Threadripper for IRAY or RTX?

13»

Comments

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957

Just wait till Q1 2020. If these launch for q4 they will hit the stores/online in a big way. There will be lots of stock in January or the AIB's will have messed up badly. That's means if not sales at least cards for MSRP.

But hold on till an actuall announcment this could still just be messed up supply chain from covid.

Yep, it's always good to take on a wait and see attitude! 

Yes, I believe it was the first one. If you're going to learn Blender, you can't go wrong with his "Donut" tutorial, and later searching on Blender Nation for specific things is a useful strategy. Knock yourself out!

Yeah, I have been putting off of watching his library, but ever since Daz's plugin (Great for importing a poseable figure, though it won't import posed figures) and Diffeomorphic DAZ-to-Blender (Cannot import posable character, yet great for posed characters/textures) my interest has been piqued, plus my 3900x devours renders so far!

• JPJP Posts: 60

No, I'm not surprised how many watts 41 GPU can put out. I manage a datacenter. If I had the models I could probably tell you precisely. One of our largest costs is our AC bill.

The big issues with converting a mining rig to rendering are Nvidia only and the threads issue. You need one thread per GPU in iRay. Those mining motherboards are for some fairly old generations of CPU's and that limits you to some pretty low thread count CPU's. Last time I looked at this it seemed like the i7's from that generation were not going to be enough to run a fully populated mining board.

Yes that's correct I mentioned one thread per GPU for IRAY in a post higher up. I ran DAZ on one of the mining rigs last year and only (3) 1070 TI cards were listed in DAZ. So that is when I learned that the CPU was limiting how many cards DAZ could see.

I am curious if 3dsmax with VRAY has this same issue. I'll be testing it one day. I have ASUS Mining Expert boards that support Skylake socket 1151 CPUs. I am going to contact ASUS to see if 6 or 8 core Skylake CPUs will work on the boards. The boards can only take up to 32 GB RAM though. But that should be enough. I only paid $50 for the 2 core / 2 thread CPUs. If I can get a good deal on a 6 or 8 core and it works I might try that just for kicks.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

The highest core/thread you can get on those noards is, depending on specific chipset, is either the 6700 or 7700 at 4c/8t. The 6c and 8c processors are not on the 1151 socket.

• JPJP Posts: 60
    edited July 2020

The highest core/thread you can get on those noards is, depending on specific chipset, is either the 6700 or 7700 at 4c/8t. The 6c and 8c processors are not on the 1151 socket.

The Intel® Core™ i9-9900T Processor is socket 1151. And it has 8 cores. I spoke with ASUS and they said it has not been tested and recommended but it might boot / work. But they don't recommend it. If I go with a 4 core / 8 thread I should be able to get 7 NVIDIA cards to work.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191044/intel-core-i9-9900t-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

https://levvvel.com/lga-1151-cpu-list/

Post edited by JP on
  • kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Some CS drone may have told you that but it won't. While all the 9000 series chips are on the lga1151 socket they require a different chipset from the 6000/7000 CPU's. Intel does this to make people change motherboards regularly. You can find lots and lots of articles on this if you look around. IIRC those mining boards are B250's? 9000 CPU's require 300 series chipsets.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,301

My advice is go with the threadripper, get it into the machine and worry about everything around it later.

Get the biggest processor you can possibly afford and skimp out on the ram and graphics card. Then slowly over time add them in in a big way.

With the lanes a threadripper will give you you will have a machine that will take you well into the future.

This may take longer than you wish for it all to come together.

I bought an I9 processor and three years later I am just getting adequate ram to run it at its full potential.

Go big on the processor first.