Shopping Street crashes

I'm trying to use Shopping Street by Charlie (https://www.daz3d.com/shopping-street) but it keeps crashing every time I go to render with the night textures on it. The odd thing is that I've rendered it many, many times before with the night textures just fine. All I did was open the file I already had created with it, clicked render, and now it's suddenly crashing every time.

To recreate the error, I simply open DS 4.15, add Shopping Street, apply the night texture, add the included cameras, switch to one of the cameras, and render.

My computer is an absolute beast, and can easily render anything from the Daz store.

Log file attached, but I don't know how to read it.

I'd just swith to a different asset, but I've already created several renders with this one, and it's part of a story, so I'd have to go back and recreate those pages with a different asset.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Your log is not attached.

But that product is resource heavy, so that might be the cause.

• Reality HackReality Hack Posts: 99
    edited September 2022

felis said:

Your log is not attached.

But that product is resource heavy, so that might be the cause.

I seriously doubt that it's too much for my machine.
    11th Gen Core i7-11700KF 3.5GHz with 16 Logical Processors and 32GB RAM
    I'm telling you. My machine eats Daz products for breakfast.

Also, it rendered the exact same scene a couple of days ago just fine. I changed nothing. Opened the file again, clicked render, crash.

Sorry. It's not attaching my log file for some reason. You can view it here:
    https://bit.ly/3eYfF30

Post edited by Reality Hack on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,191

The last entry in the log before the crash is

2022-09-18 09:02:40.961 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.5   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 1.444 GiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)

But exactly how to understand the last entry, I am in doubt.

The one you rendered before the crash, had much less textures. I thought it was the same scene, but in daylight?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

32GB's of RAM is not much. Which GPU do you have?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/574266/shopping-street-and-gpu-vram/p1

edited September 2022

felis said:

The last entry in the log before the crash is

2022-09-18 09:02:40.961 Iray [VERBOSE] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.5   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 1.444 GiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)

But exactly how to understand the last entry, I am in doubt.

The one you rendered before the crash, had much less textures. I thought it was the same scene, but in daylight?

After the geometry consumption, it should report Texture memory consumption, but when it doesn't, OP is probably running out of RAM plus virtual memory

Post edited by PerttiA on

Ok, read the log... You have a RTX3070 that has 8GB's of VRAM.

The two things rendering in Iray needs, are RAM and VRAM and on those accounts, your system is at the minimum level, especially with resource heavy scenes like the Shopping Street.

• PerttiA said:

32GB's of RAM is not much. Which GPU do you have?

32GB is not much?!? What're you talking about!?!
    My GPU is the GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6
    I should also mention that this is all factory overclocked by 30%.
    So where, exactly, are you getting that that's the "minimum level"...? Because according to the site, the system requirements for a graphics card are 512MB RAM. 4GB+ is recommended.
    Trust me you guys. It's more than enough. And regardless of what my rig is, the argument that it's not enough is moot because, once again, I easily rendered the exact same scene dozens of times! Nothing changed!

edited September 2022

With 32GB's of RAM and 8GB's of VRAM, you should close all other programs before rendering Iray, especially browsers.

Windows 10 steals 1GB of VRAM just because it can. DS takes about 200MB's of VRAM and the scene upwards of 400MB's
    While rendering Iray, the process needs "Working Space in VRAM, which by default is 1.7GB's on DS 4.15 and 1.9GB's on DS 4.20 if there is enough space, if the amount of available "Working Space" gets below 1GB, one starts noticing the rendering times getting lower. The lowest amount of "Working Space" I have seen on a render that was still done on GPU was around 360MB's (very slow)

Attached is a test I made some time ago to see how much RAM and VRAM was used while rendering in IRAY

Case a) just one lightweight G8 figure with lightweight clothing and hair
    Case b) four similar G8 characters with architecture (lightweight)
    Case c and d) started increasing SubD on the characters to see at which point the rendering would drop to CPU

