is it possible to increase the size of the menu fonts in studio 4.8.

Comments

• pwiecek said:

Yeah, They're fine when I'm not tired...

...but that would require that I limit my DS sessions to 10 hours at a stretch. ;)

That's funny! Thanks.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781
    namffuak said:
    Byrdie said:

I've been wearing glasses since I was 5,

I should have had glasses at 4 but nobody knew I had a problem until the school got a visit from the Public Health nurse when I was 7 and she sent me home with a letter to go see an opthamologist. Even I didn't know there was anything wrong, I just thought it was normal for some people to see farther than others, just like some kids could normally run faster or climb trees better than others. Glasses were for old folks like grandmothers ... oh how naive I was back then!

:snip:

Net result - mass confusion, foaming at the mouth, and true chaos.

You mean that's NOT the normal state of the Daz?! Who'd a' thunk it?cheeky

• jenrosejenrose Posts: 0

I'm really disappointed. I have Sjogren's syndrome and so my vision is super variable from hour to hour, let alone day to day. I've got a recent glasses prescription and a 23 inch monitor. Changing monitor resolution should NOT be necessary. Adjusting font sizes is basic. So basic. Having them this small is just completely unusable. I have art in my head I was hoping to get out, and was really excited to try this out, but I can't read anything on any of the menus. 

It is ludicrous how tiny the fonts are. I mean, seriously ridiculously small.

Every other program I can read decently at my comfortable distance. This one, the one I wanted to be able to do hours of work in, will injure me if I try, because to get that close to the screen will require contortions.

There is no excuse for it. 

I'm about to embark on a massive project that's going to take years to complete. If it goes well, I'll be buying a lot of stuff from someone. Not, apparently, this company, because they don't want my business. 

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Daz is aware of the font problem and it is being worked on.  However, it is not a simple fix, so we have no estimate for completion.

• I hadn't read this thread yet and just sent my question to Daz about the too small font. It's such a disappointment! It makes it unusable for me. I have tried he Windows 10 magnifier but it is like doing a series of acrobatics continuously. If Daz does not want to fix it I will certainly drop it and spend my time with Blender and Poser, at least they actually seem to care about me USING their software. 

Please DAZ.....don't ruin an Amazing and Accessible product. Revise and Rise!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I hadn't read this thread yet and just sent my question to Daz about the too small font. It's such a disappointment! It makes it unusable for me. I have tried he Windows 10 magnifier but it is like doing a series of acrobatics continuously. If Daz does not want to fix it I will certainly drop it and spend my time with Blender and Poser, at least they actually seem to care about me USING their software. 

Please DAZ.....don't ruin an Amazing and Accessible product. Revise and Rise!

It is not a question of wanting/not wanting to fix it...they (the devs) are working to FIX it.  The problem is that it requires much more work than a simple change in a setting and a recompile of the code.  The fix will happen, but when it does, it will probably be a major update (probably when Studio 5 is released) because it will require a change in Qt, which is sort of the backbone of Studio.

• Thanks so much for the clarification :- ) I guess not it is just to be very patient...

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2016

seeing the OP goes back to June 2015 this specific request is coming up on a year and the privatized bug tracking system that replaced the community accessible Mantis is no longer an option to see when this was first request many of us are left wondering what if anything will become of this request. 

While I understand there is a lot of work needed to implement this it does not seem like this priority is high on the list and those of use with vision issues continue to wait to the nearly year old response "they're working on it."

this is not the elusive "make art" button, it's not even implementing an entirely new proprietary rendering option, it's changing the size of a font, something other applications do in their sleep and DS has been continually thwarted by this Gordians knot of a request.  

so is it possible to know what has been accomplished at this time? if we can expect anything?

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,087
    edited May 2016

As mcj1016 and I have posted above - this is a non-trivial fix, requiring upgrading to Qt 5+. IIRC, the DAZ SDK, used for developing all plugins, is actually an expanded version of the Qt SDK - so the upgrade to Qt 5 is going to break every plugin and some number of scripts. DAZ can (and will) update their plugins and scripts as part of the testing process, but that still leaves a number of significant plugins to be re-worked by third parties: Luxus, Reality, Look at my Hair, Garibaldi - and more I'm probably not aware of.

This is not a matter of just dropping Qt 5 into the workflow; major environment calls for screen interface elements changed in Qt 5 and the entire UI will need to be retested for quite some time before the outside alpha testers get their hands on it. Once the new version is mostly stable the outside beta testers and plugin developers will start pounding on it - and finding interesting ways of causing failures. This process just cannot be rushed.

And for those who wondr if maybe DAZ had been better off by using an internally developed UI that did not require waiting for others to implement features - look at the threads on Hexagon and Carrara, complaining about the lack of upgrades; these products did use an internally developed UI code set . . .

Post edited by namffuak on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    namffuak said:

As mcj1016 and I have posted above - this is a non-trivial fix, requiring upgrading to Qt 5+. IIRC, the DAZ SDK, used for developing all plugins, is actually an expanded version of the Qt SDK - so the upgrade to Qt 5 is going to break every plugin and some number of scripts. DAZ can (and will) update their plugins and scripts as part of the testing process, but that still leaves a number of significant plugins to be re-worked by third parties: Luxus, Reality, Look at my Hair, Garibaldi - and more I'm probably not aware of.

This is not a matter of just dropping Qt 5 into the workflow; major environment calls for screen interface elements changed in Qt 5 and the entire UI will need to be retested for quite some time before the outside alpha testers get their hands on it. Once the new version is mostly stable the outside beta testers and plugin developers will start pounding on it - and finding interesting ways of causing failures. This process just cannot be rushed.

