Frustrated Rant

Rufus CoppertopRufus Coppertop Posts: 173

Last week and even just a few days ago - the base genesis figure could have clothes made in MD applied with the transfer utility and it worked.

And I could apply a different figure - a customized version of Chase or Peter or Donovan to that base figure and the clothes conformed even if I had to reapply a figure with the morphs.

(Ranty bit deleted)

Post edited by Rufus Coppertop on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

are you importing them in position to the base figure?

troubleshoot don't shoot your foot

• Rufus CoppertopRufus Coppertop Posts: 173
    edited January 2021

How?

How do I even begin to troubleshoot something like this?

edited January 2021

the clothes have to exactly fit the base figure on import in the exact position no translating or rotating, scaling etc

if they do you need to look if your base has become corrupted somehow by saving a dialed in morph or character over it

this can happen if you accidently save the character instead of the clothes as a support asset

look under used in parameters for your base figure, if something is dialed in uninstall that and reinstall it and uninstall and reinstall your starter essentials

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2021

Thanks for trying to help.

BUT - it's broken.

I've reinstalled Daz. I've done everything in the same way that worked.

It doesn't work. Modifying a figure causes that figure to burst through the garment.

That never happened before.

It's broken and I'm at my wit's end. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

I'm over it.

if the problem is with DAZ as you believe by posting another thread, don't you think the forum would be overwhelmed with other people also posting?

User error is only a hard thing to accept if you live your life blaming others

problem solving involves eliminating variables on your computer

it is unlikely to be DAZ studio it is very likely to be something in your library data folder

first step is remove it from your DAZ content in preferences and create a testing library you install only the starter essentials to

see if the problem carries over

after that it is a matter of drilling down through your content to see what the issue is starting with the starter essentials for the figure you are using (presumably Genesis 8 male or female)

also information on how you are installing stuff, do you use DAZ install manager, connect or DAZ central?

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,223

Rufus Coppertop said:

Thanks for trying to help.

BUT - it's broken.

I've reinstalled Daz. I've done everything in the same way that worked.

It doesn't work. Modifying a figure causes that figure to burst through the garment.

That never happened before.

It's broken and I'm at my wit's end. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.

I'm over it.

There isn't enough information to verify a problem for which we could present a solution or identify as a bug, new or known. 

What figure is this? What are your normal steps to ding what you're trying to do as it sounds like something you've successfully done. Is the trouble only in MD or after you bring it to Daz Studio? Is the clothing custom made in MD or are you working with another asset?

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

Rufus Coppertop said:

And I could apply a different figure - a customized version of Chase or Peter or Donovan to that base figure and the clothes conformed even if I had to reapply a figure with the morphs.

Now CONFORMING CLOTHES DON'T CONFORM. THE TOP OF THE SHIRT IS DOWN BELOW THE SHOULDERS.

Is it happening with all bodymorphs or just a specific body morph.

edited January 2021

Wendy - Accepting user error is an absolute doddle when the user can clearly see where they've gone wrong. Assuming that someone lives their life blaming others is easy when all you see is an emotional and immature explosion (many thanks to whichever moderator deleted that one!)  and don't see the hours and hours they've spent trying to get to solve a problem. I will be very happy to admit user error on my part when I know what my error is.

Mada - If I widen the shoulders a bit they burst through the garment sideways. If I lengthen the torso a bit, the shoulders burst through the top of the garment. If I get a bit experimental and lengthen the torso a lot, the top garment (actually more of a tanktop than a shirt) disappears into the body except where it blouses out a bit from the waistband of the trousers.

Cris - When it worked my process was this:

1. Make garment in MD.

2. Export as OBJ (Selected).

3. Open Daz.

4. Bring Genesis 3 Base Male into the Daz window. The Scale and Pose and everything are ZEROED. It is totally the Basic Figure.

