July 2015 New User Contest - Portrait Rendering [WIP Thread]

Comments

• SamutSamut Posts: 50

I'll check the lighting - it's probably too close and/or strong.

Also, there isn't any architecture behind the camera. Is it possible extending the walls etc. might improve the render by creating more things to bounce light off of?

Regarding how "cooked" the render is, it's at 8,500 samples per pixel. I thought that was a lot. Certainly there didn't seem to be any noticeable change from 8K to 8.5K.

Thanks.

• LimunLimun Posts: 182
    edited July 2015

Daz Studio and PS IRAY Render

wow man i like this one yes 

Post edited by Limun on
  • MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    Samut said:

I'll check the lighting - it's probably too close and/or strong.

Also, there isn't any architecture behind the camera. Is it possible extending the walls etc. might improve the render by creating more things to bounce light off of?

Regarding how "cooked" the render is, it's at 8,500 samples per pixel. I thought that was a lot. Certainly there didn't seem to be any noticeable change from 8K to 8.5K.

Thanks.

8.5K Samples is a lot!!! ;-)

What are your Tone Mapping Settings? Especially the Kernel? You may change this one to >Linear< and click the >Estimate Settings<-Button in case your image is overexposed.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited July 2015

I wasn't intending entering anything but I have been doing lighting experiments with different scenes and this appeared smiley

It is in The Crypt; HDR for the ambient and two spots, white to the left and a red low to the right. The Iray base was added to the hair, excluding skull cap as it was appearing in the render as a head band, and the skin. The eyes haven't been touched and I left them because I liked the effect devil

light-test-iray-004.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 637K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • HitManWAHitManWA Posts: 152

Aiko 6>Daz3D>Reality>Lux

Aiko6.png
    600 x 900 - 1M
    Fishtales said:

I wasn't intending entering anything but I have been doing lighting experiments with different scenes and this appeared smiley

It is in The Crypt; HDR for the ambient and two spots, white to the left and a red low to the right. The Iray base was added to the hair, excluding skull cap as it was appearing in the render as a head band, and the skin. The eyes haven't been touched and I left them because I liked the effect devil

I´m not an Art Critic, but I would like to see both of her eyes. It is a bit distracting that one eye is covered by the hair. And maybe a bit of fuzzy environment light would be nice, most of the background is just black, I wonder whats there? Something even more dangerous is hidding? But thats not good, your character should catch my attention, not my imagination. :-) 

edited July 2015
    MN-150374 said:
    Fishtales said:

I´m not an Art Critic, but I would like to see both of her eyes. It is a bit distracting that one eye is covered by the hair. And maybe a bit of fuzzy environment light would be nice, most of the background is just black, I wonder whats there? Something even more dangerous is hidding? But thats not good, your character should catch my attention, not my imagination. :-) 

Thank you for the critique. I do think you need to adjust your monitor settings as I can see all the wall in the rear on my calibrated monitor. I do realize that not all monitors are the same but the ambient light in the image is really quite bright and on the next image I turned it down smiley I als o feel the part covered eye makes her that bit more mysterious devil

light-test-iray-006.jpg
    640 x 800 - 373K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited July 2015

Changing the image proportions was a good choice. Now she is catching my full attention. ;-)

Post edited by MN-150374 on

The, possibly, final render is baking as we speak. I changed the skin and some other parameters and the eyes changed colour too smiley

• MJWMJW Posts: 517

LASS WITH A PINK BONNET.

Render in 3Delight

Lass with a pink bonnet.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 377K

LASS WITH A PINK BONNET.

Render in IRay.

Exactly the same DS4.8 file, just rendered using IRay

Lass with a pink bonnet iray.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 506K

Nice render. Unfortunately the fingers of her right hand are through the bonnet smiley

edited July 2015

The changes didn't make the image any better frown

light-test-iray-007.jpg
    640 x 800 - 367K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited July 2015

Fishtales said:

Thank you for the critique. I do think you need to adjust your monitor settings as I can see all the wall in the rear on my calibrated monitor. I do realize that not all monitors are the same but the ambient light in the image is really quite bright and on the next image I turned it down smiley

Indeed! Now I´m back at my Main Rendering Machine. The other monitor was really bad. :-)

Post edited by MN-150374 on
  • paramimeparamime Posts: 17
    edited July 2015

Hi

New to Daz 3d. Here's what i have so far. I'd like to make the lips a little less shiny.

Title: First pose

Renderered with IRAY.

First Post

thirdstrike.jpg
    Post edited by paramime on
  • cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,411

Tried Iray, but the results are disappointing, besides it never finished, took ages to go to this stage ...

For now I'll stay with 3Delight.

Hello Dragonfly-Iray.jpg
    700 x 850 - 759K
  • ThunderchiefThunderchief Posts: 21
    edited July 2015

Here is my first go, only been using dad for a couple of weeks.The picture is not a portrait exactly and I was planning on cropping it, but each time I try it seems to lose some thing. 

Created in Daz3D 4.8 iray

Let me know what you think, any general advice would be welcome as well as cropping suggestions.

Thanks

Simon.