"RAM/GB" and "VRAM/MB" taken from GPU-Z, "DS Log/GiB" taken from DS Log, no other programs were running but DS and GPU-Z
    The "DS Log/GiB" is the sum of Geometry usage, Texture usage and Working Space - After Geometry and Textures, there should still be at least a Gigabyte of VRAM available for the Working space => In my case, Geometry + Textures should not exceed 4.7GiB

Note; Case c) was already using 38GB's of RAM, even though the rendering was done on the GPU, Case d) when rendering on CPU the RAM usage went almost over my 64GB's

Tests made using RTX 2070 Super (8GB), i7-5820K, 64GB's of RAM on W7 Ultimate and DS 4.15 (Note, W10 takes about 800MB's more VRAM than W7)

RenderTst.png
    615 x 574 - 42K
  • Cool story, bro.

Alls I know is that:
    a) The scene rendered fine before many, many times, even with other apps running.
    2. Having changed nothing, the exact same scene crashes now.
    and D: My machine is more than capable of rendering it. (Obviously.)

• well if a graphics card with 8GB of VRAM and a computer with 32GB of RAM is considered low end

This hobby is getting ridiculous 

or rather IMO the product is

have they slipped a tiff file into the night textures by any chance?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

well if a graphics card with 8GB of VRAM and a computer with 32GB of RAM is considered low end

This hobby is getting ridiculous 

or rather IMO the product is

have they slipped a tiff file into the night textures by any chance?

That's why I upgraded my 2070 to a 3060 12GB's a few months back.

Even though one can still render on 8GB GPU, the VRAM usage of the products has been going up during the last 2 years and it just isn't enough with some of them.

This particular product is known to be resource hungry.

• I have this product but I don't use the entire scene. I will pick a place I want the render to be and then get rid of all the other buildings and props that will not be seen in my renders. I do this a lot with some of Stonemasion's products. The only time I will ever try to render a big scene with a product like the shopping street is to use a product that compresses large texture files and geometries like Scene Optimizer:

Scene Optimizer | Daz 3D

On another subject I tend to agree with WendyLuvsCats if using Daz studio is going to require a $5,000+ dollar computer just to run the program then it's gone past just a fun hobby. I paid less then that for a cruise. But that's just my opinionwink

• Reality HackReality Hack Posts: 99
    edited September 2022

The resource management of Daz Studio is definitely abhorrent. I've rendered much more complex Daz scenes with G8 characters in them in 3d Studio Max, and that was on my old rig from some five plus years ago. 'Course, 3ds Max is $1,500/yr.

I started in on a completely different scene last night, and my computer crashed at render time again. This time it was the Pirate Ship Poseidon (https://www.daz3d.com/pw-pirate-ship-poseidon) in Pirate's Cove (https://www.daz3d.com/the-pirates-cove-scene-kit-with-props-and-poses-for-genesis-8) with two G8 characters. Now, granted, again, that's a fairly large scene, but even after deleting everything that wasn't in the shot, the same crash happened when I went to render. I find it extremely difficult to believe that after about a year with this computer, using Daz Studio constantly, the same type of crash just-so-happened to occur in two completely different scenes on the same day, when, again, I was rendering the first scene just fine a couple of days ago with a lot more stuff in it, and I didn't change anything. Clearly, something's happened in the past couple of days that is siphoning VRAM somewhere or something's going on.

Just a recommendation, I had to switch scenes, so I chose Urban Sprawl 3 (https://www.daz3d.com/urban-sprawl-3) which also has a night version. Here are just a couple of the renders I've done so far. (And just for reference, the first image was rendered in 6min 25sec.)

Post edited by Reality Hack on
    edited September 2022

Did you update Nvidia drivers or let Windows update part of itself?

Uncheck CPU from rendering devices

Edit: Download GPU-Z to monitor the usage of RAM and VRAM
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

• PerttiA said:

Did you update Nvidia drivers or let Windows update part of itself?

Uncheck CPU from rendering devices

Edit: Download GPU-Z to monitor the usage of RAM and VRAM
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Hm. I'm not sure when I last updated my nVidia drivers, but I don't think it was within the past week. Windows does say it updated the .NET Framework, and just Windows in general on the 15th, but I think my last render that worked was on the 17th, so that's probably not it.

