[SOLVED] Iray Render Viewport Crashing GPU

2»

Comments

• sylviasobakasylviasobaka Posts: 36
    edited November 2020

So I tried again and I could finally render something but the strange thing is that I removed like 60% of the scene and when I load it in without doing anyting it eats 2GB of DDR4 and then when I start rendering it, it jumps to 24GB DDR4, what's going on ? Why is it taking so much ?

And once the render is up and running, RTX 3090 is rendering the picture in 4K without any problems in not even 10 minutes, so it's not a GPU problem after all, I suspect somekind of memory leak or something not optimised as it used to be on my previous windows setup.

Post edited by sylviasobaka on
  • Sorry to say, that memory ramp up is actually standard in DazStudio.  Dforce SBH hair is even worse. Like alot.  I won't use it cos I can't have in heavy scenes.  Have never seen a technical explanation why that memory use all happening.

I ended up with 64GB ram for my RTX2080ti.  Think I hit 51 GB once and that's with 11GB ram Vidcard.  No crash.

So with one 3090 my plan was to have about 128 GB ram.  If I go two, well 256GB ram is overkill, but don't think there is an option inbetween. 

• Sorry to say, that memory ramp up is actually standard in DazStudio.  Dforce SBH hair is even worse. Like alot.  I won't use it cos I can't have in heavy scenes.  Have never seen a technical explanation why that memory use all happening.

I ended up with 64GB ram for my RTX2080ti.  Think I hit 51 GB once and that's with 11GB ram Vidcard.  No crash.

So with one 3090 my plan was to have about 128 GB ram.  If I go two, well 256GB ram is overkill, but don't think there is an option inbetween. 

Yeah that's also what I'm starting to realise... But why was it working before, and not only on that scene, on many others as well ! :/ I used to have a lot of softwares running in the background while starting a render, and it was working fine ! I always had 32Gb of ram, I did not removed or added since my last windows reinstallation.

I just don't understand... This doesn't make any sense ! And my scenes aren't that heavy actually...

edited November 2020

Okay, new important edit here : 

I just tried on my Girflriend's PC she have 16GB DDR3 of Ram, GTX 1080 and i7 4770k

The same scene on her computer WORKS and just doesn't crash. It takes some time to open and go into iray Viewport but it works. And she only have 16GB of DDR3

WTF

• What does your heavy scene consists of in general sense?  How many G8s (or G3s), and geografts, hair, bling, cloths, environments. 

LOL, that is pretty wild if GF's PC can handle it as is.  Like Really wild.  Maybe go through her DazStudio settings vs yours and see if there is a diff?

If there isn't a diff, pretty sure Daz would be interested to hear about this.  Submit a ticket using help - in tab at top.  Just make sure you sign in at top before opening ticket.

If there is a diff, would love to hear back!

• Did you overclok your memory or do any changes with it?  Have any spare sticks of memory you could try?

edited November 2020

So I once again tried a few things and I have some news !

On my Girlfriend's PC it works but since it's a heavy scene it's the CPU that is beeing used. (CPU Fallback) But it never crashes, it'll just normally switch to CPU as the GTX 1080 isn't powerfull enough for that scene. (Same settings are used on her Daz and mine)

I tried to only use CPU on my PC and it works !! It'll be veerrrryyyy slow but it works, no crash. But when I use cuda, it'll crash or load forever (not always crashing, it's random). 

I tried once again with the GTX 1080 in my PC and same problem, it crashes / load forever if I try to use CUDA. CPU only is once again, fine. I also unplugged and plugged back my DDR4 sticks just to be sure, nothing worked. 

I also tried using an older Nvidia Driver but with no succes...

• I was having that problem recently, and I was able to identify that some objects was causing this. And when I wento to the Simulation settings and pressed clear. The scene rendered fine. Don't know if this going to help your problem.

• Theme3D said:

I was having that problem recently, and I was able to identify that some objects was causing this. And when I wento to the Simulation settings and pressed clear. The scene rendered fine. Don't know if this going to help your problem.

You mean clear simulation data ? I just tried that and it doesn't seem to fix the problem :/

• Also, I read something about Optix, how do we enable / diable that in the latest 4.14 version of Daz ? 

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

If you have the proper minimum Nvidia driver, Optix won't be an option. 

Also, I read something about Optix, how do we enable / diable that in the latest 4.14 version of Daz ? 

• I have submitted a ticket, I hope I'll have an answer shortly :/ I really don't know what to do anymore.

• Fixed it !

I checked Windows Page Files and it was set by default at 8Go. It was probably much higher in my last windows instalation. To fix the problem, I setted the Windows Page File to 64Go just to be sure, and it now works !

• This made absolutely no difference for me.

• ebslater26ebslater26 Posts: 28
    edited December 2020

Oh man, thank you! I was having the same exact issue. I found that with a fairly large scene I could get one Iray preview in the viewport and after that all rendering would fail with the out of memory error in the logs. I found this post and checked my page file, manually set it to be much higher than the system was defaulting to (I have 32GB of RAM installed so set it to min 45GB max 64GB) and this fixed my issue.

I should note, in testing I found that after launching DAZ and loading my scene if I didn't do the Iray preview in the viewport I could do multiple renders without issue. It was only after previewing the Iray render in the viewport once that the issue would present itself.

The only thing that changed on my system when this issue started was upgrading DAZ to 4.14. I made no changes to Windows; i.e. my page file was never an issue before. I never downgraded back to 4.12 so couldn't say if the problem still would have been there. Such a strange issue. 

Post edited by ebslater26 on
  • I take my previous post back. This seems to have just delayed the issue. Now I get about 8 Iray previews in the Viewport before the issue returns. 

• For me, it was a subD setting on an anatomical mesh that was too high.  The mesh had too many faces and I think that used all the iray preview memory.  Use Iray Memory Assistant and/or Scene Optimizer to find out which objects have the highest numbers of faces or subD level(s) and by a process of elimination you should be able to identify the source of the error. Hope this helps someone.