5. Import the garment.

6. Click on EDIT then OBJECT then TRANSFER UTILITY.

7. Select Genesis 3 Base Figure as source. Select garment as target.

8. Let the transfer utility do its thing.

9. Pose the figure and marvel at the transfer utilitiy working and the garment conforming to the figure. THEN - Zero the Pose again so it's ready.

10. Make sure Genesis Base Male is selected in Scene Window.

11. Merge customized boy figure into scene and APPLY IT to the base male.

12. Marvel at the fact that it works and enjoy the idea of being able to use Daz and Blender to do illustrations for a Dieselpunk Boys' Own Adventure I'm editing.

13. Merge Secret Base or Streets of London etc into scene, add other characters, learn to pose them, play and learn a bit while having some fun.

14. Work on book, work through Blender tutes or go and do a night shift or whatever.

Today my process has been this: (I'm not being repetitious to be sarcastic. I'm simply wanting to be absolutely clear)

1. Open MD and select the same garment that worked.

2. Export it as an OBJ again with all of the little things checked that worked before.

3. Open Daz.

4. Bring Genesis 3 Base Male into the Daz window.

5. Import the garment.

6. Click on EDIT then OBJECT then TRANSFER UTILITY.

7. Select Genesis 3 Base Figure as source. Select garment as target.

8. Let the transfer utility do its thing.

9. Pose the figure and marvel at the transfer utilitiy working and the garment conforming to the figure.

10. Make sure Genesis Base Male is selected.

11. Merge customized boy figure into scene and APPLY IT to the base male.

12. Feel moderately hopeful that it will work.

13. Sigh with frustration when the customized boy figure explodes the garment.

14. Try again.

15. Try again with the uncustomized basic boy figure.

16. Apply customized boy figure to uncustomized boy figure.

17. Watch it explode. Sigh and growl.

18. Go out onto the back porch and have a ciggy.

19. Repeat the above steps.

20. Feel a bit huffy that it's not working.

21. Ask about it on this forum.

22. Try again.

23. Have another ciggy while racking my brains about what I might be doing wrong.

24. Rinse and repeat.

25. Rinse and repeat again.

26. And again.

27. And again.

28. Have another ciggy.

29. Try again.

30. Reinstall Daz and try again.

31. Have a screaming meltdown and totally blow my top.

32. Have another ciggy.

33. Uninstall Daz.

34. Decide that I never want to use Daz again because damn it!

35. Decide that maybe I do.

36. Write this reply while feeling a bit despondent.

edited January 2021
    back later
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,199

What happens if you take a premade shirt and apply to the boy?

edited January 2021

WendyLuvsCatz said:

if the problem is with DAZ as you believe by posting another thread, don't you think the forum would be overwhelmed with other people also posting?

it is unlikely to be DAZ studio it is very likely to be something in your library data folder

first step is remove it from your DAZ content in preferences and create a testing library you install only the starter essentials to

after that it is a matter of drilling down through your content to see what the issue is starting with the starter essentials for the figure you are using (presumably Genesis 8 male or female)

also information on how you are installing stuff, do you use DAZ install manager, connect or DAZ central?

I don't know what you mean when you suggest I remove my library data folder from my Daz content in preferences. Do I remove a library from a bigger library?

And how to create a testing library?

I have been thinking for while about somehow tidying up my library. It's a bit of a mess. there's so much I'd like to delete but I can't find a way to do that from within Daz where I can see what I'm deleting.

It's Genesis 3 I'm using, not 8. I've bought a lot of stuff for 3 and I don't like the idea of wasting it especially when 8 doesn't seem that much better.

I use Daz Install Manager because Daz Central just won't load.

Mod Edit :- To sort out the quote

Post edited by Chohole on
  • felis said:

What happens if you take a premade shirt and apply to the boy?

You know what? That never occurred to me. It's such an obvious thing to try. I'll have to reinstall Daz and Genesis 3 starters etc before I can try it.

Right now I'm exhausted with Daz and this whole issue and I need to step away from it and do something else. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it in the future.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,223
    edited January 2021

Rufus Coppertop said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I don't know what you mean when you suggest I remove my library data folder from my Daz content in preferences. Do I remove a library from a bigger library?

