Working in DAZ very slow

leo04leo04 Posts: 325

Update: I am trying to delete an asset in a scene. It has taked several hours so far and still not done. ANY idea what is going on with that?

I have no issues rendering. What I am having issues with is setting up my scenes. For instance, I have a scene with a limo, 4 actors in it, in a City street scene. Posing the actors, moving the limo and placing cameras is a labor intensive process.  It there any way to reduce this?

I would also lilke to find some way to reduce load times for these complicated scenes as well.

I love working with DAZ, more like I love the rendered results.  I would just like to find a way to manipulate scenes, actors and other assets with less difficulty than I have now.

I am running DAZ Version 4.21

PC Specs:

Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i7 @ 2.50GHz    80 °C
    Skylake Technology
RAM
    32.0GB
Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0K3CM7 (U3E1)
Graphics
    HP W2082a (1600x900@60Hz)
    Intel UHD Graphics 750 (Dell)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (ASUStek Computer Inc)    44 °C
    SLI Disabled
Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-75WN4A1 (SATA )    36 °C
    931GB NVMe CT1000P2SSD8 (RAID (SSD))
    1863GB Seagate Basic SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )    34 °C
    1GB Generic Flash Disk USB Device (USB )
    7GB SDHC Card (USB )
Optical Drives
    ATA PLDS DVD+/-RW DU-8A5LH
Audio
    Realtek Audio

Post edited by leo04 on

Comments

• Which Drawstyle is the Viewport using? Have you tried hiding figures you are not currently working on?

• I will have to agree with Richard on this. Using the Iray or Filament drawstyles isn't a good idea for much more than quick viewing of the scene.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 325

Shaded Texture.  Also I have been waiting for sever hours now to delete a limo with four characters inside.  I am getting Daz Not Responding.  I have seen some comments on this but not a good solution yet.

Richard Haseltine said:

Which Drawstyle is the Viewport using? Have you tried hiding figures you are not currently working on?

Typically I use the Texture Shaded setting in my viewport. I also have the AUX view port open.  I do look at the Filiment occastionally but really don't use it that much.

It appears that is not the issue. I can be in the Wireframe setting and still have the same response. Taking hours to delete an asset in the scene.

I have DAZ set to use the GPU.  Using DAZ 4.21 Pro.

Here are my system Specs:

Operating System
        Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
        Intel Core i7 @ 2.50GHz    76 °C
        Skylake Technology
    RAM
        32.0GB
    Motherboard
        Dell Inc. 0K3CM7 (U3E1)
    Graphics
        4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (ASUStek Computer Inc)    53 °C
        SLI Disabled
    Storage
        7GB SDHC Card (USB )
    Optical Drives
    Audio
        Realtek Audio

• Clutching at straws, but which security software are you using?

I had Norton on this PC but removed it thinking that was the issue.  I have Windows Defender and Malwarebyes on this PC.

• I would also lilke to find some way to reduce load times for these complicated scenes as well.

Just confiriming your issue is slow scene loading from DUF or when you change the Drawstyle -- it takes ages to show you the preview?!  

Loading is slow but not really my issue.  I was trying to delete a character in a scene. I started it last  night around 8-9 pm.  I came back to the pc this morning and the delete had still not happened.  I have tried to delete objects in a scene and watched it take hours or have to leave it overnight.

Preview, loading, is really the issue.

I don't recall this being a problem before the last update but I could be wrong.  This has been going on for some time now.

My Specs:

DAZ version 4.21

PC:

Operating System
        Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
        Intel Core i7 @ 2.50GHz    39 °C
        Skylake Technology
    RAM
        32.0GB
    Motherboard
        Dell Inc. 0K3CM7 (U3E1)
    Graphics
        4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 (ASUStek Computer Inc)    53 °C
        SLI Disabled
    Storage
    Optical Drives
    Audio
        Realtek Audio

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

Maybe you could save a Scene Subset without the unwanted items, close the scene and open the subset. Sounds like a faster way to "delete" items.

One idea did come to mind about possible culprit for deletion taking an eternity... You may have multiple copies of those items/multiple copies of morphs related to items, and DS gets lost when it has deleted an item but there are still parts of that same item in memory.
    Stumbled on this type of behaviour when DS was hanging indefinitely at exit.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,158

Consider making background characters into billboards for future projects.

I use bilboards so I am on board with that.  I do not think I have any duplicate items either in the scene or loaded up in DAZ but not sure just what you mean. I have three Genesis characters in the scene, One female and two males.  Also, a GF8.1 and a GF3.  It is in an undergound garage set with a number of vehicles.

I have 1,558 assets including the program and plugins.

Thanks for the replies.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012
    edited December 2022

You would not know that you had multiple copies of items/morphs, I didn't and the only way I found out, was when I started wondering why the length of the lashes didn't stick - Every second time I opened a previously saved scene, the length of the lashes were at the default 0% instead of 100% that I had saved the scene with.

