Iray Ghost Light Fix (dse) for Daz Studio 4.20 o later

Comments

• jag11 said:

I've updated the script. There's a download link at the original post.

Cheers.

Thank you very much!

• jag11 said:

EDIT2: I've noticed that, despite the Iray Matte being ON and the Primary Rays OFF, the emissive object is still visible in reflections as a black matt object if there is also an environmental light (or HDR) in effect which, to me, means it is not a true ghost light.  

What I do for cases like that is change Scale so small that no light geometry is perceived in renders.

Thank you for the script and the patient explanations. But just to clarify: Do you mean to scale of the size of the emissive object? - Or did you mean to "scale" some other value?

• jag11 said:

PaulaDegg said:

jag11 said:

I've updated the script. There's a download link at the original post.

Cheers.

I got a bit further along, I managed to execute the script, got the little window pop up and it had found the ghost light, I clicked on the apply button, but it did`nt do anything, sorry  frown

Make sure Iray is not rendering in the Viewport before executing script or Iray won't notice the fix.

After executing the script check your Parameters tab, you'll find two new properties "Enable Iray Matte" and "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" under path "Display/Rendering/Iray".

The property "Iray Visible to Primary Rays" controls light geometry visibility On = light geometry visible, Off = light geometry not visible.

HTH

Still no luck for me, its hanging on the apply fix button, but I appreciate you trying to help me get it to work smiley

• Thanks for this but I can't get it to work. It's more than likely me but I've followed everything mentioned here (I think) but still no go. Would someone please be kind enough to help me, I'm kinda new to this and chances are I've stuffed something up.

• MoonwincMoonwinc Posts: 8
    edited February 2022

It worked for me, however the idea of moving your scale down means that you will typically get a harsher shadow compared to when it is larger.

The way I got it working was, in fact, mixing your script with what KindredArts stated in https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551301/ghost-lights-what-s-happening-and-what-s-next#latest and not changing the scaling at all.

However, instead of going to the max like what was required with KindredArt's solution, because of the way your script turns on the two new options, I had a lot more control over the cutout opacity, and therefore not as much Luminance.

Luminance: 100000.0
    Units: cd/cm^2
    Cutout Opacity: .10

This gave me the same lighting, not seeing the black reflection anymore, and gave the smoother shadows that I would typically see.

Post edited by Moonwinc on
  • Lonesome CowboyLonesome Cowboy Posts: 153
    edited February 2022

Hi, i made some tests now with the fix and i must say it has no effect.

i loaded a ghostlight, selected it and loaded the script.
    The script shows every gl in the scene, i click on "Apply fix" and nothing happens and the script window doesn't close itself. Is this correct?

Tested in DS 4.20 beta

- normal gl has no effect in lighting
    - gl with fix makes the scene darker and adds a strange shadow into the scene. This shadow only appears through the fixed gl, but not by the normal non fixed one.
    - i was not able to make the gl work with the fix too.

without_gl.jpg
    1375 x 633 - 65K
    ghostlight_without_fix.jpg
    1409 x 580 - 56K
    ghostlight_with_fix_dark_shadow.jpg
    1352 x 550 - 88K
    ghostlight_with_fix.jpg
    1371 x 443 - 58K
    Post edited by Lonesome Cowboy on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

docbother said:

jag11 said:

EDIT2: I've noticed that, despite the Iray Matte being ON and the Primary Rays OFF, the emissive object is still visible in reflections as a black matt object if there is also an environmental light (or HDR) in effect which, to me, means it is not a true ghost light.  

What I do for cases like that is change Scale so small that no light geometry is perceived in renders.

Thank you for the script and the patient explanations. But just to clarify: Do you mean to scale of the size of the emissive object? - Or did you mean to "scale" some other value?

I meant Scale the size of the emissive object. Bear in mind the use of different luminance units, Lumen is amount of light irradiated no matter how big or small light is, and the other units refer to strength of light emitted.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

For those of us with lots of Iray scenes and scene subsets, this is going to be major pain to deal with.  I use "ghosted" emissive lights in nearly every scene created since Iray was introduced into DS many years ago. Hundreds.

There should be a settings selection somewhere in DS that permits the user to select how this is handled so that the defect is transparent to the user. We have been told "You need to bump up the luminanace value." and "Daz has not changed this, nVidia has.".  Are we supposed to go through every scene created and re-used, search for "ghosted" emissive lights, and determine how to "bump up the luminanace value"?!? I don't care iwho is at fault for this debacle--DAZ or nVidia--DAZ should be providing a solution within DS.  Period!

