DS 4.12.1.118 does not recognize Nvidia Titan RTX

Hello everybody! On a new computer with a Nvidia Titan RTX I installed DS 4.12.1.118 with DAZ Central and made sure to have the newest Nvidia Driver 452.06 installed. The windows device manager reports that the video card is working properly.

Now in the hardware tab of advanced render settings no GPU shows up (after restart of course), only the CPU is listed. In Troubleshooting „About Your Video Card…“ also only the Intel UHD Graphics 630 is shown, noNVIDIA Card is displayed.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited August 2020

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/145178/en-us

Try this.

I don't know why they make separate drivers for creative products, but they do. Same thing happened to me.

EDIT:

Or maybe it was the Studio Driver? I can't remember. Either way, NVIDIA drivers don't work out-of-the-box for Daz Studio. You need special creative drivers.

Post edited by margrave on
  • kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805
    margrave said:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/145178/en-us

Try this.

I don't know why they make separate drivers for creative products, but they do. Same thing happened to me.

EDIT:

Or maybe it was the Studio Driver? I can't remember. Either way, NVIDIA drivers don't work out-of-the-box for Daz Studio. You need special creative drivers.

?

No.

452.06 is the most up to date driver so som,ething else is going on. Open the Nvidia control panel and make sure that Daz Studio is allowed to use CUDA.

If that setting isn't messed up then you need to try getting DDU doing a full driver uninstall and doing a clean driver install.

edited August 2020

?

No.

452.06 is the most up to date driver so som,ething else is going on. Open the Nvidia control panel and make sure that Daz Studio is allowed to use CUDA.

If that setting isn't messed up then you need to try getting DDU doing a full driver uninstall and doing a clean driver install.

No.

When a computer comes with an NVIDIA card, it typically ships with gaming drivers. Sometimes, those don't work with Daz Studio. The solution that worked for me was to get the Creator/Studio drivers.

EDIT: I would also recommend using DDU in conjunction.

• Thank you Margave. I tried the driver and another creative driver. The Nvidia installer always says that they are not compatible with my system (wich is Windows 10 Pro, Build 19041.450).

I'll go on searching. Your tip concerning the creative drivers is very valuable.

Yeah, drivers are screwy. Sometimes you need to wipe everything and start afresh so there's no incompatibilites--which is what the DDU app does. Do some research on that if you can't solve it by other means.

• Thanks for the Tip!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392

From what I remember, you can use the nvidia control panel to configure which program uses which card when you have more than one. Make sure DS uses the nvidia card and not the onboard one.

margrave said:

?

No.

No.

When a computer comes with an NVIDIA card, it typically ships with gaming drivers. Sometimes, those don't work with Daz Studio. The solution that worked for me was to get the Creator/Studio drivers.

I'm using the gaming driver. I've used the gaming driver pretty much continuously even since the very recent advent of the studio drivers. I've never had an issue. The OP is having some other problem.

• Thanks to all. Tomorrow i'll deal with nvidia control panel and DDU and report back.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    margrave said:

?

No.

No.

I can guarantee that no one is using a video card that shipped with a driver (452.06) that came out this month.

Sevrin said:

I can guarantee that no one is using a video card that shipped with a driver (452.06) that came out this month.

I left out the part where I could've said, "So when I went to update my drivers, I updated the gaming drivers on my system instead of being told I needed studio drivers." because I was in a hurry and it didn't seem necessary. Studio drivers fixed the issue--same issue the OP is having.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305
    margrave said:
    Sevrin said:

I left out the part where I could've said, "So when I went to update my drivers, I updated the gaming drivers on my system instead of being told I needed studio drivers." because I was in a hurry and it didn't seem necessary. Studio drivers fixed the issue--same issue the OP is having.

The OP is already using 452.06, which is the current Studio driver.

Sevrin said:

They didn't say they were using the Studio driver, which is why I suggested they use it instead of the gaming driver.

• mclaughmclaugh Posts: 221
    edited August 2020

FWIW, when I opened a ticket because of iray rendering problems, tech support instructed me to always use the Game driver.

That was for 4.11. Maybe the advice has changed for 4.12, but from what I'm seeing and hearing, 4.12 is so buggy and unstable, I'm sticking with 4.11 and the GRD.

Post edited by mclaugh on
  • margrave said:
    Sevrin said:

They didn't say they were using the Studio driver, which is why I suggested they use it instead of the gaming driver.

As far as I am aware the Studio drivers are not different from the Game drivers, they are just versions that have been found more stable (at the possible expense of lacking game-specific updates in the newer gaming drivers).

edited August 2020
    mclaugh said:

FWIW, when I opened a ticket because of iray rendering problems, tech support instructed me to always use the Game driver.

That was for 4.11. Maybe the advice has changed for 4.12, but from what I'm seeing and hearing, 4.12 is so buggy and unstable, I'm sticking with 4.11 and the GRD.

According to this NVIDIA article (https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/20/rtx-studio-drivers-supercharge-apps/), Studio drivers have been thoroughly tested for bugs on creative applications. It sounds like Game-Ready drivers just have the cutting-edge tech for impatient gamers who want the latest kit.

Based on that, it sounds like all Daz creators should be using Studio drivers, because they're more reliable and less buggy.

It's possible in your case there was a fix in the experimental build, but in mine and the OP's case there's a bug or regression in the experimental drivers that isn't present in the stable drivers.

• I tried the 452.06 Studio driver, the 452.06 game driver and the 430.86 driver, wich Richard has recommended in an earlier thread in March. In between, I cleaned the whole driver installation every time with DDU. Result: The 452.06 drivers are not recognized by DS, the 430.86 could not be installed cause ist is not compatible with my System (brand new just installed Build 1904). Any other idea? Does it make sense to try DS 4.11 and if yes, how can I get it?

