspot.  What is it that I don't understand?indecision  Ah..., upon a moment of pensive musing, and re-examination of what I actually see, perhaps, I'm seeing a bubble slightly larger than the blindspot depression and I see the black-appearing, meniscus edge of the bubble in active retinal areas, because as I look carefully, the tiny space in the remaining tiny center of the bubble is grayed out and not transparent as it is when floating free, away from the blindspot.  Yea, that's the ticket.  Physics and Biology in concert.smiley

Or perhaps, the bubble is now so small that it also gets stuck on bumps in the retina from underlying blood vessels?  Because I've now found a couple other spots where I can get the bubble stuck for a moment.

Who would have thought that I'd spend my twilight years entertaining myself by shushing bubbles around the interior of my eyeball?indecision

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,584

Complaint; Nothing but rain for the next two weeks... Ie. the rest of the summer, sigh... sad

TJohn said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Ho-ho-ho.laugh 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,103

LeatherGryphon said:

TJohn said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Ho-ho-ho.laugh 

That's what Santa said when he saw the three prostitutes!   laugh 

The food thief is choosing more victims than just me it seems like.

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

TJohn said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Ho-ho-ho.laugh 

That's what Santa said when he saw the three prostitutes!   laugh 

That's also what my mother used to command me to do when she sent me out to work in the garden.frown 

edited July 2023

Another Ponderable:  More Bubbles:  I read a while ago, that the "stars" you see when hit in the head with a baseball or if you sneeze or cough too hard, are cavitation bubbles in the tiny blood vessles behind the retina.surprise  So, does that mean that if I sneeze enough that I'll clean out my arteries?yes  Or go blind?crying

Silly Science Factoid #765: Elephants are descended from hummingbirds. 

• TJohn said:

Silly Science Factoid #765: Elephants are descended from hummingbirds. 

Given their mass I'm surprised they survived their arrival on the ground - or indeed, given their size, the fall itself.

This discussion has been closed.