I noticed this problem immediately after rendering a scene with 4.20. And now I have wasted half a day trying track down the issue and find a workaround.  I typically don't spend any time on this forum unless I have to track down a solution.  And usually, it's a solution to a an issue that DAZ injected into a revision (e.g. the file-save defect with Dome and Scene plus no Environment Map is still not fixed!).  This tells me a lot about how DAZ views it's end users. It is simply not right for DAZ to place the burden of dealing with this on the end user. Can you imagine buying a new car from GM and them telling you that you are responsible for any defects in parts that are supplied to GM by 2nd or 3rd tier parts suppliers? Anyone who thinks DS is free is not paying attention.  We pay for it every time we buy content. In fact, I have self-illiminating propsets--puchased from the DAZ store--that include "ghosted" emissive primitives provided for lighting the scene.

I suggest that every single person affected by this submit a ticket.  I, for one, intend to ask for a rollback version of DS until there is a real fix to this issue.

Lonesome Cowboy said:

The script shows every gl in the scene, i click on "Apply fix" and nothing happens and the script window doesn't close itself. Is this correct?

Tested in DS 4.20 beta

- gl with fix makes the scene darker and adds a strange shadow into the scene. This shadow only appears through the fixed gl, but not by the normal non fixed one.

Your're right. Script does not inform neither closeswhen the task ends, but it adds the new special Iray properties in the parameters tab. If the object does not show this new properties is an indication something went wrong, in that case Log File might give a clue.

• artistb3 said:

For those of us with lots of Iray scenes and scene subsets, this is going to be major pain to deal with.  I use "ghosted" emissive lights in nearly every scene created since Iray was introduced into DS many years ago. Hundreds.

There should be a settings selection somewhere in DS that permits the user to select how this is handled so that the defect is transparent to the user. We have been told "You need to bump up the luminanace value." and "Daz has not changed this, nVidia has.".  Are we supposed to go through every scene created and re-used, search for "ghosted" emissive lights, and determine how to "bump up the luminanace value"?!? I don't care iwho is at fault for this debacle--DAZ or nVidia--DAZ should be providing a solution within DS.  Period!

I noticed this problem immediately after rendering a scene with 4.20. And now I have wasted half a day trying track down the issue and find a workaround.  I typically don't spend any time on this forum unless I have to track down a solution.  And usually, it's a solution to a an issue that DAZ injected into a revision (e.g. the file-save defect with Dome and Scene plus no Environment Map is still not fixed!).  This tells me a lot about how DAZ views it's end users. It is simply not right for DAZ to place the burden of dealing with this on the end user. Can you imagine buying a new car from GM and them telling you that you are responsible for any defects in parts that are supplied to GM by 2nd or 3rd tier parts suppliers? Anyone who thinks DS is free is not paying attention.  We pay for it every time we buy content. In fact, I have self-illiminating propsets--puchased from the DAZ store--that include "ghosted" emissive primitives provided for lighting the scene.

I suggest that every single person affected by this submit a ticket.  I, for one, intend to ask for a rollback version of DS until there is a real fix to this issue.

I agree. In fact one particular set I've used a few times includes ghost lights at windows that illuminate the interiors of room to simulate both day and night. I believe it's called Euro Apartment by Roguery? Anyway, that's one such set that'll be hit hard by this 'bug fix'... which doesn't seem like a bug fix to me. In fact, after reading a forum entry by KindredArts, I did some experimenting and found that I can take an emissive surface, reduce the opacity to 0.0000001 and ramp up the luminance to a much higher value than before, and this 'ghost light' works exactly the same as it did before - gives me light, and does not show up in reflections. So what was fixed? Or was it just 'patched' by making the end user THINK it stopped working. 

Truth be told I was careful only to install the Public Release of 4.20 rather than the General Release. I'm actually still using the 4.15.0.2 general release for my mainstream work and intend to continue to do so. I don't consider the old way of creating ghost lights as exploiting a 'bug' at all. It was a feature, and a very useful one! 

• It breaks all the scenes from PAs!!!

• Lonesome CowboyLonesome Cowboy Posts: 153
    edited February 2022

jag11 said:

Lonesome Cowboy said:

Tested in DS 4.20 beta

Your're right. Script does not inform neither closeswhen the task ends, but it adds the new special Iray properties in the parameters tab. If the object does not show this new properties is an indication something went wrong, in t

hat case Log File might give a clue.

ok. Thanks.

it would be good to write this information somewhere in the script.

The dark background disappears with "Enable Iray Matte = off", but how do i make the Ghostlight working now?

Currently the luminance in my testrender is set to 1200, but there is no difference between GL = on and GL = off.

It is still not working. Even setting luminance to 1200000000.0 (kcd) does not make any changes.

:-(

Post edited by Lonesome Cowboy on

jag11,

Thank you very much for providing this workaround.  For what it is worth, my testing shows it to be the best one I have yet seen on the forum (here I am again today on the forum instead of working on my backlog, frustrating). 

