UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,114

Martinjfrost said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Hey, all. I don't use DIM (except for the couple of items/situations that require it). With reports of updates to Ultrascenery and Road Works, I went looking for something that looks like a notification of an update to them. Neither DazCentral - which is what I normally use - nor DIM actually show anything resembling a notification of an update, though I see in DIM that both of these are in the Installed tab, with recent dates. Am I supposed to select them, and then uninstall and reinstall them? 

It is certainly showing as an update in smart content if you navigate to the items there you can update it in the app. Ill send a message to the beta tester to let him know.  

The update showed up in DIM for me. 

• DoctorJellybean said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Hey, all. I don't use DIM (except for the couple of items/situations that require it). With reports of updates to Ultrascenery and Road Works, I went looking for something that looks like a notification of an update to them. Neither DazCentral - which is what I normally use - nor DIM actually show anything resembling a notification of an update, though I see in DIM that both of these are in the Installed tab, with recent dates. Am I supposed to select them, and then uninstall and reinstall them? 

No, it should show as an update. By the way, it doesn't show as an update for me either.

I have submitted a ticket, but it will work fine if updated via smart content form within daz studio, i wouldnt even thing about trying Daz central and im not sure ive ever updated anything via that rout. But it is there, and a ticket is submitted so fingers crossed the tech gremlins will work their magic! 

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,029
    edited April 2023

@HowieFarkes I think it would be great if --like Stonemason and others do -- you would include the promo files of your products, for example, UltraScenery - Landscape Features Volume 4. That would help drive sales (since people would need to buy all the products utilized in a scene), plus serve as an excellent start-off point for (or to jump-start) one's own creations. Additionally, it would make the program and its features more accessible to the less experienced, bringing in even more newbies (i.e. revenue). For all of these and other reasons, you might even want to consider making these vailable at a nominal price for past products, and for free (or near free) for upcoming products.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • Hi everyone. I've got a new Mac this week, an Macbook M2 Max, 64gb RAM. (Ultrascenery worked just fine, if slowly, on the old Intel i9 Mac.) Re-installed Daz studio, copied across my library. Everything appears to work fine. Tried Ultrascenery today, Studio bombed out immediately. Uninstalled and reinstalled Ultrascenery, same thing. Does the ultrascenery products not work on the new Mac platform? Gutted as I have spent a fortune on accelerators, ecologies, etc. Any clues to how I can make this work?

• w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

Hi everyone. I've got a new Mac this week, an Macbook M2 Max, 64gb RAM. (Ultrascenery worked just fine, if slowly, on the old Intel i9 Mac.) Re-installed Daz studio, copied across my library. Everything appears to work fine. Tried Ultrascenery today, Studio bombed out immediately. Uninstalled and reinstalled Ultrascenery, same thing. Does the ultrascenery products not work on the new Mac platform? Gutted as I have spent a fortune on accelerators, ecologies, etc. Any clues to how I can make this work?

With some messing about installing and unstalling things, Ultrascenery itself seems to run ok. I've uninstalled Accelerator and Ultrascenery XT. As soon as you install XT again, Daz Studio crashes during the startup process. Uninstalling XT once again restores Studio to booting ok. Something to do with plug ins, I am guessing? 

• w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

Hi everyone. I've got a new Mac this week, an Macbook M2 Max, 64gb RAM. (Ultrascenery worked just fine, if slowly, on the old Intel i9 Mac.) Re-installed Daz studio, copied across my library. Everything appears to work fine. Tried Ultrascenery today, Studio bombed out immediately. Uninstalled and reinstalled Ultrascenery, same thing. Does the ultrascenery products not work on the new Mac platform? Gutted as I have spent a fortune on accelerators, ecologies, etc. Any clues to how I can make this work?

With some messing about installing and unstalling things, Ultrascenery itself seems to run ok. I've uninstalled Accelerator and Ultrascenery XT. As soon as you install XT again, Daz Studio crashes during the startup process. Uninstalling XT once again restores Studio to booting ok. Something to do with plug ins, I am guessing? 

And I've now tried installing Ultrascenery Accelerator, which is also a plugin. Daz Studio launches ok with this installed, but then crashes when Ultrascenery script is run. Clearly this is some sort of plugin issue - presumably they are incompatible with macos running on the Apple Silicon (M1, M2) chipset. 

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,524

Ultra Scenery XT is the culprit, something with Qt on macOS on Arm64 that tries to call non existent arm64 code. 

• Totte said:

Ultra Scenery XT is the culprit, something with Qt on macOS on Arm64 that tries to call non existent arm64 code. 

Good to know - thanks! @HowieFarkes - can we expect an update or should I request a refund? Or perhaps the semi-mythical Daz Studio 5 will fix this?? :-)

• Disappointingly, it's highly likely that DS5 won't be code compatible with DS4 plugins. If it was script only, there's a fair chance it would be, but plugins use compiled code so it's not likely to be possible. I would love to be proved wrong on this.

Regards,

Richard

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051

richardandtracy said:

Disappointingly, it's highly likely that DS5 won't be code compatible with DS4 plugins. If it was script only, there's a fair chance it would be, but plugins use compiled code so it's not likely to be possible. I would love to be proved wrong on this.

It's been clearly stated multiple times that DS5 will use a newer version of the Qt framework, so plugins will a minima require recompiling towards the new SDK to work (completely new SDK is why it will be DS5 and not a 4.x). Which means any plugin whose creator is not available anymore to create a DS5 version won't work at all in DS5.

