Iray Ghost Light Fix (dse) for Daz Studio 4.20 o later

124»

Comments

• RobertDyRobertDy Posts: 236
    edited March 2022

Not working. I downloaded the latest version of the script, applied it. The script can't even detect the Ghost Lights I'm using. The lights I'm using are from Iray Ghost Light Kit 2, so I'm not sure if your script was meant for Kit 1 only.

Post edited by RobertDy on
  • nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,874
    edited March 2022

Well, I'm having serious issues right now. I have an enclosed space I'm trying to light up (basically, the room from the product Child's Play) and out of the box, with Iray it renders almost pitch black in there. I went to the included ceiling light and upped the lums in the emitter surface to something with a lot more zeros in it, until Iray preview showed a nice amount of light in there... but it renders with what looks like a massive amount of film grain throughout the entire room, presumably this is what others have been calling fireflies.  I reverted that back to the original 100 lums, inserted a ghost light, and tried upping the lums on that to the same sort of huge number of zeros... and got the same massive-fireflies effect.  I then tried reverting the ghostlight back down to 1000 lums, and then applied the newest version of the Iray Ghost Light Fix script on that ghostlight... and got a pitch-black room again.  If I up the lums on the ghostlight back to 1000000000 lums, I have the 10,000 fireflies again.  0o

What am I doing wrong?  o0

ghostlight graininess 20220311.png
    1920 x 1050 - 2M
    Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

RobertDy said:

Not working. I downloaded the latest version of the script, applied it. The script can't even detect the Ghost Lights I'm using. The lights I'm using are from Iray Ghost Light Kit 2, so I'm not sure if your script was meant for Kit 1 only.

The script is limited to detect scenes node meshes, I'll update it later today to detect other type of node props.

nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

Well, I'm having serious issues right now. I have an enclosed space I'm trying to light up (basically, the room from the product Child's Play) and out of the box, with Iray it renders almost pitch black in there. I went to the included ceiling light and upped the lums in the emitter surface to something with a lot more zeros in it, until Iray preview showed a nice amount of light in there... but it renders with what looks like a massive amount of film grain throughout the entire room, presumably this is what others have been calling fireflies.  I reverted that back to the original 100 lums, inserted a ghost light, and tried upping the lums on that to the same sort of huge number of zeros... and got the same massive-fireflies effect.  I then tried reverting the ghostlight back down to 1000 lums, and then applied the newest version of the Iray Ghost Light Fix script on that ghostlight... and got a pitch-black room again.  If I up the lums on the ghostlight back to 1000000000 lums, I have the 10,000 fireflies again.  0o

What am I doing wrong?  o0

Try setting this after applying the script fix:

1. Surfaces/Emission/Cutout opacity to 1
    2. Surfaces/Emission/Luminance to 1638400*
    3. Surfaces/Luminance Units to lm 
    4. Parameters/Display/Iray/Enable Iray Matte On
    5. Parameters/Display/Iray/Iray Visible to Primary Rays to Off

*.- Customize to your scene.

HTH

• Set cutout opacity to 1 with the ghostlight, or with the room's included lightbulb?  I ask because setting the ghostlight to opacity of 1 kinda negates the purpose of it being a ghostlight, since I need the ghostlight itself to be invisible, and I will be pointing at least one camera upwards at a steep angle, such that the ceiling will be plainly visible... which is why I didn't opt to just hide the celing and let the natural light in.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922e said:

Set cutout opacity to 1 with the ghostlight, or with the room's included lightbulb?  I ask because setting the ghostlight to opacity of 1 kinda negates the purpose of it being a ghostlight, since I need the ghostlight itself to be invisible, and I will be pointing at least one camera upwards at a steep angle, such that the ceiling will be plainly visible... which is why I didn't opt to just hide the celing and let the natural light in.