I tried unchecking CPU, but it still crashed.

I'll check out GPU-Z to see if I can find anything out. Thanks! 

• Just reporting back real quick. Using Scene Optimizer (https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer) I was able to render the basic scene after just dividing the textures by a factor of 2. So, apparently, it could be running out of VRAM due to the textures. The optimizer's just a band-aid though. It still doesn't explain why it suddenly started crashing when I was rendering the same scene dozens of times with figures and cars, etc. no problem.

Running out of VRAM should not crash DS, it would drop to CPU (if allowed) or produce a black render (if not allowed). Crashing points more towards either running out of RAM or faulty RAM. You could remove your RAM and reseat it back again to check.

• this is why I was wondering about the tiff file, since it's the night scene and sometimes those can crash DAZ studio

• PerttiA said:

Running out of VRAM should not crash DS, it would drop to CPU (if allowed) or produce a black render (if not allowed). Crashing points more towards either running out of RAM or faulty RAM. You could remove your RAM and reseat it back again to check.

Okay, now it's happening with Urban Sprawl 3 and three G8 characters. That's all three of the last three scenes I've done. I mean, it's obviously something like what you're saying, because I don't feel like these scenes are all that big, but when I used Scene Optimizer on the first scene (the one that I was already rendering just fine with three G8 characters and other stuff in it) it rendered successfully. The Daz file on this most recent one is 11mb, so that's pretty big, but that's not really an indication, is it? The last two scenes were only 3.5mb.

Oh, and I don't think I mentioned, Daz Studio doesn't just crash. My computer completely freezes up.

I have Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 Extreme Performance Memory, so I'm hoping it's not bad RAM, but I do understand that it could just be seated improperly. Would Windows Memory Diagnostic reflect that? Also, wouldn't I be experiencing problems elsewhere? I run some pretty intense stuff on my machine (Spider-Man Remastered at maxed settings, Cyberpunk 2077 in VR, etc.) but it's not happening with anything else to my knowledge.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

this is why I was wondering about the tiff file, since it's the night scene and sometimes those can crash DAZ studio

None of these scenes are using any tiff files that I could find.

edited September 2022

The size of the save file has nothing to do with how big or resource hungry a scene is usually, only links to your installed content and whatever changes you made inside the scene are saved in it. If everything would be saved inside the save file, the size would grow to gigabytes.

The computer freezing up, also points to hardware problems.

• My system has problems with that product. If I remember it went straight to CPU and used 64gbs of ram. I'm old so I may not remember that right. 

• Okay, Windows Memory Diagnostic revealed no errors, but I guess I could try MemTest86 just to be sure.

There are testing programs and there are "testing" programs...

The one mentioned in this post found a problem that others didnt;
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6215226/#Comment_6215226

• It does fit on a 3090 when rendering on defualt settings.

AgitatedRiot said:

It does fit on a 3090 when rendering on defualt settings.

Thanks, that is the sort of information we should be given on the product pages.

Surpriced to see that only 30GB's of RAM was used, but the 21GB's of VRAM used, just confirmed, what was talked about in the older thread. 

• Well, I’ve run a couple of OCCT tests, but so far nothing. I ran an extreme CPU test (which tests memory as well) and the Linpack test. I don’t think there were any errors. It doesn’t exactly give reports at the end. Just sort of stops, and has a checkmark.

So I’m really not sure what to do next to figure out what suddenly started to go wrong or why.

AgitatedRiot said:

Sorry. What does this mean? What fits?

edited September 2022

Reality Hack said:

AgitatedRiot said:

The scene fits the VRAM on a 3090 that has 24GB's of it and uses 21GB's of it for IRAY rendering

• But I'm not supposed to be able to render it because my 3070 only has 8GB of VRAM?

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited September 2022

PerttiA said:

Reality Hack said:

AgitatedRiot said:

The scene fits the VRAM on a 3090 that has 24GB's of it and uses 21GB's of it for IRAY rendering

Rendering from system memory and CPU

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on