• That was my thought too. However, since playing with DS I have found people have managed an amazing number of work-arounds to apparently impossible problems that I wouldn't put it past someone to make a QT4 emulation plugin so DS4 plugins see a DS4 interface and don't know the difference. Not easy, if possible at all, but there are some brilliant minds using DS and if it's possible, it may just happen eventually. Regards, Richard.
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,325
    edited April 2023

Guys,

The last I heard, Howie Farkes has committed to releasing updated versions of Ultrascatter/scenery/scenery XT that are compliant with DS5 and the latest version of the QT graphics engine. 

What the other PA's are up to is probably less certain. 

Cheers,

Alex. 

Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • alexhcowley said:

Guys,

The last I heard, Howie Farkes has committed to releasing updated versions of Ultrascatter/scenery/scenery XT that are compliant with DS5 and the latest version of the QT graphics engine. 

What the other PA's are up to is probably less certain. 

Cheers,

Alex. 

That's good to know. However, it would be even better in the short term at least, if XT worked on the platform it says it will work on: DS4.x and macos. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,757

Am I wrong to assume that DS5 will not overwrite DS4 versions that we currently have when it is released? If that is true, we keep DS4 alongside DS5 until we have all the programs & plug-ins we love moved over.

Mary

• memcneil70 said:

Am I wrong to assume that DS5 will not overwrite DS4 versions that we currently have when it is released? If that is true, we keep DS4 alongside DS5 until we have all the programs & plug-ins we love moved over.

Mary

The applications will certainly be separate, and we have been told that the latest version of DS 4 will continue to be in the Product Library.

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,029

@HowieFarkes in my request bag is one other thing .... it would be great if the roads -- both sand and asphalt versions -- also had straight road (not curvy) versions (since long straight roads are commonly found in daily life this seems like a curious omission) ... and if that could be done for free (not that we are charged for this minor, but important feature).

• mcorr said:

@HowieFarkes in my request bag is one other thing .... it would be great if the roads -- both sand and asphalt versions -- also had straight road (not curvy) versions (since long straight roads are commonly found in daily life this seems like a curious omission) ... and if that could be done for free (not that we are charged for this minor, but important feature).

Hey, straight roads could be cool, in themselves and also if they join up with the current roads. I often tile multiple USC objects.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 585

Totte said:

Good to know - thanks! @HowieFarkes - can we expect an update or should I request a refund? Or perhaps the semi-mythical Daz Studio 5 will fix this?? :-)

I've just today figured out how to get it working on an ARM based Mac (my M1-pro laptop) so there will be an update shortly that should mean UltraSceneryXT will work on all DAZ Studio platforms.

Howie, that is fantastic news! Big hug from Denver.

• Even though I don't have a Mac, the idea it can work on all platforms is great.

Regards,

Richard

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,325

richardandtracy said:

Even though I don't have a Mac, the idea it can work on all platforms is great.

Regards,

Richard

Same here. The more converts we get the better.

Cheers,

Alex.  

This morning my copy of Axios Denver had an article on plants to help feed butterflies and bees and that were native to our region in the Mountain Western range of North America. As I opened up the links to flowers I saw images of regions and plants that I would love to see in UltraScenery or in individual plant packages. So I am attaching a link to the article and hope it will come through for anyone who is interested.

The article is echoing another article I read this weekend on gardens/lawns that are grown to encourage feeding of bees/butterflies, with lawns cut to 4 - 5 inches, with tiny flowering plants scattered in the lawn under 4 inches in height. More gardens encroaching on the edges of the lawn with native plants to cut down on watering. (Drought is making an impact, and rocks are not fun to lay or play on.)

Yes, UltraScenery is a large landscape product, but maybe it could be scaled down to make a garden (backyard for Americans) in a neighborhood? (I think @barbult has done this already but my brain is not working today very well.)

Regardless, enjoy some of the flowers that I know I have never heard of before.

Mary

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited April 2023

I already updated these two shown in the attached picture. But why are they still sliding into my DM, I mean DIM.

Capture_.PNG
    1070 x 151 - 12K
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 585

AnEye4Art said:

I already updated these two shown in the attached picture. But why are they still sliding into my DM, I mean DIM.

Because the first update on the weekend contained errors so another update was pushed out a few days later.
  • HowieFarkes said:

Totte said:

I've just today figured out how to get it working on an ARM based Mac (my M1-pro laptop) so there will be an update shortly that should mean UltraSceneryXT will work on all DAZ Studio platforms.

Great news! Can't wait to see how it does on my M2 Max! 

• MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 325
    edited May 2023

By the Pricking of my thumbs.... some desertey goodness, this way comes...... quite possibly along with some tyre tracks and ruts too!! 

Desert Botanica Bundle is out now! Along with the Tire Tracks and Road Rut Decals - More about this later! 

Keep an eye on the store...... ;-)

Post edited by Martinjfrost on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,092

Oh no!!! My wallet's already going into spasms. That looks too good to miss.

Regards,

Richard.

• MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 325
    edited May 2023

Here is a sample scene I did with desert botanica, I also added som very subtle tracks in the road, so faint they are hardly visable, its one of the lusher desert bloom 

https://www.daz3d.com/desert-botanica--bundle

https://www.daz3d.com/tire-tracks-and-road-rut-decals

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Martinjfrost said:

Here is a sample scene I did with desert botanica, I also added som very subtle tracks in the road, so faint they are hardly visable, its one of the lusher desert bloom 

https://www.daz3d.com/desert-botanica--bundle

https://www.daz3d.com/tire-tracks-and-road-rut-decals

Already in my cart. Hope today is not another working-late day! 

This discussion has been closed.