Thenother settings take care of - more-or-less- hiding the geometry

Set cutout opacity to 1 with the ghostlight, or with the room's included lightbulb?  I ask because setting the ghostlight to opacity of 1 kinda negates the purpose of it being a ghostlight, since I need the ghostlight itself to be invisible, and I will be pointing at least one camera upwards at a steep angle, such that the ceiling will be plainly visible... which is why I didn't opt to just hide the celing and let the natural light in.

Using Cutout opacity to 1 in combination with Iray Visible to Primary Rays is an alternate method that hides emitter and allows more control over light, otherwise you'll have tu keep pumping up Luminance value.

• Well, in the interrum, I tried going with one of the SY Invisilights, specifically the Orblight from that package, more or less out of the box, placed up where the ceiling light is...  and the render was still going at 2 hours and 14 minutes, with 0 convergeance, before I gave up on it stopped the render.  I'll have to try this again late tonight or sometime tomorrow with the ghostlight back in play (I had it hidden, and will have to hide the Invisilight instead) but it completely flabberghasts me that something like this should take even remotely that long to render.  I was expecting a 15 or 20 minute render, and since I have something like 10 camera angles to render in this project... a several-hours-long render for each of those is not an option.  0O

This is on a 1060 card, rendering at 1800x1200.  Weren't Ghostlights and Invisilights supposed to make for vastly faster render times?  o0

edited March 2022

Well, in the interrum, I tried going with one of the SY Invisilights, specifically the Orblight from that package, more or less out of the box, placed up where the ceiling light is...  and the render was still going at 2 hours and 14 minutes, with 0 convergeance, before I gave up on it stopped the render.  I'll have to try this again late tonight or sometime tomorrow with the ghostlight back in play (I had it hidden, and will have to hide the Invisilight instead) but it completely flabberghasts me that something like this should take even remotely that long to render.  I was expecting a 15 or 20 minute render, and since I have something like 10 camera angles to render in this project... a several-hours-long render for each of those is not an option.  0O

This is on a 1060 card, rendering at 1800x1200.  Weren't Ghostlights and Invisilights supposed to make for vastly faster render times?  o0

Make sure you are still rendering with GPU, sometimes restarting Daz Studio frees some resources. Check your log file to see if GPU is being used.

This render took 5 minutes and it contains 79 lights.

ROG.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by jag11 on
  • Not really sure what was going on earlier (something in Daz not freeing up resources, maybe?) but it later got to 99% convergance by the time it hit the automatic stop point at 2 hours and 20-something minutes.  Thanks for the tips.

jag11 said:

RobertDy said:

The script is limited to detect scenes node meshes, I'll update it later today to detect other type of node props.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it!

• The link doesn't seem to work anymore.  There's nothing there to download.  Can you fix it?

Here is the latest version, updated today.

Original post will be updated as well.

zip
    zip
    IrayGhostLightFix.zip

jag11 said:

Thanks for the effort! I tried it, this time it detects lights from Iray Ghost Light Kit 2, and I applied them successfully, but the lights still don't work. I get the two new properties Enable Iray Matte and Iray Visible to Primary Rays, I toggled the latter On and Off, still doesn't work.

• M-CM-C Posts: 102

RobertDy said:

jag11 said:

Thanks for the effort! I tried it, this time it detects lights from Iray Ghost Light Kit 2, and I applied them successfully, but the lights still don't work. I get the two new properties Enable Iray Matte and Iray Visible to Primary Rays, I toggled the latter On and Off, still doesn't work.

Try removing the black map from the opacity chanel of the ghost light.

M-C said:

RobertDy said:

jag11 said:

Try removing the black map from the opacity chanel of the ghost light.

I'm using prop lights from Iray Ghost Light Kit 2, I checked their cutout opacities and they don't use any maps.

RobertDy said:

jag11 said:

Try adding 7 zeroes to Luminance.

• ColemanRughColemanRugh Posts: 511

Thanks Jag11 !!

And everyone else with helpful tips and links!

jag11 said:

RobertDy said:

jag11 said:

Try adding 7 zeroes to Luminance.

Umm, I think doing that without the script would also brighten the scene like normal...Still, I appreciate the effort and hope it helps others!

