July 2015 New User Contest - Portrait Rendering [WIP Thread]

14567810»

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,271
    edited July 2015
    Kitti said:
    Scavenger said:

Hey, what's the size the forum allows these days...I thought I saw it mentioned in the contest rules, but can't find it now:(

I think they don't have a limit now with the new form - it used to be 800px and it was stated in the rules but now there's no mention of it and they haven't flagged any of the larger entires.

For the forum generally no more than 800 pixels in the thread - it can be larger when clicked. I will ask if there are additional limits for the contest. And be answered - as long as it obeys the forum rules it's fine, size-wise.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    MJW said:

"LASS IN A PINK BONNET"

New version with postwork.

Her fingers are still poking through her pink hat. 

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

So what's the secret to posting a full image rather than a clickable thumbnail?  I keep forgetting to look when I am posting.

MJW said:

FULL MOON INVITATION

I have been experimenting with IRay and my own backgrounds, but have found it difficult (impossible) to see the likely outcome until I actually render. This image showed completely black eyes and a completely black background with the current lighting. I could only see them using a Distant Light, which sort of flattened things.

Ctrl L will enable you to see the scene as you set it up.  (command L on a Mac) 

dHandle said:

So what's the secret to posting a full image rather than a clickable thumbnail?  I keep forgetting to look when I am posting.

Post with the attachment; click the thumbnail; copy the address of the full size image; click on the gears at the top right of your post; edit; in the comment box click on the little square with the hills, at the top; paste the url into the box that pops up; repost. 

• MJWMJW Posts: 516

#Thunderchief

Sadly, not -Radeon R9 270.

I can find how to make an auxiliary window ( new idea!) but if I try to render the program lcoks up as normal. What do I need to do to get it rendering behind the scenes while I work on, please?

•  

MJW said:

#Thunderchief

I can find how to make an auxiliary window ( new idea!) but if I try to render the program lcoks up as normal. What do I need to do to get it rendering behind the scenes while I work on, please?

Like I said, it doesn't really work unless you have a new ish Nvidia card. With an Nvidia card you can go into render settings, and on the advanced tab you can select what is used to render, CPU or gpu or both.  If you select gpu only it will leave your cpu free to do other things.  Even with an Nvidia card it's not quick and it is best to turn it of when making a lot of changes.  I find it most useful when setting up lights and textures.  

I dont think there is a really good solution, you just have to be patient, or buy 4 Titan blacks! ;-)

cheers

Simon.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,115

more work on my elf,,,

I added several distant lights for better effect.I really like the way this one looks so it may be my entry.

I call her "Týril" Meaning: Mastery/Victory (tûr) Female (il) (tûr+il) . I got it from an online tolkien elf name generator.

Týril.jpg
    558 x 904 - 95K
    MJW said:

#Thunderchief

The AUX window is only a preview window, once you start rendering a scene you can't use DAZ Studio until it finishes. I haven't tried it but the only way to keep working in DAZ Studio while rendering is to open a new instance of the program.

• Hi Guys

I have done a final version of my image. I have cropped in close to the face for a true portait look, in the spirit of the contest, although I think the composition as a whole looks better wide. I'm still quite happy with it.

This will be the one i enter so let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Simon.

• Hi Guys

I have done a final version of my image. I have cropped in close to the face for a true portait look, in the spirit of the contest, although I think the composition as a whole looks better wide. I'm still quite happy with it.

This will be the one i enter so let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Simon.

File was too big, oops!  I have attached it to this message hopefully.

Cheers

Simon.

vanity final v3 crop compressed.jpg
    1920 x 3107 - 2M
    icecrmn said:

more work on my elf,,,

I added several distant lights for better effect.I really like the way this one looks so it may be my entry.

I call her "Týril" Meaning: Mastery/Victory (tûr) Female (il) (tûr+il) . I got it from an online tolkien elf name generator.

She's a beauty! I've liked all the versions of this, except..the left arm was a bit awkward. : ) Nicely done!
    Fishtales said:
    dHandle said:

Wow! I would never have stumbled across that! Thx!

Post with the attachment; click the thumbnail; copy the address of the full size image; click on the gears at the top right of your post; edit; in the comment box click on the little square with the hills, at the top; paste the url into the box that pops up; repost. 

• Greetings all, have been away.  Congrats to last months winners, great contest.  I know this is a bit late, would appreciate comments/feedback. Thankssmiley

JulyPortraitContest Jullianna2.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1014K
  • KurzonDaxKurzonDax Posts: 228

Hello all. A little late to the party, but I hope someone might be able to provide some feedback on this.  I know what I think the problem areas are, but could use some external input.