I noticed that the script errors-out if the scene contains a Null (log: "Error in script execution"). Unfortunately, there are still a lot of content providers that use a Null instead of a Group (not to mention all of the propsets purchased in the DAZ store that include Nulls). I have attached the scene that I have been using for testing. I really, really hope that you will continue to work on this until DAZ builds a solution into DS (if they ever do, not holding my breath).

I have attached the scene that I used for testing. Just to give you an idea of how important this issue is to me, I used a variation on this light in just about every Iray scene I created. Hundreds.

duf
    duf
    Test Scene for Ghost Light Issue.duf
  • > I noticed that the script errors-out if the scene contains a Null (log: "Error in script execution").

yes. Same problem here. If the scene contains a NULL, and error appears.

edited February 2022

artistb3 said:

jag11,

Thank you very much for providing this workaround.  For what it is worth, my testing shows it to be the best one I have yet seen on the forum (here I am again today on the forum instead of working on my backlog, frustrating). 

I noticed that the script errors-out if the scene contains a Null (log: "Error in script execution"). Unfortunately, there are still a lot of content providers that use a Null instead of a Group (not to mention all of the propsets purchased in the DAZ store that include Nulls). I have attached the scene that I have been using for testing. I really, really hope that you will continue to work on this until DAZ builds a solution into DS (if they ever do, not holding my breath).

I have attached the scene that I used for testing. Just to give you an idea of how important this issue is to me, I used a variation on this light in just about every Iray scene I created. Hundreds.

I hate to do this but there is one other issue with this solution. Using the emissive object with the opacity set to 1.0 (which it must now be in order to emit), the object will generate a shadow.  Anyone know if there a workaround for this? If not, this would be a deal-breaker for me.

Post edited by artistb3 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,222
    edited February 2022

artistb3 said:

artistb3 said:

jag11,

I hate to do this but there is one other issue with this solution. Using the emissive object with the opacity set to 1.0 (which it must now be in order to emit), the object will generate a shadow.  Anyone know if there a workaround for this? If not, this would be a deal-breaker for me.

I set the opacity to 1 and refraction index to 1 and the refraction weight to 1. (after applying the jag11 script to add the new parameters.)

Post edited by barbult on
  • Just as an FYI, in doing some experaments I found that ghost lights made this way will still work the same in older verstions of DS

artistb3 said:

jag11,

Thanks for providing the scene. I fixed the script. Download from here and I'll update link at the original post.

HTH

barbult said:

artistb3 said:

artistb3 said:

jag11,

I set the opacity to 1 and refraction index to 1 and the refraction weight to 1. (after applying the jag11 script to add the new parameters.)

barbult,

Thank you.  Progress.  I probably should know this regarding refaction index and refraction weight. In your testing, do you see the "the light mesh in reflections"?  Did you find a workaround for this, as well?

Attached is a simple scene I used for testing.  It includes a plane with a reflective surface (Polished Aluminum Shader) in order to accomdate this test case.  The attached image shows the resulting render.

Render Scene3.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 60K

artistb3 said:

barbult said:

artistb3 said:

artistb3 said:

jag11,

barbult,

Thank you.  Progress.  I probably should know this regarding refaction index and refraction weight. In your testing, do you see the "the light mesh in reflections"?  Did you find a workaround for this, as well?

Attached is a simple scene I used for testing.  It includes a plane with a reflective surface (Polished Aluminum Shader) in order to accomdate this test case.  The attached image shows the resulting render.

My computer is tied up rendering, but I'll try your scene when I can.

• Thanks.

I used the newer version of the script, but it has still no effect, even when you enlarge the luminance much

new_not_working.jpg
    1316 x 539 - 72K
    edited February 2022

artistb3 said:

barbult said:

artistb3 said:

artistb3 said:

jag11,

barbult,

Ok, I loaded your scene. As it is, I see the dark plane, too. jag11 posted the solution: Change your emissive surface luminance Units to Lumens (lm) and scale your plane to a small value. The light output from lumens does not diminish when the size of the source (your emissive plane) is reduced. Your plane has a negative scale number. I changed it to 0.01% and set the lumens to 100000 (nothing magic about that number - pick what is appropriate for your scene usage). You have Two Sided Light on. Why? I don't see any difference when I turn that off in this scene.

With the lumens and scaling solution, I don't know if refraction is still needed. I haven't experimented with that since reading jag11's insight on lumens and scaling. It's a learning experience for all of us.

Edit: By the way, that is a pretty neat scene that you created. I like it!

Use lumens.jpg
    598 x 431 - 64K
    tiny scale factor.jpg
    611 x 445 - 69K
    Luminance Units Lumens and scale 0.01%.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 168K
    Post edited by barbult on

It is far more natural to work with lumens and easier to manage in our minds.