As I was troubleshooting the lashes, I found duplicate versions of the morphs included in one 3rd party characters morphs, but I also found a lot of (duplicate) morphs from the Starter Essentials included in other characters morph folders and even copies of the G8 base figures (the base mesh) within some characters morph folders. There were also clothes that had (duplicate) character morphs from not only the starter essentials but also other creators morph packs included.

Once I had removed all the extra morphs and items from places where they were not supposed to be... After a few days, I realized closing DS had not hanged even once since I removed the duplicated items/morphs, and hasn't hanged since.

Finding those duplicates is not easy if one isn't familiar with where everything should be and why.

Note; The filename being the same does not mean that a file is a duplicate, one must look inside the file and compare the contents.

Post edited by PerttiA on

Gee that is a bit disheartening.  I t hink I got a program that is supposed to find duplicates in the DAZ but not sure I have ever got it to work

Thanks for that heads up though, Sounds like a slog though.

Richard Haseltine said:

Clutching at straws, but which security software are you using?

Following up...

I have a model, it is made of 6 cubes, and it took nearly 30 minutes to load.  I don't understand why this is taking so long.

The file is 17.2 MB which for 6 cubes seems excessively large.  Anyone know what is going on here? Should this file with 6 cubes be this large?

Thanks.

• How many divisions did the cubes have? Have you used dForce in the scene?

edited December 2022

Simple cubes as they were created. 6 sides one face each side no divisions.   No Dforce.  They were scaled to be larger than the 1m size they were create as and one texture added. I would upload the file but I tried and it failed.

Post edited by leo04 on
  • In that case the scene size is very odd, the cubes should account for very little of it. Try Windoiw>Panes(Tabs)>Scene Info - under the Scene Geometry heading that will list the total content of the scene.

After taking around 5 hours I finally got the file open, see first image on left.

I methodically deleted each item until all were gone the saved the file.

The sizes for each version are in the red boxes on each image.

This does not seem right.

2022-12-16_222721.png
    1600 x 900 - 507K
    2022-12-16_224050.png
    1600 x 900 - 53K
  • Did you try the Scene Info pane? Try File>Save As>Scene Subset, the options dialogue will have a list of all the items in the scene - you may find things like Octane info nodes which are hidden in the Scene list (though the pane's option menu does have an entry for enabling hidden nodes).

edited December 2022

Yes I did try that. And today I have found it is repeatable I have an entirely new file with 8 cube in it.  I inserted another .duf to get some relationship sizes to the cubes I already had. Deleted the item then saved.  It went from 10kb to 850,000kb+. What is going on?

Does a file retain information in it even after the information is deleted? I don't know.

Since you mentioned Octain I am going to remove it from my setup and see what happens then. This is very confusing, and fustrataing.

I have removed everything from the file and saved it. The file ended up being 17,551kb.  Trying to create a new file takes roughtly an hour to do from being in the empty file, stuck on clearing the scene for a long long time.

Thanks.

2022-12-18_204557.png
    640 x 480 - 406K
    Post edited by leo04 on
    edited December 2022

I am also having issues with DAZ even starting. I used it once close it and in order to open it again, I have to reboot my PC.

I close it most of the time but sometimes it also just terminates. Either way I have the issue.

Post edited by leo04 on
  • What is in the scene you loaded? What elements are listed in you use the Sae Scene Subset option?

edited December 2022

Copied this down. put it in the script folder.  It does not show in DAZ. Dragged and dropped into open file giving issue.  Waiting on it to finish?  Not sure. Something is  happening have hourglass icon atm.

Was this a okay process how I used it?

How long should it take,for this to run?

Is there an  interface to this script?

Post edited by leo04 on

Richard Haseltine said:

What is in the scene you loaded? What elements are listed in you use the Sae Scene Subset option?

See my ealier post it has images attached that show what I was seeing.

• The earlier images don't show Scene Info or the node list from Save As>Scene Subset.

Yes, downloading the script and dragging it into the Viewport is fine.

Richard Haseltine said:

The earlier images don't show Scene Info or the node list from Save As>Scene Subset.

Yes, downloading the script and dragging it into the Viewport is fine.

I s this what you're looking for?

2022-12-19_171330.png
    402 x 579 - 12K
  • Is that before or after running the script? What does the Scene Info pane show for that scene?

• Once upon a time many years ago, when I was saving 'little' files that came out to mega-sized monster files -- problem turned out to be a combination of a virus of some kind and a reinstallation of the OS was the solution. So for what it's worth, maybe it's time to run an online scanner to do a deep scan.

Richard Haseltine said:

Is that before or after running the script? What does the Scene Info pane show for that scene?

That was after, Sorry for the delay in my reply.