And for those who wondr if maybe DAZ had been better off by using an internally developed UI that did not require waiting for others to implement features - look at the threads on Hexagon and Carrara, complaining about the lack of upgrades; these products did use an internally developed UI code set . . .

And the problem is not specific to Studio...but to almost anything that uses Qt and tries to run on a 4k/'super' monitor.   The work on Qt 5 has been going on for a couple of years now and wasn't really expected to be done/needed already.  Some things can simply be recompiled against the new version...but not most.

• gMAKgMAK Posts: 26
    edited May 2016

lets forget the "calculate that people with accessibility are small number",  and look at it from a disposable income view point - i too am having issue with the small font.   i've been away for a while (work and life)  but have decided to really get on board and learn DAZ and its DAZ only content - but if i cant see the tiny letters than maybe not..  by my calc i dumped $XXK in content and software in 3d stuff.  So its not what to spend by where!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post edited by gMAK on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,034

No one is denying that this is an issue for people with high resolution monitors or with visual issues - and it is a feature that is being worked on. But, as is explained above, it is not something that can be rolled out immediately.

• LwanmtrLwanmtr Posts: 13

Just found this thread looking for a way to make the interface readable, so I figured I'd ask if there's any new info, timeline, etc?

• On Windows 4.9.2.70+ DS will respect the system DPI setting (in the Display Settings window for Windows 10). The work mentioned above is continuing, but this offers a stopgap for now.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,752

What is "QT?!"

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

What is "QT?!"

According to Wikipedia

Qt  is a cross-platform application framework that is used for developing application software that can be run on various software and hardware platforms with little or no change in the underlying codebase, while still being a native application with native capabilities and speed.

Chohole, thanks. I did a Google search after I posted the question. I was a bit lazy this morning.

laugh

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,209

What is "QT?!"

The framework DS code (including the one handling the GUI) is based on. Current version of DS uses Qt 4, and the fix would require moving to Qt 5, which is a major upgrade.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

You may be able to improve readability on hdpi monitors by changing the setting in the  compatibility tab under the DAZ shortcut properties,   uncheck the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and DAZ should be more readable.

• Daz is aware of the font problem and it is being worked on.  However, it is not a simple fix, so we have no estimate for completion.

I saw this mentioned on a post from January of 2016.  But here we are well over a full year later and the issue still persists.  I'm seriously finding it hard to believe that they actually are working on it.  I mean seriously a YEAR+???  Someone should probably be fired if it's taking this long to get things done there.  (and yes I do realize 'it is not a simple fix', but they have a whole team of programmers, and need I mention again that they've been 'working on it' for well over a YEAR??)

• As was said, it is not a trivial matter. There is a workaround for Windows users using the OS font scaling.

I'm going to stop following this thread. I believe DAZ is doing what they can to handle this matter. If I understand it's all part of a potential new version release of DAZ Studio. Onward and Upward!

• functionfunction Posts: 279

Can I dig this post out 3 years after the last reply? Is there anyway to solve the font problem? 

32 inch with 2560 x 1440 is really difficult to my eye. crying

• function said:

Can I dig this post out 3 years after the last reply? Is there anyway to solve the font problem? 

32 inch with 2560 x 1440 is really difficult to my eye. crying

As was said, it is not a trivial matter. There is a workaround for Windows users using the OS font scaling.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

Daz is aware of the font problem and it is being worked on.  However, it is not a simple fix, so we have no estimate for completion.

Almost four years ago. Heh. That was prophetic.

• I have a 4k monitor at work. In order to avoid daily migraines using it, I've had to drop the resolution to 2k.

My own programs are a problem with it too. I think I'm going to have to come up with a method of drawing the menus from scratch at a sensible size based on a desired actual physical height and then scaling images and nominal font sizes to fit that. As was suggested earlier, it's non-trivial. But if it takes 4 years, this rather implies that either the apprentice, or nobody, is working on it.

• I have a 4k monitor at work. In order to avoid daily migraines using it, I've had to drop the resolution to 2k.

My own programs are a problem with it too. I think I'm going to have to come up with a method of drawing the menus from scratch at a sensible size based on a desired actual physical height and then scaling images and nominal font sizes to fit that. As was suggested earlier, it's non-trivial. But if it takes 4 years, this rather implies that either the apprentice, or nobody, is working on it.

The Daz development teak is quite small, so it is indeed possible that there have been times when oher thmngs have taken priority - you can probably get an idea by reviewing the Change log for updating UI elements to use Qt 5/eliminate Qt 3.

• AnimAnim Posts: 241

I would also love to get that fixed. It is such a pity that the leading consumer 3d tool can create great renders but its interface technically looks like being from the 80th. But, Substance Painter has the same issue and I assume they have a bigger team at Adobe. Best solution I have seen so far is in Blender. It does not have a scaling issue at all.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,955
    mavante said:

Almost four years ago. Heh. That was prophetic.

As I said before, there's a work-around so I am speculating, theorizing and guessing that it is not a high priority as this issue has been ongoing since 4 years ago, I have even taken to using reading glasses when using DS...

• TBRTBR Posts: 0

Sure glad DAZ Studio 4.12 Pro was free...

Because its 4K display is still tiny, and even the interative lessons refuse to adapt to the window... the "continue" button is unaccessible.

So my artwork biuget will go to different vendors.