And how to create a testing library?

I have been thinking for while about somehow tidying up my library. It's a bit of a mess. there's so much I'd like to delete but I can't find a way to do that from within Daz where I can see what I'm deleting.

It's Genesis 3 I'm using, not 8. I've bought a lot of stuff for 3 and I don't like the idea of wasting it especially when 8 doesn't seem that much better.

I use Daz Install Manager because Daz Central just won't load.

Mod Edit :- To sort out the quote

Here, Sickleyield explains how she makes a test library to test her item in Daz Studio.

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Packaging-Testing-Your-Own-Product-577051650

Post edited by Chohole on

you don't need to delete your library, just remove it from preferences in DAZ studio under content

then create another one in a temporary new folder and add that and the starter essentials,

best to manually download the zips to do that if you cannot find them

• Cris Palomino said:

Here, Sickleyield explains how she makes a test library to test her item in Daz Studio.

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Packaging-Testing-Your-Own-Product-577051650

Thanks Cris.

SickleYield is one of my heroes.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

you don't need to delete your library, just remove it from preferences in DAZ studio under content

then create another one in a temporary new folder and add that and the starter essentials,

best to manually download the zips to do that if you cannot find them

Okay. Thanks Wendy. I'll give that a try when I reinstall Daz.

• Are you using morphs or transforms (scale)? If it;'s all morphs, check that the garment hasn't aquired a Rigidity Group - Tools>Geoemtry Editor, open the Tool Settinsg pane, switch the Selection Mode to vertex, and look to see if there is a rigidity group listed.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Are you using morphs or transforms (scale)? If it;'s all morphs, check that the garment hasn't aquired a Rigidity Group - Tools>Geoemtry Editor, open the Tool Settinsg pane, switch the Selection Mode to vertex, and look to see if there is a rigidity group listed.

You know I think you might be on to something there. Truth is I have no idea. My assumption is that I've used morphs, in particular Shape Shift for Genesis 3. I'm not aware of having done any customization that would be defined as "transforms" but at the moment I can only base that on the fact that Shape Shift for Genesis 3 defines itself on the webpage (https://www.daz3d.com/shape-shift-for-genesis-3-bundle) as being "custom morphs".

Maybe I have somehow, inadvertently done scaling as well.

Has the garment acquired a Rigidity Group? - I have no idea but it sounds like an absolutely plausible explanation.

Rigidity Group! That's a term that has a certain suspicious something to it, isn't it? A garment suddenly won't expand to conform with the body morphing underneath it? That sounds very rigidity-groupy.

I'll look into that. Thank you.

edited January 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you using morphs or transforms (scale)? If it;'s all morphs, check that the garment hasn't aquired a Rigidity Group - Tools>Geoemtry Editor, open the Tool Settinsg pane, switch the Selection Mode to vertex, and look to see if there is a rigidity group listed.

And yes. There is a rigidity group listed. There really is. How it got there I don't know but it's there.

That is SO weird. How does something like that even happen?

And how do I get rid of it? There doesn't seem to be a way to delete it although I'm hoping there will be one.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967

Rufus Coppertop said:

Richard Haseltine said:

And yes. There is a rigidity group listed. There really is. How it got there I don't know but it's there.

That is SO weird. How does something like that even happen?

And how do I get rid of it? There doesn't seem to be a way to delete it although I'm hoping there will be one.

Simple: 

edited January 2021

SimonJM said:

Simple:

I can see myself visiting an astrologer cum alchemist cum apothecary and Doctor of Mystic and lying on his couch amidst skulls, candles and artifacts from the temple of Circe (cheap at thropence!) and moaning about a Rigidity.

I'm sure he'll be mystified and say, "Gadzooks my goodly Sir! Surely thou meaneth flaccidity?"

"Nay good Doctor. I meanest, "Rigidity Group".

"Rigidity Grope? Verily thou must not endanger the sight of thine eyes."