• I forgot the 419.67 that margrave recommended. It cannot be installed either.

Agrippa23 said:

I forgot the 419.67 that margrave recommended. It cannot be installed either.

They rebranded the line from "creator drivers" to "studio drivers", so when I searched for "latest NVIDIA creator drivers", that's what popped up, even though it's outdated now.

I tried the 452.06 Studio driver, the 452.06 game driver and the 430.86 driver, wich Richard has recommended in an earlier thread in March. In between, I cleaned the whole driver installation every time with DDU. Result: The 452.06 drivers are not recognized by DS, the 430.86 could not be installed cause ist is not compatible with my System (brand new just installed Build 1904).

In that case, I don't know what to say, sorry. :/

Scrubbing with DDU and installing creator drivers got Daz to recognize my GPU.

Agrippa23 said:

I tried the 452.06 Studio driver, the 452.06 game driver and the 430.86 driver, wich Richard has recommended in an earlier thread in March. In between, I cleaned the whole driver installation every time with DDU. Result: The 452.06 drivers are not recognized by DS, the 430.86 could not be installed cause ist is not compatible with my System (brand new just installed Build 1904). Any other idea? Does it make sense to try DS 4.11 and if yes, how can I get it?

Did you check the Nvidia control panel?

margrave said:
    mclaugh said:

According to this NVIDIA article (https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/20/rtx-studio-drivers-supercharge-apps/), Studio drivers have been thoroughly tested for bugs on creative applications. It sounds like Game-Ready drivers just have the cutting-edge tech for impatient gamers who want the latest kit.

Based on that, it sounds like all Daz creators should be using Studio drivers, because they're more reliable and less buggy.

It's possible in your case there was a fix in the experimental build, but in mine and the OP's case there's a bug or regression in the experimental drivers that isn't present in the stable drivers.

Nope. Not an experimental build. I asked specifically about trying the SD after installing the then-current GRD and not being able to render in iRay at all. TS was emphatic that the GRD was the correct one to use and told me to rollback to the three-release-old version. 

mclaugh said:

Nope. Not an experimental build. I asked specifically about trying the SD after installing the then-current GRD and not being able to render in iRay at all. TS was emphatic that the GRD was the correct one to use and told me to rollback to the three-release-old version. 

Allow me to clarify, since I edited my post before you read it: Game-Ready drivers are experimental builds. They have unstable new features to appease the gamers who want the latest tech. But I presume, like what happened with Blender, companies complained that the experimental builds weren't stable enough, so NVIDIA rolled out their own "long-term support" system called the Studio/Creator drivers, which they claim are extensively tested and less buggy.

“Powerful GPUs bring more to the table than just pretty pictures. Within Daz Studio, we're not only rendering stunning images and animations with the Iray render engine, we are leveraging the GPU to perform incredibly complex calculations for simulating cloth and hair. As one of the only solutions available that provides Iray for free to end users, it is critical that we offer reliable functionality to a huge number of end user environments. NVIDIA Studio Driver program is key to helping us deliver on that.” -- Steve Spencer, General Manager and VP of Marketing, Daz3D

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-studio-driver-now-supercharge-your-favorite-creative-apps/

Either something's changed, or there's a miscommunication between Daz's marketing and tech support.

Game ready drivers ARE NOT experimental builds! Please stop spreading untrue claims.

• mclaugh said:

Support would always recommend the Studio drivers, as those are what nVidia recommend.

• Game ready drivers ARE NOT experimental builds! Please stop spreading untrue claims.

Sometimes the thing is defined by what it is defined as not being... if it isn't the certified, super stable version, one might be forgiven for calling it the experimental version. Like version numbers outside the POSIX community, "experimental build" has no real meaning other than what the entity that bestowed the name says it means. There's no reason for @margrave 's definition to have to agree with yours since the term doesn't mean anything anyway.

Game ready drivers ARE NOT experimental builds! Please stop spreading untrue claims.

Sometimes the thing is defined by what it is defined as not being... if it isn't the certified, super stable version, one might be forgiven for calling it the experimental version. Like version numbers outside the POSIX community, "experimental build" has no real meaning other than what the entity that bestowed the name says it means. There's no reason for @margrave 's definition to have to agree with yours since the term doesn't mean anything anyway.

If the entity, in this case Nvidia, releasing it isn't calling it experimental then it is just flat wrong to call it so. Nvidia released game drivers for decades as the single and only drivers for the consumer market and there is no indication that the so called studio drivers are at all different from those, they are after all just specific game drivers they choose to label as studio ones. Nvidia has not released the criteria under which they label them as such, if any actually exist. 

And version numbering can have a great deal of meaning outside POSIX. It depends on the devs doing the versioning. 

But telling people the game drivers are experimental spreads FUD when frequently DS will release requiring a driver newer than the most recent studio driver.

mclaugh said:

Support would always recommend the Studio drivers, as those are what nVidia recommend.

Obviously not true, since they recommended—and I still have the email to prove it—that I only use the GRD going forward.

• So meanwhile I had long sessions with Nvidia's customer service. Without success, the problem is most likely a video card hardware failure. But thanks again to everyone who tried to help.

• mclaugh said:
    mclaugh said:

Obviously not true, since they recommended—and I still have the email to prove it—that I only use the GRD going forward.

Please PM me a copy of the reply.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2020

The only difference between game ready and studio drivers, is that game ready drivers are updated way more frequently with fixes/tweaks for current released games. Game ready drivers become studio drivers. Every once in a great while, they mess up the GRD, so a studio for instance, may wish to play it safe and only use studio drivers. Sometimes studio drivers are not current enough for iray though, and may need a GRD to fix an issue, before it is rolled into the studio drver.

Post edited by TheKD on