How to apply Genesis 8.1 skin on Genesis 8?

I'm trying to make a wet skin texture for a Genesis 8.1 skin, but the Wet and Tanned Skins products are only up to G8 at this point. So a workaround is to apply the G8.1 skin on a G8 figure and then load Wet and Tanned skins on the G8, but the G8.1 skin doesn't apply correctly because of the torso and head division. Is there any way to apply it on G8 seamlessly?

Comments

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,898

Can't do it :/

G8 skins work on G8.1 but not the other way around.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

It is possible, following the steps in this tutorial I made:

• RobertDyRobertDy Posts: 265

Gordig said:

It is possible, following the steps in this tutorial I made:

Thanks, I gave it a try but the UV map was invalid when I tried to load it on G8 Dev Load. What are the correct settings for exporting as wavefront obj from the G8.1 Dev Load? The video doesn't show it.

edited March 2022

Here are my export settings. I think they're basically default. I just tested it again and it worked just fine. Are you making sure to export the G8.1 as base resolution?

UVexp.PNG
    482 x 779 - 54K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • RobertDyRobertDy Posts: 265
    edited March 2022

Yes I followed every step and setting, however, I couldn't find the custom-named G8.1 UV map in G8's UV map options, so this tells me that something's missing, but I followed everty single step and setting in the video. When loading the UV map on G8 Dev Load, does the G8 Dev Load need to be set to base as well? The video doesn't say anything so I assumed that G8 Dev Load was to be at high res.

Post edited by RobertDy on

In my experience, it isn't necessary to set G8 to base resolution before importing the UV. I can't reproduce the problem you're having, so I don't know what to suggest in order to fix it.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,213

@Gordig: Thankyou so much for that YT video, now I can put 8.1 skins on Genesis 2!

I would like to add for everybody else interested, that as I didn't know what "map transfer" is you are referring to in your tutorial to get the skin on Genesis 3, I tried saving as material preset and loading on G3F, which luckily worked. I did the same then with G3F and loaded it on G2F using the https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s product and voila - ECK Petal for Genesis 8.1 (right) skin on Aspen for Gia 6 (left). Thanks Gordig for opening that door for me!

G81FonG2F.png
    800 x 800 - 399K

Happy to help! Incidentally, a commenter on Youtube made me realize that it's a less complete solution than I thought when I made that video, because core figure skins tend to extend the texture beyond the limits of the mesh, which covering up seams that other characters left behind. Glad it worked out for you in this case, though.

Gordig said:

Happy to help! Incidentally, a commenter on Youtube made me realize that it's a less complete solution than I thought when I made that video, because core figure skins tend to extend the texture beyond the limits of the mesh, which covering up seams that other characters left behind. Glad it worked out for you in this case, though.

@Gordig: I guess with "core figure" you mean a product like https://www.daz3d.com/arianna-81.

Unfortunately I don't own yet such a figure, so I can't find out if it is indeed a problem. I only recently opened up for 8.1 when G9 was introduced, and don't want to invest that much yet.

Yes, core figures are the "name and number" figures. If it's working for you, then awesome.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...so what about on custom dialed characters as I rarely if ever use a specific base character straight out of the box?

edited February 2023

kyoto kid: Stephanie 6 with 100% Bodybuilder and 100% Pear Figure using ECK Petal like above, slightly different light i think.

If I misunderstood, please tell me what I shall try.

steph1.png
    655 x 1080 - 367K
    Post edited by mding on
    edited February 2023

...I do a lot of character "mixing" as well which includes some G3 morphs/shapes imported via XTransfer. 

Also after watching the tutoria it isn;tc;lear as to where you export the 8.1 UV set to  When I try to export it after changing the resolution to base it opens a location I have for .obj files which I am sure isn't where it is supposed to go.  The same goes for where to save the new renamed G8 Dev Load after the 8.1 UV is applied..

ETA

OK figured that part out however when  I past the Body textrue fron 8.1F character  to the Torso of the G8F character the neck and back of the head come out black. Not sure what I did wrong.  I did reduce the resolution on the G8.1 Development Load to Base so that can't be it.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

@kyoto kid: I had a similar problem with G8f and it was solved by switching uv maps to base female. can't explain why, but it worked. Maybe you are lucky, too?

...I switched both the 8.1F and 8F Developer Load to "base" but it still happens.

kyoto kid said:

...I switched both the 8.1F and 8F Developer Load to "base" but it still happens.

Hm, I meant the target figure you wanted to use the skin preset on. I loaded the developer load g8f and did the same and again it worked switching from 8.1uv to...

base uv:

So here a shoutout to @Gordig: Could you help kyoto kid, please, I have no idea what went wrong in the process...

fault1.png
    600 x 780 - 360K
    fault2.png
    600 x 780 - 363K

I'd need to know more about KK's procedure, since there isn't a lot of detail for me to work with at this point.

edited February 2023

...I followed every step in the Tutorial. as well as also changed the G8 Devload mesh resolution to "base".  I also made sure the  Export Options  matched the same settings as in your Screenshot. I also remembered to apply the individual G8.1F Body surface to the G8F Torso.