Work is titled "A Pirate Looks at Eighty" (play on the Jimmy Buffett song of a similar name).  

The pirate's skin is custom textured and shaded.  There are a few details for the hands that I want to add in for some realism.  My struggle has been getting the overall color right for the skin, yet still have some consistency in the lighting that carries the mood I am looking for.  I may be overthinking it, though, so would love someone else's thoughts.

Rendered in iray, no postwork. Started learning Daz, and 3D in general, a couple of months ago.  Just now feeling comfortable enough to post something.  Looking forward to your thoughts.

A Pirate Looks at 80 - v9 - WIP Submission.png
    881 x 1247 - 1M
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    KurzonDax said:

Hello all. A little late to the party, but I hope someone might be able to provide some feedback on this.  I know what I think the problem areas are, but could use some external input.

Work is titled "A Pirate Looks at Eighty" (play on the Jimmy Buffett song of a similar name).  

The pirate's skin is custom textured and shaded.  There are a few details for the hands that I want to add in for some realism.  My struggle has been getting the overall color right for the skin, yet still have some consistency in the lighting that carries the mood I am looking for.  I may be overthinking it, though, so would love someone else's thoughts.

Rendered in iray, no postwork. Started learning Daz, and 3D in general, a couple of months ago.  Just now feeling comfortable enough to post something.  Looking forward to your thoughts.

Welcome to the late joiners, well there is something about your gnarled old'n grumpy pirate. My firth thought was that it would be good if he was sitting, so that the interesting parts face and the hand on the glass come closer together. Additionally I would try to use the thirds grid as an orientation where to place the things you want people looking at. You could crop the image as well a little as in the lower part underneath the table there is not much of interest for the viewer.

These are just suggeations, where you want to bring your render to is up to your decision.

• KurzonDaxKurzonDax Posts: 228

Thanks Linwelly.  I actually started with him sitting, but had major problems with getting the coat to conform correctly.  I finally gave up and had him standing.  The cropping is probably my biggest concern.  I don't like it at all present, and you confirmed my thoughts.  I'll continue playing around with it later today.

I appreciate your feedbacksmiley

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180

I've only just been able to get back at this. I think I've got that mix of happy/sad smile I was going for. It's been a struggle keeping her from looking like she wants to kill Batman.

Now I've picked up some artifacts in her hair. Otherwise, it's close - if for no other reason, than I am running out of month.

Reflections_20150727.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 187K

As I am a little stuck with my rainy girl (too lazy to make my own wetmaps and not enought funds to by them, but I will keep on working with that one) I chose a different sort of challenge and tried my hand at a darker skin.

she is V4.2 with the Maria morph but dialed from there on.

Let me hear what you think

black-is-beautiful.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 590K
    ewcarman said:

I've only just been able to get back at this. I think I've got that mix of happy/sad smile I was going for. It's been a struggle keeping her from looking like she wants to kill Batman.

Now I've picked up some artifacts in her hair. Otherwise, it's close - if for no other reason, than I am running out of month.

That hat developed very nicely, everythinkg looks right in place and the game with the reflection turns out very good. Only thing that I was wondering is most things in the mirror seem sharp but on her face is a little fuzziness, I'm not shure if that is my scree, but if you used DOF then maybe there is a chance to make her face more clear.

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    Linwelly said:
    ewcarman said:

That hat developed very nicely, everythinkg looks right in place and the game with the reflection turns out very good. Only thing that I was wondering is most things in the mirror seem sharp but on her face is a little fuzziness, I'm not shure if that is my scree, but if you used DOF then maybe there is a chance to make her face more clear.

Thank you. No DOF, but I did cut the render short. Hopefully a full one works out a little better. 

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

Render times can be an pain in the a...

And for all I tried, Iray renders seem to be worst.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819

One more day to get those images submitted to the entry thread if you have not yet :)

• SamutSamut Posts: 50
    MN-150374 said:
    Samut said:

What are your Tone Mapping Settings? Especially the Kernel? You may change this one to >Linear< and click the >Estimate Settings<-Button in case your image is overexposed.

Thanks - I tried that out, and also tweaked the lighting and added another mesh light pointing right at that dark spot on the left side of her mouth. Here's the result.

2015-07DAZ Contest_5.gif
    1200 x 1000 - 682K