• jag11 said:

Small script to fix the ghost lights. This script enables the advanced Iray properties including the "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" property.

Brief instructions:

1. Download ZIP from the link below
    2. Save the content of the ZIP file in your Content Library/Scripts
    3. Execute "IrayGhostLightFix.dse"
    4. Select the emissive node you want to fix
    5. Click "Repair" icon button.

After executing the script check your Parameters tab, you'll find two new properties "Enable Iray Matte" and "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" under path "Display/Rendering/Iray".

The property "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" controls light geometry visibility On = light geometry visible, Off = light geometry not visible.

HTH.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/81/d090a788c1454f67863c1b4273188c.zip updated 20220313 19:15

Just FYI, this script has absolutely no effect on European Style Appartment scene subsets.

• jag11 said:

Small script to fix the ghost lights. This script enables the advanced Iray properties including the "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" property.

Brief instructions:

After executing the script check your Parameters tab, you'll find two new properties "Enable Iray Matte" and "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" under path "Display/Rendering/Iray".

The property "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" controls light geometry visibility On = light geometry visible, Off = light geometry not visible.

HTH.

https://www.daz3d.com/foru

ms/uploads/FileUpload/81/d090a788c1454f67863c1b4273188c.zip updated 20220313 19:15

Thank you for your post.  I tried and can get the light to work but not be able to adjust the color.  I wish Daz would make it work correctly again.  Just wasted money from the past that I will not be able to get back.  I thank you again for making this post and the file. :0)

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099
    edited August 2022

I downloaded this updated file. Haven't tried it yet. Sometimes the Ghost Light Kit 2 works for me, sometimes not. Exactly how would I know if things were made better, if I used the script? Oh, and this script if for Ghost Light Kit Number 1, right? Not for Ghost Light Kit 2?

Post edited by inquire on
  • Thank you for this script. I've been using it to fix IBL Master for Daz Studio, my go-to for scene lighting.

• Thank you for this.

• DannyDanny Posts: 8

Hi,I'm using this script and it hides the ghost light primary. The content behind it is still somewhat affected but it's okay. You can see that in the render below, where I placed a ghost light plane under the ceiling. The problem now it, in the mirror at the wall, the ghost light is not only not visible, but it also makes everything behind it transparent. AKA the ceiling becomes invisible in the reflection and the outside HDRI Dome is shown. Is it possible for me to fix this? If not, an official fix would be great.

Ghost Light makes things behind it transparent in Reflections.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,948
    edited January 2023

Well, thanks to the new beta, it includes an official fix for ghost lights!

• Added native "ghostlight" support (Iray Photoreal)
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on

takezo_3001 said:

Well, thanks to the new beta, it includes an official fix for ghost lights!

• Added native "ghostlight" support (Iray Photoreal)

I red the latest ChangeLog about it, but I didn't get it.

Referred thread explains it pretty well.

Many thanks.

• Just learned about this. Thank you! I still need to study this thread for details. But this could help me quite a bit with some lighting problems I'm having due to being used to having the ghost lights so handy before. Very much appreciated!

• jag11 said:

Brief instructions:

HTH.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/81/d090a788c1454f67863c1b4273188c.zip updated 20220313 19:15

Thank you. You're Mr. Wonderful. yes

• EndlessdescentEndlessdescent Posts: 95
    edited March 21

I've successfully run this script in an old scene made in 4.15 using a ghost light (plane) with cutout opacity 0.0010 and luminance of 70 kcd//m^2
    Unfortunately the scene is still dark despite the new parameters showing up.
    I need to find a way to match the old lighting of the scene since this is a reacurring location which I use to render 2D graphics for a game level.
    What are the steps needed to match the previous illumination settings for old scenes made previous to this change?
    It looks like setting cutout opacity to 1.0, Enable Iray Matte = On, Iray Visible to Primary Rays = Off, can get the lighting very close, but not perfect. Maybe I'm missing a step?

Post edited by Endlessdescent on