This is why I asked about custom dialled characters as I was trying to apply the Moryen texture to my custom dialled Leela8 character. who is built with a mix of a few different characters, not just based on a single one.  Settings: Body: Amelia 8 100%  Layla8: 0.16.  Head:: Adria8 45% Scary Mary8:15%, Molly7 20%  Amber7 20% Tween Julie7 20%  (the latter three converted to G8F with XTransfer).

kyoto kid said:

...I followed every step in the Tutorial. as well as also changed the G8 Devload mesh resolution to "base".  I also made sure the  Export Options  matched the same settings as in your Screenshot. I also remembered to apply the individual G8.1F Body surface to the G8F Torso.

Did you change the UV of G8's torso surface to the new one?

This is why I asked about custom dialled characters as I was trying to apply the Moryen texture to my custom dialled Leela8 character. who is built with a mix of a few different characters, not just based on a single one.  Settings: Body: Amelia 8 100%  Layla8: 0.16.  Head:: Adria8 45% Scary Mary8:15%, Molly7 20%  Amber7 20% Tween Julie7 20%  (the latter three converted to G8F with XTransfer).

Morphs don't affect the UV, so what sort of problem do you imagine them posing? 

edited February 2023

...yes I remembered to do that step after I applied all the surfaces first. .

As to the morphs/shapes it was the fact that some (like the head morphs I mentioned) originally were for G3F but transferred via Zev0's XTransfer utility.

One thing I did notice that seems a bit different in the operation is when I export the 8.1F UV,  a folder is opened in Carrara (?)  to send the obj to.  I don't notice that happening in your video Likewise when I import the UV set to the 8F Devload,, that same folder is opened again. 

I think I found the issue. For some reason the saved asset is not showing up in the UV Set Channel even though I followed all the steps exactly as they are on your video (even named the UV Asset the same)  Again I think the issue is because it is exporting  to a Carrara 8.5 instead of wherever it needs to go in Daz, but I don't know where that .obj is supposed to export to in Daz so it can be applied to the G8F Devload. 

It seems your setup a bit different than mine in that I see no folders pop up on the screen when you export, import, or save.

Need to turn it as it's late (after 02:00),  I'll check for a response after I get up.

Are you doing all this in Carrara? The "UV" you're exporting is just an OBJ, so you can put that wherever you want. If you usually export OBJ files to a Carrara folder, that would explain that folder opening.

edited February 2023

...no, that's the odd thing, I'm doing this in Daz but for some reason  when I go to export the 8.1 UV .obj it automatically opens a folder in C:/Documents/Daz 3D/Carrara 8.5/My Presets titled My Objects where scenes created in Carrara are saved instead.

Not sure why this is happening as there isn't even a bridge between the two programmes.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

kyoto kid said:

...no, that's the odd thing, I'm doing this in Daz but for some reason  when I go to export the 8.1 UV .obj it automatically opens a folder in C:/Documents/Daz 3D/Carrara 8.5/My Presets titled My Objects where scenes created in Carrara are saved instead.

Not sure why this is happening as there isn't even a bridge between the two programmes.

DS remembers which folders have been used the last time for different purposes 

...I never save anything from Daz to Carrara as like I mentioned, there is no transfer bridge like for Bryce and Hexagon.  I do have an .obj folder under Other Formats in the Content Tab which is for .obj content (usually freebees but also for items form CGTrader and Trubosquid).

Again the tutorial wasn't totally clear on where the 8.1 UV is to be exported to in order to save it to G8 and call it up in the Surfaces Tab.  Obviously it isn't the Carrara folder I keep seeing.

• once it is saved as a UV you don't need the obj

kyoto kid said:

...I never save anything from Daz to Carrara as like I mentioned, there is no transfer bridge like for Bryce and Hexagon.  I do have an .obj folder under Other Formats in the Content Tab which is for .obj content (usually freebees but also for items form CGTrader and Trubosquid).

Again the tutorial wasn't totally clear on where the 8.1 UV is to be exported to in order to save it to G8 and call it up in the Surfaces Tab.  Obviously it isn't the Carrara folder I keep seeing.

It doesn't matter where you save the OBJ as long as you can find it when it's time to import it.

edited February 2023

...ugh getting tired of these bloody bad gateway errors.  Daz tech support needs to seriously address this rubbish as it is getting very very old.

...that said redeited the post to ftry and make what I am seeing more clear.when the Daz forums server went south. 

What was the destination to where you exported 8.1 UV to?  I didn't see a folder pop up. Also When you say "save" where do you save to as again, I don't see any folders opening up.

I didn't see a separate "import" after exporting the 8.1 UV. is that the one which uses the sequence Edit > Figure > Geometry > Load UV set.  This is where I think the Daz programme is looking for the UV set .obj  in an internal folder, not the Carrara one in C:/Documents. . This is also likely why I feel the "Base 8.1 Female " UV set it did not appear the dropdown menu of the UV Set channel in the surfaces tab.

Export G8.1 as an OBJ. Save this wherever you want, it doesn't matter. This is the OBJ file you will load when you load a new UV for G8.

..where did you export it to? 

Using the Edit > Figure > Geometry > Load UV set to load the 8.1 UV to G8 apparently didn't look in the C:/documents/DAZ 3D/Carrara 8.5/presets/objects folder. folder as like I mentioned, it didn't appear as an option in the Load UV Set channel. of the Surfaced Tab. Shouldn't it have gone to a location like C:/documents/DAZ 3D/DazTmp folder instead?

• It will default to the last folder used, if it still exists.