EULA Update & Editorial Licenses Coming to Daz

1101112131416»

Comments

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 319

Matt_Castle said:

Given that some parts of today's car bundle have the restricted licence and other parts don't, I feel I need to re-express my displeasure at the extremely poor way these products are marked on store.

Thanks for the heads up.  I only looked at the images in the bundle itself and wouldn't have known that I couldn't use some of what I'd purchased.  I suspect a lot of people are going to be very unhappy when they find out about this.  It's debatable if the editorial licensing is even enforceable for those parts of the bundle since the page offers an interactive licence for the entire bundle.

• Crescent said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I only looked at the images in the bundle itself and wouldn't have known that I couldn't use some of what I'd purchased.  I suspect a lot of people are going to be very unhappy when they find out about this.  It's debatable if the editorial licensing is even enforceable for those parts of the bundle since the page offers an interactive licence for the entire bundle.

I had the same problem myself and almost got the bundle.  They should separate the one EL vehicle from the bundle, lower the price slightly, and then have it set with the normal licensing options.  I think anything with an EL should be baseline extremely inexpensive, if not free, and have a larger disclaimer.  We can't use these commercially in a clearly defined way like the other licenses, so there isn't any ROI.

• generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 506
    edited March 21

As long as they don't retroactively change the license. If they did, it would need a notice or an overview of all licensing with filtering. It really would make sense to have such.

"Allows new Daz store content to include additional license restrictions beyond the standard agreement on the product page. For example, a trademarked product may include additional information."

This is a bit of an issue, especially if PAs "forget" to mention such for the initial release, just to add it later. Also if restrictions got written in the text somewhere more or less at random, could be an issue. For (machine-) readability, it would really be helpful to have some reliable anchor/tag/HTML-something, to be able to detect that licensing restrictions apply. Even better if the restricting paragraph is enclosed such, that it's distinguishable from other random text. Just from experinece with one other place :p.

The formula says "new DAZ store content", so changing existing products retroactively, hopefully isn't on the table anyway.

Post edited by generalgameplaying on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,216

There was one occasion of a license type being changed substantially after launch, it is our understanding that Daz will not do that again (changes due to errors on the launch day, as may be needed for the cars today, would perhaps be another matter).

• Richard Haseltine said:

There was one occasion of a license type being changed substantially after launch, it is our understanding that Daz will not do that again (changes due to errors on the launch day, as may be needed for the cars today, would perhaps be another matter).

I'd also assume such rather to be accidents, if it happens again. Supposedly, such items could be refunded easily. Wouldn't mind a notification, if it happened for items i've bought, though.

The other thing is, how to keep track of present licenses for stuff i have intentionally bought, possibly a mix of any of those licenses. A tool to fetch/know the licenses i have would be really cool (and quite nice to have: which ones are available, that i don't have), like within DAZ Studio.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439

We've been asking for something to be able to easily identify the Editorial License products. I made a suggestion to @Totte at one point to see if he could do a plug-in product or something for it.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,535

So far there is really no information AFAIK that can be used to identify if a product has an editorial license when it has been installed in Studio.

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,640

Totte said:

So far there is really no information AFAIK that can be used to identify if a product has an editorial license when it has been installed in Studio.

There isn't.

Is the information on the store page readable by a script? (i.e. could a script cross-check a product ID with its store page and download said information?) I've no idea what the limits are on DS scripting, particularly with looking outside the program itself. 

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,363

Totte said:

Something I mean to do (I did purchase the Star Trek stuff, but I'm not installing it until I can clearly sort out that it's restricted) is to see if I can sort out a script to watermark all the library images. And for the morphs, probably renaming them with (EL) at the start of their labels so that it's clear they're restricted.

This will need me to specifically *flag* that these things are EL and watch out carefully for product updates overwriting the thumbnails, but it's a start.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158

My concern

If this ELUA Editorial License change will be applied to older purchased products, that were bought on the old ELUA, because if so there is going to be a lot of very unhappy people.  How would daz enforce what is old sales and new Editorial License sales when being flagged on Youtube or other social media?

Even though it has not been officially stated as of yet on if a Editorial License will be applied to recent sold content. that is my concern.

I have Ten's of thousand of dollars of Daz3d content I have been using commercially.  Including a lot of recent Genesis 8 and new environment sets.  So I have a legitimate concern to ask about the future of this ELUA change regarding the Editorial License being applied to recent purchased content.

I must say making ELUA license changes that would include past purchased products would not be acceptable and I sure hope daz clarifies this concern in written within the ELUA .

I have 1000's of commercial animations and comics that I already either sold or have posted on public social media.  which if older content was included within the Editorial License would be greatly effected my public works if this Editorial License were to be retroactively applied to purchased content before these ELUA change. and how will  we be able to prove to Youtube or other platforms that we had purchased the content before the end license changes.  I post a live link to the Daz ELUA on my wed site and on all my animations.  so any new ELUA changes not reflecting past purchases would really get sticky trying to prove that we bought the content before the Daz ELUA changes if you get my meaning.

Someone have any clarification on this please ?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,216

Ivy said:

My concern

If this ELUA Editorial License change will be applied to older purchased products, that were bought on the old ELUA, because if so there is going to be a lot of very unhappy people.  How would daz enforce what is old sales and new Editorial License sales when being flagged on Youtube or other social media?

This thread is nearly two years old, and there is alreadya  fair bit of Editorial License content in the store - see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/608786/a-thread-for-items-with-the-editorial-license#latest

One item, the Killminger Hair, had its license changed due to using the look and name of a copyright/trademark figure - however, after that Daz said that in future they would simply pull such products and not try to change the license. The exception to that would be correcting launch errors, as with the cars yesterday.

Even though it has not been officially stated as of yet on if a Editorial License will be applied to recent sold content. that is my concern.

Editorial License content is a specific sub-set - essentially content that would not have been released at all under the standard license. Obviously it isn't in anyone's interest to apply it more broadly than necessary, since it is potentially reducing sales.

I have Ten's of thousand of dollars of Daz3d content I have been using commercially.  Including a lot of recent Genesis 8 and new environment sets.  So I have a legitimate concern to ask about the future of this ELUA change regarding the Editorial License being applied to recent purchased content.

It is a new(ish) license for specific purposes, not a general change

I must say making ELUA license changes that would include past purchased products would not be acceptable and I sure hope daz clarifies this concern in written within the ELUA .

Again, this is for specific items and is not going to be applied where it isn't needed, nor will it be ap[lied retroactively

I have 1000's of commercial animations and comics that I already either sold or have posted on public social media.  which if older content was included within the Editorial License would be greatly effected my public works if this Editorial License were to be retroactively applied to purchased content before these ELUA change. and how will  we be able to prove to Youtube or other platforms that we had purchased the content before the end license changes.  I post a live link to the Daz ELUA on my wed site and on all my animations.  so any new ELUA changes not reflecting past purchases would really get sticky trying to prove that we bought the content before the Daz ELUA changes if you get my meaning.

Someone have any clarification on this please ?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158

Thank you Richarad , that was exactly what I needed to know