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967

Rufus Coppertop said:

SimonJM said:

Simple:

I can see myself visiting an astrologer cum alchemist cum apothecary and Doctor of Mystic and lying on his couch amidst skulls, candles and artifacts from the temple of Circe (cheap at thropence!) and moaning about a Rigidity.

I'm sure he'll be mystified and say, "Gadzooks my goodly Sir! Surely thou meaneth flaccidity?"

"Nay good Doctor. I meanest, "Rigidity Group".

"Rigidity Grope? Verily thou must not endanger the sight of thine eyes."

Sorry for not actually offering any help but I am at a loss with all of this aspect. I have tried creating morphs on a base figure but kept on failing as the default is NOT to export the base (non-SubD) figure ...  Sometimes things just seem to happen, either with an errant lick or something else whcih does not seem to have any impact or efefct, until you try something again! 

edited January 2021

SimonJM said:

Sorry for not actually offering any help but I am at a loss with all of this aspect. I have tried creating morphs on a base figure but kept on failing as the default is NOT to export the base (non-SubD) figure ...  Sometimes things just seem to happen, either with an errant lick or something else whcih does not seem to have any impact or efefct, until you try something again! 

Daz is very weird and labyrinthine with deep mysteries. I'm thinking I might have to light a charcoal block, offer frankincense and try an incantation. Maybe that'll get the garment working again.

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 238

Out of curiosity, between the time it was all working as expected and the time it went haywire, did you by chance update Daz Studio to 4.15? Or MD?

edited January 2021

No but actually sort of yes.

The garments I did in MD 9 worked perfectly and I had MD 10 on a trial basis on which I did a better version of the garment which worked perfectly well but the trial has elapsed, I haven't paid for MD 10 and today I exported the same garment from MD 9.

It's difficult to see how that could have caused this problem though. The thing is, the garment version from MD 10 is also "broken" even though it hasn't been exported again from MD 9.

I've had Daz 4.15 on my computer for at least a month or two I think and everything was working perfectly until this stuff started happening.

• Try selecting the Rigidity Group in Tool Settings, then right-click on it and select Remove Group. That works on a quick test with primitives.

• I jusdt ran a quick test with an OBJ exported from a piece of clothing and didn't see a Rigidity Group added, and there isn't an option I can see in Transfer utility which would do it (I'm not, however, sure what would happen if the source figure had a Rigidity Group itself).

• Richard Haseltine said:

Try selecting the Rigidity Group in Tool Settings, then right-click on it and select Remove Group. That works on a quick test with primitives.

Actually after trying that I now realize that NO. In fact it doesn't have a Rigidity Group as such. I made the mistake of seeing the word Rigidity and assuming it was a group. When I right click it offers me the chance to make a rigidity group but it seems that there isn't actually one.

Also - after trying again with different morphs I realize that something I said above was not quite accurate.

Morphs are working. The garment conforms to every morph I've tried except for lengthening the abdomen in the Shape Shifter Morphs menu. I can lengthen the whole torso, widen it, whatever. It's just lengthening the abdomen that causes the shoulders to explode through the garment.

• Rufus Coppertop said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Try selecting the Rigidity Group in Tool Settings, then right-click on it and select Remove Group. That works on a quick test with primitives.

Actually after trying that I now realize that NO. In fact it doesn't have a Rigidity Group as such. I made the mistake of seeing the word Rigidity and assuming it was a group. When I right click it offers me the chance to make a rigidity group but it seems that there isn't actually one.

Also - after trying again with different morphs I realize that something I said above was not quite accurate.

Morphs are working. The garment conforms to every morph I've tried except for lengthening the abdomen in the Shape Shifter Morphs menu. I can lengthen the whole torso, widen it, whatever. It's just lengthening the abdomen that causes the shoulders to explode through the garment.

One thing to try, if you find the Fit To cotnrols in the parameetrs pane there is a second button in the last few releases of DS labelled Fit to Mode - try changing the setting and see if that helps.

edited January 2021
    double post - I think