How to apply Genesis 8.1 skin on Genesis 8?

2»

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited February 2023

...even after following all the steps  in the video, for some reason it is not loading the saved G8.1 UV as it doesn't show up as an option in the Surfaces tab.when  I select the G8 character I have in the viewport.  Not sure what is going wrong or what I could have missed. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited February 2023

mding said:

kyoto kid said:

...I switched both the 8.1F and 8F Developer Load to "base" but it still happens.

Hm, I meant the target figure you wanted to use the skin preset on. I loaded the developer load g8f and did the same and again it worked switching from 8.1uv to...

So here a shoutout to @Gordig: Could you help kyoto kid, please, I have no idea what went wrong in the process...

..well I almost go it to finally work (no more black neck) but the shoulders and back ofthe head have the same pattern as above though in black.

8.1 - 8 skin transfer.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 207K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited February 2023

you can always use map transfer between the 2 UVs on G8.1 like I do

only issue is you may get a separate body and head map you need to join, easy enough in Gimp or your editor of choice

I think that was going from G8 to G8.1 UV though not the other way

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

kyoto kid said:

...even after following all the steps  in the video, for some reason it is not loading the saved G8.1 UV as it doesn't show up as an option in the Surfaces tab.when  I select the G8 character I have in the viewport.  Not sure what is going wrong or what I could have missed. 

Is this in the same session as you're importing the new UV? Something I failed to mention in the video, but did include in the description, is that you have to save the UV itself (File -> Save As -> Support Asset -> UV Asset).

edited February 2023

...it was a later session.

In the video the steps for saving the UV are  File > Save As > Support Asset > "Save Modified Asset", Instead of "UV Asset".  When I went through the sequence and selected "UV Asset" instead, the body, neck, and head texture transferred, but with that odd pattern on the back of the head and shoulders in black like the image I posted above.

"@mding, when I set the UV of the target charcter to "Base Female", I get the  black neck and back of the head again.

ETA 

It appears that the map for the back of the head and neck is not lining up correctly when the G8.1 Body map is pasted to the G8 Torso like it does in the video.  

....please see my response on YouTube 

edited February 2023

Update:

....well finally got the transfer to work, albeit with a bit more effort needed.  Apparently figures that have a separate head and body texture are the problematic ones. The character skin I have been trying to use has not only separate materials for the head and body, but five different ones for the head alone. (no freckles, three densities of freckles, and no makeup. 

To deal with that required creating a separate head surface for the G8 character using the Geometry Editor.  There is a bit of overlap between G8 and 8.1  which made for odd colouration between along the collarbone so I avoid ed using those polys as part of the surface zone (also setting to target character to the 8.1 UV adds the neck texture)

Doing that allowed and applying the head texture from the 8.1 character  to the new surface on the G8 one. 

While the swap looked fine in OpenGL view, shifting to Iray view mode caused all the skin to turn green . Apparently there were several of SSS values involved that didn't translate well which changed the SSS value on the target character from "Mono" to "Specular".  Changing it back fixed that teh green issue, however she now looked as if she had a terrible case of sunburn and the texture on the new Head surface had a bit of sheen  This required adjusting several surface channels including Transmitted Colour (which transferred as a shade of orange instead of white)  SSS Reflective Tint (to a light blue), Translucency Colour to match that of other surface areas, and SSS Amount to 1,00. Setting the Glossy Layered Weight channel to 0,00 got rid of the sheen on the head and neck surface.

So a few extra adjustments were required (again likely due to the SSS setup of the 8.1 character) and she finally looked a lot better.   

Leela Moryen skin test.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 226K