(actually I just realised that I have had daz for years, I first downloaded it 3-4 years ago I think. But I didn't use it then.  I have only just started to use it in the last two weeks. I hope that means I'm still eligible for the contest?)

image.jpg
    1920 x 3107 - 2M
    Post edited by Thunderchief on
    edited July 2015

A couple of crop ideas. I like #2.

crop-daz-001.jpg
    1080 x 1189 - 263K
    crop-daz-002.jpg
    857 x 981 - 200K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • KittiKitti Posts: 77

Here is my first go, only been using dad for a couple of weeks.The picture is not a portrait exactly and I was planning on cropping it, but each time I try it seems to lose some thing. 

Created in Daz3D 4.8 iray

Let me know what you think, any general advice would be welcome as well as cropping suggestions.

Thanks

Simon.

(actually I just realised that I have had daz for years, I first downloaded it 3-4 years ago I think. But I didn't use it then.  I have only just started to use it in the last two weeks. I hope that means I'm still eligible for the contest?)

I think you're off to a great start! The only initial recommendation I would make is reposing her left arm it seems a little awkward and unflattering - maybe try resting her hand on the top or side of her thigh. Adjusting the lighting a smidge may also reduce the white hot spots, her clothing & the back wall aren't so bad but the mini dress form kind of stands out. Even adding a slight vignette would counter balance it easily.

As for cropping I think the dimensions are good. Even though wide horizontal art seems to be trendy these days I'm really partial to vertical. If you want to shorten it a little you could probably shave some off the top as it's just wall, but I'd still leave a bit of a gap just above the vanity mirror. 

Are you cropping in DAZ or in Photoshop? I noticed your image is really pretty large - you can probably save some render time by reducing the pixel size, even at 1,000 or 1,200px tall you'll still have great detail. I think you really nailed all the other settings because I don't see any grain which is usually something everyone struggles with, not just new users, so definitely be proud of that!

As far as being eligible just make sure you read the contest rules for each one you enter (and every month because they may change)

• Thanks for the tips guys.  I think I prefer the wider crop from your post Fishtails, but I still might leave it wider still.

You are right about the arm Kitti, I struggled with that. I did try a pose with the hand on the leg but it looked worse in my opinion, I might give it another go.  I think I might also remove or move the mini dress form, it draws the eyes away from her face too much. I might also try to reduce the highlights as well as I think they are a little too much.

thanks again.

cheers

Simon.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,411

Fishtales, I would take the arm away. The face is enough for this beauty.

Fishtales, I would take the arm away. The face is enough for this beauty.

It Isn't mine smiley  It belongs to simonpick_fa681f1

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Hey, what's the size the forum allows these days...I thought I saw it mentioned in the contest rules, but can't find it now:(

• KittiKitti Posts: 77
    Scavenger said:

Hey, what's the size the forum allows these days...I thought I saw it mentioned in the contest rules, but can't find it now:(

I think they don't have a limit now with the new form - it used to be 800px and it was stated in the rules but now there's no mention of it and they haven't flagged any of the larger entires.

• HitManWAHitManWA Posts: 152
    edited July 2015

Daz>IRay>Gimp

Still trying to get a handle on IRay, worked on skin and metal texture. Hair has always been an issue for me.

Post edited by HitManWA on
  • StargazeyStargazey Posts: 244

A bit late in the game, but I'd be grateful for any comments.

Smoking-01A.jpg
    1654 x 2150 - 508K
    Smoking-01A.jpg
    1654 x 2150 - 508K
  • Hi

i have made a few changes based on some of the tips I received. I moved the mini dress, so the focus is not drawn from her face. I also relaxed her arm, not totally happy with that but it think it is better. And I added an extra light to catch her face better. Also I added a crop I'm thinking of going with.

let me know what you think.

cheers

Simon.

image.jpg
    1920 x 3107 - 2M
    image.jpg
    1049 x 1697 - 540K

FULL MOON INVITATION

I have been experimenting with IRay and my own backgrounds, but have found it difficult (impossible) to see the likely outcome until I actually render. This image showed completely black eyes and a completely black background with the current lighting. I could only see them using a Distant Light, which sort of flattened things.

As it takes ages to render in IRay, anybody got any ideas how to get round this issue, please?

Also, what does "3. Upload you image using the Post Reply - Browse to Attachment feature (In other words please do not link to your image but rather post it to the thread)" mean? Is it what I have done here, or should I put the image in my normal gallery and provide a link using the Image icon in the Leave a Comment options?

Full Moon Invitation.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 2M

Answer to my own question about Iray view - switch off preview lights to see the elements. Mind, you still can't see how it looks until you render.......

• MJW said:

Answer to my own question about Iray view - switch off preview lights to see the elements. Mind, you still can't see how it looks until you render.......

if you you have an Nvidia video card (this works without but is a lot slower) you can set the aux viewport to your scene camera and set the render to iray.  This will build up a preview of your scene while you work.  Obviously it takes much more time than a normal view but you can often see the changes with just a few passes of the iray, enough to check overall lighting.

Its how I have been doing it, I tend to leave it turned off when making a lot of changes however.

hope that helps.l

cheers

Simon.