• A candle is 12.56 lumen.
    • A standard 40W incandescent light bulb is 450 lumen, aprox. 35 candles.
    • A standard 100W incandescent light bulb is 1600 lumens.

No surprise a Spotlight inside Daz Studio is 1500 lumens. An advantage I see working in lumens is lower Exposure values.

barbult said:

artistb3 said:

barbult said:

artistb3 said:

artistb3 said:

jag11,

barbult,

Ok, I loaded your scene. As it is, I see the dark plane, too. jag11 posted the solution: Change your emissive surface luminance Units to Lumens (lm) and scale your plane to a small value. The light output from lumens does not diminish when the size of the source (your emissive plane) is reduced. Your plane has a negative scale number. I changed it to 0.01% and set the lumens to 100000 (nothing magic about that number - pick what is appropriate for your scene usage). You have Two Sided Light on. Why? I don't see any difference when I turn that off in this scene.

With the lumens and scaling solution, I don't know if refraction is still needed. I haven't experimented with that since reading jag11's insight on lumens and scaling. It's a learning experience for all of us.

Edit: By the way, that is a pretty neat scene that you created. I like it!

As for the two sides: oversight. The vast majority of emissive lights I use everyday are one-sided.  This is was a case of quick-let's-get-a-test-scene-together. I have attached a new version that uses a one-sided emissive light plus it implements the lumen suggestesion by jag11. However, By setting the scale to 0.01, it appears to me that we are essentially creating a form of 2D point light.  Typically, I want the scaled up geometry of the emissive object. I have also attached a couple of renders that illustrate why this not going to be the desired solution in many cases.  

The first render is of a scene that I have been working on for some time and for which I need to use in order to incorporate a render into a deliverable soon. The render was done in January (prior to DS 4.2). It utilizes 4 emissive planes (there is also a point backlight plus a distant light to simulate the sun). One emissive plane is above the G8F figure. Another is just in front of the middle mirror and is used to illuminate the entire figure front. There are also 2 small emissive planes pointing to the figure head. One to figure head front and one to figure head left. I need the geometry of the mirror light in order to properly illuminate the figure. If I set the scaling to 0.01, it will not work properly. 

For the second render, I used DS 4.2. I applied the jag11 script to all of the emissive lights but I only used the scale=0.01 method on the two lights pointing to figure head. It took about a half hour to tweek it down to where I could live with it. But the two images are very different.

I never set out to implement complex lighting. I do the minimum I think necessary in order to get the image I'm looking for. I already had lighting that worked before 4.2. I am not happy with the prospect of re-working scene lighting when it was fine before 4.2.

duf
    duf
    Scene4.duf

One render has illumination outside the building at ground level. The other does not. What caused that?

• Paper TigerPaper Tiger Posts: 89
    edited February 2022

Lonesome Cowboy said:

Tested in DS 4.20 beta

Unfortunately I'm getting the same result. As of 4.20, none of the ghost lights emit light in renders, the script doesn't fix them, and as per previous suggestions, i attempted cranking up the luminance (tried one at 700,000), also changed the luminance units to lm, no dice. Nothing seems to pick them up, in fact the only light that seems to render - at all - are distant sun lights.

Post edited by Paper Tiger on
  • For me , it work perfect with the actual 4.20 version.

Thanks for the script.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,328

Thanks for the script. The problem with Ghost Lights was the only thing that was preventing me from downloading DS 4.20.

Cheers,

Alex.

edited February 2022

barbult said:

One render has illumination outside the building at ground level. The other does not. What caused that?

I don't know. There is no additional lighting at ground level. I was curious about that myself. I have no way to test it until I revert back to an earlier version of DS (which I intend to do on Monday).

Post edited by artistb3 on

ronstringfellow said:

Lonesome Cowboy said:

Tested in DS 4.20 beta

Unfortunately I'm getting the same result. As of 4.20, none of the ghost lights emit light in renders, the script doesn't fix them, and as per previous suggestions, i attempted cranking up the luminance (tried one at 700,000), also changed the luminance units to lm, no dice. Nothing seems to pick them up, in fact the only light that seems to render - at all - are distant sun lights.

Actual Ghost Lights (as sold in the DAZ store) do work in 4.2.  In order to test, simply multiply your Luminance value by 1000000.  You should see the scene lighting up similar to your last render. However, if your Ghost Light is in the camers' field of view, you will likely see lots of fireflies.  If you change the Luminance Units to lm and then scale the light to 0.001, you will have a very different light than the one you started with. I strongly suggest that everyone affected by this submit a ticket.  I know it's a pain but, in my experience, that is what actually gets DAZ's attention.