trying to install content

2»

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Fabe said:

So how do the rest of you perfer to install your content? with the DIM or with connect? I like being able to see thumbnails in the smart content tab since that makes it easy to find stuff but it sounds like it has issues.

The installation method has no bearing on the thumbnails showing in 'Smart' Content, they will show even if you install manually.

What is important, is... Do not log in/sign in to DS unless you intend to use DAZ Connect within DS to install content, and at that point it becomes pointless to use the other installation methods, due to DAZ Connect installations stealing priority over the other methods, even when they don't work. 

• I can access my content on my laptop and everything loads from my main machine. I just pointed Daz to the directory. The laptop has just Daz's basic setup with no download of content. I did check the boxes on all the basic setup. Hexagon and the Gen figures that aren't checked by default. Works great. I also must point out that I didn't install to the public folders. Just shared the content directory of my products. So now while my main machine renders I can start working on a new scene on my laptop. As you can see this way is much easier than having a full install of all content to each machine in your house.

2021-12-05 (1).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    2021-12-05 (2).png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • FabeFabe Posts: 222

Is there any way to refreash the contents tab so I don't need to exist studio after installing new content?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

I use DIM because it can handle plugins, betas, and software  installs. You can also customize where it puts everything.

Connect works inside Studio so it can't install plugins, betas or itself.

Central isn't very mature and isn't very customizable, so I just don't consider it a viable option.

Over the years I've accumulated about 1.7TB of content(compressed folders) and roughly 3TB of supporting files.Manifests, thumbnails,templates, etc,etc..

My folders for Scenes and Scene sub sets is ~250GB combined

In DIM I select what drive I want to put everything on and it keeps it all up to date for me.

DIM can also control how many downloads it does at one time.Default is 4, I think.I set mine at 1, so It's much faster.

Just remember, you have to tell Studio where you told DIM to put your stuff.

So you have two places to configure your content library location

1.DIM

2. Studio Content Directory Manager

Smart Content works well, most people run into problems with disabling things or security software.

I can't live without it.

I love how easy it makes sorting though literally thousands of outfits, hair styles, shaders, etc,etc,.

Fabe said:

Is there any way to refreash the contents tab so I don't need to exist studio after installing new content?

Right click "Daz Studio Formats" and select refresh 

I forgot to mention;

I have DIM installing EVERYTHING to an external  6TB USB drive.

If I ever need to reinstall.

I just tell DIM and Studio where my contnet library is.That way I don't have to re-download all of my content again.

I back up the downloads to a different 4TB USB drive in the event the worst happens and I am indeed stuck reinstalling everything.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

IceCrMn said:

I forgot to mention;

I have DIM installing EVERYTHING to an external  6TB USB drive.

If I ever need to reinstall.

I just tell DIM and Studio where my contnet library is.That way I don't have to re-download all of my content again.

I back up the downloads to a different 4TB USB drive in the event the worst happens and I am indeed stuck reinstalling everything.

Very smart. I do the same and everyone should do it. It would save all the "Can I get the version of DS I was using because I don't like this one" questions.

Thanks IceCrMn, I have most of my stuff installed with DIM but used the smart content tab to install the Genesis starter essentials. Micheal 5 was still able to load from the content tab so I think I might be able to use both.

Not really,You will have problems combining Connect installs with DIM or Central.

Some scripts simply won't function if installed through Connect.

Well thats great. I had to use the smart tab becuaseI couldn't find the genesis content in DIM.Its seems that stuff is scattered all over when it come to what is needed to install stuff and where to find it within studio.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,873

No, it's all in DIM.

1. If you can't find it, maybe you don't have your DIM download filters configured properly. The most important one for finding content is Daz Studio 4.5+.
    2. You can also use the search bar to find specific content
    3. You can use the built in search filters (assuming you have installed those).
    Screenshot 2021-12-05 145536.jpg
    966 x 546 - 99K
    Screenshot 2021-12-05 145447.jpg
    951 x 546 - 82K

DIM is fine for installing everything.It's the oldest and most tested.

Central maybe aswell, I just don't like it's lack of customization.So haven't even attempted to use it.

Connect is the install method with the least amount of options, none really.Other than where to put the library.

Connect also uses a very unique directory structure that is very different from DIM and Central.Which causes problems for products that need the DIM/Central style directory structure.

If you have something that isn't showing up in DIM it should be reported as there may be a server side problem that has nothing to do with your setup.Wouldn't the first time that has happened actually.

edited December 2021

Actully I did find genesis stuff in DIM so thats on me,sorry. For now I'm going to just use DIM and maybe the smart content tab to get all my stuff installed.

Post edited by Fabe on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Fabe said:

Actully I did find genesis stuff in DIM so thats on me,sorry. For now I'm going to just use DIM and maybe the smart content tab to get all my stuff installed.

No, No, No... Forget installing anything with Smart Content/DAZ Connect, do not even log in/sign in to DS 

Do yourself a favor and go to DS Preferences and set up your startup options like in the attachment

StartUp.JPG
    522 x 244 - 21K
  • IceCrMn said:

DIM is fine for installing everything.It's the oldest and most tested.

Central maybe aswell, I just don't like it's lack of customization.So haven't even attempted to use it.

Connect is the install method with the least amount of options, none really.Other than where to put the library.

Connect also uses a very unique directory structure that is very different from DIM and Central.Which causes problems for products that need the DIM/Central style directory structure.

If you have something that isn't showing up in DIM it should be reported as there may be a server side problem that has nothing to do with your setup.Wouldn't the first time that has happened actually.

I used Daz Central for one thing I don't install anything at all. I change one setting in it. When you install Central and open and sign in close the window that wants you to install, a folder is created on the C Drive. You can move that folder to another drive. Go to settings and change it from DIM control to the custom directory you want on another drive, then close it. Open DIM change the path to the drive folder you want. Delete all recommend paths, use the custom path you created. All the pathways change for install and the content looks somthing like in the last pic.

The plus seems to be you don't have to do much to share across networks just do a bare install of DAZ if you share your library across the network.

2021-12-05 (8).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    2021-12-05 (5).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    2021-12-05 (9).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    2021-12-05 (10).png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M